• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. While a fan of Bungie I have to say they were stupid to give up their IPs. I would never have given up something that I worked so hard to create. 3 great IPs lost now and out of their control. Sadly 2 of them are pretty much dead.

What I wouldn't give for a proper Oni 2 using everything they learned from the Halo Franchise.
Myth, Oni, and now Halo forever out of Bungie's control and in some cases stone cold dead. :(

Thank god they kept Marathon and the others though.

Yeah...all those other gems. PID, Gnop!, DS, Minotaur really are doing good stuff.

Major Williams said:
In the same way that if there ever were a Halo movie, it would be an 'inspired' story that derives from the canon, I would like to see 'inspired' music in the same vein as the music from Origins.

I would love to see a new cook in the Halo kitchen as far as music goes. Marty would be cliche and the music would sound worse than Starship troopers. /opinion.
I liked the music in Starship Troopers. =(

Edit: sorry for the DP, on the iPhone

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Halo Reach: Installation 04 from 343i. Hope hope hope.

I figured that MS would go for something like this, I honestly don't have a problem with building a framework and then making similar games that get better and more refined every other year. It seems to be the way things are going so I don't know why I ever doubted that the tech to make a game went over to 343.

Hugbot

darthbob said:
Yeah...all those other gems. PID, Gnop!, DS, Minotaur really are doing good stuff.
Would totally play a new PiD game, I haven't played the old one since small times. I wonder how hard it would be to get running on a Windows 7 machine through some crazy voodoo.

Also I'm way excited for a new IP from Bungie, their back catalog is fantastic but it's time they started a new universe.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
That's just me. On Heroic and Legendary I had a hell of a time with the first pack of Elites that show up, and died many times. That was the hardest Elite fight in the game for me, far and away. No such issues on the other levels. Normal with a few skulls on would probably be fine.

I think they were just doing what they had to do to survive. Giving up Halo was likely a bitter, bitter pill but their next IP will hopefully be better for it.

Of course, Activision is their publisher. I really hope the revenue models and DLC control were part of their contract.

Oh without a doubt. I'm happy Bungie is still alive. Just a little bitter though about so much given up to stay alive. That's why I really truly do hope that Bungie has learned from this and quits giving up their IPs. I really really do.

darthbob

LAUGHTREY said:
Halo Reach: Installation 04 from 343i. Hope hope hope.

I figured that MS would go for something like this, I honestly don't have a problem with building a framework and then making similar games that get better and more refined every other year. It seems to be the way things are going so I don't know why I ever doubted that the tech to make a game went over to 343.

Would be interesting, for sure.

But about that name...

Falagard

PsychoRaven said:
Odds are I see Bungie being nice to Microsoft and the fans and giving them most of the Bungie.net stuff. More so because both have talked about the fact that Bungie is going to eventually hand it off to Microsoft to run.

Also I can see Bungie giving them the tools to be able and create content for the game and or patch it if need be once Bungie is officially done and moved on.

When dealing with Microsoft, I don't think Bungie does things to "be nice". Bungie definitely has a good connection with its fans, but deals like this are all Business. Bungie can easily keep the bungie.net web servers running, hosting the web side of things for previous Halo titles like Halo Reach, ODST and Halo 3 without giving all that technology for free to Microsoft.

Now the motion capture stuff yea that I don't see them giving because anyone can do motion capture. That's no big secret.

Not true. Things like motion capture require mountains of investment to get running.

They created custom motion capture processes and technology that feeds directly into their content pipeline. Anyone with a big enough budget *can* do motion capture, but many people do it completely differently, and getting that technology from pure motion capture data into something like a 3d modelling system like 3ds Max where artists can then tweak and customize it to be exported directly into the game engine, that's a different story.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sir Hamish said:
so i just did the credits 'cheat' on sword base for 20 minutes, got the kill 180 enemies challenge and finished the level with 6000 new credits, but my total number went up by nothing really, i didnt even notice the bar move any further towards captain :S

anyone else have this problem?
It increases the moment you get the credits, which is why you probably didn't notice it.

Also recently found something out, do not Jetpack while going down the elevator on New Alexandria. :lol

I go 5 games in a row negative then all of a sudden I'm just all, "HEY I'M FUCKING TIRED OF THIS SHIT" and get 24 kills to go +10, while we were down a player. WTF me. Play like that all the time.

So the cage, <3 you for 2v2, h8 you for 4v4.

Gui_PT

Yahtzee's reviews was pretty fair, except for the fact that he didn't know Spartans have been fighting the Covenant long before Reach.

Jrmint

electricpirate said:
Pretty much what I expected, "I'm cranky and don't get halo." :lol
While I really enjoy the game there are certain points which he is right about.

Every campaign level looks the same as every other Halo Campaign level. Especially Halo 3, I don't know how many times while playing through the campaign I said to myself this environment looks exactly like Halo 3.

Not that it takes that much away, but it would be nice if they did add some variety to the levels.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Falagard said:
When dealing with Microsoft, I don't think Bungie does things to "be nice". Bungie definitely has a good connection with its fans, but deals like this are all Business. Bungie can easily keep the bungie.net web servers running, hosting the web side of things for previous Halo titles like Halo Reach, ODST and Halo 3 without giving all that technology for free to Microsoft.

Who says they gave it to MS for free? I'm sure the talks for Bungie's independence were very involved and detailed to even stuff like the stats and web interface. Bungie received creative freedom with the stuff they have/are giving to MS. I'm sure Bungie kept anything it felt that it needed for future projects. Since Bungie creates an engine for each new game, it's likely they wouldn't be using much of the Reach tech (or at least most of the people who created it are still there so it can be re-done as needed).

LosDaddie

Banned
Darkflight said:
Challenges:

A Great Friend - 2000cR

Earn 30 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Be Vigilant - 1200cR

Score 10,000 points in any Campaign mission without dying.

Now I have a Machine Gun - 800cR

Earn 30 kills with automatic weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

I'd like to get the Daily Challenge achievement later today.

Can someone give me some tips on how to do these efficiently? Please

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
21l0ozm.png

Just need to get some knee guards, the supply case and the little wrist piece and I'll be good to go :D

LosDaddie said:

Run with a friend, use the AR a bunch. If both of you double AR people you should knock of both the assist and Automatic weapons one pretty quick.

If running alone, use the needler, it's more effective than the AR and still counts.

Heroic+iron skull on an easy level should get you the SP one pretty easily.

Falagard

LunaticPuma said:
Who says they gave it to MS for free?

I didn't, that'd be ridiculous.

I'm sure the talks for Bungie's independence were very involved and detailed to even stuff like the stats and web interface.

Obviously.

Bungie received creative freedom with the stuff they have/are giving to MS. I'm sure Bungie kept anything it felt that it needed for future projects.

Yup, no doubt they kept what they needed. What I'm saying is the other way around - I wonder if Microsoft gets access to everything involved in making Halo Reach.

Since Bungie creates an engine for each new game, it's likely they wouldn't be using much of the Reach tech (or at least most of the people who created it are still there so it can be re-done as needed).

Bungie doesn't create a new engine for each game, even though in the past they've stated they rebuilt the Reach engine almost from scratch, and have said the Halo engine was custom built for the purpose of Halo.

Every game company always builds upon previous technology for new games - it doesn't make sense to truly start from scratch.

Got the "Be Vigilant" campaign challenge in 4 minutes with 5 kills.

I did it on New Alexandria and turned on pretty much all the skulls on Heroic.

4 banshees for +1057 points each
1 phantom for +7050 points.

Done. Now back to assist grinding. :D

Falagard

vhfive said:
fo' realz. I just reached Lt. Colonel yesterday and I'm also rocking the JFO with silver visor
my bnet image still has scout on :(

Don't feel bad, my bnet image isn't even close to correct. It's like a completely different person. I'm currently not wearing shoulder pads, and am wearing the base grenadier helmet. I'm not sure about the rest, but I haven't worn that armor combination before, or if I have it was just while I was playing around with it.

And I obviously play online all the time so it's not a question of whether it should have updated or not.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/playermodel.ashx?rpis=4z4/oac3NU/eSY4G8lEPBXeF3sRe+BQ7Q5SSZbJbt58=

Skel said:
While I really enjoy the game there are certain points which he is right about.

Every campaign level looks the same as every other Halo Campaign level. Especially Halo 3, I don't know how many times while playing through the campaign I said to myself this environment looks exactly like Halo 3.

Not that it takes that much away, but it would be nice if they did add some variety to the levels.

And I'm not even saying he's necessarily wrong about the problems he has with the game, but he doesn't really look at how the individual encounters play out, or how enjoyable it is to engage with the enemies, he instead focuses on kind of a broad overall view that just kind of misses a huge part of what makes Reach awesome. Hence the "Doesn't get Halo" remark.

Popeck said:
Note to Bungie: Stop putting 1 Flag on symmetrical maps.

And shorter flag returns in 2 flag! 15 seconds is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Has anyone found the spawns for 1-flag Powerhouse to be weird? Played it last night and it seemed like Defense tended to spawn close to the flag even when the flag was nearly at the capture spot.

electricpirate said:
And I'm not even saying he's necessarily wrong about the problems he has with the game, but he doesn't really look at how the individual encounters play out, or how enjoyable it is to engage with the enemies, he instead focuses on kind of a broad overall view that just kind of misses a huge part of what makes Reach awesome. Hence the "Doesn't get Halo" remark.

And shorter flag returns in 2 flag! 15 seconds is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, saying that he doesn't get halo is trying to dismiss it as uninformed. If that's how he felt afterwards you can't try and justify why he didn't enjoy it as much as you.

witness

Oh wow you can finally view your Spartan online now eh? News to me and AWESOME. I'm totally rocking the ODST look and I also bought Nathan "Buck" Fillion's voice as well. I will stay with that look until Lt. Col. most likely, only other upgrades I want along the way are the next leg utility piece and that wrist computer at Major.

playermodel.png

vitaminwateryum said:
Just need to get some knee guards, the supply case and the little wrist piece and I'll be good to go :D
That supply case, is that the thing on your leg? I thought those looked really non-descript and yet they're incredibly expensive. Why?

Unicorn

Can we get some custom matches going up? I wanna play with haloGAF and maybe play some forgeGAF maps. Got some free time right now. (Rare)
GT: Yagya

Ramirez

Major Williams said:
In the same way that if there ever were a Halo movie, it would be an 'inspired' story that derives from the canon, I would like to see 'inspired' music in the same vein as the music from Origins.

I would love to see a new cook in the Halo kitchen as far as music goes. Marty would be cliche and the music would sound worse than Starship troopers. /opinion.

They should hire you to do the music.

vhfive said:
fo' realz. I just reached Lt. Colonel yesterday and I'm also rocking the JFO with silver visor
my bnet image still has scout on :(
Lucky bastid. I'm still stuck in WOG3 hell; it's nice to dream though. At least I was able to get mah Splinter Cell helmet quickly.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
LosDaddie said:

To knock out the assist and automatic weapons one quickly (if you don't use the AR normally) is to play some rumble pit and use the AR.

Ramirez

My Spartan still hasn't updated...bah.

Also, Invasion, 1st phase is where you should go to get AR kills, I knocked out like 10 in one match, also got like 6 assists, but I've not really had trouble accumulating assists like some of you. It's like my 5th top Commendation I believe. :lol

Zel3

to get the 10,000 point challenge really fast just play the 6th mission.. turn all the skulls on and start at rally point alpha.

you should get the challenge with a few banshee kills.

My friends and I are AR/AL griefing Team Slayer right now to get the Challenge. It's kind of hilarious. We pick up power weapons just so the other team can't use them.

Striker

Popeck said:
Note to Bungie: Stop putting 1 Flag on symmetrical maps.
We could get Neutral Bomb/Multi-flag on 1-sided maps... like we did for Ghost Town. :|

LunaticPuma said:
Has anyone found the spawns for 1-flag Powerhouse to be weird? Played it last night and it seemed like Defense tended to spawn close to the flag even when the flag was nearly at the capture spot.
Is the flag still stationed on the building above the bathrooms? I had to check for myself a week or so ago to see where they eventually changed it, and once I saw that, I was stunned. I mean, how is that suppose to be a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom