• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Bro

Banned
Nah, they're both pretty equal as far as quality goes.
(Absolute crap.)
I've just come to the conclusion that the guys who made the maps were dumb. I imagine they're the same guys who made Foundry thinking it would be the end all for Halo 3 forge sandbox maps.

Today was a very fun day, GAF. Thanks go out to all of you who joined! During our group romp through matchmaking we played Big Team Battle, Invasion, Team Slayer, Team Objective and even a Custom Game or two were had! Daily Challenges of 7 wins were eventually won and lols were had all throughout!

participants from GAF:
Dani
dax01
DiabolicalBagel
Gui_PT
Hypertrooper
LaszIo
LeadGandalf (awaiting activation)
ne0ism
SolidEyeSystem
Self Induced
thechapel
-Yeti
ZayneH

and our non-GAF guests:
Synergy Black
thebigmack88

Including Campaign and Firefight in total I played 27 games today. And completed all the daily challenges. :)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
_Bro said:
I've just come to the conclusion that the guys who made the maps were dumb. I imagine they're the same guys who made Foundry thinking it would be the end all for Halo 3 forge sandbox maps.

I don't think anyone thought that about Foundry. I will say though that it did produce some of the better maps I've played in Halo 3.

But seriously, why can Brutes armor lock if they don't have shields?

Has Bungie actually said anything about that and I just missed it?

Cuban Legend said:
Today was a very fun day, GAF. Thanks go out to all of you who joined! During our group romp through matchmaking we played Big Team Battle, Invasion, Team Slayer, Team Objective and even a Custom Game or two were had! Daily Challenges of 7 wins were eventually won and lols were had all throughout!

participants from GAF:
Dani
dax01
DiabolicalBagel
Gui_PT
Hypertrooper
LaszIo
LeadGandalf (awaiting activation)
ne0ism
SolidEyeSystem
Self Induced
thechapel
-Yeti
ZayneH

and our non-GAF guests:
Synergy Black
thebigmack88

Including Campaign and Firefight in total I played 27 games today. And completed all the daily challenges. :)

Yeah, it was fun.. even though I only played one game with you and chapel. :lol

I still think Asylum is the worst map. Totally awful.

I wasn't sure if it was possible but it turns out that without jetpacks the map is even worse. People can jump on top of those buildings and they're practically unassailable up there. I tried it out myself in a match and I never died when I went up there.

It breaks the golden rule of never having a place that is only accessible one way. not only is this place accessible from one direction, but even approaching from that direction takes careful jumping. Which means you're getting fired on from a safe point the whole time. Truly an awful experience every time I play on Asylum.

God, I hate Armor Lock. I'm finding more and more people using it aggressively as an attack weapon -- running in, using it to scatter the other team while grenades are thrown at the feet of the armor locked player by his own team since they know he'll be safe and enemies are nearby. I can be charging a guy and he'll pulse the armor lock right as I melee him so my shields drop, then melee me for an easy kill.

I know I keep bitching about it but it's really my main complaint with the game.

Here's ways I think would fix it -- any one of them alone would do a lot to make Armor Lock a better AA (and maybe reduce the numbers of people using it, from something like 75% now down to a more reasonable level).

- No "pulsing" of the Armor Lock. Using it requires a full charge and uses the entire charge.
- Add in a delay between use and the next action, similar to what Sprint has now. Being able to turn around and attack instantaneously is like a superpower on its own, even without the armor lock's shielding ability.
- Reduce the maximum amount of time that an Armor Lock use lasts for by at least 25% if not more. I shouldn't kill a guy, have his buddy go into Armor Lock and then find the guy I just killed shooting me before his buddy ever comes out of Armor Lock.

Anyway despite those frustrations I'm liking the game a lot, even if I am spending a ton of my time in Forge :lol

yeh armour lock it way too versatile, it shouldn't give an emp blast unless you charge it for a few seconds first... it beats EVERYTHING, even a lunging sword is no match for armour lock/melee combo, should a power weapon be so easy to beat by an armour ability? there's usually only 1 on the map, you should get the edge.

taking out ghosts so easy has crippled its worth.

and just having the ability to lock up when you've been beaten is fucked, you deserve to die, your opponent deserves the kill... then a team mate comes to the rescue.

armour lock needs to be nerfed.

jizzlobber said:
yeh armour lock it way too versatile, it shouldn't give an emp blast unless you charge it for a few seconds first... it beats EVERYTHING, even a lunging sword is no match for armour lock/melee combo, should a power weapon be so easy to beat by an armour ability? there's usually only 1 on the map, you should get the edge.

and just having the ability to lock up when you've been beaten is fucked, you deserve to die, your opponent deserves the kill... then a team mate comes to the rescue.

Completely agree. I haven't had much time at all to play and I've experienced these things to the point of frustration already.

jizzlobber said:

Sounds like you just need to adapt.

probably... but that doesn't mean nerfing armour lock isn't a god idea.
i'm not great at halo, but I like to think I know what's good and bad about reach

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Sounds like Armor Abilities might be better as pick ups and not loadouts.

Actually, it's absolutely better as pick ups

jizzlobber said:
probably... but that doesn't mean nerfing armour lock isn't a god idea.
i'm not great at halo, but I like to think I know what's good and bad about reach

I didn't say you were a terrible player or anything.

Armor lock is powerful but if they nerf it it just wouldn't be as fun to use... it's not a sure thing all the time. I get out of some pinches but not all when I use it.

that;s the problem with armour abilities I guess, and it's also what makes them great.
the fact that everyone has access to an ability at all times makes for interesting battles, but when you have something so powerful it should be a limited pick up, like a power weapon.

UltimaPooh said:
I didn't say you were a terrible player or anything.

Armor lock is powerful but if they nerf it it just wouldn't be as fun to use... it's not a sure thing all the time. I get out of some pinches but not all when I use it.

just make it so it doesn't do the emp blast without charging first, and maybe make it last a bit shorter so team mates have to be nearby to save your arse.

I just think it has too many strong perks, I use it all the time myself and I want it nerfed, so it'd affect me aswell! :D

Tashi0106 said:
Sounds like Armor Abilities might be better as pick ups and not loadouts.

Actually, it's absolutely better as pick ups
You have your fun playing MLG while the rest of us have fun playing Halo Reach.

I would like to test out this so-called MLG pickups gametype

jizzlobber said:
that;s the problem with armour abilities I guess, and it's also what makes them great.
the fact that everyone has access to an ability at all times makes for interesting battles, but when you have something so powerful it should be a limited pick up, like a power weapon.

The problem is that in certain cases they just make the game extremely frustrating.

For instance, if you fight an entire team with Armor Lock, or Camo, or Drop Shields. It's not so bad when there's a variety, but when they're all the same, you can get in to situations that magnify their strengths whilst reducing or eliminating their weaknesses.

As an example, the drop shield is quite overpowered by itself in MP as it's so hard to destroy. When you have 4 players dropping them it's effectively a regenerating bubble shield.

Willeth

Drop shields are affected by EMPs the same as everything else. Armor Lock near one and it's gone. GL one - gone. The different loadouts counter one another very well.

Raide

Willeth said:
Drop shields are affected by EMPs the same as everything else. Armor Lock near one and it's gone. GL one - gone. The different loadouts counter one another very well.

Some people just don't play with a certain AA long enough to understand its strengths and weaknesses. I love AL but its not perfect in all situations, much like the other AA's.

Hmm, surprised no-one beat me to it today:

Challenges:

Fire When Ready - 300cR

Kill 30 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking

Just a Shower - 2000cR

Complete any Campaign mission on Normal or harder with Thunderstorm on.

Heroic Demon - 2000cR

Kill 20 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking on Heroic or harder.

Headshot Honcho - 1100cR

Kill 11 enemies with headshots in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

STG

Fire When Ready - 300
Kill 30 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking

Just a Shower - 2000
Complete any Campaign mission on Normal or harder with Thunderstorm on.

Heroic Demon - 2000
Kill 20 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking on Heroic or harder.

Headshot Honcho - 1100
Kill 11 enemies with headshots in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

edit: beaten :/

Willeth said:

Have you tried doing this when there are 4 of them? And it's not as if the other team are just standing around whilst you or your teammates are about to walk up and EMP it either.

Grenades / Explosives don't take it down. An EMP is easily countered. If you get shot, retreat back in to it and you're invincible. You can easily prevent the other team from getting near by taking a few shots then retreating, or by throwing grenades.

4 drop shields combined basically have no weaknesses. Even if one is taken down, there are 3 more, and if you rotate the drops, another brand new one will be coming up soon. If you know what you're doing, the other team don't stand a chance.

Not to mention, if your team is remotely competent, no one will ever get near enough to take one down with Armour Lock, even if you only use 1. Unless you let him walk up to it, which is just stupid.

I really wish it was possible to check commendations and everything while in a game. Through the pause menu would be nice.

My 360 is right next to my PC(they even share monitors...) but it's still a pain to have to check B.net to see how far I am in certain things. Especially since B.net does update in realtime. :(

Ajemsuhgao said:
I really wish it was possible to check commendations and everything while in game. Through the pause menu would be nice.

My 360 is right next to my PC(they even share monitors...) but it's still a pain to have to check B.net to see how far I am in certain things. Especially since B.net does update in realtime. :(
Ehm? You can do it in-game. press start and go to Service Record. And then choose Commendation ;)

Hypertrooper said:
Ehm? You can do it in-game. press start and go to Service Record. And then choose Commendation ;)

During Campaign...?

My only options are

• Revert to Last Save
  • Restart Mission
  • Save and Quit

EDIT: I should have said "in a game". I know you can check commendations in the lobbies and everything. But not while you're actually playing a game.

Cynar

jizzlobber said:

Learn to play. Armour lock is fine. Don't stand next to the person and you won't get EMP'd, it's really not that hard to wrap your brain around.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
How can you be so terrible? Seriously.
2vwtzpf.png

The worst thing about armor lock in my opinion is when it blows up your vehicle when trying to splatter someone. It should definitely be able to cause me to flip over and roll, but kill? The BTB playlist can be very irritating as it's one of the playlists I play when I want vehicle combat but everyone just uses armor lock and the vehicles all become moot because they're all destroyed by people armor locking.

Raide

ToyMachine228 said:
The worst thing about armor lock in my opinion is when it blows up your vehicle when trying to splatter someone. It should definitely be able to cause me to flip over and roll, but kill? The BTB playlist can be very irritating as it's one of the playlists I play when I want vehicle combat but everyone just uses armor lock and the vehicles all become moot because they're all destroyed by people armor locking.

:lol

All those people going for splatters get owned by AL. Thats the way it should be.

Arnie

Tashi0106 said:
I have them but I have nobody to test them with. I just can't wait for the MLG Playlist to go live, I've lost a lot of motivation to play Reach recently with the terrible playlists, maps and spawns, not to mention the removal of a visual ranking. I would rather they just altered the mechanics behind the 1-50 ranks so boosters and quitters weren't as effective, rather than removing them altogether while including the only ranking system in the worlds shittiest playlist(Arena).

OMG Aero

So is it possible to get the elite firefight challenge in score attack? Before today the only modes of score attack I played was Gruntpocalypse and just now I tried the generator defence mode and that had brutes instead of elites.

Raide said:
:lol

All those people going for splatters get owned by AL. Thats the way it should be.

To be honest I feel like that almost was the original intention of AL. Especially since in H3 there were plenty of ghosts in the normal MM maps.

As someone who uses AL constantly, I still think it needs a slight adjusment--either length or take away the ability to spam it.

GhaleonEB

ToyMachine228 said:
I haven't played a lot of BTB, but even in the games I did it was easy to spot the guys rocking AL versus those who weren't: they were the ones not making an effort to get out of the way. If you're charging some dude in a Ghost and he's just standing there watching, you're better off just shooting him. Splatter guys jumping around/away and otherwise unaware.

user_nat said:
How can you be so terrible? Seriously.
2vwtzpf.png

I ask myself that everyday. Who are these kids that are so terrible? Why are they still playing? How is their "TRUESKILL" MM yet you get matched with these kids?

Someone is fucking lieing somewhere along the line.

I dare you Bungie let us see our "trueskill" just for one day.

JMizzlin

Entered TS with a buddy and got matched up against a team of four, consisting of 3 legit Lt. Colonel Grade 3's.

Thanks, Bungie.

zlatko

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
I ask myself that everyday. Who are these kids that are so terrible? Why are they still playing? How is their "TRUESKILL" MM yet you get matched with these kids?

Someone is fucking lieing somewhere along the line.

I dare you Bungie let us see our "trueskill" just for one day.

I wish I could put up everyday I've played and especially the time I spend in arena to make you all feel my pain of shitty team mates. It happens about 2-3/5 games RIGHT away a team mate on my team quits. The remainder bury themselves in -12's area, and I'm the only one who scrapes positives. You can't talk to these jack asses because they A) Don't put their headsets in B) Are in a party chat with random people C) Just don't use their headset for useful things like calling out enemies or telling others where power weapons were dropped on death, etc.

Game in game out I find myself being the backbone of my team, but of course I have my off days/games where I'll be the stinker for a few. :(

Also to the Armor Lock topic above in some posts. I fully fucking agree, and the main issue I have with armor lock is that almost everyone uses it now and ignores the others. The worst map to incite this is Arena Zealot which turns into a 4on4 locking crap fest as people chuck nades at each other non stop down the halls. It's pure shit to play the game when it digresses to a full team of 4 armor locking against you. It brings the game to a crawl, it gets you killed so much, and your only option is to get your whole team to lock back otherwise you will not win.

Armor lock needs to get something about it toned down, because when you see it multiplied by 4 is when you really see how over powered it is compared to the other abilities. Lock saves you from melee's/swords/hammers, if you are about to lose a fire fight or someone gets the jump on you behind you lock to save yourself, vehicle about to run you over lock yourself, grenades being chucked at your feet lock yourself, dmr battle just started at 5 foot range screw it run at him chest level, lock in front of him so he wastes a melee unlock and punch then lock up and punch again, etc.

None of the other armor abilities are this robust and offer you this many options. I suggested 5 different ideas on the bungie.net forums, and I'll post them here to see what Gaf thinks. Any one of these or maybe a combination of some could really just even it out more.

1) Plasma Pistol fully charged shot could bring someone out of lock and make them have to wait for cool down.

2) Assassinations do work on someone armor locking.

3) Swords/hammers still work on lockers, but take 2 swings if they don't have shields and 3 swings if they locked with any shields left.

4) If they lock with no shields, then every 4 bullets of DMR should do 1 chunk of health. (More bullets for say a needler)

5) Replace armor lock with evade on more game types/maps.

Any of these could really solve this issue, because it isn't a major problem when you do a 1v1 against a locker on a team, but when their team gets 2 lockers, 3 lockers, or all 4 lock, then you really see how freaking game breaking that ability is.

OMG Aero said:
So is it possible to get the elite firefight challenge in score attack? Before today the only modes of score attack I played was Gruntpocalypse and just now I tried the generator defence mode and that had brutes instead of elites.

Easiest in Sniper Attack.

Striker

OMG Aero said:
Pick Regular FireFight, Rocketfight, or Sniperfight. Those would be easier.

JB1981

ToyMachine228 said:

What you describe (and bemoan) is absolutely the best thing about Armor Lock, by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom