• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugbot said:
The December after 3 came out.
Release: Sept 27 2007
Heroic: Dec 11 2007
Legendary: April 15 2008
Cold Storage: July 7 2008
Mythic: April 9 2009
Mythic 2: Feb 2 2010

Hopefully the Reach DLC plan is just as ambitious. I'd love a few new maps before the end of the year.

I'm crossing my finger for firefight only packs but something tells me they'll just get bundled in with the regular MP stuff so I'll have to buy all of it. Oh well.

Hugbot

The Lamonster said:
Release: Sept 27 2007
Heroic: Dec 11 2007
Legendary: April 15 2008
Cold Storage: July 7 2008
Mythic: April 9 2009
Mythic 2: Feb 2 2010

Hopefully the Reach DLC plan is just as ambitious. I'd love a few new maps before the end of the year.
I'd put money on the first pack coming this year, if only for everyone to have something "fresh" to talk about before Christmas. After that I guess it's a matter of how much continued support Bungie is giving it and whether 343 is taking over DLC or jumping into a different project. I'd certainly enjoy a release schedule similar to H3, though.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
squidhands said:
Besides what Zayne posted, the best example is to put a Blue anti in/around the Red Base for games like CTF, that way there's no chance that Blue could spawn close to the enemy flag.

Edit: What I'm gathering from watching custom films and talking with other forge folks, Reach's system seems to want to spawn you further away from your previous death than it did in H3. I think large respawn zones are to blame for this, since they basically block off your map into smaller sections. If you have only one (large) respawn area set up per team, the game will always prioritize that zone and will ultimately spawn you as far away from your previous death as possible (which is why Boneyard is so screwed up). You might want to try and set up two or three smaller zones per team to see if that helps with your poor spawn location.

I don't get the Anit spawn zones, why not just use red and blue spawns for the whole map instead of a neutral with an anti spawn zone over it?

Also, how do you get it to spawn you out away from the base if there are a ton of enemies at the base?

Okay, so after two attempts to mildly alter Pinnacle from its archaic design, I don't think I'm going to be forging much if anything over the course of Reach. I get too caught up in the minutiae and trying to make everything perfect. Every time I try to put pieces together, I just want to reach out with my hands and put it together that way. The way Forge has me do it is slow and leaves me frustrated.

Smokey said:
Rumble Pit is just about unplayable for anybody who wants to play Free for All. Fuck man. I had an hour of free time, oh I'll play some Halo Reach.

6/10 of my games in Rumble Pit during my free hour were Infection/Safe Havens

So this time that I had...I spent 60% of it quitting out of shitty Infection/Safe Havens bullshit. I managed to get a whole 3 games of slayer played in about 60 minutes.

Nice.
just quit out. no point in playing some shit that sucks.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Besides what Zayne posted, the best example is to put a Blue anti in/around the Red Base for games like CTF, that way there's no chance that Blue could spawn close to the enemy flag.

Edit: What I'm gathering from watching custom films and talking with other forge folks, Reach's system seems to want to spawn you further away from your previous death than it did in H3. I think large respawn zones are to blame for this, since they basically block off your map into smaller sections. If you have only one (large) respawn area set up per team, the game will always prioritize that zone and will ultimately spawn you as far away from your previous death as possible (which is why Boneyard is so screwed up). You might want to try and set up two or three smaller zones per team to see if that helps with your poor spawn location.
Gotcha, that makes sense. It's a way to essentially convert a swath of neutral spawns into one assigned to a specific team. Or in a multi-team game, prevent one team from using it. It will be the next time around when I use neutral spawns, as this time I just assigned them, since that worked for the specific map design I ended up with.
Dax01 said:
Okay, so after two attempts to mildly alter Pinnacle from its archaic design, I don't think I'm going to be forging much if anything over the course of Reach. I get too caught up in the minutiae and trying to make everything perfect. Every time I try to put pieces together, I just want to reach out with my hands and put it together that way. The way Forge has me do it is slow and leaves me frustrated.
Once you get used to the controls, and the coordinate system in particular, you can place objects very quickly. Several per minute. I'd have given up on my current map without the ease of coordinate editing.

Smokey

spermatic cord said:
just quit out. no point in playing some shit that sucks.

I did quit:lol

If you click the link in that post you'll see 7th and 8th places in Infection/SH. Still didn't matter. 3 of 5 of my first games were shit Infect/SH.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

MrBig

Going for the firefight challenge, use my last dmr shot on the second to last grunt, and, while switching to pistol, stuck. :C

Has anyone other than Wu tried out the FPS Freeks? I was thinking of picking up a set since my aiming ability is pretty poor. Curious what other people think of them.
Smokey said:
Rumble Pit is just about unplayable for anybody who wants to play Free for All. Fuck man. I had an hour of free time, oh I'll play some Halo Reach.
I had the same problem yesterday, so I stopped playing Rumble Pit. Hope they sort it out with the next playlist update because I like FFA.

Hugbot

SquallASF said:
Anyone have a recommendation for where to kill 50 elites the fastest? I just keep thinking of groups that only have 3 or 4.
The very last mission is good for it. ONI orbital strike farming if you want fast rather than fun.

MrBig

SquallASF said:
Anyone have a recommendation for where to kill 50 elites the fastest? I just keep thinking of groups that only have 3 or 4.
Long night of solace. Load up bravo and get to the control room. Then just keep reverting to saved.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cornballer said:
Has anyone other than Wu tried out the FPS Freeks? I was thinking of picking up a set since my aiming ability is pretty poor. Curious what other people think of them.I had the same problem yesterday, so I stopped playing Rumble Pit. Hope they sort it out with the next playlist update because I like FFA.

Yep, I use them and love them. They make "clenching" the controller a bit too easy to do though, so you may need to get used to them. Sometimes I get over excited and zoom in with shotgun. :lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Are you guys serious?

Why even bother remaking maps if you're just going to make them worse? It's not like you have forge and can easily rebalance Pinnacle by putting rockets somewhere neutral. It's not like Red team has something they can grab to counter it.

Why in gods name would you make a set limit to 2 snipers on that map? I got rocketed with our sides sniper and it disappeared on the ground, and another one for some unknown reason dropped on their side.

Now I'm not a math wiz, but two snipers that wont respawn, spawning on the SAME side for one team seems a little unbalanced to me. How does this shit get past anyone? Fix your maps guys, they are unfair.

I was thinking Long night because I remember a bunch of elites when you first dropped down but I couldn't recall if it just seemed that way on solo legendary with them pouncing on you the second you land haha I'll check it out, thanks. The last mission I seem to remember a lot more Brutes than Elites.

Alienshogun said:
Yep, I use them and love them. They make "clenching" the controller a bit too easy to do though, so you may need to get used to them. Sometimes I get over excited and zoom in with shotgun. :lol
Cool - if you guys both like them, I'll give them a try. Clenching might be an issue since I do that already, though turning on "clench protection" has helped me a bit.

Arnie

Don't worry about the map pack guys, I'm closing in on V1.0 of the greatest map ever. It's taking a bit of time though, but it'll be worth it.

feel

SquallASF said:
If you want to truly cheese it, the first elite you meet in Nightfall, that you are asked to kill silently, as you're approaching his area zoom the sniper and aim at his head the very second it's possible, and keep walking towards him till you trigger a checkpoint, then pull RT. After that keep reverting to last save and pulling the trigger 49 more times. Takes a couple of minutes to finish the challenge this way. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Pookaki said:
The MLG version of Sanctuary is sooo much better than Asylum. I highly recommend checking it out.

Yea, it's amazing. It flows so great.

Those matches were fucking INTENSE!!

We're 4-1 now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wrong. Do it on Lone Wolf. Easiest by FAR. Kill elites, when you
die and the screen goes black,
restart the level. Did it in like 10 minutes, and no stupid lockup issue. If you die on LNoS, it stops tracking beyond like 5 elites. If you stood there killing 20 elites and died, it counts you as killing 5.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:

what if reach was patched for kinect and allowed you to use it for Forge, and it worked well.

omg would buy

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
enzo_gt said:
Wrong. Do it on Lone Wolf. Easiest by FAR. Kill elites, when you
die and the screen goes black,
restart the level. Did it in like 10 minutes, and no stupid lockup issue. If you die on LNoS, it stops tracking beyond like 5 elites. If you stood there killing 20 elites and died, it counts you as killing 5.

Thanks for the suggestion. That seems like it would be a perfect way to get it done quickly.

This happened a bit ago, thought it was hilarious. Click the picture for the original. As soon as she came out of it, she jumped and we all did the same and smacked her.

Mr. Sam

Grimm Fandango said:
This happened a bit ago, thought it was hilarious. Click the picture for the original. As soon as she came out of it, she jumped and we all did the same and smacked her.

That happened to my friend - on big team. It was hilarious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Letters said:
Did you miss my post? :lol

after setting it up, all you have to do is

RT -> Start -> A -> up -> A

for a minute or two
I had the reply window open for a while before I submitted, forgive me :'(

THIS IS IT BY FAR.

I can't believe I wasted 8-9 minutes!

MrBig

Stabby McSter said:
I'm curious, what are the main differences?
It's all made out of forge pieces and not geometry. You can't fall of the side and its more accurate to the original. Also no places to hide/camp.

I hate it whenever someone on forgehub uses the word aesthetic. It just makes me want to cut syk. They're all 12 and don't know what it means besides "decorate your map bro."

Willeth

Talking about new maps, I was trying to think about campaign areas that could work for Invasion, and I was thinking maybe the start of Nightfall in reverse. Everything from the first Elite down to the building before you double back to the area with the giant silo in the middle. Overlook could also work as an Invasion map, maybe even either way.

Deadly Cyclone said:
I don't get the Anit spawn zones, why not just use red and blue spawns for the whole map instead of a neutral with an anti spawn zone over it?

Also, how do you get it to spawn you out away from the base if there are a ton of enemies at the base?
I think anti spawn zones are meant to act as absolutes; whatever team you pick will not spawn there, ever. It seems as if it's just one more tool that Bungie provided for us, but doesn't necessarily have to be used all the time.

As for the second part of your question, the enemy action inside one zone should be enough to activate the others as a safer place to spawn. Another argument to spread out your zones, so the enemy can't keep them all covered.

Louis Wu

electricpirate said:
Hey wu, hows the "Game Forged" contest going? Any ETA on when we'll get to see winners/ ratings on all the maps?
I'm still waiting on some scores from the Game Paused crew. They promised I'd have 'em by tonight. I hope they weren't lying. :(

zumphry

Banned
Anyone wanna do some matchmaking? I just need the 7 wins challenge, then I'll get the Weekly with that. Or should I just go into Rumble pit and win some Infection/Rocket Race?

I hear on the grapevine that it's Stinkles birthday today. Happy Birthday sir!
That podcast featuring said baldy would sure go down well Master Ellis.

------------------------
The think I dislike the most about Reach: The loading as a match starts where you can't communicate with your group (I hesitate to say party as I assume that's the case). It's really annoying.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
I think anti spawn zones are meant to act as absolutes; whatever team you pick will not spawn there, ever. It seems as if it's just one more tool that Bungie provided for us, but doesn't necessarily have to be used all the time.

As for the second part of your question, the enemy action inside one zone should be enough to activate the others as a safer place to spawn. Another argument to spread out your zones, so the enemy can't keep them all covered.
To add to both - I think the anti zone will have the same effect as a strong zone or a spawn set to a specific color in a two-team game. The only use I can think of is for multi-team (3+), when you want a spawn to be neutral but want one team NOT to spawn there. I can't think of any other use.

To the latter, I used the weak spawn zones as a set of "bail out" spawn areas on my map. I built the spawn zones in three tiers: around the base, a small distance from the base, and then a few locations (three, to be exact) weak zones a larger distance away from the base. The weak zone meant they would only be used if the spawns at and around the base were considered too dangerous to spawn players in according to the game engine. In reviewing the saved films from the play tests, they worked pretty well: when the base was getting mobbed, players spawned at the weak spawn zones so they didn't get caught in a spawn trap. Spreading them to three distinct areas meant they wouldn't be predictable and so players wouldn't - and didn't - get trapped.

Willeth said:
Talking about new maps, I was trying to think about campaign areas that could work for Invasion, and I was thinking maybe the start of Nightfall in reverse. Everything from the first Elite down to the building before you double back to the area with the giant silo in the middle. Overlook could also work as an Invasion map, maybe even either way.

On this topic of Campaign spaces as maps, I thought the part in Exodus where you have to wait for elevator to come would make a nice Firefight map.

EDIT:

Also, is it 7 games in a row for the challenge? Or just 7 games period..?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ajemsuhgao said:
On this topic of Campaign spaces as maps, I thought the part in Exodus where you have to wait for elevator to come would make a nice Firefight map.

EDIT:

Also, is it 7 games in a row for the challenge? Or just 7 games period..?
Would be way too similar to Boardwalk in layout IMO. And its 7 games period.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Just thought a game mode that would be very popular with a lot of the people online: Capture the Sniper Rifle. There is one sniper rifle in the middle of the map. Both teams try to capture it. Once a person on a team captures it, his teammates deliberately kill him to score a point. The first team to 15 deliberate betrayals against their teammate with the sniper rifle wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom