• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
vhfive said:
and I play too many Team Slayer games when all I want to play is Slayer DMRs/Slayer Pro (mostly Slayer Pro)
I enjoy the gametype every now and then but playing a game where the Nerfle and DMR are the only guns used 98% of the time...that's boring to me. It's the same reason why I don't really like playing Slayer DMRs too often because 98% of the time it's DMRs. I also don't like being forced to use Sprint all the time. I'm not unwilling to compromise. I'd be fine with both gametypes in Team Slayer if their weighting was reduced significantly. I understand the logic of spawning with the DMR on bigger maps, but on medium and small maps? AR/Pistol starts work really well.
Sill4 said:
I don't even think CE needs a remake. It plays just as well now as it did back in the pre-Halo 2 days.
Eh... Before Reach came out, I would've agreed with you, but over the weekend I went back to Halo: CE, and after playing Reach for few weeks, it now feels pretty dated. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed playing it, it's just that there are some aspects that could use revamping if there were a remake (stuff like gun feedback, etc).
Neuromancer said:
Any tips on getting this (level and difficulty)?
LNoS on Heroic. You don't even need to turn on any skulls (unless you prefer too). I got the challenge in the process of defending Anchor 9.
Blueblur1 said:
When are any of the other weapons aside from power weapons useful anyway? Do you seriously pick up the Plasma Repeater or Needler? They're hardly useful unless you can an opponent by surprise.
Sarcasm? The Needler is really, really useful. I've gotten a bunch of kills with it. I've used the Needler a lot of the time, even against a DMR/Nerfle user, and have come out on top.

cuevas said:
What an awfully boring movie that would be. Oh here is another set piece, and another, and another with MC killing grunts and elites throughout. Oh and here's an hour of flood footage! Halo 1 is a great game, would make a shit movie. A movie based on MC would be the shit though.
You're taking it too literally.

S1kkZ

The Lamonster said:
In a perfect world, I'd have Speilberg direct the Halo movie and have it based on Halo 1 only. It would use only Marty's music from the first three games, but fully orchestrated. It would also have to use the original voices for MC and Cortana.
a film based on the first game? sorry, that would be boring as hell.
only way to go: film version of the first book (fall of reach). tons of action, origin story of the chief/cortana/halsey/keyes/spartans, great story.

On the AR/Pistol starts vs DMR starts-

While the DMR is a great fit for the sandbox, it is overpowered for everyone to start with. Games become more about picking people off rather than creative use of othe weapons. DMRS are strong enough that there is little incentive to pick up other weapons and when everyone has them then the way the game plays out ends up very similar because it is mostly dmr vs dmr, never DMR vs needler when at mid to close range, pistol vs shotgun at mid to close range. No protecting the sniper at the top of sniper tower with a shotgun at the door. It is just a pickoff fest. I think DMR starts are more balanced than most other starts (Rockets, shotty/snipes) and it definately has its place in the rotation. I just think that Pistol/AR starts is the best because it provides a good starting base for people who just spawned while still giving incentive to pick up and play with the sandbox of weapons.

cuevas said:
Yeah even though I only consider myself an average player pistol/ar starts give me an advantage, it seems that you are right and the pistol is too much for some people to handle.

I have a 5.8 k/d with pistol but only 1.66 k/d with DMR.

You can't really use those stats though. Like I would have a negative k/d with the pistol because I don't use the pistol. I still have positive k/ds though for most my games, so whats the point in USING the pistol? The DMR is used more often so obviously you're going to get killed by it more so you're k/d will be closer to 1.0

Basically if you USE the pistol a lot you're k/d will go up with it because less people use it than the AR or DMR. Thats all I'm saying. Its not a good stat to look at. Its almost like using a DMR k/d in campaign the enemies don't use it so it'll go up or down depending on how much YOU use it rather than the actual skill you have with it.

Red

darthbob said:
I wasn't referencing you specifically. Just the Halo community in general.

I still think Halo CE as a LIVE enabled game is just a terrible idea if they kept it 'vanilla'.

Just not a game that's conducive to online play in my opinion.
Even today, more people play Halo PC than Halo 2 PC.

In a hypothetical remake of CE, vehicle jacking and AAs would be nice. What I'd really love is online co-op and multiplayer, and maybe some bigger battles in the campaign. More enemies all at once. Something to eclipse those three-way battles on Two Betrayals.

I just saw a Zero Punctuation review of Halo Reach. Watch out if you havent completed the game because its FULL of Spoilers. Its like he went on full dick mode and decided to ruin everything. :lol

Im not even going to link it incase people get spoiled. Its not even that funny :( - I can sort of agree on some of his comments, but on the whole its clear he just doesnt get Halo.

aesop

S1kkZ said:
only way to go: film version of the first book (fall of reach). tons of action, origin story of the chief/cortana/halsey/keyes/spartans, great story.
I agree with this. I think the story of Halo:CE is interesting but not really enough to fill a movie. Now, if they combined the stories of CE and First Strike for a second movie… that's a concept I could get behind.

Neuromancer said:
I miss the days where we thought Neil Blomkampf and Peter Jackson were involved. =\
Me too. At least Jackson's back on the Hobbit...

S1kkZ said:
Yes please. Plus, there's the already-made Noble armor that would need to make a cameo. :D

darthbob

bobs99 ... said:
I just saw a Zero Punctuation review of Halo Reach. Watch out if you havent completed the game because its FULL of Spoilers. Its like he went on full dick mode and decided to ruin everything. :lol

Im not even going to link it incase people get spoiled. Its not even that funny :( - I can sort of agree on some of his comments, but on the whole its clear he just doesnt get Halo.

I stopped watching (and laughing) at his reviews after he did Crysis.

There's only so long at which you can beat a dead horse. i.e. talk fast with a british accent

Sill4

I actually wrote a summary for a Halo film that took place during the first game, but the focus wasn't on Chief. He and Cortana still represent, but much of the story was from the eyes of non-spartans, and the battles that took place all over the ring that weren't shown in the game.

I don't know what the hell I did with it.

darthbob said:
Is your name William by any chance? :lol
No.

darthbob

Sill4 said:
I actually wrote a summary for a Halo film that took place during the first game, but the focus wasn't on Chief. He and Cortana still represent, but much of the story was from the eyes of non-spartans, and the battles that took place all over the ring that weren't shown in the game.

I don't know what the hell I did with it.

Is your name William by any chance? :lol

ElRenoRaven

Net_Wrecker said:
Why don't you just go to the Arena? Reach ALREADY has a dedicated DMR list (2 now with SWAT being separated), I don't see why Team Slayer can't just be that, TEAM SLAYER. Not Pro, not DMR, not Elites, just SA-LAY-ER.

I don't mind elite slayer. As long as the slayer in question uses various armor abilities and has shields and doesn't start with a DMR or Sniper Rifle in everyone's hands then I'm happy.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So what are the chances that Team Objective playlist even lasts as long as it did in Halo 3? Seems to be a consistently low player count relative to the number of people online, and half the games are just people running around and shooting each other. No wonder Bad Company 2 couldn't stay in the top five on Xbox Live. :lol

PsychoRaven said:
I don't mind elite slayer. As long as the slayer in question uses various armor abilities and has shields and doesn't start with a DMR or Sniper Rifle in everyone's hands then I'm happy.

It sucks horribly in BTB. Not enough good weapons on the map for eight people on both teams, and half of the shit can't be replenished with ammo.

Falagard

cuevas said:
Didn't you see how they didn't include the marathon emblem? Halo, and everything halo, belongs to M$.

Microsoft may own Halo IP, but that absolutely does not mean that they automatically have the right to use the game engine that Bungie developed from the ground up for the franchise. Those rights would have to have been either signed away via a contract, perhaps when they separated from Microsoft or earlier, or licensed to Microsoft with the ownership being retained by Bungie so they could use some or all of it for future titles.

Here are other examples of technology that may or may not have been given to Microsoft:

1. The relevant web application code, and backend infrastructure for the Bungie.net website that manages stats reporting, heatmaps, download queuing, etc.

2. Rendering saved films code and infrastructure.

3. The in-house tools used to create content for the engine, including map building, geometry exporting from other tools, sound authoring, etc.

4. Their in-house motion capture systems and technology.

Dax01 said:
I enjoy the gametype every now and then but playing a game where the Nerfle and DMR are the only guns used 98% of the time...that's boring to me. It's the same reason why I don't really like playing Slayer DMRs too often because 98% of the time it's DMRs. I also don't like being forced to use Sprint all the time. I'm not unwilling to compromise. I'd be fine with both gametypes in Team Slayer if their weighting was reduced significantly. I understand the logic of spawning with the DMR on bigger maps, but on medium and small maps? AR/Pistol starts work really well.

Sarcasm? The Needler is really, really useful. I've gotten a bunch of kills with it. I've used the Needler a lot of the time, even against a DMR/Nerfle user, and have come out on top.

Blergmeister said:
On the AR/Pistol starts vs DMR starts-

While the DMR is a great fit for the sandbox, it is overpowered for everyone to start with. Games become more about picking people off rather than creative use of othe weapons. DMRS are strong enough that there is little incentive to pick up other weapons and when everyone has them then the way the game plays out ends up very similar because it is mostly dmr vs dmr, never DMR vs needler when at mid to close range, pistol vs shotgun at mid to close range. No protecting the sniper at the top of sniper tower with a shotgun at the door. It is just a pickoff fest. I think DMR starts are more balanced than most other starts (Rockets, shotty/snipes) and it definately has its place in the rotation. I just think that Pistol/AR starts is the best because it provides a good starting base for people who just spawned while still giving incentive to pick up and play with the sandbox of weapons.

PsychoRaven said:

These guys get it. DMR lovers are happy, but where's the love for AR/Pistol fans?

ARE WE NOT WORTHY, BUNGIE?

Scarecrow

A movie based on Halo 1 would be the best way to go. For it to work, you'd need to have a permanent little squad that would join chief through the movie, kind of like the crew in the recent Rambo movie. They would add much needed character to the story as well as be a foil to the fantastical abilities of MC.

A Master Chief origin story would be pointless. People don't want to watch a children's boot camp. Save that for the Ender's Game movie :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dax01 said:

Fear the pink mist. I've gotten tons of kills with the Needler including against guys who clearly thought they could take me down face-to-face with "the right" weapon. Then BOOM. They splodeywodeyeded all to pieces.

The Needler, like a few other weapons, is a bit lateral in its strategy. I've found it upsets the gameplan of people who are using a straightforward weapon (such as a precision gun).

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
"Some information" about the new Bungie project:
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1125907p1.html
After lamenting that Bungie spent ten years creating a mega-universe that players only experienced for six to eight hours at a time (he's only talking about the single-player campaign here, of course), he dropped this wonderfully cryptic springboard for debate: "Wouldn't it be great if we could make a world that was always there for you?"
Hmmm!

Between that, Bungie Aerospace and the post-campaign message in Reach, I'm quite intrigued. Definitely points to some level of persistence.

LiK

bobs99 ... said:

yea, he usually spoils the games he reviews. i tend to only watch his reviews for games i played or don't plan on playing.

the funny thing is that i think he actually liked Reach even with all his criticisms.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Cerrius said:
Looks like the MMO rumors are true

I'm placing money now on a Guild Wars model rather than WoW with guns (aka World of Starcraft).

Three installments across that ten year span, each one a large sandbox world taking advantage of Bungie's expertise in sandbox AI for shooters. No fee for basic online play to party up with fire teams and go into combat areas, but perhaps some micro for special features, character slots, filming capability, etc. Something you can log onto and go shoot stuff in a co-op party with for "quests" but definitely an action game. Borderlands MMO basically.

Sill4

Scarecrow said:
A movie based on Halo 1 would be the best way to go. For it to work, you'd need to have a permanent little squad that would join chief through the movie, kind of like the crew in the recent Rambo movie. They would add much needed character to the story as well as be a foil to the fantastical abilities of MC.

A Master Chief origin story would be pointless. People don't want to watch a children's boot camp. Save that for the Ender's Game movie :lol
This is sort of what I was talking about, except they don't follow Chief.

In my little crappy writeup, Chief was more of a force of nature than a character.

I did Halo 2 also, since when I came up with the idea wasback in '05 or'06.

If a movie does come out, hopefully it could serve as a means to set in stone certain elements of the canon that have been in question. I think some people are really upset about the earlier novels and games being retconned, but really it was to be expected with such a vast AND young universe.

zlatko

Banned
Had a game earlier today on Pinnacle where it spawned me in the exact spot 3 times in a row, with an opposing team member literally next to me everytime to kill me 3 times in a row.

Come
the
fuck
on.

big ander

GhaleonEB said:
After lamenting that Bungie spent ten years creating a mega-universe that players only experienced for six to eight hours at a time (he's only talking about the single-player campaign here, of course), he dropped this wonderfully cryptic springboard for debate: "Wouldn't it be great if we could make a world that was always there for you?"
Hmmm!

Between that, Bungie Aerospace and the post-campaign message in Reach, I'm quite intrigued. Definitely points to some level of persistence.
Oooooh.
I'm excited.

Sill4

GhaleonEB said:
Hmmm!

Indeed. Hell, I play those "8 hour" games endlessly, so if Bungie is creating something with even more replay value, then hot diggity damn.

-fake edit- A Bungie mmo?

.....hmmmmm

Cynar

Kaijima said:
I'm placing money now on a Guild Wars model rather than WoW with guns (aka World of Starcraft).

Three installments across that ten year span, each one a large sandbox world taking advantage of Bungie's expertise in sandbox AI for shooters. No fee for basic online play to party up with fire teams and go into combat areas, but perhaps some micro for special features, character slots, filming capability, etc. Something you can log onto and go shoot stuff in a co-op party with for "quests" but definitely an action game. Borderlands MMO basically.

You know they signed with Activision right? :p

The Lamonster said:
In a perfect world, I'd have Speilberg direct the Halo movie and have it based on Halo 1 only. It would use only Marty's music from the first three games, but fully orchestrated. It would also have to use the original voices for MC and Cortana.

In a perfect world I'd have Steven Spielberg working with Bloomkamp to make a halo 10 part miniseries based on a military campaign following a spartan squad.

Band of Brothers... in space...

ElRenoRaven

Falagard said:
Microsoft may own Halo IP, but that absolutely does not mean that they automatically have the right to use the game engine that Bungie developed from the ground up for the franchise. Those rights would have to have been either signed away via a contract, perhaps when they separated from Microsoft or earlier, or licensed to Microsoft with the ownership being retained by Bungie so they could use some or all of it for future titles.

Here are other examples of technology that may or may not have been given to Microsoft:

1. The relevant web application code, and backend infrastructure for the Bungie.net website that manages stats reporting, heatmaps, download queuing, etc.

2. Rendering saved films code and infrastructure.

3. The in-house tools used to create content for the engine, including map building, geometry exporting from other tools, sound authoring, etc.

4. Their in-house motion capture systems and technology.

Odds are I see Bungie being nice to Microsoft and the fans and giving them most of the Bungie.net stuff. More so because both have talked about the fact that Bungie is going to eventually hand it off to Microsoft to run.

Also I can see Bungie giving them the tools to be able and create content for the game and or patch it if need be once Bungie is officially done and moved on.

Now the motion capture stuff yea that I don't see them giving because anyone can do motion capture. That's no big secret.

ElRenoRaven

You know I think Bungie could please everyone on both sides of this debate.

Give us "Noob Losers" a couple of playlists with AR/Pistol starts and give the "Skillful pro" players a playlist with DMR/DMR starts with DMR's replacing the grenades.

GhaleonEB

Cuban Legend said:
Oni Sequel/MMO? Do want.
Bungie does not own the rights to Oni, they lost that along with Myth to Take-Two. Oni, Myth and Halo are the IP's Bungie has given up, I think they own all the rest of their back catalog. And at any rate, Bungie has confirmed multiple times that this is a new IP.

That's if you weren't joking. If you were: haha, jolly good one.

les papillons sexuels said:
In a perfect world I'd have Steven Spielberg working with Bloomkamp to make a halo 10 part miniseries based on a military campaign following a spartan squad.

Band of Brothers... in space...

This would actually be my idea too.

My version that would actually have a chance of happening in the real world either follow a squad of Marines as they fight against a superior enemy, or, if Spartans have to be in it, it would emphasize how, for all their skill, Spartans are just as helpless as anyone else in stopping the Covenant.

That's one of the big things I liked about Reach: even Spartan badassery means jack shit. Nothing Noble did so much as slowed down the Covenant. Even
Jorge killing the Long Night of Solace meant absolutely nothing in regards to saving Reach.
As fun as it is to make an entire galactic empire your bitch as the Master Chief, it would be a boring movie. There's quite a lot of symbolism potential in Halo that, if done well (which, considering the game movie track record, would obviously be difficult) could really make it a good movie as opposed to just a good action movie, but that probably won't happen.

In short, I'd like something like District 9, Dark City(although I am aware that that wasn't really an invasion per say, the tone and depth is more what I am referring to) or the original War of the Worlds, but we are probably going to get a Transformers or Independence Day: lowest common denominator drivel full of "witty" one liners, gratuitous action shots, and lousy character development.

the WORST would be if they try to do a deep movie, but do it badly, a la the Day the Earth Stood Still remake. *Shudders*

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
Do Heroic on pretty much any mission but the first one. Or, Normal with a few skulls on (Thunderstorm and Iron, since you can't die to get the challenge). I'm going to try for it on the second mission, myself.

Why not the 1st mission?
I did the 1st mission on heroic and I got the challenge long before the level was over. It was pretty easy too.

In the same way that if there ever were a Halo movie, it would be an 'inspired' story that derives from the canon, I would like to see 'inspired' music in the same vein as the music from Origins.

I would love to see a new cook in the Halo kitchen as far as music goes. Marty would be cliche and the music would sound worse than Starship troopers. /opinion.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie does not own the rights to Oni, they lost that along with Myth to Take-Two. Oni, Myth and Halo are the IP's Bungie has given up, I think they own all the rest of their back catalog. And at any rate, Bungie has confirmed multiple times that this is a new IP.

That's if you weren't joking. If you were: haha, jolly good one.

Yea. While a fan of Bungie I have to say they were stupid to give up their IPs. I would never have given up something that I worked so hard to create. 3 great IPs lost now and out of their control. Sadly 2 of them are pretty much dead.

What I wouldn't give for a proper Oni 2 using everything they learned from the Halo Franchise.
Myth, Oni, and now Halo forever out of Bungie's control and in some cases stone cold dead. :(

Thank god they kept Marathon and the others though.

Major Williams said:
In the same way that if there ever were a Halo movie, it would be an 'inspired' story that derives from the canon, I would like to see 'inspired' music in the same vein as the music from Origins.

I would love to see a new cook in the Halo kitchen as far as music goes. Marty would be cliche and the music would sound worse than Starship troopers. /opinion.

I'd like to see John William's take on Marty's music.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
Why not the 1st mission?
I did the 1st mission on heroic and I got the challenge long before the level was over. It was pretty easy too.
That's just me. On Heroic and Legendary I had a hell of a time with the first pack of Elites that show up, and died many times. That was the hardest Elite fight in the game for me, far and away. No such issues on the other levels. Normal with a few skulls on would probably be fine.
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. While a fan of Bungie I have to say they were stupid to give up their IPs. I would never have given up something that I worked so hard to create. 3 great IPs lost now and out of their control. Sadly 2 of them are pretty much dead.

What I wouldn't give for a proper Oni 2 using everything they learned from the Halo Franchise.
Myth, Oni, and now Halo forever out of Bungie's control and in some cases stone cold dead. :(

Thank god they kept Marathon and the others though.
I think they were just doing what they had to do to survive. Giving up Halo was likely a bitter, bitter pill but their next IP will hopefully be better for it.

Of course, Activision is their publisher. I really hope the revenue models and DLC control were part of their contract.

so i just did the credits 'cheat' on sword base for 20 minutes, got the kill 180 enemies challenge and finished the level with 6000 new credits, but my total number went up by nothing really, i didnt even notice the bar move any further towards captain :S

anyone else have this problem?

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
That's just me. On Heroic and Legendary I had a hell of a time with the first pack of Elites that show up, and died many times. That was the hardest Elite fight in the game for me, far and away. No such issues on the other levels. Normal with a few skulls on would probably be fine.

I remember that pack being tough on my first run too. Guess I got used to the bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom