• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypertrooper said:
We rocked the stage. :D
:D Daily challenges done in 5 games today.
ss-2010-10-15_07.17.04l6fb.png

Hypertrooper and I were boss at Multiteam.

feel

What constitutes CQC on Reach? Meleeing someone? Or shooting from a very close distance also count?

And while we're on it, what are the incredible feats? (Jack of all trades)

Unrelated: Using FemSix for the first time in my current playthrough, pretty sweet. :D

aesop

Buckethead said:
Armor lock is a sure sign of a noob, but there are ways around it.

The problem is when you're ganged up on.
This is just so wrong that it's causing me to have a rage stroke. (exaggeration is fun!)

The true noob is the one who hasn't learned how to deal with it a month after release.

feel

Is the person using what I use? --> He's legit.

Is the person using a different AA and he just destroyed me? --> "You &@^#$@!!!"

Sean

Banned
Letters said:
What constitutes CQC on Reach? Meleeing someone? Or shooting from a very close distance also count?

They did this challenge before and I got it while shooting at close range with assault rifle, so it doesn't have to be melee.

i know of two things that count as incredible feats/jack of all trades - one is a kill from the grave, another is the getting the "revenge" medal. i'm sure there's a bunch more though.

aesop

Letters said:
Is the person using what I use? --> He's legit.

Is the person using a different AA and he just destroyed me? --> "You &@^#$@!!!"
:lol

"Rockets are up. I'mma go get 'em. Shit, blue team got 'em first. Fucking noobs."

Jinjo

aesop said:
This is just so wrong that it's causing me to have a rage stroke. (exaggeration is fun!)

The true noob is the one who hasn't learned how to deal with it a month after release.

This. Especially the people that still keep standing next to an AL'd person. :lol

Chorazin

aesop said:

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I was using AL like a motherfucker last night in FFA, loved popping it when two guys got close, then just picked off the winner of their fight (or both of them after they popped shields.)

Also loved popping out of it when I had the sword and some moron figured he'd get close to me and try and melee me after I dropped the AL. :lol

Re: Bart's Manor/Outbreak!

Sikamikanico said:
I found that Sprint helped, plus with random spawns and no radar the humans really have to pull a miracle out of the bag!

I'm more worried about the early game. Earning those first few infections turned out to be exceptionally tricky when the survivors stuck together (the active camo is a godsend for this though). I do love the power of the last man standing; in our first game, we didn't realize how strong it was, so I racked up a massive K/D spread as I mowed down waves of loudly cursing zombies. Once we realized how the zombies have to organize to take down the last man standing, it balanced out pretty well. Especially when we were all in party chat together and the zombies are shouting positional movements to each other, and the last survivor is freaking out as he gets flanked :lol

I really hope this makes it into the matchmaking hopper eventually. I'm sure it needs more stress testing, but my initial impressions are nothing but positive.

oatmeal said:
Fuck. Armor. Lock.

Most overpowered piece of shit in the game.

What they need to do to fix it:

1. Don't allow people to spam it, if you use it once, you have to wait 2-3 seconds to reuse.
2. Don't let your shields come back. It should be USING your shields to keep it going, not just covering you.
3. Don't let it break a sticky. That's just bullshit.
4. If I'm standing close to them, don't get rid of my shields when they come out. No other AA hurts anyone but AL. That's bullshit.

Sadly I've joined the AL bandwagon and use it in Team Arena. I don't think it'll be long before everyone starts using it there. Definitely needs to be altered.

Jinjo said:
Same here. :lol

Armor Lock CQC is awesome though. Especially when you're up against another experienced AL'er.

oh yeah, the fast action of standing still for 5 seconds staring at each other is so intense!

Falt said:
Shootin' and Lootin' - 4000cR
Kill 400 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

A Great Friend - 900cR
Earn 15 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

No 'I' in Team - 360cR
Earn 6 assists in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Up Close and Personal - 250cR
Kill 5 enemies with close quarters combat in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Inconsistent credits ftw, right?!
I find Assist challenges to be the biggest human psychology related game breaker in all of videogame kind. It never fails that I have at least one teammate that thinks the best way to earn this is to shoot at an enemy and then just stop, hoping another teammate will finish them off.

F***. That. Sh**.

How does Bungie think that these Challenges are a good idea? How do they think that 30 assists in a day is an even better idea?!

Trasher

Letters said:

Unrelated: Using FemSix for the first time in my current playthrough, pretty sweet. :D
What's FemSix?

Also, I don't get why people are pissed about the challenges today. They are super easy. 5500 cR for little to no effort.

Letters said:

To the best of my knowledge, anything from the "Weapons and Style" category on bungie.net counts for Jack of All Trades.

So for instance, a revenge/headshot/headcase/protector kill in SWAT will tick your Jack of All Trades commendation up 4 points (that happened to me a few days ago, that kill had an insane credit payout :D)

Jinjo

cuevas said:
oh yeah, the fast action of standing still for 5 seconds staring at each other is so intense!

I was talking about something like this, which was posted a few pages ago. I've had battles like that, that lasted even longer (sometimes up to 3 locks per person). Awesome stuff. Offcourse if you don't know how to use AL properly you will be staring for 5 seconds at each other. I can understand how that's boring.

Trasher

Why is this video posted at the top of every single article on Bungie's site?

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=28632

Edit: It's even posted on the page where you watch the video. :lol

oddworld18 said:
To the best of my knowledge, anything from the "Weapons and Style" category on bungie.net counts for Jack of All Trades.

So for instance, a revenge/headshot/headcase/protector kill in SWAT will tick your Jack of All Trades commendation up 4 points (that happened to me a few days ago, that kill had an insane credit payout :D)
I believe that is correct. Luke actually made a post quite some time ago mentioning everything that counted towards it. Can't remember if that post was in the Beta thread or the last OT though...

aesop said:

Yep, agreed.

Armor lock is so useful, the people who hate it used against them should try it out sometime. It's especially useful in team games.

And no, it shouldn't be "weakened" or altered in any way. I'm so tired of people whining over it. Learn to use it, enjoy.

divisionbyzorro said:
Re: Bart's Manor/Outbreak!

I'm more worried about the early game. Earning those first few infections turned out to be exceptionally tricky when the survivors stuck together (the active camo is a godsend for this though). I do love the power of the last man standing; in our first game, we didn't realize how strong it was, so I racked up a massive K/D spread as I mowed down waves of loudly cursing zombies. Once we realized how the zombies have to organize to take down the last man standing, it balanced out pretty well. Especially when we were all in party chat together and the zombies are shouting positional movements to each other, and the last survivor is freaking out as he gets flanked :lol

I really hope this makes it into the matchmaking hopper eventually. I'm sure it needs more stress testing, but my initial impressions are nothing but positive.

One tactic I found useful - the Zombie's that start - the first grabs camo and jumps straight into the mancannon to the attic - the second heads for the teleport in the garage.

Now a zombie with sprint can actually get into the attic around the same time as the humans. With invis, he should score a kill - if not, his friend coming out of the teleporter BEHIND the humans will! (hilarious panic induced screams follow)

I've posted it on the Bungie blog, so I'm sure Urk & co have seen it. It's their call on the matchmaking front.

Trasher

7echnicolor said:
Yep, agreed.

Armor lock is so useful, the people who hate it used against them should try it out sometime. It's especially useful in team games.

And no, it shouldn't be "weakened" or altered in any way. I'm so tired of people whining over it. Learn to use it, enjoy.
It's not nearly as bad as it was during the beta. I'm glad they toned it down a bit for the retail version. I'm sure people who hated it during the beta are quite happy with it now. The only time I use it is during BTB though. It's so satisfying popping Armor Lock right as a vehicle is trying to splatter you. You can get some pretty easy kills doing that. :p

Gui_PT said:
Any word on when the Campaign MM will be up?

Edit: Oh you are most likely wondering what time. Nm then. Not sure. I would have guessed at 3am PST when the challenges updated, but I'm guessing that it's not there then since you are asking.

Hey You

Sikamikanico said:
Glad you guys like it! We tried to get it out into the wild in time for HALOween.

*swells with pride*
I see you entered the little Infection forge contest I'm holding in my Private group :D

Hey You said:
I see you entered the little Infection forge contest I'm holding in my Private group :D

I thought I recognised the creator. Yeah, just spreading the word, did it before I went to bed last night. I can remove it if you like?

Hey You

Sikamikanico said:
I thought I recognised the creator. Yeah, just spreading the word, did it before I went to bed last night. I can remove it if you like?
Remove what? Your entry? Why would you do that? :p

krakov

The problem with Armor Lock is that people can't deal with it. Unless someone locks with his team to back him up you should get the kill, if not, you probably made a big mistake.

Also note that Armor Lock has pretty specific usage, it won't help you navigate the map or give you the drop on people. People just don't consider how much use the other abilities have since their impact isn't as direct.

Reknoc

Oh god my 360 died as soon as this came out so I've only just managed to play it but it's pretty sweet. Only really had chance to play the campaign so far and it's pretty good, though I'm getting alittle fed up of double hunter attacks and the chapters seem kinda disjointed with not much connecting them. Like wasn't I in the beta MP map just a second a go, why am I suddenly sneaking around a cliff face? But it's all pretty minor and it's still so far my favourite Halo (though to be fair ODST was the only one prior I liked).

feel

^ Are you skipping cutscenes or distracted during them?

oddworld18 said:

Thanks!

Trasher said:
What's FemSix?
female Noble Six

(Mass Effect players refer to the female Sheppard as FemShep)

krakov said:
The problem with Armor Lock is that people can't deal with it. Unless someone locks with his team to back him up you should get the kill, if not, you probably made a big mistake.

Also note that Armor Lock has pretty specific usage, it won't help you navigate the map or give you the drop on people. People just don't consider how much use the other abilities have since their impact isn't as direct.

Finally, someone who gets it. :D

Trasher said:
It's not nearly as bad as it was during the beta. I'm glad they toned it down a bit for the retail version. I'm sure people who hated it during the beta are quite happy with it now. The only time I use it is during BTB though. It's so satisfying popping Armor Lock right as a vehicle is trying to splatter you. You can get some pretty easy kills doing that. :p

Whenever I'm playing BTB on Hemorrhage- I choose Armor Lock so I can save myself from getting splattered by every ghost that tries to kill me :lol

Though I do get frustrated when someone uses it against me.

Chinner

Banned
so ive been in hospital for the last 5 days. what have i missed in terms of halo news? apart from it selling 3.3 million in its first month (does that beat halo 3 btw?).

Hey You said:
Remove what? Your entry? Why would you do that? :p

Just the whole swan in and enter. I don't think I said Hello. Very rude of me. Bungie.net is blocked at work, but I'll make sure I'll introduce myself later.

The Lamonster said:
Bart's Manor is awesome. Has the author made any other exceptional maps?

There are other things cooking yes. Are they exceptional? No idea! lol

Hey You

Sikamikanico said:
Just the whole swan in and enter. I don't think I said Hello. Very rude of me. Bungie.net is blocked at work, but I'll make sure I'll introduce myself later.
No problem :p. I'm happy as long as people posting Maps we can use in gamenights.:lol

I haven't looked at the stats yet, but I feel like, when I run AL, I do worse in the game, but my team seems to do better. It seems to fit with my strategy of, "RUN IN WILDLY SHOOTING MY PISTOL, THROWING NADES." I'm just one big distraction. Especially on maps like Countdown with lots of CQB, and flanking, AL really helps give my team the edge, even if I'm only going ~ even K/D.

AL blocking a sword, then a well timed EMP shield pop, following with a melee kill JUST FEELS SO GODDAMN GOOD, I never want that feeling to go away. :D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Chinner said:
so ive been in hospital for the last 5 days. what have i missed in terms of halo news? apart from it selling 3.3 million in its first month (does that beat halo 3 btw?).
No it does not beat H3.

With all the armor lock talk... can anyone explain the EMP burst. It feels like sometimes it goes off for me and sometimes it doesn't. For a while I thought I had to hold it for a certain amount of time but then I've had times where I just tapped it to avoid an obvious melee and I pop shields. Then the next time that same situation comes up... nothing.

aesop

Blergmeister said:
With all the armor lock talk... can anyone explain the EMP burst. It feels like sometimes it goes off for me and sometimes it doesn't. For a while I thought I had to hold it for a certain amount of time but then I've had times where I just tapped it to avoid an obvious melee and I pop shields. Then the next time that same situation comes up... nothing.
Seems like the longer you stay locked, the bigger the blast radius on the EMP.

Chinner said:

I think that is the same as H3, but the revenue on it was higher. I guess that's a little disapointing, since it means lower daily sales rate than H3 had, but it's a tremendous number. I think H3's hype machine/marketing was better executed and timed, as the hype on that game hit a fever pitch at just the right time. I fully expect Reach to have more staying power than H3 did, in part because I don't think Black Ops/MOH will have nearly the impact around Christmas that COD 4 did, and also in part because I think Reach has wider appeal.

Sorry to hear about the hospital, what happened?

Hugbot

Blergmeister said:
IIRC it pops if you've been locked a certain amount of time, and the radius increases the longer you held down. If someone melees you while you're locked it'll sap their shields also.

ShinAmano

True Life Armor Lock Stories:

So I have been out of the game for the past 2 weeks (got married/honeymoon)...anyhow I came back to all this talk about AL...saw that people 'loved to AL and then beat down the people waiting for the free kill'...I gave it a try...it works...got three kills in two games doing just that, and you know what...it is really satisfying! :lol

Blergmeister said:

The longer you hold it, the bigger the burst. I think there's a point where it generates the EMP, but I haven't seen any testing on it yet.

Hugbot said:
IIRC it pops if you've been locked a certain amount of time, and the radius increases the longer you held down. If someone melees you while you're locked it'll sap their shields also.

I don't think Melees drop the attackers shields anymore, but they do slightly stun the attacker, allowing you to pop the EMP for the counter attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom