• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

panda21

it just told me to install it when i started it today.. i'm sure i had already though. is there any way to check if you have it installed or not?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Pete Rock said:
Why did they design an AA that only works in LAN environments where pings range from ~3-12ms when a "green bar" game of Halo 3 is 150ms? Awful :lol

It really doesn't ruin the game for me, but it is something I find legitimately terrible relative to the other AA's that don't grant my enemies magical abilities when the host is absolute garbage.

That has nothing to do with the AA, shots registering on client but not on host isn't new.

That video you posted is stupid too, get it from the actual players saved film, not just the same film from a different camera perspective.

This game still has the classic "I saw blood but nothing happened", but it definitely happens a lot less than any halo game I've played.

Does someone have that video of the guy on avalanche getting sniped like 40 times in the head while standing still?

Demoncarnotaur said:
Found what I was talking about earlier-

So we know of at least one DLC map it seems, unless Im mistaken and that is part of Forge World.
Hmm

Looks too brown to be Forge world although I guess that could be a filter.

Pete Rock

LAUGHTREY said:
That has nothing to do with the AA, shots registering on client but not on host isn't new.
Right, except every game I've experienced this in has been "green bar" by Halo standards, and if it was easy enough to explain it away through latency I already would have a long time ago. I have yet to see a legitimately crappy game with bloodshots left and right and this type of AL behavior running rampant, it tends to be a problem exclusively on its own.

That video you posted is stupid too, get it from the actual players saved film, not just the same film from a different camera perspective.
It would be most interesting to compare the two perspectives, I agree, although as far as evidence I find they are suitable examples of the problems people are having with the AA.

The Lamonster said:
Which AA are you talking about?
Yes, I realize an argument about LAN pingtimes versus P2P connections can be distilled to "lol shooters on a console" but I wasn't attempting to be so reductive.

Edit: an interesting note from our dialog on b.net:
The 'invincibility' issue that the video complains about doesn't happen with armor piercing weapons.

IE - melee, DMR, pistol... all do no damage to health before the shields are popped.

I never have that issue when using a sniper, rockets or grenades against a person coming out of AL.
Interesting, I will have to experiment with this. Any other thoughts?

Demoncarnotaur said:

So we know of at least one DLC map it seems, unless Im mistaken and that is part of Forge World.
Looks like another boring and cluttered campaign environment :(

Demoncarnotaur said:

I hope this means that the new maps won't necessarily be tied to the campaign, since disc space isn't an issue any more (although I don't have a lot of space left on my measly HD). Can't say I recognize that portion from the campaign, although it does look similar to the 5th Mission/Spire level.

TommyT

Pete Rock said:
This is the type of stuff I'm talking about, specifically this instance at 1:45. Instead of two dmr shots that don't register, imagine I'm in place for a sprint after the EMP, prepared to throw the beatdown assassination. Not only does it fail to register - but I then have to throw two melee attacks to kill him because his shields regenerated slightly during this period of invulnerability, while he was allowed to advance and melee my teammate.

Why did both of us see the same garbage if it's lag? Do they need host for this to be so catass? Either way I despise it.

I get the opposite... Right when I break AL and get melee'd I die. I wish this stuff happened to me :lol

The Lamonster said:
Looks like another boring and cluttered campaign environment :(

Yeah, it really strikes me as a color swap in forgeworld. It doesn't look bad necessarily, it would make an great environment for some types of gameplay I'm sure. It just seems far too similar to the look an feel of forgeworld from that small, blurry shot.

Raiden

Banned
squidhands said:
I hope this means that the new maps won't necessarily be tied to the campaign, since disc space isn't an issue any more (although I don't have a lot of space left on my measly HD). Can't say I recognize that portion from the campaign, although it does look similar to the 5th Mission/Spire level.

God i hope so :(

I cant wait for Reach to get to the Halo 3 level of map awesomeness and variation, i really like Reach so dont take this as a troll, but im really bored of the current maps out there, and i have a general dislike for single-player to multiplayer map forgings.

Raiden said:

I cant wait for Reach to get to the Halo 3 level of map awesomeness and variation, i really like Reach so dont take this as a troll, but im really bored of the current maps out there, and i have a general dislike for single-player to multiplayer map forgings.
Agree 100% with this. Think about the Halo 2 maps. We had a desert map, a snow map, a city map, a cave map, etc etc etc. Cool themes and varied environments.

Kapura

Banned
After looking at all of the truly horrific spawn placement in maps I'm downloading, I'm thinking of writing a short piece on spawn philosophy. People just seem to put down spawns without thinking about spawning; this is bad.

Hugbot

Kapura said:
After looking at all of the truly horrific spawn placement in maps I'm downloading, I'm thinking of writing a short piece on spawn philosophy. People just seem to put down spawns without thinking about spawning; this is bad.
Please do. This is where a lot of the really good looking Forge maps fall apart and it's the most important thing when it comes time to actually play a map.

GhaleonEB

Kapura said:
Please do. I already have a mini-rant planned out on the Forge blog I'm writing, but I won't get to spawn placement until late next week. I see a similar issue with spawn placement; we've had issues on GAF customs where people keep spawing 1) way the heck away from their base and exposed to gunfire and 2) only spawn inside their base, when its getting mobbed.

Speaking of which - could someone describe the right application the Anti-Spawn zone in Forge? I have the primary and Weak ones down and they work well, but I'm not sure what the right way is to use the Anti's. I'm thinking they're primarily applied to neutral spawns, but I'm not sure.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Pete Rock said:
Right, except every game I've experienced this in has been "green bar" by Halo standards, and if it was easy enough to explain it away through latency I already would have a long time ago. I have yet to see a legitimately crappy game with bloodshots left and right and this type of AL behavior running rampant, it tends to be a problem exclusively on its own.
So your problem is with the game not showing a more detailed ping description in the menu? This I didn't say anything about that in the quote you have there either, it can happen just as much with going behind a wall.

Edit: an interesting note from our dialog on b.net:

Interesting, I will have to experiment with this. Any other thoughts?

Those things are less prone to getting a hit or miss based on lag. If you have host and client disagree on where someone was relative to a rocket, it doesn't matter as much since the explosion is huge compared to the one DMR bullet.

Gui_PT

Thanks for the games guys. The 7 wins challenge was the one I enjoyed the most so far. Hope we get more challenges that promote teamwork like this.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Speaking of which - could someone describe the right application the Anti-Spawn zone in Forge? I have the primary and Weak ones down and they work well, but I'm not sure what the right way is to use the Anti's. I'm thinking they're primarily applied to neutral spawns, but I'm not sure.

I'm not a forge expert, but I assume they're used for places where you don't want that team to spawn.

Fake edit: And here's what the Forge Objects Guide has to say:

Respawn Influencers
A red team anti respawn zone will cause red team to never respawn there.

All types of respawn influencers only affect the team that owns them (or all teams/players if they belong to neutral).

Non-neutral influencers do not affect FFA spawning, except in FFA gametypes with fake teams like Infection and Juggernaut. In Infection, humans are Red Team and zombies are Blue Team. In Juggernaut, the juggernaut is blue team and everyone else is red team.

Kuroyume

Banned
Game is starting to wear out my patience...

It seems to me that there aren't many people on here who play BTB so I probably won't get an answer, but nonetheless I'm curious to know if anyone is as annoyed with the settings in BTB as I am. I mean... I hardly get a chance to have a firearm vs firearm battle on that map with the amount of vehicle spam that goes on in there. I very much like the fact that the wraith is in there instead of the tank but in retrospect it seems that the tank made it play better because the other vehicles were cleared out instantly. 90% of the time now I'm either trying to take out a warthog, wraith, mongoose, or mini wraith. The mongooses obviously aren't as big a problem but the mini wraiths especially ruin the game with the amount of damage they can take. It takes forever to kill destroy those things... All the ammo in a DMR easily. Also, it's incredibly annoying how just slightly touching a vehicle will destroy your shield. Whose stupid idea was that? The amount of times that I've had a teammate slightly bump into me and blow my shield away for an easy kill is absurd, not to mention how much it happens when you try to hijack something and both you and an the enemy dance around in circles.

Also, the respawn time for the vehicles is inane. There isn't a moment where there isn;t someone driving around a being annoying.

2 wraiths
2 mini wraiths
2 ghosts
4 warthogs
4 mongooses

Seriously, what the hell?

GhaleonEB said:
Please do. I already have a mini-rant planned out on the Forge blog I'm writing, but I won't get to spawn placement until late next week. I see a similar issue with spawn placement; we've had issues on GAF customs where people keep spawing 1) way the heck away from their base and exposed to gunfire and 2) only spawn inside their base, when its getting mobbed.

Besides what Zayne posted, the best example is to put a Blue anti in/around the Red Base for games like CTF, that way there's no chance that Blue could spawn close to the enemy flag.

Edit: What I'm gathering from watching custom films and talking with other forge folks, Reach's system seems to want to spawn you further away from your previous death than it did in H3. I think large respawn zones are to blame for this, since they basically block off your map into smaller sections. If you have only one (large) respawn area set up per team, the game will always prioritize that zone and will ultimately spawn you as far away from your previous death as possible (which is why Boneyard is so screwed up). You might want to try and set up two or three smaller zones per team to see if that helps with your poor spawn location.

I find that getting the spawns down is particularly hard. I'm having some trouble with the spawns on my current Work In Progress.

The thing I'm having the most trouble with is making it so the teams don't keep spawning in their base when they're getting owned. It makes it so it's super easy to spawn camp a base.

I'd love to see that Kapura, It took me a few tries to get spawns right on my really simple symmetric map, but my next map is far more complex, designed 1 flag/1 bomb/territories, and spawns are going to throw me off really badly.

-Yeti said:
I find that getting the spawns down is particularly hard. I'm having some trouble with the spawns on my current Work In Progress.

The thing I'm having the most trouble with is making it so the teams don't keep spawning in their base when they're getting owned. It makes it so it's super easy to spawn camp a base.
If you're just talking about Slayer, don't use zones.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Are one bomb assault screenshots not getting auto uploaded because it as the word "ass" in it? Lame, lame, lame. :lol

Mooreberg said:
Are one bomb assault screenshots not getting auto uploaded because it as the word "ass" in it? Lame, lame, lame. :lol

Given the vocabulary of the average Halo player, you'd think Bungie would have stopped caring about the BLAMs by now.:lol

MrBig

Cuban Legend said:
Lolin.
But it's not an egg. It's how they get stuff to disappear now. The most obvious use of it that anyone can see is
Keye's
pelican on the last level.

When bungie allows spoilers on their site (with the next playlist update?) can we finally stop putting spoiler tags on everything?

Dani said:
But for any Team game, they are usually needed.
Right, I couldn't tell which gametype he was talking about.

Like I mentioned earlier, Yeti, you might want to try setting up two or three smaller zones per team. One that encapsulates the base, and two more outside of it that could act as safety spawns in case your team gets into a bad spot.

Sorry if old, but;

I think that
Club Errera
is a direct port of the firefight map Crater from ODST.

Different Textures of course, but the geometry is largely the same. It would make sense if Bungie made it into a Reach firefight map.

MrBig

Pookaki said:
Sorry if old, but;

I think that
Club Errera
is a direct port of the firefight map Crater from ODST.

Different Textures of course, but the geometry is largely the same. It would make sense if Bungie made it into a Reach firefight map.
Noticed this on my first playthrough. I wonder why they did it though.

Mooreberg said:
Yep. It's really dumb.

The Lamonster said:
Guys please don't encourage more campaign-->multiplayer conversions. We really need some new environments in the DLC.
Well to be fair, I think Bungie's probably laid out its plans for DLC by now and not much we can say here will make a difference.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Campus Safety is now 3-0

We won the first game in sudden death. Shit was crazy. We got destroyed in the next game, Reflection Slayer. One of them had to go to class so he quit out and we won halfway through :lol

Neuromancer said:
Well to be fair, I think Bungie's probably laid out its plans for DLC by now and not much we can say here will make a difference.
You are probably right.

Most companies have DLC already created before the game ships, a sad fact of the videogame industry as it is today.

I'm not saying that Bungie has all the Downloadable maps done already, but it would not surprise me if they did.

Neuromancer said:
Either way, they need to know what's up. You can't make a game called Halo and then only have one map with a Halo in it. Just sayin'

squidhands said:
If you're just talking about Slayer, don't use zones.

Nah, it's for Multi-Flag CTF. I'm playing split-screen right now to test the spawns, and I'm wrecking my guest with the Banshee just by spawn killing. Should I perhaps set another Flag Home Spawn Zone somewhere else?

EDIT: Just saw your latest post. I'm going to add some more spawns around the base and add more spawn zones. Hopefully that works.

Hugbot

Pookaki said:
You are probably right.

Most companies have DLC already created before the game ships, a sad fact of the videogame industry as it is today.

I'm not saying that Bungie has all the Downloadable maps done already, but it would not surprise me if they did.
I imagine they have maps that were in varying degrees of completion when the game went gold and outside of that have a general plan for DLC. I doubt they have all of the DLC maps in a finished state right now, but they may all exist in some form, depending on how far they support it maybe just sketch-work. I also expect that we'll see the first map pack this year before Christmas for a Holiday push, and those maps are probably very nearly done.

Striker

Raiden said:

Er, you mean Halo 2, right?

I have high hope for DLC bringing more flavor for Team Objective and BTB.

Hugbot said:
I imagine they have maps that were in varying degrees of completion when the game went gold and outside of that have a general plan for DLC. I doubt they have all of the DLC maps in a finished state right now, but they may all exist in some form, depending on how far they support it maybe just sketch-work. I also expect that we'll see the first map pack this year before Christmas for a Holiday push, and those maps are probably very nearly done.
That seems very soon. When was the Heroic map pack released for Halo 3?

Hugbot

The Lamonster said:
That seems very soon. When was the Heroic map pack released for Halo 3?
The December after 3 came out.

Edit: There's actually more turnaround time this year (which may be necessary seeing as Cert is all fucked up right now - Reach DLC will jump the queue for sure though), as H3 came out late September instead of week two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom