• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

zlatko said:
1) Plasma Pistol fully charged shot could bring someone out of lock and make them have to wait for cool down.

2) Assassinations do work on someone armor locking.

3) Swords/hammers still work on lockers, but take 2 swings if they don't have shields and 3 swings if they locked with any shields left.

4) If they lock with no shields, then every 4 bullets of DMR should do 1 chunk of health. (More bullets for say a needler)

So basically you want AL to utterly suck?

:lol

taylor910

A buddy of mine lost his entire single player progress and now cannot choose which level he wants to play. Even though he beat the game on legendary. It's like he never played the campaign.

Along with that he had his emblem, armor color, and call sign reset.

Anyone had a similar experience? I was baffled.

Louis Wu

Eye Drop said:
Entered TS with a buddy and got matched up against a team of four, consisting of 3 legit Lt. Colonel Grade 3's.

Thanks, Bungie.
"legit" - really?

You mean they've earned enough credits to be Lt. Colonel Grade 3? That means they've played a lot. It DOESN'T mean they're any better than you. :(

Had a horrible Armor Lock experience last night - Elite Slayer on Countdown. I figured I'd try Armor Lock, even though I usually don't, because someone said it was a great way to avoid grenade sticks.

Kept getting out-AL'd. :( I'd stick a guy, he'd lock, then his buddies would kill me when I came out of lock - my team was never around. When I started hanging around my teammates so that wouldn't happen, I'd die even faster; two of the guys on my team were AWFUL at timing locks, and would use my lock as "well, he's invulnerable, so we'll toss grenades at his feet and kill the baddies all around him" - but toss 'em just as my lock was expiring. :( Happened like 4 times. (Never got the betrayal, either, because I was in lock in the first place because the other team had put serious shots on me.)

I'm just not good enough at it to go up against someone who is. Better (for me) to pick other AAs and stay out of AL's way.

Numpt3

JB1981 said:
What you describe (and bemoan) is absolutely the best thing about Armor Lock, by far.

Damn right it is. I had someone in a ghost drive past me, turn around and then take a run up at me and kill themselves the other day.. after they had watched me go into armour lock. :lol

Sanjuro

I think they should just do a full Slayer Pro option for those who don't like the abilities. The more gametype playlists the merrier.

Shake Appeal said:
Armour Lock is probably the most consistently funny AA to use and abuse, especially with a friend.

This is so true. I love using it on a select few maps mainly cos of 'nade spam, but AL'ing a sword guy then popping out for the melee to kill him off is too funny!

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
"legit" - really?

You mean they've earned enough credits to be Lt. Colonel Grade 3? That means they've played a lot. It DOESN'T mean they're any better than you. :(
Was going to say. I'm a Captain now, but that doesn't mean I'm very good at multiplayer.

Mr. Sam

GhaleonEB said:
Was going to say. I'm a Captain now, but that doesn't mean I'm very good at multiplayer.

I'm at (wait for it) MAX LEVEL and I'm - at best - slightly above average at multiplayer. In fact, I somehow play worse when in a group of friends. Odd that.

Raide

zlatko said:
I said ONE of these to be added. Take a pick. If all of them added then it would ruin it entirely. Learn to read. :)

Apart from your last suggestion, any one of those basically makes ALing pretty pointless. Just do your last choice and just take it out of certain playlists, kinda like Drop Shield has been...um...dropped. :lol

I do think AL is one of the more powerful AA's, based upon your situation. Unlike the other AA's, once you AL you cannot fight back. Smart players just factor this into their battles. People should know the grenade timing for AL now, they should also know not to run up to them and try to beat them down.

Chorazin

I have never died due to someone Armor Locking that wasn't my own stupid fault. I don't get any of the complaints about it, I love using it more and more as I play. ESPECIALLY during my favorite game type, Elite Slayer. :D

zlatko

Banned
Chorazin said:
I have never died due to someone Armor Locking that wasn't my own stupid fault. I don't get any of the complaints about it, I love using it more and more as I play. ESPECIALLY during my favorite game type, Elite Slayer. :D

This is why you don't see the complaints---you are part of the problem. :lol

I'm surprised more people on Gaf haven't played Arena Zealot now that you can't zero gravity camp. I haven't had a game of it yet where it isn't all armor lockers against me chucking nades the entire game.

Also, the idea I personally like the most out of my 5 is the Plasma Pistol one. It puts more of an emphasis to go pick the damn thing up IF the entire other team IS doing locking. It's to directly counter just that. Hell if people wanted to make it more fair I guess they could set it up so a fully Plasma Pistol shot resets the cool down timer for ALL armor abilities and not just armor lock.

I don't think any of the choices though on their own would cripple armor lock though. I tend to use Holograms and sprint myself since I go for sword/hammer/shotty spawns. I love scaring people with a sword holding hologram or quickly running to flank 2 guys who start a fire fight with a team mate.

Maybe they could lessen how long armor lock lasts as another option? Or maybe not let you lock more than once? The double/triple lock really fast thing is a pain in the ass.

feel

jizzlobber said:
armour lock needs to be nerfed.
If all the other AAs get nerfed too, then sure. Every AA is annoying to the people who just got owned by their use, people need to stop complaining about the armor abilities they don't utilize, and no, using sprint only doesn't make you any better or more legit than the others you douche (not aimed at you jizzlobber, just in general at the community).

StUnNeR H2K

Helzown said:
Holy fuck the novelty on Rocket Race wore off FUCKING quick.

Didn't wear off on me... the other night I played a little and it was a blast. Rocketrace isn't anything to brag about in the skill department, but it's a nice break from slayer/killing.

Oh and kids ragging over rocket race getting picked in pre-game lobby is a blast too...

Buckethead said:
I got 28 kills, guy on my team got 2 with a -19 ratio.

WOW.
It wasn't me, I swear.

And I'm all for ditching the loadouts for AA pickups, I actually think MLG has the right idea. The old powerups are pretty much useless now with the standard AA loadouts, at least this way it could make for some more interesting scenarios.

zlatko said:
I'm surprised more people on Gaf haven't played Arena Zealot now that you can't zero gravity camp. I haven't had a game of it yet where it isn't all armor lockers against me chucking nades the entire game.
I play quite a bit of Arena, and I don't find Zealot to be any 'worse' for Armor Locking than any other map. If teams of Armor Lockers are schooling you, it usually means you are too eager/desperate to get the kill you feel you 'deserve', and that your team isn't coordinating properly, whereas theirs is.

I've been on the receiving end of AL plenty of times, and more often than not I come out of it shaking my head at myself for something I could or should have done, rather than at the 'cheapness' of it as a tactic. There are so many other things that are lamer than Armor Lock.

Pennybags

taylor910 said:
A buddy of mine lost his entire single player progress and now cannot choose which level he wants to play. Even though he beat the game on legendary. It's like he never played the campaign.

Along with that he had his emblem, armor color, and call sign reset.

Anyone had a similar experience? I was baffled.

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. No clue.

Question for 3D modelling HaloGaf. I want to try make some object/character from the Halo universe in Blender. How might I find some good front/side views to use as references?

The ability is fine. I personally don't like the fact that I can't move when I go into it, that it is so short and that it doesn't shoot my gun in a circular motion with homing bullets that get headshots everytime.

Best way to beat armour lock? Armour lock. If you have one guy who goes into it, try going into it right next to him. He has to come out of it sometime and when he does, you can simply deactivate yours and get an easy kill. He can't fall back on his AL (he's probably used it all) and you've knocked his shields off. Melee. Thwack. Dead. Problem solved.

If you don't have armour lock - for god sakes pull out! You can see the animation
activating so you have no excuse for hanging around. After that it's a free lunch, provided that you've got some grenades or something.

As for a group of 4 guys.. Why on earth are you running into a group of them? :lol

I sincerely doubt that the majority of MM players have the timing of a synchronised swim team. They're either playing with randoms, and if they're not there's still latency issues to throw around. They're either all going into it, or maybe one or two. In any case a whole team of armour locks takes a few grenades. If a one or two go into it, maybe you should communicate with your team to concentrate on putting grenades down range whilst you fire at active players. Guns + grenades down range from two guys, and then when you're reloading, or whatever ,you watch the previous grenadiers' backs.

Gimping armour lock is just a stupid idea. You're just going to end up bitching about something else if it does get fixed anyway (sword sprints, jetpack camps etc). IMO the best thing to do - seeing as we're meant to be playing a team game - would be to limit abilities like TF2 does. Gimp the team when it gets silly, don't ruin the armour ability when it's perfectly balanced when it's 1v1.

It's probably just a phase anyway. Next week everyone will be using some other ability..

NullPointer said:
Gotta admit, Armor lock is starting to get on my nerves. Not when its one player mind you, but when most or all of a team is using it, it just leads to consistent cock-blocking of all of your kill attempts.

When I first heard about armor abilities I thought they would be placed around the map as pickups, and I'm starting to think that may be the way to go. Give some base loadouts, with other abilities placed as power ups across the map. That way you'll still run into armor lock payers, and camo players etc., but not a full team of either.

I know that proper AL use requires skill and timing, but the end result is a pause in the game. And you either move on and let your almost-kill survive to see another day, or you linger about waiting, open to attack from their teammates. And say you manage to overcome their backup, its a kick in the balls to have THAT player now armor lock on you while the original guy gets up and takes you down.

Maybe I just have to adapt and overcome but damn is it annoying and deviously effective in all the wrong ways.

I have to agree. Im not sure who thought of Armour Lock, and im not too sure why they thought it would be fun, but as far as im concerned its like the most annoying thing ever.

I dont really mind if I miss out on a kill here and there in general matchmaking but in the Arena all that armour lock serves to do (Most of the time) is make me miss out on a kill. Generally I will weaken someone, he will armour lock, and a teammate will arrive in time to kill him screwing me out of a kill. :( There are a few different circumstances like this, but the end result is that armour lock is just a really cheap way of dieing to someone else that didnt weaken you. Its like a massive "fuck you" to the guy who outplayed you.

Sure this isnt always the case, but it seems like 90% of the time I see it used - its just used to screw me out of my kill. :lol

EDIT: If I could change armour lock, I would make it so that you could only 'pulse' it. In that it only lasts like a second. People who can block a killing blow with effective use of armour lock are impressive in my opinion. But people who just sit in armour lock screwing you out of a kill/ assist are doing nothing but pause the game.

aesop

So, I had an interesting thing happen to me last night. I run up behind a guy for the assassination, hold down the melée button, and boom we're both dead and I hear 'suicide.' WTF? I check the lower corner of the screen and see that I'm credited with the assassination. There was no animation, I was dead as soon as I pressed the button.

This happened to anyone else?

feel

aesop said:
So, I had an interesting thing happen to me last night. I run up behind a guy for the assassination, hold down the melée button, and boom we're both dead and I hear 'suicide.' WTF? I check the lower corner of the screen and see that I'm credited with the assassination. There was no animation, I was dead as soon as I pressed the button.

Happened to a friend of mine too a couple of days ago.

ToyMachine228 said:
The worst thing about armor lock in my opinion is when it blows up your vehicle when trying to splatter someone. It should definitely be able to cause me to flip over and roll, but kill? The BTB playlist can be very irritating as it's one of the playlists I play when I want vehicle combat but everyone just uses armor lock and the vehicles all become moot because they're all destroyed by people armor locking.

To be fair I kind of think thats good use of Armour Lock. It sucks when everyone does it, but it also sucks when everyone is just going for vehicle splatters aswell. :lol

Numpt3

MarshMellow96 said:
Best way to beat armour lock? Armour lock. If you have one guy who goes into it, try going into it right next to him. He has to come out of it sometime and when he does, you can simply deactivate yours and get an easy kill. He can't fall back on his AL (he's probably used it all) and you've knocked his shields off. Melee. Thwack. Dead. Problem solved.

That is a rather good idea. :lol

Yeah, running up to an AL and locking beside them so you can EMP them when they're finished is yet another way that AL is hilarious and awesome. People rage so hard when you do that.

Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, running up to an AL and locking beside them so you can EMP them when they're finished is yet another way that AL is hilarious and awesome. People rage so hard when you do that.
The EMP only discharges when you use it fully, correct?

witness

Hit Major just a bit ago, I wish more Lt. Col. gear would have popped up so I could plan out my purchases. All I bought at Major was the wrist computer, so I have a good amount still left.

zlatko

Banned
MarshMellow96 said:
The ability is fine. I personally don't like the fact that I can't move when I go into it, that it is so short and that it doesn't shoot my gun in a circular motion with homing bullets that get headshots everytime.

If you don't have armour lock - for god sakes pull out! You can see the animation
activating so you have no excuse for hanging around. After that it's a free lunch, provided that you've got some grenades or something.

As for a group of 4 guys.. Why on earth are you running into a group of them? :lol

I sincerely doubt that the majority of MM players have the timing of a synchronised swim team. They're either playing with randoms, and if they're not there's still latency issues to throw around. They're either all going into it, or maybe one or two. In any case a whole team of armour locks takes a few grenades. If a one or two go into it, maybe you should communicate with your team to concentrate on putting grenades down range whilst you fire at active players. Guns + grenades down range from two guys, and then when you're reloading, or whatever ,you watch the previous grenadiers' backs.

Gimping armour lock is just a stupid idea. You're just going to end up bitching about something else if it does get fixed anyway (sword sprints, jetpack camps etc). IMO the best thing to do - seeing as we're meant to be playing a team game - would be to limit abilities like TF2 does. Gimp the team when it gets silly, don't ruin the armour ability when it's perfectly balanced when it's 1v1.

It's probably just a phase anyway. Next week everyone will be using some other ability..

Arena Zealot is not a map where I opt to RUN at a team of armor lockers. You don't have to move very far from a spawn TO run into their whole team. Whenever I spawn anywhere on a map I do 1 of 2 things. A) Go to a power weapon spawn I know is about to pop/has a weapon B) Run to join up with team mates so we can hose people down.

I even typed earlier that more often than not I am the ONLY person going positive on my teams day in day out with a few which isn't the case. I always have my headset on and am ready to talk, but that is NOT the case with 90% of the Xbox Live community.

Your theories and shit only work in a perfect world where rainbows exist man. I'm talking about the game as it is. I am NOT playing on the regular with friends who I can formulate a cohesive strategy with. It's strangers without headsets/in other chat parties/not saying anything useful at fuggin all. I have a tragic and long history in Arena where my team suffers a rage quit/connection loss almost right away and we have to do 3vs4.

I really do NOT think it's a phase either. As the game has come out more and more people keep gravitating to using armor lock. I would wager if Bungie told us what the most used armor abilities were #1 would be sprint and #2 would be armor lock.

Since this game has been out I have complained about these things:
1) Armor Lock
2) Auto aim when you jump goes up 9000% to give you headshots.
3) Too many of the maps are just crap compared to other Halo games' release maps.
4) Host advantage can be nightmareish.
5) Spawns on maps was made by a first grader.

I think those are my 5 biggest UGH things about this game. If these things got ironed out the game would be near perfect for me. I know I'm not having the same experience as everyone else, but this is the crap I deal with when the disc is in my 360.

Taking a look though just through the past few comments about the Alock issue it seems the people thinking it's fine are either A) Lockers themselves or B) Too unwilling to even fathom something could be wrong in their Halo game...or hell C) Just don't play the game enough to experience it first hand.

witness said:
Hit Major just a bit ago, I wish more Lt. Col. gear would have popped up so I could plan out my purchases. All I bought at Major was the wrist computer, so I have a good amount still left.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. You can look up that stuff online though. I definately want to buy the breacher collar with the robot arm, I think in total it'll be about 80K cR.

StUnNeR H2K

aesop said:

Did you cut yourself?

aesop said:

Happened to Dani, I believe. I think it's a known bug.

panda21

i dont understand the whole armour lock is lame because you can use it to get out of dying - isnt the bubble shield the exact same thing in a lot of cases? hell you could say the evade is as well. plus unless you get lucky, trying to use it that way doesnt work.

i think its really useful in the flag defence/attack games where you get a lot of vehicle spam and helps even it out a bit. like even if theres a wraith and ghosts and a warthog running wild around your base you still have a chance of surviving and at least fucking shit up for them a bit

plus knowing how much it pisses some of you off is kind of fun

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
thinking armor lock is awesome all the time can fast get frustrating as well. I love it when you use it correctly to protect yourself and your teammates just piss off somewhere while an enemy dude stands there looking at you. WTF GUYZ

TommyT

zlatko said:
a lot of text...

Since this game has been out I have complained about these things:
1) Armor Lock
2) Auto aim when you jump goes up 9000% to give you headshots.
3) Too many of the maps are just crap compared to other Halo games' release maps.
4) Host advantage can be nightmareish.
5) Spawns on maps was made by a first grader.

...not as much text.

Oh really?

AA raging always makes me laugh, I had a guy on my team who pretty much went NUTS everytime he died, and proceeded to bitch about he AA/weapon.

WHAT THE FUCK YOU PIECE OF SHIT? SHOTGUN AND SPRINT
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH JETPACK, WHAT A ***, FUCK YOU.
Ohh ARMOUR LOCK YOU ARE SO COOL, FUCK YOU.

I just laughed at him the whole game. :lol

panda21 said:
i dont understand the whole armour lock is lame because you can use it to get out of dying - isnt the bubble shield the exact same thing in a lot of cases? hell you could say the evade is as well. plus unless you get lucky, trying to use it that way doesnt work.

i think its really useful in the flag defence/attack games where you get a lot of vehicle spam and helps even it out a bit. like even if theres a wraith and ghosts and a warthog running wild around your base you still have a chance of surviving and at least fucking shit up for them a bit

plus knowing how much it pisses some of you off is kind of fun

For me the difference is that Armour lock actually makes you invulnerable, the Halo 3 bubble shield was a one use only thing, and I could still go in and kill the dude. Evade isnt anything near armour locking as I can shoot the dude while hes rolling.

The Reach bubble shield might get annoying, but I havent even seen it much. :(

I also wanted to say that I played one of the biggest idiots ever yesterday. I went into Invasion with friends, and the enemy team dropped to like 2 players REALLY quickly. So instead of just spawnkilling the 2 guys I decided to go sort something out and went AFK.

After the game one of them sent me a message telling me how much I suck for going negative against 2 guys. The sound of his voice and what he said was hilarious. He was literally raging over the fact that I must suck so hard. I sent him a message back telling him to watch the video from my perspective. I hope he actually does. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom