• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
GhaleonEB said:
Do Heroic on pretty much any mission but the first one. Or, Normal with a few skulls on (Thunderstorm and Iron, since you can't die to get the challenge). I'm going to try for it on the second mission, myself.
Hugbot said:
My one tip is to make sure you have Iron on, free score multiplier since you can't die anyway. And if you die, go into the lobby and restart, don't trust the pause menu.
m0ngo said:
I did it on tip of the spear, normal with a few skulls on. Completed the challenge less that half way through it.
squidhands said:
Quickest way would probably be the Sabre portion. The challenge doesn't say you have to complete a mission, just reach 10,000 points without dying. I racked up a ton of points with Catch, Cloud, and Famine on, and I only died once while trying something stupid.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try these when I get home.

darthbob

bobs99 ... said:
wall of text

I wasn't referencing you specifically. Just the Halo community in general.

I still think Halo CE as a LIVE enabled game is just a terrible idea if they kept it 'vanilla'.

Just not a game that's conducive to online play in my opinion.

darthbob said:

I still think Halo CE as a LIVE enabled game is just a terrible idea if they kept it 'vanilla'.

Halo PC was fine. (except for the terrible netcode)

GhaleonEB said:
Anyone else enjoying the "I Have a Machinegun" Challenge going up the day after the Team SWAT playlist?

Not really, I think the people who play swat are the same ones who run around on jetpacks shooting ARs.

GhaleonEB

Anyone else enjoying the "Now I Have a Machinegun" Challenge going up the day after the Team SWAT playlist?
Shake Appeal said:
This is an important post. :O
And a surprising one. I knew MS got the Halo IP (and any IP Bungie worked on while Microsoft owned them, which was, um, Halo), but not their tech as well.

USF

darthbob said:
Not a stupid question at all.

They're still working on it, and I'd assume that it'll be working well in about the next playlist update.

From what I understand, the player model data is sent from the Xbox 360 itself, and it not as customizable as the player model was from Halo 3. i.e. changing the URL of the image for different combinations of armor.

bobs99 ... said:
I play Halo CE to this day on my PC. So thinking with this little brain of mine im pretty sure I would love to be able to play it on my Xbox.

Now have a think with your little brain, a re-release with live enabled play would probably require actually programming the live enabled play right? So if they did a good job, the netcode would be a lot better than Halo PC. So for fans of Halo 1's multiplayer it would be heaven. The Halo 1 gameplay with good netcode!

Now think really hard with your little brain about how many times peoples opinions on stuff has differed from yours. Im part of a group of people who loved the Pistol, I also loved Halo Ce's little quirks, nothing beats CTF on Blood Gulch - the vehicle combat on CE was so much fun.

Now, if you want to post back in a rude condensing manner I suggest you REALLY think with that little brain of yours about what your going to say. :D
OH SNAP :lol

darthbob said:

I dont consider this a wall of text:

I play Halo CE to this day on my PC. So thinking with this little brain of mine im pretty sure I would love to be able to play it on my Xbox.

Now have a think with your little brain, a re-release with live enabled play would probably require actually programming the live enabled play right? So if they did a good job, the netcode would be a lot better than Halo PC. So for fans of Halo 1's multiplayer it would be heaven. The Halo 1 gameplay with good netcode!

Now think really hard with your little brain about how many times peoples opinions on stuff has differed from yours. Im part of a group of people who loved the Pistol, I also loved Halo Ce's little quirks, nothing beats CTF on Blood Gulch - the vehicle combat on CE was so much fun.

Now, if you want to post back in a rude condensing manner I suggest you REALLY think with that little brain of yours about what your going to say.

Ive also bolded a key point your missing out on. Im interested in hearing your opinion on why Halo CE sucks as a multiplayer game but im not interested in petty little insults. The multiplayer for the extremely laggy PC port has lasted since its release, so its obviously not as bad as you make out. Ive personally loved the gameplay enough to put up with the lag, so for me a xbox live re-release (which was more playable) would be awesome. I admit though that considering the wealth of games out there with tons of features - it wouldnt exactly make many sales.

Imagine Halo CE with Forge/ New maps/ Theatre. It would never EVER happen, but it would be sweet.

xxjuicesxx said:
25-30 fps confirmed :(
corrine.jpg

Its amazing, its also a resource hog and I can find my fps being reduced to shit on Asylum and The Cage if theres too many people on screen and too many nades or effects going off at once.

Basically please redo the engine to at least run at 60fps locked like MW2. Fuck that game runs smooth even if it doesn't look too great it plays like I want Halo to play. :D Man I'd love a rerelease of H1 or H2 or H3 , ODST, or Reach at 60 fps. Remember that video of H3 on The Flood at 60fps. That was nice.

I mean yea the engine is great but, Halo deserves better. Its like my favorite game series ever.

darthbob

bobs99 ... said:
Ive also bolded a key point your missing out on. Im interested in hearing your opinion on why Halo CE sucks as a multiplayer game but im not interested in petty little insults. The multiplayer for the extremely laggy PC port has lasted since its release, so its obviously not as bad as you make out.

Why I consider online Halo CE 'bad'. The pistol on off host.

Have you ever tried it? I'm sure, and I'm also sure that you don't think it's that bad. But, have you ever used the pistol online 'with' host? Possibly, then you'd know how much of a beast it truly is.

Now, I'm also not interested in hearing theories about "programming a new netcode", because this doesn't strike me as being particularly relevant. The fact is that Halo CE's weapons were flawed. Pistol is over powered, Assault Rifle sucks, Sniper is able to kill a tank from across the map, etc.

When it gets down to it, the game becomes very dull with everyone thinking they're Ogre I/II and cross mapping with a pistol.

And for the record, those earlier 'insults' weren't directed at you, but at the whole Halo community.

darthbob said:
Now, I'm also not interested in hearing theories about "programming a new netcode", because this doesn't strike me as being particularly relevant. The fact is that Halo CE's weapons were flawed. Pistol is over powered, Assault Rifle sucks, Sniper is able to kill a tank from across the map, etc.

That sounds like the best Halo ever. :D

darthbob said:

Have you ever tried it? I'm sure, and I'm also sure that you don't think it's that bad. But, have you ever used the pistol online 'with' host? Possibly, then you'd know how much of a beast it truly is.

When it gets down to it, the game becomes very dull with everyone thinking they're Ogre I/II and cross mapping with a pistol.

And for the record, those earlier 'insults' weren't directed at you, but at the whole Halo community.

Fundamentally its still the same game as reach. You get the same starting weapons and battle it out for rockets and sniper. The only difference is that now you use a DMR and Pistol instead of just the pistol and it takes 2 more shots to kill someone.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
xxjuicesxx said:
Anyone that prefers an automatic weapon over the DMR/Pistol/Snipe is just bad. That's basically all there is to it. The skill gap between spamming a huge crosshair on an enemy and getting a kill over getting a five shot is so friggen large its crazy.

But see here's the thing. I don't care about the DMR having more "skill gap" or it being more "mlg pro". I don't give a shit. I want to use ALL the weapons and armor abilities included in the game.

It's not about being "bad" with the DMR at all (at least not in my case). I have a 1.85 KDR with the DMR in the Arena and a 2.05 KDR with it in competitive modes. I can more than hold my own with it. With that being said, I just wish Bungie would give AR/Pistol starts more love. It doesn't have to be ALL DMRs or ALL ARs. I enjoy both game modes. It doesn't have be an either/or thing.

aesop

squidhands said:
"...Pirates of the Caribbean and G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra screenwriter Stuart Beattie penned a spec script adaptation of the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach back during the writers' strike of '07."

barf
Halo: Rise of the Covenant

Projectile Vomiting Evolved

Cerrius said:
But see here's the thing. I don't care about the DMR having more "skill gap" or it being more "mlg pro". I don't give a shit. I want to use ALL the weapons and armor abilities included in the game.

It's not about being "bad" with the DMR at all (at least not in my case). I have a 1.85 KDR with the DMR in the Arena and a 2.05 KDR with it in competitive modes. I can more than hold my own with it. With that being said, I just wish Bungie would give AR/Pistol starts more love. It doesn't have to be ALL DMRs or ALL ARs. I enjoy both game modes. It doesn't have be an either/or thing.

No, no no, don't try to make an argument. You want AR starts because you're just bad. AR starts are for people trying to spam a huge crosshair.

The AR is for BAD people. You are BAD.

darthbob said:

Yeah, thats why Halo PC is so 'unplayable' - If your playing with a small group of friends the host has an INSANE advantage. That why I would love a re-release.

A re-release wouldnt literally just be a copy and paste job, they would have to do tons of work to make it playable, ive never tried Halo CE over Xlink but apparently its pretty laggy. They would probably have to gut the current networking code and rewrite it from scratch, so that right there would be "programming a new netcode".

The fact is that Halo CE's weapons were flawed. Pistol is over powered, Assault Rifle sucks, Sniper is able to kill a tank from across the map, etc.

See, I kind of enjoy those 'flaws'. I think Devin Olsen wrote a decent explanation of why he thinks the Halo 1 sandbox worked better with Blood Gulch than Reach's does with Hemmorage. (If im putting words into his mouth, my bad. :lol )

I didnt really notice too much of this, but yeah I wouldnt say this is a bad thing, some people enjoy being able to shoot cross map, some people dont. I found that the Pistol was a great leveller in the kind of vehicle intensive big team games that happened. It didnt kill vehicle combat, but infantry had a good chance of staying alive and actually crossing maps on foot.

Anyway this is a pointless debate, Its not like a CE remake is going to happen. But the people who get excited for a CE remake but want it to be a drastically different game confuse me. I honestly only responded because I didnt like the insults you were throwing around. Keep in mind your opinion is just your opinion, and people arent all idiots for not agreeing.

xxjuicesxx said:
Really DMR/Pistol/Snipe require no skill?

Interesting. :lol
I think his rhetorical point was that you don't have to be an MLG Pro to realize that making a less difficult weapon to use (i.e. AR) more powerful makes the game less 'competitive' (i.e. narrows the skill gap).

Personally, though, I actually really like AR/magnum starts because it seems like a lot of people who might be decent with the DMR can't handle the magnum, and I often tear those games up.

I can't understand why they both boosted the AR and nerfed the pistol, though. Either/or would have done.

squidhands said:
"...Pirates of the Caribbean and G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra screenwriter Stuart Beattie penned a spec script adaptation of the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach back during the writers' strike of '07."

barf
I miss the days where we thought Neil Blomkampf and Peter Jackson were involved. =\

Shake Appeal said:
Personally, though, I actually really like AR/magnum starts because it seems like a lot of people who might be decent with the DMR can't handle the magnum, and I often tear those games up.

I can't understand why they both boosted the AR and nerfed the pistol, though. Either/or would have done.

Yeah even though I only consider myself an average player pistol/ar starts give me an advantage, it seems that you are right and the pistol is too much for some people to handle.

I have a 5.8 k/d with pistol but only 1.66 k/d with DMR.

cazosozey

The Lamonster said:
Based on the books. Lame.

As opposed to being based on the games?
" Im the chief, I need a weapon" pew pew pew
or " Im Emile, whos next?" pew pew pew

I mean look at all the great timeless classics based on video games :lol

Unicorn

What are you guys smoking? The plasma repeater is awesome! Plasma pistol too, eats shields in like three pistol shots worth of green goo glory!!!

Falagard said:
Interesting. So OWV pretty much confirms that the Halo engine has been handed off to Microsoft for future Halo titles. I actually didn't expect this.

Didn't you see how they didn't include the marathon emblem? Halo, and everything halo, belongs to M$.

Neuromancer said:
I miss the days where we thought Neil Blomkampf and Peter Jackson were involved. =\
In a perfect world, I'd have Speilberg direct the Halo movie and have it based on Halo 1 only. It would use only Marty's music from the first three games, but fully orchestrated. It would also have to use the original voices for MC and Cortana.

cuevas said:
I was talking about the AR and tank.

Lol I can't tell rhetorical stuff over the internets. Sorry. I've been drinking. Seemed like one of those sleights towards MLG players because they appreciate precision over blunt force Halo.

Yea Shake, I still haven't figured out the Pistol, I mean I have kinda. My problem with it is you can have the entire reticule inside a players head but if you spam it instead of waiting a bit of a sec to shoot you won't get the headshot. Even though the entire reticule is on their head. This was my problem with the pistol in the beta and I really dislike it. I wish they would have fixed the accuracy to where it shoots within the reticule even if you're spamming hard. After all its a pistol not an automatic. Like it just defies the way my mind thinks...I dunno, probably why I prefer DMR's works closer to my thoughtsicles.

Man, looking at my weapon stats really hammers home the junk status of the Plasma Launcher and Focus Rifle. Across both Competitive/Invasion, I have died from the Focus Rifle three times, and killed with it 18 times. With the Plasma Launcher, it's 7 deaths and 22 kills.

That's in 300 games. Basically, every hundredth game, I will get killed by a Focus Rifle.

Might want to take a look, Sage.

Edit: LOL, my AR K/D is 0.08. I should probably use it a little more often.

The Lamonster said:
In a perfect world, I'd have Speilberg direct the Halo movie and have it based on Halo 1 only. It would use only Marty's music from the first three games, but fully orchestrated. It would also have to use the original voices for MC and Cortana.

What an awfully boring movie that would be. Oh here is another set piece, and another, and another with MC killing grunts and elites throughout. Oh and here's an hour of flood footage! Halo 1 is a great game, would make a shit movie. A movie based on MC would be the shit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom