• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Sean P. said:
With really solid team play and great communication you have no need for a radar, the parts of the map that you are not able to see you will have a teammate watching for you.

Didn't have 3 have a sort of depth sense for its radar? I don't remember exactly but werent the dots like faded?

EDIT: Alienshogun x a million. With surround sound/headphones you can hear literally EVERYTHING, especially when armor abilities make their engage/disengage sound (sprint), it is very obvious when an enemy is behind you

Because everyone can afford a surround sound system and has headphones attached to their TV all the way across the room. And because we both know how co-operative everyone on Live is, and how everyone has a mic.

JimboJones

Sean P. said:
With really solid team play and great communication you have no need for a radar, the parts of the map that you are not able to see you will have a teammate watching for you.

Didn't have 3 have a sort of depth sense for its radar? I don't remember exactly but werent the dots like faded?

EDIT: Alienshogun x a million. With surround sound/headphones you can hear literally EVERYTHING, especially when armor abilities make their engage/disengage sound (sprint), it is very obvious when an enemy is behind you

No I don't believe 3 did have a depth sensor.

Solid team play and great communication is pretty hard to come across in matchmaking and I don't really want to make friends with a load of online people or join a clan, so I like my radar.

Also I find spatial awareness in games quite lacking even with surround sound never mind you lack a periphery vision, radar does a good job to compensate for it though so I like it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sean P. said:
I use Astros and you definitely can't hear footsteps as well, like I mentioned before armor abilities are the main giveaway of where someone is

I meant mainly with gun fire around the map. I can't tell EXACTLY where shots are being fire from around the map and that sucks.

Sill4

Sean P. said:
Is it just me or is the distanced gun audio in reach not as good as Halo 3?

Edit: I can has grammar?
Somebody mentioned this during beta and one of the Bungie peeps revealed that Reach is supposed to have better something or another relating to distant gunfire.

-edit- lol just re-read my post, very helpful isn't it :lol

Generic said:
Because everyone can afford a surround sound system and has headphones attached to their TV all the way across the room. And because we both know how co-operative everyone on Live is, and how everyone has a mic.
Hopefully, having this equipment will be required for the next Halo game. Also, in Halo 4, quitting once will auto RRoD your 360.

Blueblur1

I just had my first disconnect. And it was because of the Xbox Live preview program. :mad:

Well, at least it wasn't connection. It's always rock solid. :)

ElRenoRaven

Sill4 said:
Hopefully, having this equipment will be required for the next Halo game. Also, in Halo 4, quitting once will auto RRoD your 360.

Meh I don't care cause I heard Halo 4 is Kinect exclusive. :D

ZayneH said:
BUNGIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Marathon=Bungie IP. Halo=343i IP. Me talk like caveman now.
Still doesn't explain why hawk is gone:
Halo 2:
ss-2010-10-09_00.22.54c590.png

Halo 2 PC:
ss-2010-10-09_00.27.51o61q.png

Halo 3:
hawkemblemhalo3wuqf.png

Halo 3 ODST:
hawkemblemodsth6ko.png

Halo Reach Beta: (Download-Code version) proof here and here
hawkinreachbeta3rej.png

Halo Reach ("Foreground "Hawk" is gone, but the background "Display" is still there):
ss-2010-10-08_22.42.28o5je.png

theultimo

Blueblur1 said:
I just had my first disconnect. And it was because of the Xbox Live preview program. :mad:

Well, at least it wasn't connection. It's always rock solid. :)
Same, but my internet is NOT rock solid :p

Even without surround sound I can still hear them (and you can barely hear the game outside my room) and tell which side of me they are on. If you don't see em its a safe bet theyre behind you.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I am so fucking hot and cold at this game, it's ridiculous. First match of the night, I go -12 in Rumble Pit (this was probably the worst game I've ever played, I don't even know what I was doing). Very next match, I get the 23 kills challenge and go +11. Glad to have that one out of the way.

Presco

UltimaPooh said:
Seems like all the people complaining are the same ones who complained during the beta.

Did you think it was going to be that huge of a change in just 3 months?

Go back to Halo 3... it's still there.

I haven't really been complaining but I do agree with a lot of Sean P's post. Don't know what it is with Reach but it still hasn't clicked with me. I'd say I'm well above average at the game and win much more than I lose but I'm just not having that much fun.

I haven't played since Monday and I think I actually might test the Halo 3 waters again tomorrow. Not looking forward to the netcode, cause that is one thing I LOVE about Reach (aside from the many Host changes), but I can't wait to play 2 flag on The Pit.

zumphry

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
Still doesn't explain why hawk is gone:

Well, the Snake isn't there either. If you remember, they were both used up to Halo 2 for Blue (Hawk) and Red (Snake) team. I'm thinking that in their next game, if it's not a MMO (please don't be a MMO, please don't be a MMO, for the love of god Jason Jones, don't be a MMO), Blue and Red team would be designated to use those two emblems on flags and such.

Plus, Hawk was used as the NMPD logo in ODST, so I don't know if that's Halo imagery or not. Or they could've been one of the Emblems taken out due to not being very popular, which is what I'm expecting is why Mark Of Shame is gone. Though, I always thought that it was popular, but I don't really know for sure.

The Mark of Shame has actual plot significance within the games, though. It probably counts as something Bungie can't use because it's owned by Microsoft.

I'm at home right now and don't have access to my 360, but are the Brute, Drone, and Grunt emblems in Reach?

Got two challenges done in my last game before bed. Gunslinger and the 23 kill one. Went 29-8 in a game of SWAT:D Have the weekend off. Will be playing a lot of Reach. Should make Captain tomorrow.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Anything exciting or interesting going on in this thread tonight?

::Sees emblem chat::

No? Well guess it's time to play more Reach. :D

feel

Did all of today's challenges afterall and am 48/50 on the weekly one.

Played a bunch of BTB today, had some mindless fun, the vehicles feel great (tank is very OP though). And I'm actually like Paradiso, mostly because of the setting, feels like a very gorgeous multiplayer Silent Cartographer. I love walking around in the trails on the shadow side of the island, it just looks so beautiful.

Striker

UltimaPooh said:
Seems like all the people complaining are the same ones who complained during the beta.

Did you think it was going to be that huge of a change in just 3 months?

Go back to Halo 3... it's still there.
What I find rather funny is Halo 3 has had the same area of issues. Spawns? Quite a problem, and it's been known so much to Bungie they had Shishka alter maps to break off the crazy amount of spawn killing. Map design? Worst game of the series for MP maps. Playlists? Far too many, Social Skirmish having AR starts on BTB maps, no serious changes throughout its three year lifetime in maps or gametypes, etc. Ranks? Far too easy for people to get into the 40's and you had many people who were not even very good sitting at 50. Grenades? Felt like Fisher Price toys. Melee? The lunge was atrocious. Equipment? Broken and Bungie knew this so they only had Power Drainer, Bubble Shield, and Regen as the only pieces in MM, and even those slowed down gameplay and made many maps not fun to play.

Thagomizer said:
The Mark of Shame has actual plot significance within the games, though. It probably counts as something Bungie can't use because it's owned by Microsoft.

I'm at home right now and don't have access to my 360, but are the Brute, Drone, and Grunt emblems in Reach?
Grunt and drone definitely are, not sure about brutes

I've come to the conclusion Reach is more of a sequel to Halo CE than Halo 2 is. It feels like what you would have expected after CE. Not just the campaign, but the MP as well. Only problem is I'm starting to realize I prefer the Halo 2/3 MP to the CE/Reach MP.

Zel3

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. I really have no life. I just joined the less then 1 percent club.

22.png
Welcome to the club. Get ready to be tea bagged and for the occasional 'booster' comment.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Nearly Commander Grade 1 baby!!!

*sits on fat, jobless ass*

I'm a few games away from Commander grade 2.

:(

Zel3 said:
Welcome to the club. Get ready to be tea bagged and for the occasional 'booster' comment.

I'm a few games away from Commander grade 2.

:(

Yeah, I didn't play at all yesterday, except for an hour or so to get all the dailies. :lol

Zel3

Ajemsuhgao said:
Yeah, I didn't play at all yesterday, except for an hour or so to get all the dailies. :lol
I wouldn't be surprised if we both end up somewhere in the middle of the Colonel rank when the cap gets lifted.

Hopefully we find jobs before that happens lol.

Alucrid

Banned
timetokill said:
Glad SeanP agrees that Armor Lock blows

I agree with most of the rest of that post, not all, but a lot of great points there

I've had armor lock do wonders for me.

Grenade thrown, armor lock, survive, kill guy, another guy comes, armor lock, he melees, I exit, melee him and he dies. Double kill. I wish it activated a bit faster though.

I usually just use sprint though.

I'm enjoying Reach but I have to admit I am anticipating the return of the Battle Rifle for the next gen awesome Halo 4 action. The DMR just doesn't work for me. I get kills with it but it isn't a very satisfying weapon to use.

I am really looking forward to the forerunner book. I guess I will pick-up the book and the audio book, because then I can listen to the audio book during a car drive.

Ramirez

Striker said:
What I find rather funny is Halo 3 has had the same area of issues. Spawns? Quite a problem, and it's been known so much to Bungie they had Shishka alter maps to break off the crazy amount of spawn killing. Map design? Worst game of the series for MP maps. Playlists? Far too many, Social Skirmish having AR starts on BTB maps, no serious changes throughout its three year lifetime in maps or gametypes, etc. Ranks? Far too easy for people to get into the 40's and you had many people who were not even very good sitting at 50. Grenades? Felt like Fisher Price toys. Melee? The lunge was atrocious. Equipment? Broken and Bungie knew this so they only had Power Drainer, Bubble Shield, and Regen as the only pieces in MM, and even those slowed down gameplay and made many maps not fun to play.

So, are you saying we should have expected most of this crap? :lol

I wish I could take my favorite things from 3 and Reach and merge them together. :(

I did however play tons of Pro Objective variants, and the game just plays flat out amazing compared to radar variants, it's quite staggering how much better the maps flow and play without everyone glued to their sensors.

Don't think I'm gonna get the weekly challenge, I need like 33 more games of FF, meh.

LiK

YAY! Finally got the If They Came to Hear Me Beg Achievement! FYI, Sprint was on. Inside Xbox and RoosterTeeth can suck it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My slim 360 just died with my reach disc in it....

switched it on, booted up the game and while loading the system just went off. now it's completely dead. doesn't seem like a heat issue... it's just complete devoid of life.

GAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom