• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
electricpirate said:
Looks are so hard to judge by, Prelease everyone was predicting countdown to suck, based on dislike for orbital/rusty human visuals, but it kind of turned out the other way around.

You know, I would be super super hyped (okay, I am super super hyped), but this keeps worrying me.

Sure, the maps can look nice, and that's awesome, but I wonder how well they'll play.

i knew countdown would be awesome

Azar

Tempest looks really nice, and reminds me a little of my favorite Halo PC CE map. Really excited to play that one, and see exactly how the Forge options compare to Forge World.

I don't really like the sound of "With the imminent release of the Noble Team Map Pack our job is wrapping up but yours has only just begun," though. Forge World is a fantastic tool, but will always be limited, and Reach launched with the weakest lineup of original maps in the series. I hope we get at least one more map pack in the next six months.

Ramirez

Wish we would have got two small maps and two traditional BTB maps, oh well. I don't really care for Invasion, and when they're shoehorned into BTB they're terrible, maybe this one will be different.

krakov

Haven't played all that much of reach MM yet but I'm starting to get a feel for the maps.

I think I'm going completely against the consensus when I say that I love The cage and really like Pinnacle, mostly for team slayer but also for objectives. Boardwalk on the other hand seems horrible for 4v4 slayer as far as I'm concerned. Zealot seems to be all about teamshooting and grenade spam. Sword Base and Reflection both seem a bit one sided with very specific hotspots. Don't have much to say about the other ones thus far. I like Powerhouse but since the beta it just doesn't seem to jive with me, I usually can't get any kills and just run around the map looking for opponents. Is the house with the propipe the main hotspot now?

The BTB maps have to many vehicles and too few weapon spawns imho. When playing BTB on Invasion maps a few of the areas seem completely barren, maybe it would be an idea to close some parts off?

Also, I don't play SWAT and avoid Snipers if possible.

neoism

Halo_Reach_NobleDLC_Tempest_01.jpg

:O

GhaleonEB

Hugbot said:
It's definitely the perfect motivation to finish off my Forge map. I've been throwing a few hours at a time into it but have just now (re)built the geometry. After I get spawns and weapons in I'll be hosting some customs on it and any other maps whoever joins wants to test out. We should be able to get a good number of maps playtested pretty hard before the contest is over.
It motivated me to go in and start touching up little stuff on Crossroads that I was going to leave in place. Fixed a half dozen bumps, tweaked the bases to make them better, and extracted $200 in budget to boot, with which I can fix another few places. I am dancing.

Hopefully this motivates a new round of polished maps in customs. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
According to Urk, the DLC team finished up the Noble Pack last night at midnight - just in time for the Bungie - GAF Humpday to make them feel good about themselves. :lol

The DLC Team was indeed working on these maps before we shipped Reach. The nature of development allows particular teams to roll off a project just as others are being thrust directly into the thick of the fight (Concept Artists aren't called upon to do a lot of testing, for example). DLC just went content complete last night at midnight. None of these maps ever had any potential to make launch.

And thanks Bungie for ruining my DLC Speculation piece. Buggers. =)

zam

The new map pack looks really good, Tempest especially looks really awesome. Nice to get some new types of environments, getting kinda tired of the Forge World environment and the sameish textures of all the forge building blocks (the gray metal forerunner-ish oieces).

Also, yay snow map!

Guessing one of the new achievements will be unlock rank X (some rank higher than Lt Col.), would be a nice fuck you to the cR glitchers :D

Chorazin said:
After 7 hours total of fruitless attempts, I'm just done trying. It's not worth the frustration.

I can beat the game on Legendary Solo, but I can't get one stupid cheevo because the way to unlock it is so fucking arcane.
The way to unlock isn't all that arcane imo, you need to cancel sprint and the fall has to be one that would kill you, so if you just land on the elite (without assassinating) the fall won't kill you, so you need to be aiming for slightly behind him. Took me less than an hour to do it and then the major problem was not being able to jump far enough to reach the elite, and the bastard moving after I had jumped.

FourDoor

The contest does help motivate me to finally get started in Forge in Reach.

Also from the contest rules:

Sponsor or its designees will review all eligible entries and select the winners of each category based on the equally-weighted criteria identified below. Sponsor will not provide feedback, support or response to any Entrants regarding their submission.

I guess this means that we're on our own vetting the maps ourselves. Hopefully when the contest is over and they are looking for just more matchmaking maps we can finally have some kind of structure in submitting maps.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Urk, did you find enough on that guy I mentioned to you to ban him? He has played the last few days and glitched the challenges to get to max rank now...

zam

Deadly Cyclone said:
Urk, did you find enough on that guy I mentioned to you to ban him? He has played the last few days and glitched the challenges to get to max rank now...
Also wondering about the guys I pm'd you about urk. Are the banhammer gods just waiting for the next time they reset/ban a huge bunch of players?

It would be hilarious if the next big bunch of resets come right when the rank cap is lifted :lol "hey guyz we lifted the rank cap oh wait you guys gotta go back to square one"

zam

The Lamonster said:
I wonder about the plot of Deliver Hope. The first Spartan is Kat. She doesn't have her bionic arm yet. So what battle are they fighting if it wasn't Reach?
never noticed she didn't have her arm, though then again I only watched that trailer once. Also I first thought the other spartan that shows up was Noble Six (well technically he is Noble Six, but not the same Six that is in Reach), but after reading the Halo Wiki a week or so back I realized that is the spartan Noble Six replaces, which explains why Kat's attitude towards Six in the beginning of the game isn't very friendly.

ElRenoRaven

Cuban Legend said:
so halogaf, ever wonder about The Making of "Deliver Hope"?

Not bad but man it needed more depth. I want a good solid making of. One that covers everything from storyboarding to the actual post work. Something like you would find on a Blu Ray or dvd.

Also that still makes me want a Halo movie so damn bad. I really really want to see this franchise brought to the big screen. It really could be the next Star Wars with the amount of depth that the Halo Universe has.

Noble Map Pack is looking amazing. The maps seem like they should be a lot of fun. Now we just need a small snow map in the next pack.

So, yeah, Tempest is looking amazing. Also, it has come a long way since our first look at it.

HAloReachmap.jpg

Halo_Reach_NobleDLC_Tempest_03.jpg

Although, I did like the dead look, as it reminded me of burial mounds. Still it looks leagues better now. If anything they should have put some glaciers out in the water to make it more pretty.
The fact that tempest will be a new Forge map makes me so happy also. I cant wait to think of all the different maps we can get out of Reach. :D

ManCannon

FourDoor said:
The contest does help motivate me to finally get started in Forge in Reach.

I guess this means that we're on our own vetting the maps ourselves. Hopefully when the contest is over and they are looking for just more matchmaking maps we can finally have some kind of structure in submitting maps.

Sweet, motivate and incentivize is what we aimed to do with the contest.

Don't worry, this contest is not the only way to get Forge maps to Bungie and potentially into matchmaking but hopefully it will open the flood gates for us with a nice assortment of quality maps for specific gametypes. Fingers crossed.

We're still working on some longer term, more formal paths for maps but the contest will help tide things over in the interim. We also hope to try and get some more materials out there to help people better understand Forge and some best practices for making maps.

In any case, I wouldn't ever expect a robust feedback loop, there simply aren't resources for it. The sheer volume of content and the unlimited degree of issues warranting feedback make it impossible for us to give notes on every map we receive. We have to push the bulk of the vetting and playtest and iterating burden onto the community itself before the maps even get to us.

And man I was surprised to hear the results of the humpday this morning... :D I wasn't surprised to hear about game 2 though.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Bravo for sticking to 3 maps for 800 pts since Forge can handle remakes. Will definitely buy those.

feel

Thanks for the insight, can't wait till the really good community maps start appearing on MM. Would be cool if Bungie made custom lobby images for each map, so people know more easily what they're voting for.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Pretty good Halo news day, today. Map pack, a formal pipeline for Forge content, and good challenges to boot.

Very disappointed the map pack is only three large, though. We're now in a situation where the Halo game that had the worst selection of maps at launch is the first to receive a DLC pack. I believe Bungie when they say the maps couldn't have been included for launch. But it's not as if saying that just absolves them and makes everything OK.

I think about it like this - what if DLC didn't exist? Like... it was never invented. Would Halo: Reach still have launched with the collection of maps it launched with? I think on some level, the Reach team knew they could "fix" the map collection with DLC down the line.

All that being said, I've never bought ANY map pack in ANY game, and I'd still strongly considering getting these Noble maps. We'll see how much Halo I'm playing in 6 weeks.

Red

GDJustin said:
Pretty good Halo news day, today. Map pack, a formal pipeline for Forge content, and good challenges to boot.

Very disappointed the map pack is only three large, though. We're now in a situation where the Halo game that had the worst selection of maps at launch is the first to receive a DLC pack. I believe Bungie when they say the maps couldn't have been included for launch. But it's not as if saying that just absolves them and makes everything OK.

I think about it like this - what if DLC didn't exist? Like... it was never invented. Would Halo: Reach still have launched with the collection of maps it launched with? I think on some level, the Reach team knew they could "fix" the map collection with DLC down the line.

All that being said, I've never bought ANY map pack in ANY game, and I'd still strongly considering getting these Noble maps. We'll see how much Halo I'm playing in 6 weeks.
I think Forge World maps ultimately add quite a bit of value and variety to the map selection. The problem is, not many have been implemented in matchmaking thus far.

GDJustin said:

Bungie was probably already working on new maps after the game went Gold, and maybe even before that. I remember seeing that Tempest map in screenshots in IGN's article on the new Bungie.net a month or so before launch.

I'm kind of disappointed there's no new Firefight space in this map pack. A few new places to shoot Covenant in are always welcome.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Demoncarnotaur said:
Noble Map Pack is looking amazing. The maps seem like they should be a lot of fun. Now we just need a small snow map in the next pack.

So, yeah, Tempest is looking amazing. Also, it has come a long way since our first look at it.

HAloReachmap.jpg
where does this come from? some sort of leak?

Blue Ninja said:
Bungie was probably already working on new maps after the game went Gold, and maybe even before that. I remember seeing that Tempest map in screenshots in IGN's article on the new Bungie.net a month or so before launch.

I'm kind of disappointed there's no new Firefight space in this map pack. A few new places to shoot Covenant in are always welcome.
They've got to be working on a FF pack, they'd be crazy not to.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
sn1pes said:
Your competitive win percentage is insane. Looks like you spread out in different playlists, too. You play with randoms mostly or parties?

Parties, but according to the Humpday thread, playing with your friends is a no-no. :(

Dani said:
So, the new NXE update will let you add up to 1000 friends. A bit much, but about time.

I just hoped there's some options to separate out friends this time around.

OHH, btw, is anyone on GAF RobotChickens, Capt. Hacker or Vitamn ARRR?

NOKYARD

Sure, i want a much larger list, but i don't want to have to go through pages and pages of Friend Requests to find my actual friends should i have a map published.

Please be a way to block or filter requests so they do not get added to the top of your current friends list, or at least add them to the bottom of the current list.

Gui_PT said:
Yeah, I can't wait to send them friend requests and have them denied :D =(
Lol. Happen to my naive side. :( :lol

1000Friends. I dont need the EuroHaloGAF and the ReachGAF3 gamertag anymore. Now I can add you all <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom