• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

Net_Wrecker said:
Why don't you just go to the Arena? Reach ALREADY has a dedicated DMR list (2 now with SWAT being separated), I don't see why Team Slayer can't just be that, TEAM SLAYER. Not Pro, not DMR, not Elites, just SA-LAY-ER.
Variety is the spice of life.

Soon people will want playlist for certain maps...

"Where is my Asylum playlist!!!!"

Sill4

I don't even think CE needs a remake. It plays just as well now as it did back in the pre-Halo 2 days.

Now Halo 2, well it's just crying out for a remake. It introduced a ton of new things and had so much story packed into the campaign. It's well known though, that Bungie had 10 shitloads of problems during development, and much of the game was rushed to meet deadline.

Unicorn said:

I do miss the days of Halo 2 where I could turn on the game and play some BTB ctf or assault whenever I felt like it.

Since Halo 3, these games usually get vetoed for slayer, or god damned territories.

I'm not a fan of bungie's matchmaking/ gametype forcing :(

Unicorn said:

Variety is fine when I'm in Team Objective, or Big Team, but sometimes (most of the time) I just want default Reach with Armor Abilities and AR/Pistol starts so I hit up the Team Slayer list to, y'know, play some TEAM SLAYER.

Bungie be hating on people who like default Reach. They be hating.

Magni

Net_Wrecker said:
Why don't you just go to the Arena? Reach ALREADY has a dedicated DMR list (2 now with SWAT being separated), I don't see why Team Slayer can't just be that, TEAM SLAYER. Not Pro, not DMR, not Elites, just SA-LAY-ER.

Because Bungie dropped the ball and didn't include Slayer Pro in the Arena.

And Slayer Pro is just as much a part of Halo as Slayer is, go boot up CE, what do you have? Slayer and Slayer Pro.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sill4 said:
I honestly think that If CE was remade in Reach engine, it would greatly increase the enjoyability by adding things like vehicle jacking and certain AA's, especially for enemies.

Also, after years of playing CE, I think that if the CE weapons were replaced by their Reach counterparts + DMR, the game would not play too differently. Obviously, stuff like Spartan Lasers and Plasma Launchers and Orbiyal Strike guns would have no place, and usable energy swords and fuel rod guns would be limited.

I was going to suggest that 343 add in one or two extra missions, involving the Falcon and/or brutes, but CE had such a great flow so I don't think that would be a great idea until we see what they are capable of.

My opinion, don't kill me bro's.

I don't know anything about anything, but the ODST thing was a Bungie experiment. So all the people who worked on Halo 3 and ODST had that much familiarity with the game to make ODST in such a short(ish) period of time.

Also, again just guessing, Bungie probably won't want to hand out their development tools willy nilly.

Unless that Bungie Aerospace thing is a engine licensing thing like someone guessed.

MagniHarvald said:

And Slayer Pro is just as much a part of Halo as Slayer is, go boot up CE, what do you have? Slayer and Slayer Pro.

It was in there, but it really messed with the maps. One teams spawn would have way more power weapons than the other. It also still had radar.

Get over it, Default slayer is played less than slayer DMRs/Pro for a reason. It's way better. If they called it Default Slayer and had you spawn with a DMR you wouldn't even notice.

Unicorn said:

To be fair once the playlists are sorted out and people can play what they enjoy a lot of the moaning will die down. Personally I think Reach's matchmaking feels a bit all over the place at the moment, I can go into any playlist and end up with anything. :lol The latest update helped a bit, but its still basically pot luck what your going to get when going into some playlists.

Rumble Pit is the perfect example, I can get anything from pseudo team games like Infection and Juggernaut. I can get party gametypes like Race. I can get a ton of various objective gametypes. But I rarely get straight slayer.

I dont actually mind that, because on the most part I sort of enjoy all of those different modes depending on my mood. BUT it would be awesome if I could say "I want to play gametype x" and just go into the playlist for it. A lot of the problems with quitters right now is just that theyre not getting to play what they want.

Yesterday I really wanted to try out Juggernaut, it took a HUGE number of games to get it, and to be honest about halfway through I just let my sister take over when a gametype I didnt like came up. :lol Its not too much of a stretch to see why people quit/ idle.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I want the infection question answered. WHY does everybody choose it?!

Sill4

LAUGHTREY said:
I don't know anything about anything, but the ODST thing was a Bungie experiment. So all the people who worked on Halo 3 and ODST had that much familiarity with the game to make ODST in such a short(ish) period of time.

Also, again just guessing, Bungie probably won't want to hand out their development tools willy nilly.

Unless that Bungie Aerospace thing is a engine licensing thing like someone guessed.

It was in there, but it really messed with the maps. One teams spawn would have way more power weapons than the other. It also still had radar.

Get over it, Default slayer is played less than slayer DMRs/Pro for a reason. It's way better. If they called it Default Slayer and had you spawn with a DMR you wouldn't even notice.
I wonder if the tech used to make Halo went to microsoft as part of the Halo handover? It's hard to imagine a core Halo game with another engine.

GhaleonEB said:
I'd love to get a game or two set up in customs this weekend to see how the current version plays. I have a list of possible changes, ranging from small to enormous depending how it goes. Thanks again for testing it out the other night, I know it was a bit rough but I needed guinea pigs. :D
I'll be available late Sunday or first thing Monday morning. I would love to help you test out your map if either of those times work for you.

catfish said:
I want the infection question answered. WHY does everybody choose it?!
Because space zombies

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair once the playlists are sorted out and people can play what they enjoy a lot of the moaning will die down. Personally I think Reach's matchmaking feels a bit all over the place at the moment, I can go into any playlist and end up with anything. :lol The latest update helped a bit, but its still basically pot luck what your going to get when going into some playlists.

Rumble Pit is the perfect example, I can get anything from pseudo team games like Infection and Juggernaut. I can get party gametypes like Race. I can get a ton of various objective gametypes. But I rarely get straight slayer.

I dont actually mind that, because on the most part I sort of enjoy all of those different modes depending on my mood. BUT it would be awesome if I could say "I want to play gametype x" and just go into the playlist for it. A lot of the problems with quitters right now is just that theyre not getting to play what they want.

Yesterday I really wanted to try out Juggernaut, it took a HUGE number of games to get it, and to be honest about halfway through I just let my sister take over when a gametype I didnt like came up. :lol Its not too much of a stretch to see why people quit/ idle.
Yeah playlists are just dumb in my opinion, they need to make them more granular (or even better, just let us pick the mode we want to play, we're all adults here). Lord knows enough people are playing right now to populate just about any game type you can think of.

Sill4 said:
I don't even think CE needs a remake. It plays just as well now as it did back in the pre-Halo 2 days.

Now Halo 2, well it's just crying out for a remake. It introduced a ton of new things and had so much story packed into the campaign. It's well known though, that Bungie had 10 shitloads of problems during development, and much of the game was rushed to meet deadline.

I do miss the days of Halo 2 where I could turn on the game and play some BTB ctf or assault whenever I felt like it.

Since Halo 3, these games usually get vetoed for slayer, or god damned territories.

I'm not a fan of bungie's matchmaking/ gametype forcing :(

I agree 100% with the bolded BUT I dont want a remake. I just want a re-release with Live enabled play. Im sure not many people would be into it, and I doubt I would even play it all that much considering how much stuff there is out now. but I know I would get my moneys worth twice over.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Sill4 said:
I wonder if the tech used to make Halo went to microsoft as part of the Halo handover? It's hard to imagine a core Halo game with another engine.
I doubt it, seriously seriously doubt it.

LAUGHTREY said:

Pretty sure I would notice considering the whole point of why I like "default" Slayer more is BECAUSE everyone doesn't spawn with a DMR. It does change how people play these maps though you probably haven't noticed because 80% of the time, you're spawning with a DMR.

Scarecrow

Sill4 said:
I honestly think that If CE was remade in Reach engine, it would greatly increase the enjoyability by adding things like vehicle jacking and certain AA's, especially for enemies.

Also, after years of playing CE, I think that if the CE weapons were replaced by their Reach counterparts + DMR, the game would not play too differently. Obviously, stuff like Spartan Lasers and Plasma Launchers and Orbiyal Strike guns would have no place, and usable energy swords and fuel rod guns would be limited.

My opinion, don't kill me bro's.
oh, God. Please no. I'd like to play Halo with more than one weapon again.

aesop said:
What's worse is playing RR on Boneyard and spawning in the core room on a mongoose. I also spawned on the core capture platform. Talk about epic facepalm.
This happened to me as well. Seriously what the fuck.

darthbob

bobs99 ... said:
I agree 100% with the bolded BUT I dont want a remake. I just want a re-release with Live enabled play. Im sure not many people would be into it, and I doubt I would even play it all that much considering how much stuff there is out now. but I know I would get my moneys worth twice over.

No, no, no.

I don't care about the flak for this, but if you think about it really hard with that little brain of yours you'd know that an online release of Halo: CE is just a terrible, terrible idea.

What with the netcode and pistol, and all that bullshit, it'd be a clusterfrak.

Sill4

bobs99 ... said:
I'm all for this, brother, and if Perfect Dark got a re-release, then there's hope for Halo.

Although for the reasons you listed, microsoft may think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Or even worse, it gets approved, but the final product is so half-assed, we will wish it never happened.

darthbob said:
No, no, no.

I don't care about the flak for this, but if you think about it really hard with that little brain of yours you'd know that an online release of Halo: CE is just a terrible, terrible idea.

wat

MagniHarvald said:

Bungie just shot themselves in the foot.

(etc)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Net_Wrecker said:
Pretty sure I would notice considering the whole point of why I like "default" Slayer more is BECAUSE everyone doesn't spawn with a DMR. It does change how people play these maps though you probably haven't noticed because 80% of the time, you're spawning with a DMR.
Halo 2 and Halo 3 both ended up with 99 if not 100% of the gametypes spawning with a BR.

Reach has now started out with it's team slayer playlist as follows:

Slayer (AR)
Slayer Pro (DMR)
Slayer DMRs (DMR)
Elite Slayer (NRifle, different, but not really.)

So, looks like DMR start is more "default" than AR/Pistol.

and if by changing the way people play the maps means they use a Pistol instead of a DMR which is basically the exact same gun then yes. You are right, they play different.

Blueblur1

Slayer Pro itself isn't the main issue then. The DMR is. Well, there are always going to be people that prefer the chug of an automatic weapon but they're the minority among seasoned Halo players. In the past I'd definitely say that the AR wins out when you weigh in all Halo players but maybe that's changing now? The voting option is very powerful and maybe the tide has turned. I, for one, couldn't be happier that when I go into Team Slayer I have the opportunity to play a DMR start gametype.

Edit: Big typo in the first sentence. I meant to type "isn't."

GhaleonEB

Neuromancer said:
Any tips on getting this (level and difficulty)?
Do Heroic on pretty much any mission but the first one. Or, Normal with a few skulls on (Thunderstorm and Iron, since you can't die to get the challenge). I'm going to try for it on the second mission, myself.

Hugbot

Neuromancer said:
My one tip is to make sure you have Iron on, free score multiplier since you can't die anyway. And if you die, go into the lobby and restart, don't trust the pause menu.

Neuromancer said:
I always just do normal with a ton of skulls on. The mission where you're flying from building to building (sorry, forget the name) is a good one because you're blowing up lots of banshees which get you a good amount of points.

Kuroyume

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:

Slayer Pro and Elites are both Slayer. I don't understand your point. I dislike being forced to use Sprint all the time but having the DMR as a starting weapon is a relief. I just want regular slayer + DMR. I like no radar too but invis + no radar would be retarded.

aesop

Neuromancer said:
This happened to me as well. Seriously what the fuck.
I'm usually pretty patient with the glitches and goofs that Bungie makes. "It will be fixed soon enough," is what I tell myself. But the playlist changes took a while to come out because of playtesting, according to Bungie. So, you can't help but wonder what the hell they are talking about. Did this shit not show up? It had to, right?

This is near the bottom on my list of gripes, but that doesn't mean I'm not sitting on my couch dumbstruck thinking, "What the fuck, Bungie?"

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
OuterWorldVoice said:

Yeah like I said, don't know anything about anything so. I just assumed they'd try to keep that stuff close to the chest when they bought themselves back.

That's good news for a Halo Reach ODST type game then I guess.

Blueblur1 said:
Slayer Pro itself isn't the main issue then. The DMR is. Well, there are always going to be people that prefer the chug of an automatic weapon but they're the minority among seasoned Halo players. In the past I'd definitely say that the AR wins out when you weigh in all Halo players but maybe that's changing now? The voting option is very powerful and maybe the tide has turned. I, for one, couldn't be happier that when I go into Team Slayer I have the opportunity to play a DMR start gametype.

Edit: Big typo in the first sentence. I meant to type "isn't."

Well, Slayer pro as it is in Arena and I guess regular TS has some power weps replaced on one side but not the other. Boardwalk is really weird in that whoever gets to rockets get a lot of rocket ammo, sword isn't on reflection, stuff like that. Just makes the spawns uneven.

LAUGHTREY said:
Halo 2 and Halo 3 both ended up with 99 if not 100% of the gametypes spawning with a BR.

Reach has now started out with it's team slayer playlist as follows:

Slayer (AR)
Slayer Pro (DMR)
Slayer DMRs (DMR)
Elite Slayer (NRifle, different, but not really.)

So, looks like DMR start is more "default" than AR/Pistol.

and if by changing the way people play the maps means they use a Pistol instead of a DMR which is basically the exact same gun then yes. You are right, they play different.

The difference is that the AR/Pistol combo doesn't suck now, and I actually want to use them. And if you think the Pistol is as good as the DMR at distance, joo crazy.

Kuroyume said:
Slayer Pro and Elites are both Slayer. I don't understand your point. I dislike being forced to use Sprint all the time but having the DMR as a starting weapon is a relief. I just want regular slayer + DMR. I like no radar too but invis + no radar would be retarded.

Slayer Pro, and Elites especially play completely different to regular Slayer, that's my point, and I don't enjoy them as much. You being "relieved" that you have the DMR at spawn is exactly my problem, there's no reason to pick up anything aside from maybe the Sniper, or Rockets.

Blueblur1

When are any of the other weapons aside from power weapons useful anyway? Do you seriously pick up the Plasma Repeater or Needler? They're hardly useful unless you can an opponent by surprise.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Net_Wrecker said:
The difference is that the AR/Pistol combo doesn't suck now, and I actually want to use them. And if you think the Pistol is as good as the DMR at distance, joo crazy.

Slayer Pro, and Elites especially play completely different to regular Slayer, that's my point, and I don't enjoy them as much. You being "relieved" that you have the DMR at spawn is exactly my problem, there's no reason to pick up anything aside from maybe the Sniper, or Rockets.

They're the same basic gun except you have to shoot the pistol a little slower to reset the bloom, but it makes up for it with the cqc because you can shoot it so much faster than the DMR for a beatdown.

It's a tradeoff, and pretty much keeps it the same.

Blueblur1 said:
When are any of the other weapons aside from power weapons useful anyway? Do you seriously pick up the Plasma Repeater or Needler? They're hardly useful unless you can an opponent by surprise.

Against a DMR? No. But against the AR/Pistol combo, the Needler is useful, Plasma Repeater not so much, but that thing sucks anyway.

I'm obviously in the minority so w/e. Everyone loves DMR spawns and I don't, I'll accept it.

Ramirez said:
It removes their crutch and they nose dive into the ground.

I don't give a damn about the radar, I actually prefer it NOT being on because then I can actually assassinate people when I get the stealth advantage. My beef is with constant DMR spawns.

Kuroyume

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:

Wrong. I always pick up everything in case I can't reload my clip on the DMR fast enough. I tend to avoid the AR/Covenant Repeater unless I can't find another better weapon. My problem with AR/Pistol starts is that most of the maps including the smaller ones are actually quite big and neither weapon is suitable for use on them.

Neuromancer said:
Quickest way would probably be the Sabre portion. The challenge doesn't say you have to complete a mission, just reach 10,000 points without dying. I racked up a ton of points with Catch, Cloud, and Famine on, and I only died once while trying something stupid.

Anyone that prefers an automatic weapon over the DMR/Pistol/Snipe is just bad. That's basically all there is to it. The skill gap between spamming a huge crosshair on an enemy and getting a kill over getting a five shot is so friggen large its crazy. The sad thing is theres no compensation for this skill, an AR in this game can eat away at your shields just as easy as a skillful five shots to the head which actually requires some finger dexterity. Thats the problem. The game plays great sometimes, other times it just caters to bad kids just as much as Halo 3 did. Thats when I get offended.

That's why I'll always prefer DMR only gametypes.

and yes why the fuck isn't my stat page guy armor updating!?

darthbob said:
No, no, no.

I play Halo CE to this day on my PC. So thinking with this little brain of mine im pretty sure I would love to be able to play it on my Xbox.

Now have a think with your little brain, a re-release with live enabled play would probably require actually programming the live enabled play right? So if they did a good job, the netcode would be a lot better than Halo PC. So for fans of Halo 1's multiplayer it would be heaven. The Halo 1 gameplay with good netcode!

Now think really hard with your little brain about how many times peoples opinions on stuff has differed from yours. Im part of a group of people who loved the Pistol, I also loved Halo Ce's little quirks, nothing beats CTF on Blood Gulch - the vehicle combat on CE was so much fun.

Now, if you want to post back in a rude condensing manner I suggest you REALLY think with that little brain of yours about what your going to say. :D

Kuroyume said:
Wrong. I always pick up everything in case I can't reload my clip on the DMR fast enough. I tend to avoid the AR/Covenant Repeater unless I can't find another better weapon. My problem with AR/Pistol starts is that most of the maps including the smaller ones are actually quite big and neither weapon is suitable for use on them.

You are not everyone. A TON of my deaths in DMR spawn matches are from someone peppering me up from long range, and his buddy finishing me off from mid. I wouldn't have an issue if they actively PICKED UP those DMRs, but everyone spawns with it, so it's happening all over the map. I truly believe that DMR spawns make the maps even worse. All of the Forge Maps turn into "Hold Your Base" games with people picking each other off, and having the time of their lives.

xxjuicesxx said:
Anyone that prefers an automatic weapon over the DMR/Pistol/Snipe is just bad. That's basically all there is to it. The skill gap between spamming a huge crosshair on an enemy and getting a kill over getting a five shot is so friggen large its crazy. The sad thing is theres no compensation for this skill, an AR in this game can eat away at your shields just as easy as a skillful five shots to the head which actually requires some finger dexterity. Thats the problem. The game plays great sometimes, other times it just caters to bad kids just as much as Halo 3 did. Thats when I get offended.

That's why I'll always prefer DMR only gametypes.

and yes why the fuck isn't my stat page guy armor updating!?

Le sigh, maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough. It's not about killing people with an AR, or preferring the AR. Hell, I DROP THE AR IF CATCH MYSELF RUNNING OVER A DMR. It's about how the matches play out when everyone SPAWNS with one.

darthbob

USF said:
stupid question
why isn't my playermodel armor updated on bungie's page?

Not a stupid question at all.

They're still working on it, and I'd assume that it'll be working well in about the next playlist update.

From what I understand, the player model data is sent from the Xbox 360 itself, and it not as customizable as the player model was from Halo 3. i.e. changing the URL of the image for different combinations of armor.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Net_Wrecker said:
You are not everyone. A TON of my deaths in DMR spawn matches are from someone peppering me up from long range, and his buddy finishing me off from mid. I wouldn't have an issue if they actively PICKED UP those DMRs, but everyone spawns with it, so it's happening all over the map. I truly believe that DMR spawns make the maps even worse. All of the Forge Maps turn into "Hold Your Base" games with people picking each other off, and having the time of their lives.

Teamwork, they has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom