• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Any tips for holding that elevator on Exodus legendary solo?
Before you
hit the elevator button, roam out to the courtyard where the dropship will be landing. Hop on the turret and rip it off, bring it back inside. Hide on the stairs and wear the Brutes down into dust (prioritize Chieftains).

Trasher said:
It's almost as if Bungie knew what armor permutations would be the most desirable. Amazing! Who would have thought that the coolest ones would be the most expensive?!

Stop whining and just play the game. You'll get there eventually. The game hasn't even been out a month yet...

You seriously enjoy playing dress-up more than the game? You bought Reach for the wrong reasons I'm afraid.

There'll be several who buy those things not because they like them but because they want to show off due to how expensive they are. Remember how rare it was to see anyone with the Mark VI in H3, even on players with very few choices?

That said, I'm prepared to bet that even with everyone knocking around with millions of credits it's going to be far less popular than you'd think. Hell, look at the amount of people on GAF who really want a certain helmet that's not Mark VI - and we clearly know it's in the game.

I didn't say I enjoy playing dress up more than Reach, and don't put words in my mouth to that effect. All I said is I want to use the "player investment system" for it's purpose of allowing me to get my character how I want. But because of my personal preferences and Bungie's cockblocking, I can't.

I'm not whining, I'm simply pointing out a shit system is, well, shit.

AwesomeSyrup said:
I've come to the conclusion Reach is more of a sequel to Halo CE than Halo 2 is. It feels like what you would have expected after CE. Not just the campaign, but the MP as well. Only problem is I'm starting to realize I prefer the Halo 2/3 MP to the CE/Reach MP.
Weak precision weapons, slow and akward movement, clunky grenades, bad maps, armor abilities, and bloom say otherwise. I'm probably one of the biggest Halo:CE fans in this forum. And while some elements of Reach are more akin to Halo:CE than any of the following releases, Reach plays nothing like Combat Evolved, absolutely nothing. Putting Reach and Combat Evolved in the same sentence should be a crime.

Why bother putting health packs and fall damage into the game to make it more like Halo:CE if they're going to completely ignore the finer and more important parts of the game? It's like slapping a spoiler onto a jalopy and trying to pass it off as a sports car. It just doesn't work. I know they weren't trying to make another Halo:CE, but almost nothing that was good in Halo:CE is in Reach. So it's humorous that they spun the idea to the public that Reach was going back to its roots.

Reach looks better, obviously, has a bazillion more options and other additions like Firefight and Forgeworld, but they forgot to make the most basic part of the game fun... shooting other people. Killing players in Reach is a chore, and not the surprisingly deep and fantastic art that it once was in Halo:CE. My satisfaction has been lost, just like the planet of Reach, and it can't be regained simply through doing daily achievements and earning credits.

Hixx

Shake Appeal said:
That's funny, because I find it more fun to shoot people in this one than in any of the previous games.

As do I. The campaign experience is poorer than that of CE's, but the overall package is without a doubt the best yet for me.

While I agree with a lot of Sean P's post, some of his points are just bothersome to me:

Sean P. said:
Number ranks are what kept people around for so long. Halo 2 stat resets should be a pretty clear example of this. Every stat reset so many people stopped playing, and now they are basing their whole competitive matchmaking system around the idea of rank resets to KEEP people playing? That was a terrible decision.
Will never understand this mentality. It seems most people just want to dong on noobs in social or grind out a '50' (which was meaningless in most playlists in Halo 3 because of second accounts and the way TrueSkill was abused), rather than play close and competitive games with the chance of going down as well as up month to month. I can't understand that, frankly, and I suspect that the kind of person who quits because their rank gets reset is probably the kind of person I don't want to play in a Halo game anyway.

Sean P. said:
Playlists: I have no idea why this happened, and it got slightly better after the playlist update, but why would they LOWER playlist variety when releasing a new game? Not only there but without the separate ranked playlists like Halo 3 its just terrible, makes me so frustrated there is no longer a competitive sniper or swat scene because nobody can tell how good they are compared to anyone else since every playlist is basically social.
Every playlist is not social. In fact, this time out every playlist is ranked, you just don't see the 'rank'. The point of TrueSkill is to get close, competitive games (for the most part), not to show off to Internet strangers. The game is doing the former, neglecting the latter, and if that bothers you your priorities for playing games are warped. And the reason there are fewer playlists than Halo 3 is because of the voting system, which in theory gives people greater flexibility within playlists, and which can be used to collate data to create future playlists. Which we have already seen happen, three weeks after release.

Sean P. said:
Armor Abilities: Horrid addition to competitive gameplay. Maybe fun in campaign and social, but NEVER in competitive play. Jetpack does nothing but allow people to break maps and destroy the lines of maps. Its basically like giving someone superbouncing strapped to their back and allowing them to abuse it as they please. Hologram is just annoying, and armor lock is the worst of all offenders. It is so lame to have someone basically cheat you out of your kill or melee because they go into armor lock and stun you and then just own you when you can barely do anything. It basically makes CQC useless against any armor lock person because you wont win. Sprint is a good addition, but the broken melee system makes it abused.
Why you mad, though? :lol

Sean P. said:
Melee: I’m not even sure what happens when I hit melee. We all know about the broken double melee system where someone can run up to you and if you haven’t put enough shots on them just double melee you.
That isn't broken, you're just putting yourself in bad spots and then not reacting properly.

Sean P. said:
But with this, there have been so many times that I miss melees for no reason at all
Latency.

Sean P. said:
or go for an assassination and the melee will just stop suddenly for no reason and then I generally get killed.
Never, ever seen this. Assassination animations are truncated in certain situations, but you will still get the kill and the medal. Also, you can be killed normally mid-assassination. Otherwise, I have no clue what this is in reference to.

Sean P. said:
Also in many melee-melee hits sometimes mine wont register, or sometimes there’s wont register on me at all for no explained reason, and I easily kill them. Why?
Latency.

Grenades: Holy crap these are horrid, sometimes I’ll die full shield standing ten feet from a grenade and sometimes I’ll run over one and lose half my sheilds.
Latency.

It is so random, not to mention they bounce wherever the heck they want. They are way too random to be of any use really, and in so many maps (swordbase yellow lift) they are just whored to no end and it ruins gameplay.
Nah, not really. They should probably give people one grenade at spawn in Pro types, but otherwise it's working fine and you just seem to be raging.

Sean P.

Shake Appeal said:
Every playlist is not social. In fact, this time out every playlist is ranked, you just don't see the 'rank'. The point of TrueSkill is to get close, competitive games (for the most part), not to show off to Internet strangers. The game is doing the former, neglecting the latter, and if that bothers you your priorities for playing games are warped. And the reason there are fewer playlists than Halo 3 is because of the voting system, which in theory gives people greater flexibility within playlists, and which can be used to collate data to create future playlists. Which we have already seen happen, three weeks after release.

I know they have this its been brought up before by mancannon, but without visably seeing the ranks it's a very different mentally within the playlist for most players.

I didn't ever grind out 50's in Halo 3, but snipers was my favorite playlist of all time and I had over 400 EXP alone in it, never reached 50, got stuck at 49.

And I agree I rage over armor abilities, but there shouldn't be a game mechanic that makes players rage.

alisdair

The only real complaint I have about Reach matchmaking just now is the paucity of map and gametype options in BTB and Invasion. Most days I get into a party of 6 or 8, and these playlists are really starting to be dull.

Boneyard and Spire are the worst two BTB maps there have ever been in a Halo game. They need to be taken out of BTB immediately. It's just nonsense. Both of them have half the map sitting there unused, the power weapon placements are nonsense, the lines of sight are set up at a 90 degree angle to the field of play (because you're using half the map, rotated). It feels like playing 11-a-side on half a football pitch, with jumpers for goalposts and a tank in the middle.

That only leaves Boardwalk, Paradiso, and Haemmorage. Boardwalk would be okay for flag or bomb if the drop shield was taken out and the return time was 3 or 5 seconds, but as it is it's almost always going to be a tie. Paradiso needs to have the top of the mountain blocked off and the tanks removed, and then it might be okay. Haemmorage is okay.

(I'm just going to pretend that Countdown isn't in BTB, because it makes me feel better about Bungie's competence.)

But really, having one okay map, two semi-decent ones, and two badly reused Invasion maps is miserable. Hopefully we get some forged maps in there soon.

One other thing about BTB: Crazy King might actually be somewhat fun if the spawn settings were changed so that people in the hill aren't assaulted with 16 grenades as soon as they get in. Spawn with one grenade, please.

Raide

4000cR Shootin' and Lootin'
Kill 400 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

900cR A Great Friend
Earn 15 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

750cR Three Dog Fight
Earn a Triple Kill in Multiplayer Matchmaking.

750cR Came From Behind
Perform 2 Assassinations in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Shootin' and Lootin' - 4000cR

A Great Friend - 900cR

Three Dog Fight - 750cR

Came From Behind
- 750cR

Raide said:
4000cR Shootin' and Lootin'

900cR A Great Friend

750cR Three Dog Fight

750cR Came From Behind
Saturday is now Haloday for me.

Tokubetsu

Botolf said:
Before you
hit the elevator button, roam out to the courtyard where the dropship will be landing. Hop on the turret and rip it off, bring it back inside. Hide on the stairs and wear the Brutes down into dust (prioritize Chieftains).

Too late, already have a checkpoint AFTER I hit it :lol

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I dont know if im a cosmic anomaly when it comes to this game but today was pretty interesting. Today everyone playing team slayer with me was either a screeching 12 year old or quitters who left right at the beginning of the game. Decided i had enough of everyone and their mother granading me so i switch to team swat. And lo behold no one quits. Infact no one complained at all. Played for over an hour and barely lost any games. Even had helpful teammates who only conveyed relevant info. Not at all like what most of GAF seems to experience. Dare i say today was probably the most fun ive had with this game since the launch week.

So I was curious about this, and just now my curiosity overcame my caution.

If you've gained enough credits to gain additional ranks whilst you're in Reach offline (as I've mentioned before), and you buy armour you can only use at higher ranks the following happens:

1. If you buy it offline, you can use it offline.
2. If you sign in to live, your rank gets reverted to Lt Colonel Grade 3, the armour is locked, and you get a refund.
3. If you sign in offline as before, the armour is still unlocked, and your model automatically uses it, and the refund is reverted.

This looks like it could cause someone to go in to negative credits (as it appears credits use a signed 32bit integer looking at mod videos).

Edit: looks like it only unlocks again if you don't change the armour piece in question. So you can preview stuff but still get a full refund if you want.

PsychoRaven said:
Wow. I really have no life. I just joined the less then 1 percent club.

22.png

Same here. :(

Now we'll be stuck here for a month or two. Dang.

Sean

Banned
I feel sorry for those who have been grinding for the Firefight weekly challenge. 50 games of that shit (hours and hours) for 3k while just 3-4 games of Gruntpocalypse today earns you 4k.

Glad I never bothered with the weekly challenge.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Deputy Moonman said:
Weak precision weapons, slow and akward movement, clunky grenades, bad maps, armor abilities, and bloom say otherwise. I'm probably one of the biggest Halo:CE fans in this forum. And while some elements of Reach are more akin to Halo:CE than any of the following releases, Reach plays nothing like Combat Evolved, absolutely nothing. Putting Reach and Combat Evolved in the same sentence should be a crime.

Why bother putting health packs and fall damage into the game to make it more like Halo:CE if they're going to completely ignore the finer and more important parts of the game? It's like slapping a spoiler onto a jalopy and trying to pass it off as a sports car. It just doesn't work. I know they weren't trying to make another Halo:CE, but almost nothing that was good in Halo:CE is in Reach. So it's humorous that they spun the idea to the public that Reach was going back to its roots.

Reach looks better, obviously, has a bazillion more options and other additions like Firefight and Forgeworld, but they forgot to make the most basic part of the game fun... shooting other people. Killing players in Reach is a chore, and not the surprisingly deep and fantastic art that it once was in Halo:CE. My satisfaction has been lost, just like the planet of Reach, and it can't be regained simply through doing daily achievements and earning credits.
Adapt or die. Reach is better than 2 and 3, and that's a fact.

Presco said:
I haven't really been complaining but I do agree with a lot of Sean P's post. Don't know what it is with Reach but it still hasn't clicked with me. I'd say I'm well above average at the game and win much more than I lose but I'm just not having that much fun.

I haven't played since Monday and I think I actually might test the Halo 3 waters again tomorrow. Not looking forward to the netcode, cause that is one thing I LOVE about Reach (aside from the many Host changes), but I can't wait to play 2 flag on The Pit.

As much as I LOVE Reach at times, I just prefer Halo 3 especially for 4v4 (nothing beats The Pit). Im part of the crowd that thinks shooting is just a bit bleh in Reach, I generally stick to BTB and make a beeline for any vehicle I can. So I went into Halo 3's matchmaking and found it slow, and then finally when I had games, they where laggy as hell or had derankers etc :(

Halo 3 is still my game of choice if I have people to play customs with who also want to play Halo 3, but matchmaking is a bit of a dump now. (And has been for a while) :(

Already finished 3 of the 4th challenge today. Its very easy to get assist at Multi-Team :)

Btw. SWAT is awful. Friend wanted to play it, today. But damn. It isnt really funny. :( But i got the triple Kill challenge. (Damn i have to get a killacteur for the Jorge Helmet).

Feorax said:
Captain bitcheZ!

Just for my own sanity, is that the worst rank to get to? Cap grade 1 seems a lot quicker.

:lol

Yeah, the Warrant Officer grind is horrible but dont worry, you will be ranking up without trying now. You need a lot less Cr per rank now.

I love when I get home from work in the morning and go online clearly playing Europeans and my pistol shots are not connecting at all yet it still says Green bar to me.

Fucking christ just give us the ping numbers. Theres no way in hell I'm GREEN.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
VsRobot said:
I've only read FoR so far, which other Halo books are worth reading?

If you want to read more after FoR, read First Strike and then Ghosts of Onyx. The three Nylund books are a trilogy and follow on pretty directly from each other. It's a really good alternate trilogy filling in the gaps of time between the games, with Ghosts of Onyx pushing into new territory uncovered by the games until Reach.

Contact Harvest is also a really good read. That's a prequel to the entire series so you can read it whenever.

xxjuicesxx said:
I love when I get home from work in the morning and go online clearly playing Europeans and my pistol shots are not connecting at all yet it still says Green bar to me.

Fucking christ just give us the ping numbers. Theres no way in hell I'm GREEN.

I love it when americans complain about lag... try living in australia! :lol

jizzlobber said:
I love it when americans complain about lag... try living in australia! :lol

Reread it I wasn't complaining about the lag. I'm complaining about the invalid visual representation of my connection! I just disconnected from a game while my PC internet was still working, yet I'm green bar? Really?

Magni

Willeth said:
Why not play Firefight and make progress on the weekly at the same time?

Doing FF for Commendations while slowly going through the challenge, got the Gold HS and the Silver Spree ones today, taking a break at 20/50.

xxjuicesxx said:
Reread it I wasn't complaining about the lag. I'm complaining about the invalid visual representation of my connection! I just disconnected from a game while my PC internet was still working, yet I'm green bar? Really?

Yeah ive noticed that, ive also had games where im red bar, and my friends have been like "no your not, for us your full green". Im not sure whats up with that.

voltron

bobs99 ... said:
:lol

Yeah, the Warrant Officer grind is horrible but dont worry, you will be ranking up without trying now. You need a lot less Cr per rank now.

Captain grade 3 is a grind too. Made easier with this weeks weekly challenge of course.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've spent over half a million credits.

Hearts Armour Effect - 300,000 cR
Black Visor - 100,000 cR
Sgt Johnson FF Voice - 100.000 cR

Plus some other armour trinkets. Now, where's the Gungnir Bungie and how much will I have to pony up? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom