• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is it just me or does the Master Chief voice not sound like the Chief at all? It seems so weird with him calling out all these things that are out of his "silent protagonist" kind of character.

Seems very off with me, probably won't buy it.

Red

Spaceman Spiff said:
Thanks. I'll get there... eventually.
You and me both.

Can't wait for my Mk V. Don't know if I'll use Chief's voice, though. Still loving Auntie Dot's.

I still don't know who Sgt. Stacker is :lol
enzo_gt said:
Is it just me or does the Master Chief voice not sound like the Chief at all? It seems so weird with him calling out all these things that are out of his "silent protagonist" kind of character.

Sounds just like him to me. He's been chatty enough in cutscenes, even if he doesn't normally talk in-game.

Oozer3993

squidhands said:
Just going by the last level of the campaign I'll never ever ever get Emile's voice. The actor definitely had some of the worst line deliveries of the group, with Jun coming in at a close second. The IWHBYD skull hasn't really been that rewarding this time around. Maybe it's because of the more somber tone of the game, but I was expecting more funny stuff.

I heard a great line during my Legendary play through with IWHBYD on:

"It's like shooting womp rats back home."

It came up a couple times.

USF said:

Got the Bulltrue avatar award
This is so awesome :lol

I earned it the first day I played matchmaking - but I can't bring myself to equip a Spartan helmet without the armor to go along with it. :lol

Captain Blood said:
Yup tell me about it. I refuse to dip below 130,000 credits just so that when I do finally hit Lt. Colonel I can immediately become "The Chief".

I'm not spending any credits either until I get the Mk. V. Once I do, I'm immediately playing Legendary Firefight on Corvette to recreate the epic T&R Hangar fights. :D

Oozer3993 said:
I heard a great line during my Legendary play through with IWHBYD on:

"It's like shooting womp rats back home."

It came up a couple times.
Yeah, I heard that one too without the skulls on my first playthrough. :lol

There are a couple of funny lines, I just hoped there would be more with the skull on. I'll probably catch more as I play more campaign.

Trasher

Alright, so I'm a bit confused. Apparently people have reported seeing Lt. Col grade 3's wearing Kat's arm. Last night Thermight (who is a Lt. Col) said the Kat arm was nowhere to bee seen in his armory. So Kat's arm unlocks at a Grade rank? Nothing else has unlocked for me so far unless I've hit a full rank (aka Warrant Officer, Captain, Major, etc).

Hugbot

Trasher said:
Alright, so I'm a bit confused. Apparently people have reported seeing Lt. Col grade 3's wearing Kat's arm. Last night Thermight (who is a Lt. Col) said the Kat arm was nowhere to bee seen in his armory. So Kat's arm unlocks at a Grade rank? Nothing else has unlocked for me so far unless I've hit a full rank (aka Warrant Officer, Captain, Major, etc).
It may be that specific tasks/achievements are required to see certain pieces of armor? They may have said something to directly contradict this, it's just speculation.

Chorazin

Trasher said:

Maybe it's an unlockable from an in-game event and no one put two and two together?

Trasher

Hugbot said:
It may be that specific tasks/achievements are required to see certain pieces of armor? They may have said something to directly contradict this, it's just speculation.
What do you mean certain tasks/achievements? I'm pretty sure everything unlocks based on ranks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Crunched said:
Sounds just like him to me. He's been chatty enough in cutscenes, even if he doesn't normally talk in-game.
Yeah it's just weird hearing "reloading" and "reloading, cover me" from the big man. Still weird to me, his voice sounds deeper than usual (somehow?) or raspier too. Maybe its just the video quality.

Red

Trasher said:
I think it's an extension of a chest piece. He probably doesn't have the prereqs for it to appear.

ManCannon

this just in: current targeted release date for Oct. playlist update is next Tuesday (pending final test pass, etc..). Only one more weekend of enduring SWAT!!! :D (Snipers is NOT getting its own playlist - not for now at least - but it will be weighted MUCH lower so you'll see it/vote on it a lot less)

Rumble Pit isn't being addressed in this update, it's being worked on for the next one - stuff like Infection, Race, etc.. being moved into either dedicated playlists or weekend playlists pending demand and population - but we need people to make more Race and Infection maps! Get to it!

Also note: Season 2 of the Arena (the first 'full' real season) will not feature a change to the radar/no-radar option. It's likely to be introduced as a voting option for Season 3 and then that data could dictate the standard setup for Season 4.

Hugbot

Trasher said:
What do you mean certain tasks/achievements? I'm pretty sure everything unlocks based on ranks.
Beating the game on legendary, getting specific commendations/medals, things you can do in-game that aren't just your rank.

Edit: Maybe he just didn't buy the pre-reqs. Just trying to figure out why he couldn't see it.

ManCannon said:
this just in: current targeted release date for Oct. playlist update is next Tuesday (pending final test pass, etc..). Only one more weekend of enduring SWAT!!! :D (Snipers is NOT getting its own playlist - not for now at least - but it will be weighted MUCH lower so you'll see it/vote on it a lot less)

Rumble Pit isn't being addressed in this update, it's being worked on for the next one - stuff like Infection, Race, etc.. being moved into either dedicated playlists or weekend playlists pending demand and population - but we need people to make more Race and Infection maps! Get to it!

Also note: Season 2 of the Arena (the first 'full' real season) will not feature a change to the radar/no-radar option. It's likely to be introduced as a voting option for Season 3 and then that data could dictate the standard setup for Season 4.
Thanks, man. Good news all around.

ManCannon said:
Will we be getting a final list of changes before the actual update?

Trasher

Hugbot said:
Beating the game on legendary, getting specific commendations/medals, things you can do in-game that aren't just your rank.

Edit: Maybe he just didn't buy the pre-reqs. Just trying to figure out why he couldn't see it.
Ya maybe. Anyone here know what chest piece it would be with? That seems like the most logical explanation.

Edit: Found it! You have to buy the Collar/Breacher chest. It's an add-on for that.

Azar

ManCannon said:
If a dedicated Rocket Race hopper appears, I might cry tears of joy. When it went away in Halo 3, my playtime plummeted immensely. :lol I love Rocket Race :(

ManCannon said:
I doubt you would accept the Spenser mansion in forge, right? :p

Zombies on Boat, do it!

ManCannon said:
this just in: current targeted release date for Oct. playlist update is next Tuesday (pending final test pass, etc..). Only one more weekend of enduring SWAT!!! :D
Thank Goodness. I've posted in this thread 5 or 6 times. I bitched about SWAT everytime I think. This makes me :D

Tadale

ManCannon said:

Any word on more forge maps getting in to Team Slayer and the Arena Playlists? I'd really like to see stuff like that Wizard remake in the hopper, as long as they're sufficiently play tested. I think there's a lot of potential here to really keep the playlists fresh, but I know it's a lot of work.

Oozer3993

ManCannon said:

So let me get this straight: on the 5th, not only will I be getting new songs from Taylor and Kanye, but also a playlist update to Reach that excises SWAT from Team Slayer? Best. Day. Ever. :D

REV 09

enzo_gt said:

Cortana is worse. i thought she would be talking to me in 3rd person, but it's like you're playing as Cortana. Her voice says stuff like "Reloading" "Cover Me" etc.... : \

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok.. so I have 6 days of sets in Team Arena.
I should be rated right?

I went to Bungie.net when I woke up this morning and clicked on the Arena thing and I had a little silver medal thing next to my name. But now that I've booted up the game to play, it's gone! It's gone from the website too.

cwmartin

Oozer3993 said:
So let me get this straight: on the 5th, not only will I be getting new songs from Taylor and Kanye, but also a playlist update to Reach that excises SWAT from Team Slayer? Best. Day. Ever. :D

Thats like 1/3rd of a perfect day and 2/3 of the worst day ever! PSYCHED!

Oozer3993

Jtwo said:
Ok.. so I have 6 days of sets in Team Arena.
I should be rated right?

I went to Bungie.net when I woke up this morning and clicked on the Arena thing and I had a little silver medal thing next to my name. But now that I've booted up the game to play, it's gone! It's gone from the website too.

You need 7 to be rated for Season 1.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. I SWEAR I saw that little medal thing next to my name this morning though.
Oh well, I'll get my games in in a bit.

Also, I'm interested in some Customs later on. Don't have anything to do today.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Is the Spree challenge just based on medals? So If I get a killing spree then a killig frenzy, does that count as two of my seven?

Magni

ManCannon said:

Thanks for the update. Any reason why we have to endure one more season of radar instead of having the voting option be present to dictate the standard setup for Season 3?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
ManCannon said:

I'm sorry, but this is Bungie's job.

Tadale said:
Any word on more forge maps getting in to Team Slayer and the Arena Playlists? I'd really like to see stuff like that Wizard remake in the hopper, as long as they're sufficiently play tested. I think there's a lot of potential here to really keep the playlists fresh, but I know it's a lot of work.
That's the key right there. It should be a long and arduous vetting process, with lots of feedback to the author once it's been potentially selected. One of the major problems with Shishka's Atlas group in H3 was the relative lack of any feedback from Bungie whose opinions matters most. Hopefully lessons were learned and the forge vetting process won't be relegated to just one or two people.

GDJustin said:
I'm sorry, but this is Bungie's job.
wat? You DO know about the whole Forge thing, don't you?

ManCannon

Azar said:
If a dedicated Rocket Race hopper appears, I might cry tears of joy. When it went away in Halo 3, my playtime plummeted immensely. :lol I love Rocket Race :(

For the time being, Rocket Race will always be the 3rd voting option in Multi-Team. The plan is to move it to a dedicated playlist or weekend playlist once we see how it fares and get more maps created.

Hey guys, I've been out a lot recently - busy busy at work with conferences. Being out of town is bad for updating my HaloGAF.

OT2 is cool

Playlist updates look full of win, though I would LOVE to see a Team Snipers playlist soon - it literally was the entire reason I fell in love with Halo 2 online play.

-Campaign on solo was surprisingly fun - especially for me being a co-op only guy. I'll probably write a review, but we'll see.

-Halsey's journal was amazing. She felt like a real person. I feel so bad for disliking Miranda Keyes in H3 though, holy crap. More than ever do I see her father's influence and a lot of
Catherine in her daughter
as well. The way Halsey talked about John-117 was... inspiring and emotional. I wonder who penned Halsey's journal? Frankie? 9/10 in my book.

I give it a 9/10 because I would have loved to see 1 thing:

A response letter from Miranda to her mother hidden away in the random letters in the back fold. A letter of closure and at least some love to her mother. An acknowledgment that the 3 of them were important for something greater than just a normal family.
That would have me it feel complete IMO, and
Miranda's death at the end of Halo 3 would have felt at least a little bit of closure. It was cool to realize how important her military career was in the light of being Catherine's daughter

NH Apache

Banned
So today I have dived into Firefight matchmaking for the first time. I wasn't a huge fan of ODST Firefight (mainly because I didn't have peeps to play with) but holy crap I am having fun.

The points are nice too.

Chorazin

ManCannon said:
this just in: current targeted release date for Oct. playlist update is next Tuesday

AWWWWW YEAH! I have next Wednesday off so I can play SWAT free Team Slayer the whole day! WOOHOO!!!

ManCannon said:
For the time being, Rocket Race will always be the 3rd voting option in Multi-Team. The plan is to move it to a dedicated playlist or weekend playlist once we see how it fares and get more maps created.
Are there any plans for user-created firefight modes in MM?

ManCannon

squidhands said:
That's the key right there. It should be a long and arduous vetting process, with lots of feedback to the author once it's been potentially selected. One of the major problems with Shishka's Atlas group in H3 was the relative lack of any feedback from Bungie whose opinions matters most. Hopefully lessons were learned and the forge vetting process won't be relegated to just one or two people.

wat? You DO know about the whole Forge thing, don't you?

Initially we will be relying on some of the more prominent and active groups to vet their own content created within their respective community and bubble up only the maps that they feel warrant their 'seal of approval'. ForgeGAF is one such group.

We're getting the process and infrastructure fleshed out now. There won't be any fan-made maps added in October but hopefully we have enough good content to kick off a Forge World community playlist for November. Think of this as the successor to the "Bungie vs. the World" type playlist that becomes the initial proving ground and first stop for maps before they potentially migrate into the greater matchmaking playlists. Of course there will be exceptions but this is the general model we want to initially follow.

We'll never have the bandwidth or resources to do back-and-forth reviews with user-created maps at an acceptable volume. We have to rely on the more seasoned and experienced community groups to do a lot of the heavy lifting for us and we need to help educate Forgers and share guidelines and info to maximize the odds of people making maps that meet the matchmaking quality bar. Starting with a more 'wild west' style community hopper does imply a little more tolerance for maps that still need some refinement but also still lets players scratch that itch and be involved in helping to shape the future of matchmaking. Voting data is one way we can decide which maps move out of the minors and into the majors and which ones need another round of training camp.

ManCannon

Hypertrooper said:
Are there any plans for user-created firefight modes in MM?

Not for October but sure, it's possible down the road if something awesome (and appropriate) is created and brought to Lars' attention. He already has some cool plans to beef up FF with the November update by adding more playlists and more options (Unlimited? yes! Legendary? Yes!, etc..)

I did hear that friendly fire is being turned off in Firefight next week though.. and regular FF will be extended so games can last longer.

Oozer3993

Major Williams said:
Hey guys, I've been out a lot recently - busy busy at work with conferences. Being out of town is bad for updating my HaloGAF.

OT2 is cool

Playlist updates look full of win, though I would LOVE to see a Team Snipers playlist soon - it literally was the entire reason I fell in love with Halo 2 online play.

-Campaign on solo was surprisingly fun - especially for me being a co-op only guy. I'll probably write a review, but we'll see.

-Halsey's journal was amazing. She felt like a real person. I feel so bad for disliking Miranda Keyes in H3 though, holy crap. More than ever do I see her father's influence and a lot of
Catherine in her daughter
as well. The way Halsey talked about John-117 was... inspiring and emotional. I wonder who penned Halsey's journal? Frankie? 9/10 in my book.

I give it a 9/10 because I would have loved to see 1 thing:

A response letter from Miranda to her mother hidden away in the random letters in the back fold. A letter of closure and at least some love to her mother. An acknowledgment that the 3 of them were important for something greater than just a normal family.
That would have me it feel complete IMO, and
Miranda's death at the end of Halo 3 would have felt at least a little bit of closure. It was cool to realize how important her military career was in the light of being Catherine's daughter

Eric Nylund wrote the journal. I really hope we get another novel from him set in the Halo universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom