• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hydranockz said:
:lol :lol

Underestimating the community much?

squidhands said:
wat? You DO know about the whole Forge thing, don't you?

I don't play Rumble Pit anymore because it is infection infection infection race race infection. What we're hearing from Bungie is that these could be moved to their own gametype TODAY, but the game didn't ship with enough maps to support that.

There is a very big difference between just giving the community powerful creation tools, and using those tools as an excuse to not ship a game with the map support it should have shipped with.

I have complete faith in the community of mapmakers. In fact I have downloaded 23 custom map variants. How many have you downloaded? You can check on bungie.net. But these maps aren't a SUBSTITUTE for maps created by Bungie.

It just makes me uneasy that Reach launched with the fewest MP maps of any Halo game, and now a couple weeks out from launch they state that they are waiting on the community to provide the map support they need to separate out playlists...

GhaleonEB

ManCannon said:
Not for October but sure, it's possible down the road if something awesome (and appropriate) is created and brought to Lars' attention. He already has some cool plans to beef up FF with the November update by adding more playlists and more options (Unlimited? yes! Legendary? Yes!, etc..)

I did hear that friendly fire is being turned off in Firefight next week though.. and regular FF will be extended so games can last longer.
My life, just take it now. Going, going...

I wonder: with friendly fire turned off, will life limits be put in place? That adds a level of tension to the combat that's lacking with infinite lives. Both are solid anti-griefing measures but I'd love to see life resources be scarce now that they can't be taken by my (find, upstanding) squad mates.

ManCannon, would you accept maps that are made solely for Infection/Race, or do they have to be flexible enough to fit other gametypes?

Also, for anyone who cares, I updated Sanguine to V1.1. Moved every single last rock in the 'rocks' area individually to create cover and sight lines. Main objective was forcing snipers to move along their respective ridges and potentially into danger if they want sight of the other team's teleporter or across the middle. And enemy teles are not visible from your home base; in fact, your home base gives you comparatively little to shoot at now. Also corrected the number of Rockets in the middle (1 Spare Clip instead of 2) and tweaked some geometry.

I also made sure it still works with Race and Rally. Turns out more obstacles mean it works better than before.

Dmorr07 said:
Good to hear the update is coming soon.

'Kat's arm' is an extension to a couple of different chests. He has to buy the chest first then he can see the option under that chest just like a helmet. Halopedia has a pic showing off a lot of, if not all the unlockable armor peices rights now which shows the chest peices with robotic arms.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100918222637/halo/images/e/e5/SBgJn.jpg

Wohoo! Emile's helmet is accessible after all :) Wonder what the deal with that "Haunted" helmet is. Looks like Bungie employee helmets and it's faded so probably not accessible to us.

NH Apache

Banned
ManCannon said:
Not for October but sure, it's possible down the road if something awesome (and appropriate) is created and brought to Lars' attention. He already has some cool plans to beef up FF with the November update by adding more playlists and more options (Unlimited? yes! Legendary? Yes!, etc..)

I did hear that friendly fire is being turned off in Firefight next week though.. and regular FF will be extended so games can last longer.

FF off would be awesome because more than once I've been booted by accidental betrayal. I'm looking at you rocketfight.

th3dude

So funny seeing everyone hating on swat and praising it's removal from team slayer. While I also praise, I praise because now I can play dedicated swat!

Haters gonna hate

:lol :D

But really I do see how annoying it can be in team slayer and it just doesn't fit. It warranted it's own playlist in halo 3 for a reason.

Zel3

ManCannon said:
Rumble Pit isn't being addressed in this update, it's being worked on for the next one - stuff like Infection, Race, etc.. being moved into either dedicated playlists or weekend playlists pending demand and population - but we need people to make more Race and Infection maps! Get to it!

Great news! :D

ElRenoRaven

Sai-kun said:

Wow already? Hell look at all of his games. It's every game he plays.

ManCannon said:
this just in: current targeted release date for Oct. playlist update is next Tuesday (pending final test pass, etc..). Only one more weekend of enduring SWAT!!! :D (Snipers is NOT getting its own playlist - not for now at least - but it will be weighted MUCH lower so you'll see it/vote on it a lot less)

Rumble Pit isn't being addressed in this update, it's being worked on for the next one - stuff like Infection, Race, etc.. being moved into either dedicated playlists or weekend playlists pending demand and population - but we need people to make more Race and Infection maps! Get to it!

Also note: Season 2 of the Arena (the first 'full' real season) will not feature a change to the radar/no-radar option. It's likely to be introduced as a voting option for Season 3 and then that data could dictate the standard setup for Season 4.

AWESOME!!!

Those changes sound damn good. I'll be able to regularly play team slayer again. Also I'd kill to have a Race playlist. Race was always a blast in Halo and seeing the support it has feature wise in this game I can't wait to do some racing.

ManCannon

Shake Appeal said:
ManCannon, would you accept maps that are made solely for Infection/Race, or do they have to be flexible enough to fit other gametypes?

Also, for anyone who cares, I updated Sanguine to V1.1. Moved every single last rock in the 'rocks' area individually to create cover and sight lines. Main objective was forcing snipers to move along their respective ridges and potentially into danger if they want sight of the other team's teleporter or across the middle. And enemy teles are not visible from your home base; in fact, your home base gives you comparatively little to shoot at now. Also corrected the number of Rockets in the middle (1 Spare Clip instead of 2) and tweaked some geometry.

I also made sure it still works with Race and Rally. Turns out more obstacles mean it works better than before.

I think there's plenty of room for maps solely dedicated to these niche gametypes - I mean realistically, how many Race tracks would work for something else anyways? :) I'd rather see maps that are awesome for one or two specific gametypes than mediocre at four or five.

Who knows, I may even get crazy approval and support to do a formal Forge contest of some sorts with prizes for very specific categories (make a Race map, make an Invasion map, make a symmetrical small arena, etc..) I'm working on it.

NH Apache said:
FF off would be awesome because more than once I've been booted by accidental betrayal. I'm looking at you rocketfight.

I got booted from a Rocketfight match after the voice over congratulated us on our victory. Brutal. Can't wait to see that system get changed.

ManCannon said:
I think there's plenty of room for maps solely dedicated to these niche gametypes
I was only asking because I made a survival horror version of Blackout in Halo 3 and had a lot of fun with the idea. I don't really like playing Infection, but designing maps for it is a good time.

ManCannon said:
Initially we will be relying on some of the more prominent and active groups to vet their own content created within their respective community and bubble up only the maps that they feel warrant their 'seal of approval'. ForgeGAF is one such group.

We're getting the process and infrastructure fleshed out now. There won't be any fan-made maps added in October but hopefully we have enough good content to kick off a Forge World community playlist for November. Think of this as the successor to the "Bungie vs. the World" type playlist that becomes the initial proving ground and first stop for maps before they potentially migrate into the greater matchmaking playlists. Of course there will be exceptions but this is the general model we want to initially follow.

We'll never have the bandwidth or resources to do back-and-forth reviews with user-created maps at an acceptable volume. We have to rely on the more seasoned and experienced community groups to do a lot of the heavy lifting for us and we need to help educate Forgers and share guidelines and info to maximize the odds of people making maps that meet the matchmaking quality bar. Starting with a more 'wild west' style community hopper does imply a little more tolerance for maps that still need some refinement but also still lets players scratch that itch and be involved in helping to shape the future of matchmaking. Voting data is one way we can decide which maps move out of the minors and into the majors and which ones need another round of training camp.
Sounds great. A pretty thorough spawn guide for the standard modes (the Invasion one was excellent) would go an incredibly long way for forgers like myself. And the kind of Bungie feedback I was referring to was more along the lines of polishing tweaks once a map has made it past the "yeah this is good stuff" stage; the types of things that Bungie would like to see on their own maps . Maybe even a broader guideline might work, just something more than the relative silence from Atlas. Sounds like you guys have got it worked out this time, which is awesome news (my map's almost done, btw; testing phase now).

By the way, what the heck happened to Incompetent Cartographer? Are we to infer that urk's map didn't make the cut?

ManCannon said:
I think there's plenty of room for maps solely dedicated to these niche gametypes - I mean realistically, how many Race tracks would work for something else anyways? :) I'd rather see maps that are awesome for one or two specific gametypes than mediocre at four or five.

Who knows, I may even get crazy approval and support to do a formal Forge contest of some sorts with prizes for very specific categories (make a Race map, make an Invasion map, make a symmetrical small arena, etc..) I'm working on it.
You sure do know how to turn a fella on... :D

Chorazin

If you have an iPhone you can download the super nice Reach Stats app, all your Bungie.net info at your fingertips plus a list of all the day's Challenges. :)

Chorazin said:
If you have an iPhone you can download the super nice Reach Stats app, all your Bungie.net info at your fingertips plus a list of all the day's Challenges. :)

Free app? Too bad I can't bring my phone to work :( That's really cool that someone created it, however :)

Hugbot

SquallASF said:
Blocked from work which is why I was hoping someone could post it. Thanks though.
Shootin' and Lootin'
Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach. 1500cR

Survivor
Earn 7 Sprees in a Firefight Matchmaking game. 1200cR

Put Your Quarter Up
Complete 10 games in multiplayer Matchmaking. 1000cR

Close Talking
Earn 40 kills with close quarters combat in multiplayer Matchmaking. 600cR

*reads Mancannon's post*

Man, I'm going to have such a better time playing Reach than Halo 3. And Halo 3 was so much fun. Hot damn.

Edit: also, I should get started on my own Forge map. Hm...

ManCannon

squidhands said:
By the way, what the heck happened to Incompetent Cartographer? Are we to infer that urk's map didn't make the cut?

"Riptide" is still alive and kicking. It along with a few other pre-release internal creations are still on the back burner awaiting some playtesting and decision making once the October update is out the door.

Hugbot said:
Shootin' and Lootin'

Survivor

Put Your Quarter Up

Close Talking

Much obliged! Easy points today :) Suprised only 600 for 40 beat downs though. Man, there's going to be countless people sprint-punching all night.

ManCannon

Shake Appeal said:
Also, can we infer from this that there may be new Forge World maps coming that are, uh, not fan-made?

Hopefully, yes. We have at least two teed up pending final test passes and whatnot.

AnimatorZombie

Neo Member
ManCannon said:
"Riptide" is still alive and kicking. It along with a few other pre-release internal creations are still on the back burner awaiting some playtesting and decision making once the October update is out the door.

Any word on fixes for the lag many users are experiencing in FF and Co-op Campaign?

oatmeal

Banned
SquallASF said:
Blocked from work which is why I was hoping someone could post it. Thanks though.
Complete any Campaign mission on Legendary in co-op mode.

5d15h40m7s 2500cR

Daily Challenges:Find individual challenge progress:
Shootin' and Lootin'
Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

0d15h40m8s 1500cR

Survivor
Earn 7 Sprees in a Firefight Matchmaking game.

0d15h40m8s 1200cR

Put Your Quarter Up
Complete 10 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

0d15h40m8s 1000cR

Close Talking
Earn 40 kills with close quarters combat in multiplayer Matchmaking.

0d15h40m8s 600cR

Shoogoo

SquallASF said:

Oh ic. There you go

Shootin' and Lootin'
Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach.
1500cR

Survivor
Earn 7 Sprees in a Firefight Matchmaking game.
1200cR

Put Your Quarter Up
Complete 10 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.
1000cR

Close Talking
Earn 40 kills with close quarters combat in multiplayer Matchmaking.
600cR

edit: beaten

taylor910

Chorazin said:

You can also pull everything up on bungie.net, which is free.

SquallASF said:
I know your pain. I went through that at my last work.

-Shootin' and Lootin'

-Survivor

-Put Your Quarter Up

-Close Talking

edit: BEATEN dang it. Wasted 3 minutes doing this... lol

TommyT

Shake Appeal said:
Dream Flourisher!

He builds you up so he can get this:
r74tqc.jpg

jk jk :D

Hey You

squidhands said:
He may not have even been involved with making Reach's playlists.
Actually on his LinkedIn Profile it does state he set up the launch playlist amongst other things.

I'm pretty sure he set them up before even know his future.

Anyone else noticing their k/d is lower/higher in Reach?

I used to have a nice 1.5 k/d in Halo 3, now, 1.15 in Reach. My buddy was the opposite, and he's now better than me in H3.:lol

And I can tell his trueskill is higher when I play with him too - our opponents are much higher skilled than when I play alone :lol And I had a damn 50 in Halo 3 too. I am outclassed in Reach now... too much CoD?

I really liked Swat in the beta, seems a little different now, however, I do hate it on Boneyard, playing 4 v 4 though, I have yet to try. So I don't hate Swat, just some maps that I've played it on.

Hey You

ManCannon said:
this just in: current targeted release date for Oct. playlist update is next Tuesday (pending final test pass, etc..). Only one more weekend of enduring SWAT!!! :D (Snipers is NOT getting its own playlist - not for now at least - but it will be weighted MUCH lower so you'll see it/vote on it a lot less)
Awesome.
Rumble Pit isn't being addressed in this update, it's being worked on for the next one - stuff like Infection, Race, etc.. being moved into either dedicated playlists or weekend playlists pending demand and population

AWESOME! So does that mean special weekend playlists similar to H3's Double Exp will be coming?
- but we need people to make more Race and Infection maps! Get to it!
Finally! I will get working on some stuff and let my infection Group know. When will know the process for Community maps and such? And what requirements for map?Are you guys just searching through files and testing them?

Major Williams said:
Anyone else noticing their k/d is lower/higher in Reach?

I used to have a nice 1.5 k/d in Halo 3, now, 1.15 in Reach. My buddy was the opposite, and he's now better than me in H3.:lol

And I can tell his trueskill is higher when I play with him too - our opponents are much higher skilled than when I play alone :lol And I had a damn 50 in Halo 3 too. I am outclassed in Reach now... too much CoD?
My KD is low because I prefer objective games, I will throw my life away if it means getting that point captured or helping close the gap between winning and losing.

Also in the last match I was in I spawned on my battle bro and instantly came under fire, I take down the elite's shield before he takes me down with a human AR and by bro is right next to us, guess what he does? he decides to try and get a melee kill for today's challenge and dies :/ idiot nearly cost us the 2nd part of spire.

ManCannon said:
Glad to hear it. I really enjoyed the IC bit.

Hey You said:
Actually on his LinkedIn Profile it does state he set up the launch playlist amongst other things.

I'm pretty sure he set them up before even know his future.
Well, I stand corrected. From all the complaints that I've been reading (still haven't delved into MP that much), he might want to take that bit off. :lol

Magni

Yay, ten seconds into the game, black screen. After five minutes I try to pull up the Guide, no dice, well there goes a quit =(

edit: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right when I push the power button (ie, a good two minutes after pushing the guide button) it pops up ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom