• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

OMG Aero said:
Armour lock already takes long enough to recharge, if it fully depletes it takes ages to get a usable chunk of it back, and the recharging shields is one of the main uses of armour lock. If someone's shield recharges during armor lock, then your shields have recharged as well so that isn't unbalanced.
It seems to me like everyone who complains about armour lock hasn't figured out that it is sometimes best to ignore or get away from someone using it. If you are fighting someone alone who has armour lock then you can kill them perfectly fine when they come out of armour lock, all you need to do is be intelligent and time your grenades to explode when they come out then quickly shoot them. If you are fighting someone who has armour lock and they have team mates nearby or whose team mates show up while they are locked down, then you need to weigh up the odds whether you should stick around to get a kill or whether you should get out of there so you don't die. I use armour lock a lot and I've noticed that a lot of people see it as a giant flashing SHOOT ME sign and will stick around just so they get a chance to kill me while my team mates are shooting at them or run up behind them for an assassination.
This. My friend and I dominate most of doubles arena with me having armor lock and him with sprint. Armor lock still throws people off and they don't realize till its too late that my buddy has my back and they just wasted their time and life watching me crouch, impervious.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Neuromancer said:
Getting psychologically prepared for my solo legendary run on New Alexandria; any tips (other than the club easter egg)?

Kill all banshees as you go, they will tear you up.

If your falcon gets damaged bad jump off of it and get on a building, then call for extraction, you will get a new one delivered.

kaskade

Alienshogun said:
Kill all banshees as you go, they will tear you up.

If your falcon gets damaged bad jump off of it and get on a building, then call for extraction, you will get a new one delivered.
I just finished this mission. I thought I was going to have a big problem with the hunters but I just ran right past them. That mission overall wasn't too bad. I just didn't have a plasma pistol when all the jumper elites came in the building. That was kind of a pain. I'm doing pillar or autumn now. I figured I would finish New Alexandria and pillar now and then had the rest be sort of easy. I am not looking forward to wave after wave of brutes though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kaskade said:
I just finished this mission. I thought I was going to have a big problem with the hunters but I just ran right past them. That mission overall wasn't too bad. I just didn't have a plasma pistol when all the jumper elites came in the building. That was kind of a pain. I'm doing pillar or autumn now. I figured I would finish New Alexandria and pillar now and then had the rest be sort of easy. I am not looking forward to wave after wave of brutes though.

Yeah, just sprinting past the hunters is what I did my first go round.

GhaleonEB

Sai-kun said:
HALO: REACH: AWESOME ACTION MOVIE

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6039282&player=Retsalg

:lol my friend just did this. so awesome. I love how the debris flying next to the warthog makes it look like it went into slow-mo.
That was badass.

For the Crossroads map I just swapped out the Revenants for the comparatively less exciting Ghosts. Going through the films, the Revenant was the only one getting tossed out (one per game), so I'm hoping the Ghost doesn't have the same issue since it has a similar propulsion and physics system.

feel

Sai-kun said:
HALO: REACH: AWESOME ACTION MOVIE

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6039282&player=Retsalg

:lol my friend just did this. so awesome. I love how the debris flying next to the warthog makes it look like it went into slow-mo.
badass

nna05w.jpg

i know its late
but i see a party of eight
playing in forgegaf must be great
can please i get an invite or do i just wait
i want to help test maps so the authors can update
if not then maybe ill just sit and play with my prostate

Sai-kun

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
i know its late
but i see a party of eight
playing in forgegaf must be great
can please i get an invite or do i just wait
i want to help test maps so the authors can update
if not then maybe ill just sit and play with my prostate

this is a lot more fun than you'd think

All right thanks for all your help on the last level guys, New Alexandria on Legendary was surprisingly a piece of cake for me. It's weird, the levels I think are going to be the worst end up not being so bad, and the levels I think are going to be a cakewalk end up being a real bitch. :lol

Gearing up for the last level, PoA: any tips or hints other than the running past the hunters and jumping through the window trick? Should I stick with sprint as my AA?

Those wraiths in Exodus legendary have to be bugged somehow.

They always know where you are (even when using camo) and can arc their shots perfectly to nail you from just about anywhere. I managed to take one out with the sniper and cheese the second one by getting it in an angle where its shots kept getting blocked - but overall it was a lame battle.

And whoever thought out the Zealot entrance level in Long Night of Solace should be lined up and shot. Seriously, I'm supposed to solo my through 4-5 dual plasma wielding elites? Fun isn't the word I'd use to describe it. Challenging doesn't work either. Cheap? Yeah, that fits it to a tee.

I'm still loving this campaign, but in terms of difficulty its more cheap than challenging, otherwise its pretty easy. The reliance upon high explosives (that can take you out even behind cover) and super-mega-shielding-of-oh-look-all-your-ammo-is-gone on leadership elites is its primary downfall.

Sibylus

Banned
NullPointer said:

They always know where you are (even when using camo) and can arc their shots perfectly to nail you from just about anywhere. I managed to take one out with the sniper and cheese the second one by getting it in an angle where its shots kept getting blocked - but overall it was a lame battle.
On Legendary my warthog marines actually helped me out a lot for this, I wheeled around close to the Wraiths and they dutifully took out the gunners. Easy peasy to destroy the Wraiths from there.

And whoever thought out the Zealot entrance level in Long Night of Solace should be lined up and shot. Seriously, I'm supposed to solo my through 4-5 dual plasma wielding elites? Fun isn't the word I'd use to describe it. Challenging doesn't work either. Cheap? Yeah, that fits it to a tee.
Yeah, this was a tricky bit. What worked for me was killing the two Elites who jetpack onto the ship's hull, then dropping down onto the beam running across the ceiling. I'd wear down their shields one by one with my DMR (their shielding ain't too tough, so it's workable).

NullPointer said:

I'm still loving this campaign, but in terms of difficulty its more cheap than challenging, otherwise its pretty easy. The reliance upon high explosives (that can take you out even behind cover) and super-mega-shielding-of-oh-look-all-your-ammo-is-gone on leadership elites is its primary downfall.
Yep it's pretty frustrating. Those fucking wraiths are ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. You basically just have to keep moving, because no matter where you are or how well hidden you think you are, instadeath is just a fiery blue plasma bolt away.

And I know exactly what you mean about that part in Long Night, it sucks. Of course your asshole AI buddies take the easy way out and just commit suicide within the first 10 seconds. It's really poor game design, I don't mind a challenge but you're right, that's just cheap.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
985748655.png

My internet speed but when I play online, it has been a lagfest for the past week. It is frustrating.

Botolf said:
Yeah, this was a tricky bit. What worked for me was killing the two Elites who jetpack onto the ship's hull, then dropping down onto the beam running across the ceiling. I'd wear down their shields one by one with my DMR (their shielding ain't too tough, so it's workable).
You last about .7 seconds under their withering fire on that beam - so I ended up dropping down to it, trying to nail em with a sniper shot and then jumping back out once they had me in their sights. Lots of cat and mouse but eventually I got through it.

But it was just another encounter where I felt like I was playing it wrong, or at least not having the fun that was originally designed - instead I was finding any way to avoid having a fun battle in order to win. But since you can die so easily from even one or two shots from some enemy weapons, the entire tempo of the game slows to a halt.

Luckily its not that way throughout the campaign, but at certain points its a real bummer. I'd prefer more tactical battles rather than cat and mouse stuff (except for sniper levels of course. Loved it there :)

Neuromancer said:
Yep it's pretty frustrating. Those fucking wraiths are ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
That is a better word. Those fuckers are ridiculous.

zam said:
The part after you land the sabre on the corvette? I just pick up the sword lying in the hallway (by the dead elite that a marine kicks) before I get into the sabre. You keep all your weapons so when I get to that part I just slice the elites that jetpack out, then jump down and slice up all the elites inside. Easy peasy.
Now THAT I didn't know. Thanks. Whether or not your loadout carries over between game events is inconsistent, but I'll keep that in mind for next time. And while ripping the elites to shredded bits sounds like all kinds of fun I just couldn't manage to avoid getting vaporized by multiple dual plasma rifles in that area.

Its good to hear that not everybody is sharing my same gripes though. That gives me hope :)

zam

NullPointer said:
The part after you land the sabre on the corvette? I just pick up the sword lying in the hallway (by the dead elite that a marine kicks) before I get into the sabre. You keep all your weapons so when I get to that part I just slice the elites that jetpack out, then jump down and slice up all the elites inside. Easy peasy.

MrBig said:
The higher your rank is the more you get for customs and forge. I'm getting 92 at Lt. Colonel.

I got 100 cR yesterday for a custom match but my ''offline rank'' is commander grade 3. So I guess the amount you earn for customs is either based on your total amount of cR earned or your offline rank because our online rank is the same.

Sai-kun

Banned
zam said:

Or just keep the rockets from the Marine that runs past you when you go into the facility. So easy :D

zam

Sai-kun said:
Or just keep the rockets from the Marine that runs past you when you go into the facility. So easy :D
That works too. That part of LNoS is the easiest, never had any problems with that. Had to respawn a couple times in the bridge/control room though, but that level on legendary was a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be. After hearing everyone complaining about that level I was kinda dreading it, but went pretty smooth.
Last part of Exodus was a bitch however

Sibylus

Banned
NullPointer said:
But it was just another encounter where I felt like I was playing it wrong, or at least not having the fun that was originally designed - instead I was finding any way to avoid having a fun battle in order to win. But since you can die so easily from even one or two shots from some enemy weapons, the entire tempo of the game slows to a halt.
Can't argue with you there, I was perched in the one safe spot on the beam and was poking my head out every now and then to drain a random Elite's shields. It was rather tedious and took a few deaths to advance through the section.

zam said:
I was kicking myself so hard for not doing this on my Legendary run. Especially because I actually paused at that sword for a couple seconds thinking it over :lol

Kuroyume

Banned
Did they change the betrayal system to the Halo 3 one already? I just played two agitating as fuck games where I kept getting betrayed repeatedly and no boot prompt came up but the second I returned the favor I was booted. JUST FUCKING STUPID.

Ramirez

Unicorn said:
This. My friend and I dominate most of doubles arena with me having armor lock and him with sprint. Armor lock still throws people off and they don't realize till its too late that my buddy has my back and they just wasted their time and life watching me crouch, impervious.

You've played less than 20 (lost 7, won 5) games of Doubles Arena and have a .74 K/D ratio, this is dominating?

Me, Eazy, and Laughtrey played a game on Zealot in Arena where the whole team used AL, it was so stupid. I joined in later on in the match, altogether there were 25 rejection medals handed out. Eazy said he was gonna upload it to youtube and title it "high level arena play". :lol

Hey how come you guys (Bungie) haven't rolled those lockout/wizard remakes into the hoppers?

GhaleonEB

I went through Tip of the Spear tonight on solo Legendary, and loved it. I had the polar opposite experience as last night with Nightfall, which I felt was often cheap and/or frustrating. This time around was very hard, and I died a LOT - 32 times to be precise - but I always knew why and felt like it was my fault. I was forced to use a number of tactics I hadn't considered on my Heroic run, such as jacking a Wraith to take out the two Hunters by the second gun. I had several of those crazy encounters where you're fleeing from death raining down from all sides, but have just enough cover and ammo scraps to get by. Some great sniping, a good mix of vehicular and infantry combat and a couple of huge set pieces. One of the two best missions in the campaign so far on Legendary (I loved Oni Sword Base as well). I'll be playing this again, several times over.

Had one awesome moment I'll clip out tomorrow, involving Kat saving my backside with the rocket Hog.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Today was the first day since Reach launched that I didn't play at all. Not even one game. Hung out with the wife during the day and went out drinking tonight.

Tempted to fire it up go get at least one Rumble Pit in to keep the streak alive but.... so sleepy :/ Mixed feelings, all around.

Unicorn

Ramirez said:
You've played less than 20 (lost 7, won 5) games of Doubles Arena and have a .74 K/D ratio, this is dominating?

Me, Eazy, and Laughtrey played a game on Zealot in Arena where the whole team used AL, it was so stupid. I joined in later on in the match, altogether there were 25 rejection medals handed out. Eazy said he was gonna upload it to youtube and title it "high level arena play". :lol

Hey how come you guys (Bungie) haven't rolled those lockout/wizard remakes into the hoppers?
:/
Pinnacle is a terrible map for me, perhaps I was including some team slayer matches as well. Either way its best used with a partner.

theultimo

GDJustin said:
Today was the first day since Reach launched that I didn't play at all. Not even one game. Hung out with the wife during the day and went out drinking tonight.

Tempted to fire it up go get at least one Rumble Pit in to keep the streak alive but.... so sleepy :/ Mixed feelings, all around.
Feeling that way as well. Its starting to get annoying the amount of quitting and small fixes needed.

GDJustin said:

RL... feels good bro.

cantona222

Guys,
Whoever played the game is considered lucky in my standards.
I bought the game a while ago but I didn't have the time to pop it in. I'm starting to have second thoughts about my marriage. It is interfering with my gaming time :lol What a geek

finished the campaign yesterday. Ofcourse nobody here plays it.. but i thought it was the best Halo campaign i played so far (never played Halo1 though...). Ending was a bit sudden for me, but the epilogue was pretty okay.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Dear bungie

Please make infection less crappy. Or more specifically the maps it is played on. Spawning as a zombie for 3 straight rounds on a map where everyone camps on a roof that shouldn't even be reachable is not fun.

Got the OST today :) I'm really happy about this. The beginning of the track "Epilogue" is so nice.

I hope there will be a awesome high-quality artbook for Reach like the Uncharted 2 and God Of War 3 thing.

Btw. cant wait to hear the 343i Podcast today or tomorrow :)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GDJustin said:

Oh man that sucks, spending the day with your wife and drinking. If only you could've been playing vidya games. ⊙▂⊙

GhaleonEB said:
I was forced to use a number of tactics I hadn't considered on my Heroic run, such as jacking a Wraith to take out the two Hunters by the second gun.
I had a similar moment of using different tactics on my Legendary run. Unfortunately for me I had already destroyed the Wraith, I had no power weapons and the game checkpointed. I ended up luring the Hunters outside the gun to the hill/entrance, went around the other side with my Warthog, parked it so I could get extra height and jump up the cliff, ran inside all sneaky like and threw a grenade in the core. Felt damn good to think outside the box.

.nimrod

New challenges are up:

Weekly Challenge:

Your Daily Dose
Complete all of the Daily Challenges for a given day. -2000cR

Daily Challenges:

More than a Handful

Kill 77 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking. -750cR

One Spartan Army
Kill 100 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking. -1000cR

Roast 'em, Toast 'em
Kill 10 enemies while jet-packing in Exodus on Normal. -600cR

The T.G. Opposition

Kill 40 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with the Shotgun. -600cR

They probably couldn't think of any challenges more boring than that -.-

Ghaleon EB said:
I was forced to use a number of tactics I hadn't considered on my Heroic run, such as jacking a Wraith to take out the two Hunters by the second gun.

I ended up just doing long range bombardment in a Revenant for that part, then going on a splatter spree to clean up most of the elites in that region.

Weekly challenge this week a lot easier/less time consuming this week so should be an easily weekly if anyone has not gotten the achievement for it yet.

wwm0nkey

Ok here are some things I hope happens to Reach soon.

Challenges: Add some custom game challenges or something!

Firefight Matchmaking: There needs to be versus and cooperative (being one whole set instead of just 1)

Big Team: NEEDS MORE MAPS!

Invasion: NEEDS A LOT MORE MAPS!

Gui_PT

It's the 3rd time we've gotten that Exodus challenge already.

Nice challenges, I guess

Ajemsuhgao said:
Decided to start something today.

Should be done by tomorrow, assuming I don't play Reach all day. :lol

That looks sweet. Weird question; do you think you could make the neogaf "ball" in there ?

theultimo

wwm0nkey said:
Ok here are some things I hope happens to Reach soon.

Challenges: Add some custom game challenges or something!

Seriously, We have seen the same challenges 2, 3, 4, even 5 times. Give us something unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom