• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its a new thread new day and this Halo stuff is moving so fast.

If anyone wants the chance to win the Legendary stuff, minus the actual game and dlc armors send me a msg and I'll enter you into a random drawing. Comes with the box novel, papers, statue and other misc stuff.

Werd.

Shoogoo

xxjuicesxx said:
Well its a new thread new day and this Halo stuff is moving so fast.

If anyone wants the chance to win the Legendary stuff, minus the actual game and dlc armors send me a msg and I'll enter you into a random drawing. Comes with the box novel, papers, statue and other misc stuff.

Werd.

US only?

edit: FUCK SWAT. FUCK IT.

Gr1mLock said:
seriously..wtf is it with the people who play this game? tonight consisted of everyone voting either swat or snipers as usual, proceeding to learn that not everyone is a '1337 sn1p3r' getting their face owned then quitting ten seconds into the game. its is REALLY hard to stay a good sport when literally 3 out of 5 games go like this. At this point id kill to just be able to separate snipers and swat into different playlists so the assholes who insist on always playing this can go and do that shit with each other. i will take one for the team no problem but there's only so many fucking games of consecutive swat on pinnacle i can take.

I had this problem last week. I just moved onto playing the Arena playlist when I'm playing by myself. When with friends, we can outvote the morons who think swat is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Shame arena doesn't have standard openings though. I hope I can get some time in to do the challenges today, they sound pretty easy.

Speaking of swat me and some gaffers last night were spawning in the fireing line of the enemy or as one member had it, died at spawn.

The whole spawn system in reach is 10 times worse then halo 2 and 3, you should be limited to spawning behind cover in a swat game... and even then you should not be spawning next to the enemy at all.

Shake Appeal said:
Well, you have to not die as much as possible.

Or, actually, you could just intentionally die after every killing spree, but that would be dumb.

First time I played I tried not dieing, but because of how many more kills you need for stuff after untouchable the grunts ran out before I got the challenge complete.

So the second time I played I killed myself after every spree. :lol

Also challenges like throwing fireballs and CQC really shouldnt exist, they do sorta promote bad play.

Miggytronz

BTB Headhunter on Hemmorage is a fucking blast, especially when all 8 on the team are all your friends. lots of good laughs.

Blueblur1 said:
I'm not a fan of this new thread title. I keep missing the thread when I'm quickly glancing at the Gaming Discussion page.

And goddamit, Bungie ban these assholes immediately and work on a fix. >:|
Subscribe and User CP.
watership said:
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection
Infection

this is my last few games. Why is everyone in rumble pit choosing this? I jump out of matchmaking, grab a completely new group. ZOMBIES.

WTF?!

This happened last night too. Is this going on for anyone else?
I only hop into Rumble Pit to play zombies. That's just me, but that may be the case for a lot of others as well.

bobs99 ... said:
Also challenges like throwing fireballs and CQC really shouldnt exist, they do sorta promote bad play.

You just have no appreciation for us sprinting double melee guys. Put a DMR in my hands and I'm retarded (unless it's SWAT. I can land the first shot, it's the other four after that I have a problem with), but give me an assault rifle and sprint and I am good to go. I think I'm at about 900 melee kills now and just over 1000 headshot kills, so I obviously do a disproportionate amount of CQC. But I don't care, because it's the most fun I've ever had in Halo multiplayer. This is not Halo 2 or Halo 3, and for that I love it.

Looks like 3100 credits coming my way today.

EDIT: The best gametype is arena. If you just want to play standard slayer with all the armor abilities and everything else, go into arena. I almost never end up playing the Pro variants and I don't think I've ever seen a game of SWAT or snipers. If you just want to kill people with DMRs, play in the arena. I think alot of people are scared off because its the "hardcore list" where all the "serious players" play, but thats a bunch of nonsense. And it beats the hell out of the slayer hopper any day of the week.

Dax01 said:
Subscribe and User CP.

I only hop into Rumble Pit to play zombies. That's just me, but that may be the case for other a lot of others as well.
When I enter the FFA playlist I 90% expect infection of safe haven, so I hardly bother with it.

Like I said before invasion is the best gametype :D

Sean

Banned
Rumble Pit really should really be renamed "the 24/7 Infection Playlist" cause people vote for that shit 100% of the time. Fucking annoying.

At least you can take advantage of that fact today to get the CQC daily challenge easily. Sword + Shotgun = easy close quarters kills.

Well that's a real shame... The game has been modded and it is only two weeks since release.

I sincerely hope something can be done to fix this as soon as possible, otherwise it may be Halo 2 all over again.

I have always wondered why MS doesn't have the power to ban consoles that are used when modding on xbl... It would almost eliminate the problem if every time you got caught for modding your console was banned.

edit: :\ post #

Guys. Be fucking square with me here. Been out of the 360 Camp, for 2-3 years.

Is it worth buying a slim 250 gig, for Reach alone? Dont have console buddies(my part of the European peninsula, plays mostly PC gaming)... Is the online that awesome? Is the long term community safe, or is everyone gonna jump bail for the next COD or Battlefield, or bleh.

I get the feeling the campaign is fun, but people don't seem to go, "OMG-UNCHARTED-2-LOL-MUST-PLAY-CAMPAIGN-THIRTY-TIMES-IN-A-ROW" - But the multiplayer.

Reach has impressive player numbers right now, but it always suck when you buy a XBL enabled game, and the community is dead with a few servers. Obviously Halo has it's fans, but will this be the counter-strike of the console(the king), or do you think people are just playing Halo until something better comes along, like Medal of Honor, Brink, BF2 Vietnam or Black Ops?

STG said:
what the...

Well for throwing fireballs I saw LOTS of nade spam, and today when going for the CQC one I literally played a game where everyone camped lift room with a sword on Sword Base.

Maybe its just a coincidence, but in my opinion if you put up challenges that require 'x' kills using 'y', people will go out of theyre way to just use 'y' all game.

Pyke Presco said:
You just have no appreciation for us sprinting double melee guys. Put a DMR in my hands and I'm retarded (unless it's SWAT. I can land the first shot, it's the other four after that I have a problem with), but give me an assault rifle and sprint and I am good to go. I think I'm at about 900 melee kills now and just over 1000 headshot kills, so I obviously do a disproportionate amount of CQC. But I don't care, because it's the most fun I've ever had in Halo multiplayer. This is not Halo 2 or Halo 3, and for that I love it.

Looks like 3100 credits coming my way today.

EDIT: The best gametype is arena. If you just want to play standard slayer with all the armor abilities and everything else, go into arena. I almost never end up playing the Pro variants and I don't think I've ever seen a game of SWAT or snipers. If you just want to kill people with DMRs, play in the arena. I think alot of people are scared off because its the "hardcore list" where all the "serious players" play, but thats a bunch of nonsense. And it beats the hell out of the slayer hopper any day of the week.

However anyone else plays the game is fine by me - but when a challenge literally makes EVERYONE want to be the double melee guy, thats when there could be problems. Im the headshot only type of guy, and even I was using armour lock and melee in all my games today. :lol

Your right though, I guess the people who use CQC a lot deserve challenges that reward theyre style of play.

LCfiner

Vigilant Walrus said:
Guys. Be fucking square with me here. Been out of the 360 Camp, for 2-3 years.

Is it worth buying a slim 250 gig, for Reach alone? Dont have console buddies(my part of the European peninsula, plays mostly PC gaming)... Is the online that awesome? Is the long term community safe, or is everyone gonna jump bail for the next COD or Battlefield, or bleh.

I get the feeling the campaign is fun, but people don't seem to go, "OMG-UNCHARTED-2-LOL-MUST-PLAY-CAMPAIGN-THIRTY-TIMES-IN-A-ROW" - But the multiplayer.

Reach has impressive player numbers right now, but it always suck when you buy a XBL enabled game, and the community is dead with a few servers.
Obviously Halo has it's fans, but will this be the counter-strike of the console(the king), or do you think people are just playing Halo until something better comes along, like Medal of Honor, Brink, BF2 Vietnam or Black Ops?

I can never tell what's going on with you....

Halo Reach will have a healthy online presence for years to come. People were playing Halo 2 online up until MS shut down the servers 6 years later. it's not dying for a loooong time.

Whether or not you like the gameplay enough to make it worth the purchase of a 360 is a personal thing. but don't worry about lack of Halo games online

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Saw this yesterday but didn't have time to post - as expected, Reach OT2 shows up in no time - I'm glad I got to pick up the game before the OT2 since it was already at 18,500 or so posts... :lol

Still busy with Legendary Campaign, and only playing MP to get the Daily Challenges, nothing else to say right now except I hope that Bungie gets rid of these sad-ass modders soon.

Kibbles

Devin Olsen said:
Well that's a real shame... The game has been modded and it is only two weeks since release.

I sincerely hope something can be done to fix this as soon as possible, otherwise it may be Halo 2 all over again.

I have always wondered why MS doesn't have the power to ban consoles that are used when modding on xbl... It would almost eliminate the problem if every time you got caught for modding your console was banned.

edit: :\ post #
Yup, I blame you now.

PP charge into people, it feels like a single beat down then :lol I resort to this a lot in invasion because the elite repeater is shit compared to the human AR

Well looks like modders have found out what the next rank is.

2enT9.jpg

iSimon

Invasion on Boneyard when the rest of your team has quit is so much fun. Playing as Elites you're stuck in a spawn, die, spawn, die loop thanks to the one possible spawn point. :/

Trasher

Uhhh, you had to be a modder to know the next rank is Commander? I thought it showed you the next rank when you are Lt. Colonel grade 3.

aesop

Buckethead said:
Any tips on tank preservation for The Package?
This is what worked for me: (light campaign spoilers)

As soon as you get in the tank, take out the first floating platform immediately. Slowly round the corner and take out the shade turret. Spam your main cannon at the group of covie's taking cover to the left. Drive up the hill and take out the AA guns from afar using the tank. It'll take 6 or so shots. Hang back and bomb the incoming banshees until they are all gone. Drive up the hill killing any stragglers and aim for the next floating platform as soon as you can see it. There will be 3 ghosts coming at you after you crest the hill, but if you look for them and blast them, you will get one at a time. Next, hop out of the tank and look for the fuel rod cannon that the grunt on the platform was using. It usually lands right around the base of the platform. Slowly climb up the middle of the next hill and watch for shade fire. If you aim carefully, you can take out both shades that fire on you as soon as get to the top of the hill using the FRG. Just remember to aim high because the FRG has a wicked arc over long distances. (It's a huge help to take those things out on foot, because on legendary, they spam fire on you so fast and you can't dodge shit in that slow moving tank.) After the turrets are down, hop back in the scorpion and round the hill staying on the left hand side. You should see a revenant coming at you, so be sure to destroy it ASAP. There will be another shade turret blasting you at this point, and you should be able to aim at the source of the fire and take it out. Head towards the base and lookout for one more revenant that will be on your tail.

Profit.  And yes, that was an exhaustive explanation, but it took me a while to get that down on legendary.

Trasher said:
Uhhh, you had to be a modder to know the next rank is Commander? I thought it showed you the next rank when you are Lt. Colonel grade 3.
Actually the cap is Lt.Colonel Grade 3 right now.... So the rank Commander (and the graphic) are new, and currently un accessible.

iSimon said:
Invasion on Boneyard when the rest of your team has quit is so much fun. Playing as Elites you're stuck in a spawn, die, spawn, die loop thanks to the one possible spawn point. :/
This is one reason why I think the elite's have weak gear, needler is good but it's an easy wepaon to dodge, repeater is weaker then the AR so good luck taking someone out with it before it overheats, PP is a good side arm but only good 1 on 1.

I know there are needle rifles laying around but get caught be someone with a DMR crouch shooting you and you'e read in 3 seconds off the spawn point, I know because I do this myself.

Elites were gimped and they don't have much more shield then a spartan now, their hp is low too, I see too many people quit first stage because they fail to take a point and it's annoying me just how powerful human weapons are against elites.

If the human sniper can take out a tank in 5 shots why does the focus rifle do little damage to vehicles?

Rockets home better then the plasma launcher, the PL is now rubbish in most situations and travels slower then a flying rocket.

Repeater vs AR, AR wins for two reasons, one being that the AR has a damage output boost since the beta and 2 it's hit scan, just aim and spray!

PP is terrible over range but the magnum is not, PP charge has travel time and once their shield is down it takes about 5 shots to kill, Magnum can do all that better. Only time the PP is good is for stalling a vehicle or up close for a cheap charge and melee combo.

The tank is 10 times better then the wraith, stronger in all ways, you can snipe with the tank and it's shots have huge splash damage, the wraith's splash is no better but the shots have an arc and travel time, harder to aim at anyone not right in front of you.

I've played enough rounds of invasion to learn to steal human weapons and then dominate on the poor souls until I run out of ammo.

chess

Tried to play 2 game of TS last night. SWAT and SWAT, stupid daily challenge! I'm glad the challenges are there for those that care but it shouldn't control matchmaking. I'm not bad at SWAT. In fact, I'm pretty good at it. I just can't wait until it's a choice in a couple weeks. Classic Slayer will be deeply missed as it was my favorite and brought back all kinds of CE nostalgia.

COD:BO can't come out soon enough so Halo MM is enjoyable again.

I gotta admit, The Cage is growing on me. :D

They need to lower the ceiling for Jetpack users, but other than that I'm starting to enjoy the games I play on that map.

harrytang

after 40 hours of game time i'm finally beginning to not suck. its been an incredibly frustrating, controller smashing ride up until this point. however I had a game last night that reminded me why halo is so much fun. team arena, ended up 50-49. we got the victory after being down by at least 10. 2 guys on my team had mics, but the other two must have been listening. we ended up working as a team and getting the victory. awesome.

i gotta say i really really dislike credit farming glitch that kotaku posted for the world to see yesterday. i'll keep grinding it out at ~600 credits a game, but i feel like im being left behind.

Louis Wu said:
Well, at least I made it in for Page 7.

DAYUM you guys talk a lot. :lol

Yeah well, were not all busy with a Nightclub to run. You might want to look into hiring some new bouncers BTW.

(nice AV)

tiddles

Last checkpoint before the credits, playing on Heroic I
ran past a lot of the enemies on the way up to the anti-aircraft gun... The game saved a checkpoint when I was at the gun, but if I tried to use the gun, the enemies in the previous area could shoot at me and kill me; if I tried to go back and kill those guys, the dropships in the air got too close and couldn't be killed in time with the AA gun. And the AA gun doesn't turn around far enough to target the elites behind me... Basically no way to complete this checkpoint, and the only alternative is to restart the mission :(

tiddles said:
ran past a lot of the enemies on the way up to the anti-aircraft gun... The game saved a checkpoint when I was at the gun, but if I tried to use the gun, the enemies in the previous area could shoot at me and kill me; if I tried to go back and kill those guys, the dropships in the air got too close and couldn't be killed in time with the AA gun. And the AA gun doesn't turn around far enough to target the elites behind me... Basically no way to complete this checkpoint, and the only alternative is to restart the mission :(

It's been said a couple times before, but if you suicide enough times, the game will revert you to a prior checkpoint.

harrytang said:
after 40 hours of game time i'm finally beginning to not suck. its been an incredibly frustrating, controller smashing ride up until this point. however I had a game last night that reminded me why halo is so much fun. team arena, ended up 50-49. we got the victory after being down by at least 10. 2 guys on my team had mics, but the other two must have been listening. we ended up working as a team and getting the victory. awesome.

i gotta say i really really dislike credit farming glitch that kotaku posted for the world to see yesterday. i'll keep grinding it out at ~600 credits a game, but i feel like im being left behind.
Score Attack is a blast to play when you want to kill some time solo, and you can rack up mad credits. Not as much as what Kotaku talked about, but still...

WaltJay

So I've been enjoying the multiplayer and taking my time with the single player campaign, and last night I decided I wanted to finish it up. I've been playing solo on Heroic, and it's been mostly enjoyable, and while difficult at times, I've managed pretty well...up until one point.

/rant on

So I'm at the next-to-last sequence where I need to use the cannon to shoot down the Covenant airships after Emile got whacked. Keep in mind that I've been playing the last missions for hours. The part where you have to clear the landing pad took forever. Just when I thought I was done, here comes another dropship with more baddies! Yay! And don't get me started on the useless AI soldiers that get sent to help.

During the last sequence, I just sprinted past the Elites to the cannon. However, they seem to have a unique skillset that allows them to hit me from 300 yards away with a plasma pistol while I'm in the cannon. Over and over, I get killed. On top of that, I have two of the more useless weapons for long-range combat (the shotgun and the plasma launcher), so staying by the cannon and picking them off it nigh impossible. Add to that, I have only a few bars of health.

I ran down from the cannon and found the room with the health pack and weapons, so I figured I need to clear the room before I can use the cannon, else I'll keep getting picked off (and did I ever -- I died no less than 30 times). I tried to angle the cannon, maybe to shield myself from the Elite fire -- no dice. The cannon is basically the "sit here to get shot at" machine.

On Heroic (solo), is it a must to clear that room prior to the cannon? My checkpoint is at the cannon, so the countdown has already begun so it's hard to clear all the enemies and make it back in-time to fire the cannon. I have a feeling I"m going to replaying the Checkpoint Bravo, which is right before clearing the landing site from the 9,324,991 Covenant troops before the Falcon can land.

It really sucks that I'm almost finished, and once again, in typical Bungie fashion, they stretch it out *just* a bit too long. Numerous times during the campaign I'm thinking, "another wave of enemies? are you shitting me?".

/rant off

WaltJay

tiddles said:

:lol @ this going up right before I finish my post

Edit:

divisionbyzorro said:
It's been said a couple times before, but if you suicide enough times, the game will revert you to a prior checkpoint.

I'm seriously going to try this.

LCfiner said:
I can never tell what's going on with you....

Halo Reach will have a healthy online presence for years to come. People were playing Halo 2 online up until MS shut down the servers 6 years later. it's not dying for a loooong time.

Whether or not you like the gameplay enough to make it worth the purchase of a 360 is a personal thing. but don't worry about lack of Halo games online

Ok. But do people here think the multiplayer is the multiplayer top dog in the world?

tiddles said:
Hop out of the gun and fight the enemies... The MacCannon battle is completely skippable, all you really need to do is hop in the gun right at the end when he tells you to fire at the large covenant ship.

Hopefully that helps you out, I know one of the other guys was having the same problem. After he took the advice to hop out of the gun he was able to finish successfully.

Edit:
WaltJay read this too, I am sure it'll help both of you.

tiddles

divisionbyzorro said:

Thanks! Good thing I didn't "rage-delete" my save :D

tiddles said:

Also, you can try and hunt the elites until the moment Keyes mention to shoot the Covenant cruiser. Then hop in the Mac Cannon and SHOOT.

aesop

Vigilant Walrus said:
Ok. But do people here think the multiplayer is the multiplayer top dog in the world?
It's a bit bumpy right now, but overall yes, in my opinion anyways. When Bungie gets the MP issues ironed out, and they will, it will be a beautiful thing.

WaltJay

Devin Olsen said:
Hop out of the gun and fight the enemies... The MacCannon battle is completely skippable, all you really need to do is hop in the gun right at the end when he tells you to fire at the large covenant ship.

Hopefully that helps you out, I know one of the other guys was having the same problem. After he took the advice to hop out of the gun he was able to finish successfully.

Edit:
WaltJay read this too, I am sure it'll help both of you.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it a shot (hur, hur) tonight.

I recall one part where the guy said, "shoot the ship now!" and the larger ship opened up. I tried to run back when the guy was saying that, but I was too late. I wasn't sure if I had to clear out all of the Banshees and other ships; hell, I could only ever manage to shoot one or two down before I got picked off. I could just grab the healthpack, and fight off the Elites, and when I get signal, fire the cannon.

cwmartin

Had a pretty awful night play-wise last night in the slayer hopper. Granted everything that came up was swat/snipers but I was still playing like complete ass. Wonky and jittery aiming, meleeing before their shields were down, poor placement of grenades, getting cornered alone, it was just a horrific night. Hopefully its just growing pains of getting better, :lol. I lowered my sensitivity to try and steady my cross hair and not having it jump when trying to aim as much. Probably need a day off as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom