• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
electricpirate said:
I think that is the same as H3, but the revenue on it was higher. I guess that's a little disapointing, since it means lower daily sales rate than H3 had, but it's a tremendous number. I think H3's hype machine/marketing was better executed and timed, as the hype on that game hit a fever pitch at just the right time. I fully expect Reach to have more staying power than H3 did, in part because I don't think Black Ops/MOH will have nearly the impact around Christmas that COD 4 did, and also in part because I think Reach has wider appeal.

Sorry to hear about the hospital, what happened?

Yeah the Reach hype machine was like non existant, I think a bunch of people commented on that on Gaf. :(

Urk, Get stosh on the line and make the mouse overs on the time spent wheel pop to the INSIDE of the wheel, they keep popping off the screen :(

I fully blame him for that.

Bagel and I are playing Match Making right now... I tried to join Dax but now he is offline... :\

Anyone want to join up for some MM or perhaps customs if we get enough?

Add me - my GT is in my profile

electricpirate said:
The longer you hold it, the bigger the burst. I think there's a point where it generates the EMP, but I haven't seen any testing on it yet.

I don't think Melees drop the attackers shields anymore, but they do slightly stun the attacker, allowing you to pop the EMP for the counter attack.

I've seen shields pop after a quick lock and I've also seen nothing happen (maybe it took off partial but I couldn't tell.)

I have hit a guy with a hammer who locked at the last moment and then was in a stunned slow movement state afterwords for a few seconds. I was playing split screen with a friend who hit a guy with a hammer he had been using and he claimed it sucked some of the hammers charge out. Is anyone able to confirm this?

I love armor lock, it's my most used AA, but I feel like I don't know a lot of the intricacies.

Hugbot

electricpirate said:
I don't think Melees drop the attackers shields anymore, but they do slightly stun the attacker, allowing you to pop the EMP for the counter attack.
Huh, did not know that. I thought it did last night, but it may have just been me popping AL early enough to charge the EMP before the sword lunge, because I let go right after the swing and his shields were gone. I didn't think I was on the ground llong enough but that'd explain it.

Jinjo said:
I was talking about something like this, which was posted a few pages ago. I've had battles like that, that lasted even longer (sometimes up to 3 locks per person). Awesome stuff. Offcourse if you don't know how to use AL properly you will be staring for 5 seconds at each other. I can understand how that's boring.

A guy with a sword has AL? Whoda thunk it.

Blergmeister said:
I've seen shields pop after a quick lock and I've also seen nothing happen (maybe it took off partial but I couldn't tell.)

I have hit a guy with a hammer who locked at the last moment and then was in a stunned slow movement state afterwords for a few seconds. I was playing split screen with a friend who hit a guy with a hammer he had been using and he claimed it sucked some of the hammers charge out. Is anyone able to confirm this?

I love armor lock, it's my most used AA, but I feel like I don't know a lot of the intricacies.

It's either really deep or really inconsistent!:lol

Question for you AL guys: I know the EMP when you release the AL takes down shields, but how do people turn around and melee me so fast when I'm behind them? Is it because they rotate the camera in my direction while they're in 3rd person view?

C Jones

electricpirate said:
Urk, Get stosh on the line and make the mouse overs on the time spent wheel pop to the INSIDE of the wheel, they keep popping off the screen :(

I fully blame him for that.
I agree, while minor it's pretty annoying.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Neuromancer said:
Question for you AL guys: I know the EMP when you release the AL takes down shields, but how do people turn around and melee me so fast when I'm behind them? Is it because they rotate the camera in my direction while they're in 3rd person view?
Yes.

krakov

Neuromancer said:

Yep.
Bah, late :(

Chorazin

Neuromancer said:

Yup. You pop out of the AL in the direction your reticle is pointed.

electricpirate said:
It's either really deep or really inconsistent!:lol

Every other AA is intuitive to grasp. Sprint-duh, jetpack-derp, roll-herp. Camo and bubble shield have more depth than those... but armor lock? When does the shield pop? What effect does melees against it have? etc etc...

I just like eating up grenades and tricking people into punching me in the face only to reverse it and punch them in the face. Anything else is just gravy.

equil

Chinner said:
so ive been in hospital for the last 5 days. what have i missed in terms of halo news? apart from it selling 3.3 million in its first month (does that beat halo 3 btw?).

I think that's just the US number of sales.

GhaleonEB

Looks like more playlist fun going on.

TEAM SNIPERS Available 10.19.2010

Might be old age continuing to kick in, but didn't think that was there before, just Living Dead.
Hey You said:
Both those appeared yesterday I believe.
Ah, figures; I just saw the Living Dead discussion. I'm a bit behind on mah HaloGAF reading the past few days.

equil

GhaleonEB said:
Looks like more playlist fun going on.

TEAM SNIPERS Available 10.19.2010

Might be old age continuing to kick in, but didn't think that was there before, just Living Dead.

Why does team objective always have the fewest amount of players...

Hugbot

equil said:
Because people have no taste. Also, when I do venture in there half the people play it like slayer anyway so it's a bummer.

equil said:

It's sad, because most of Reach's maps are better for object gametypes than slayer, yet when I pop on for games, I find myself gravitating towards. TS most of the time. I just really want a team to roll with in objective I guess, and it's hard to organize that. It's probably my favorite playlist and the one I've spent the least amount of time on :(

It's the playlist that gives me moments like this that I love it http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6556103&player=electricpirate : when I capped this, I just stood up and did a dance about how awesome it was to score it.

Hey You

Blergmeister said:
No update on a Firefight VS playlist? It will make all the Firefight daily challanges much funner to get (for me at least)!
I believe we'll be getting more info on that from Lars in todays BWU.

equil said:

Because no playlist manager ever really designed them well enough to be fair, hell they never even made them really make sense. Flag time spawns, objective timings, respawns, have almost always been used wrong. Forge lets them fix and tweak these things too but they usually just take the map and throw down a flag or two flags and shoehorn the default objective gametype onto the map and bam done...

It can't be done like that.

Each map needs its own settings.

Another part is that objectives require a sort of teamwork that you just don't obtain with randoms. Going in alone is suicide if matched against a well practiced team of 4.

Finally my last point is there's no drop in drop out and no ample quit/mercy system in Halo's. If one person quits in objective you've basically lost. Offensive and defensive rounds just become about not getting spawn killed over and over.

Hugbot

Neuromancer said:
Firefight vs? What would that accomplish? No thanks.
boothisman.jpg

Firefight VS sounds really exciting but I haven't had a chance to play it since there's no playlist for it. I'm hoping that they'll mention it in the BWU today along with the rest of the firefight info.

xxjuicesxx said:
Because no playlist manager ever really designed them well enough to be fair, hell they never even made them really make sense. Flag time spawns, objective timings, respawns, have almost always been used wrong. Forge lets them fix and tweak these things too but they usually just take the map and throw down a flag or two flags and shoehorn the default objective gametype onto the map and bam done...

Another part is that objectives require a sort of teamwork that you just don't obtain with randoms. Going in alone is suicide if matched against a well practiced team of 4.

Finally my last point is there's no drop in drop out and no ample quit/mercy system in Halo's. If one person quits in objective you've basically lost. Offensive and defensive rounds just become about not getting spawn killed over and over.

Juices nailed it.

Hugbot said:
boothisman.jpg

Firefight VS sounds really exciting but I haven't had a chance to play it since there's no playlist for it. I'm hoping that they'll mention it in the BWU today along with the rest of the firefight info.
Yeah. Firefight vs. should be a lot of fun. My friend loves firefight, so we'll be rocking that gametype hard whenever it goes up.

Despite owning an XBox/XBox 360 for 8 years, I've never played Halo. Until Reach.

I'm an hour or so into the single player campaign and having a ton of fun. That said, I'm terrible. I've played a grand total of three FPS in my lifetime (thing being my third).

Are there any good tips for a a Halo/genre newbie who wants to play people online? The last thing I want to do is break some unwritten rule and piss people off.

wwm0nkey

FunnyBunny said:
Despite owning an XBox/XBox 360 for 8 years, I've never played Halo. Until Reach.

I'm an hour or so into the single player campaign and having a ton of fun. That said, I'm terrible. I've played a grand total of three FPS in my lifetime (thing being my third).

Are there any good tips for a a Halo/genre newbie who wants to play people online? The last thing I want to do is break some unwritten rule and piss people off.
Play Firefight a bit or do something that helps you aim. Or just go online and learn lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think they use universal settings so joe-blows don't get too confused when every map has different flag settings and such, makes sense.

I don't know what it is with this game compared to Halo 2 or 3, but I just feel like people don't really want to play custom games. I always get a party of 8 and it's immediately popped into Big Team Battle.

I like a good btb game, but 4v4 is fun too.

NH Apache

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
I think they use universal settings so joe-blows don't get too confused when every map has different flag settings and such, makes sense.

I don't know what it is with this game compared to Halo 2 or 3, but I just feel like people don't really want to play custom games. I always get a party of 8 and it's immediately popped into Big Team Battle.

I like a good btb game, but 4v4 is fun too.

Its all about the credits. Fill that bar!

xxjuicesxx said:

To add to that, the default AA loadouts aren't great either. Drop Shield has no place in multiplayer objective games, and the fact that it takes the place of jetpack in Flag games is more than a little disturbing.

Aggrotek

I've been noticing a trend on the Bnet forums:

Thread 1. Generic "WTF raise the level cap BUNGEEEE!"
Thread 2. Generic "Stop complaining about the level cap boosting jerks!!!"
Thread 3. "(Insert AA here) is so -blam- useless!!! NERF IT!"

It's quite comical. For a game dev that supports it's community, I say the majority of the community doesn't deserve it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Aggrotek said:
I've been noticing a trend on the Bnet forums:

Thread 1. Generic "WTF raise the level cap BUNGEEEE!"
Thread 2. Generic "Stop complaining about the level cap boosting jerks!!!"
Thread 3. "(Insert AA here) is so -blam- useless!!! NERF IT!"

It's quite comical. For a game dev that supports it's community, I say the majority of the community doesn't deserve it.
Bungie forums are probably the worst gaming forums on the internet, seriously. The percentage of irrational ideas, foundation-less complaints and general baseless bitching on there are astounding. All of the intelligent posters, which do exist, get overshadowed by the wealth of idiots, or spend their time telling idiots that they are being irrational and that they should shut up.

Aggrotek

enzo_gt said:
Bungie forums are probably the worst gaming forums on the internet, seriously. The percentage of irrational ideas, foundation-less complaints and general baseless bitching on there are astounding. All of the intelligent posters, which do exist, get overshadowed by the wealth of idiots, or spend their time telling idiots that they are being irrational and that they should shut up.

Not to mention that almost every post is answered with either "Cool story bro" or "It's cOLD in here."

Hugbot

enzo_gt said:
forums.steampowered.com?

You're not wrong though, BNet forums are a cesspool.

divisionbyzorro said:
I have my "stormtrooper" helmet, birthday party, and Auntie Dot. I don't need any more credits. :lol

I just want Bucks voice, im VERY LTTP with Firefly. (I didnt even bother with Bucks voice in ODST) and his Firefight voice will tide me over to when they make a second season of that show.

Lol yeah right. :(

As for the Bnet forums, theyre a joke. I feel sorry for the intelligent dudes that dont find HBO or this place.

Falt

Aggrotek said:
I've been noticing a trend on the HaloGaf threads:

HaloGaf Post 1. Generic "WTF raise the level cap BUNGEEEE!"
HaloGaf Post 2. Generic "Stop complaining about the level cap boosting jerks!!!"
HaloGaf Post 3. "(Insert AA here) is so -blam- useless!!! NERF IT!"

amirite?

Firefight versus sounds terrible to me. Firefight should be a sanctuary from the hyper competitive world of MP. If it's not a separate playlist, I have a bad feeling it's going to get voted for every time and my days of firefight matchmaking (outside of score attack) will probably be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom