• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

Major Williams said:
Stopped by the Waypoint forums and happened to see some interesting dialogue there about inconsistencies in the Halo Reach campaign. I'll spoiler everything, but I'm getting sick of spoilering nowadays as the game has been out for some time. Link to the thread
I am posting it here because I feel this needs some more exposure. Very interesting points that really highlight some of the weak points of the campaign (i.e. the DRAMA of the fall of Reach).
The answer is pretty simple really, bungie said they had all these cool ideas they wanted to do for levels and made the story fit around that instead of the other way around. I'm relatively well versed in the fiction, though I'm not one of those guys that knows measurements of ships and gun ranges and other crap like that. Nothing that happened really bothered me from a fiction standpoint. Retcons don't really bother me though.
I wonder what the fiction says about grunt birthday party.

ElRenoRaven

Hugbot said:
:lol I hadn't even realized. I haven't played much Invasion since launch, and have yet to play a round of Boneyard where there wasn't a team down 3+ players so it was always a moot point anyway. Man, that map needs some work done.

You know the only problem I have with it is the initial spawn points being so open for the attackers. If they added more cover it wouldn't be near as bad. As is though I see the attackers regularly win the first round. Sure once in awhile I see them skunked but that's not too often and has gotten less since the game launched.

feel

Dirtbag said:
Nope, dead serious.
Can't stand it. It's going to look ridiculous in about 6 months from now, when everyone is either on fire, has a lightning storm circling their character, or explode into confetti or hearts. I hate the decision.

All mostly set to the back drop of a dying planet.
Agreed. Pretty bad decision to have all those silly extra effects in the game and no option to turn them all off so I don't have to see them from my point of view, so that the game can maintain a serious and cohesive look during multiplayer. Things will look really stupid in a few months and I'm sure they didn't bother leaving some hooks behind to possibly being able to block them in the future.

Dirtbag said:
The answer is pretty simple really, bungie said they had all these cool ideas they wanted to do for levels and made the story fit around that instead of the other way around. I'm relatively well versed in the fiction, though I'm not one of those guys that knows measurements of ships and gun ranges and other crap like that. Nothing that happened really bothered me from a fiction standpoint. Retcons don't really bother me though.
I wonder what the fiction says about grunt birthday party.
Skulls (i.e. GBP, IWHBYD) are purely modifiers that are solely for the fun of it. The canon is something that is taken seriously. They have a few people whose entire job is to ensure the parity of the canon.

Retconning is not something I have really had experience with (didn't really care about Star Wars/Trek/etc), but holy cow it's not fun. Kinda feels like they gave you the Cleveland Steamer and you had to pay for it.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
Boneyard scorpion spawn time on invasion needs to be increased to 180. Now.
While I agree it probably does need a spawn time increase I see the scorpion die regularly due to so many higher locations that you can drop down from right on top of it.

Diablohead said:
Nothing but DMR starts, I dislike it just like BR starts in halo 2 and 3, it's not as bad in Reach but fuck that shit, give me competitive sandbox or objective.

At first I was like...

???

Then I was all like Bungie.net and oh... AR symbol, shitty k/d, bronze division.

In conclusion you probably just need more practice with these weapons.

Really SMG starts in H2? That weapon was ridiculously underpowered compared to the snipe/br in that game. The balance just wasn't there. That's actually what made it so magical, bad AR kids couldn't spray and pray at you with a reticule the size of Leah Remini and get garbage undeserved kills.

PsychoRaven said:
While I agree it probably does need a spawn time increase I see the scorpion die regularly due to so many higher locations that you can drop down from right on top of it.
Oh how I wish randoms thought like you :lol I always PP it with a jetpack and then rape it, but no one else ever does.

xxjuicesxx said:
At first I was like...

???

Then I was all like Bungie.net and oh... AR symbol, shitty k/d, bronze division.

Really SMG starts in H2? That weapon was ridiculously underpowered compared to the snipe/br in that game. The balance just wasn't there. That's actually what made it so magical, bad AR kids couldn't spray and pray at you with a reticule the size of Leah Remini and get garbage undeserved kills.
I chose the AR symbol because it's the one you get for being in the beta, thank you. I like to use all the weapons and I just get pissed off easily being killed within like 2 seconds of spawning due to those weapons.

It's why I stick to invasion, gotta use em all :)

I never said that I liked smg start in halo 2 either, I just disliked the beastly BR in that game. Halo 3 AR starts were nice, an average weapon which did it's job as a starting gun.

Which KD were you looking at? as an invasion player I don't hang back for kills I attack the objective, and usually succeed.

Dirtbag said:
Nope, dead serious.
Can't stand it. It's going to look ridiculous in about 6 months from now, when everyone is either on fire, has a lightning storm circling their character, or explode into confetti or hearts. I hate the decision.

I don't mind the concept of armor effects, I just dislike having them forced on me. Hopefully Bungie can add a client-side option not to show them when they release an update. Everyone's happy then.

Raide

Anyone else getting bored with the Montage stuff on Bungie.net just being filled with Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill? Are there no really good videos that are not full of someone whoring the Sniper Rifle?

ElRenoRaven

Diablohead said:
Oh how I wish randoms thought like you :lol I always PP it with a jetpack and then rape it, but no one else ever does.

Yup. You can do that. You can jump off a structure and plant a grenade. You can just chuck a couple of grenades off a structure on it. Then lets not forget about the spartan laser or rockets if you jack those from the defense's top floor in there.

The only thing about the respawn of it that is so damn annoying is that it's so damn low you kill one and out pops another within seconds.

Raide said:
Anyone else getting bored with the Montage stuff on Bungie.net just being filled with Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill, Sniper kill? Are there no really good videos that are not full of someone whoring the Sniper Rifle?
Agreed. We need some spiker montages. Then I'll be impressed.

Just got that If They Came to Hear Me Beg achievement. Thank god, I was going crazy.

I still think it's bugged but anyway Bungie has this to say about it:

If They Came to Hear Me Beg

If your lunge is too forward it will slow your fall and this achievement will not be triggered as you are no longer traveling at a terminal velocity. Try lunging straight down on the target Elite’s head as you are falling so you don’t lose terminal velocity. This usually takes multiple attempts and can be tough to trigger. Don’t give up!

Anyway that helped. I jumped off the cliff in Pillar of Autumn, kept looking kind of down, aimed for behind the Elite and held RB. This was probably my 50th attempt in all.

Trasher

Neuromancer said:
Just got that If They Came to Hear Me Beg achievement. Thank god, I was going crazy.

I still think it's bugged but anyway Bungie has this to say about it:

Anyway that helped. I jumped off the cliff in Pillar of Autumn, kept looking kind of down, aimed for behind the Elite and held RB. This was probably my 50th attempt in all.
I just fell off the Spire in an Invasion game and lived. They need to fix fall damage in this game badly, and that's why the ITCTHMB achievement never works.

Apath

xxjuicesxx said:
At first I was like...

???

It's a matter of variety. DMR games are mostly DMRs. Anyways, that's beside the point. Point is there is an entire play list dedicated exclusively to this style of play. Do the standard play lists really need to be saturated with Pro/DMR starts?

Aggrotek said:
Can someone tell me why the hell they are taking Pro gametypes out of Arena?

Me thinks they are putting in the MLG playlist in the early October update.

If they don't do it by then, then.....I'm screwed. I always voted for Slayer Pro and won about 80% of my games.

Either MLG playlist will be out by then or Bungie wants people to really use the AA's.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Major Williams said:
The canon is something that is taken seriously. They have a few people whose entire job is to ensure the parity of the canon.

This was brought up last night during a few games. The game seemed to initially attempt to adapt the EU (Expanded Universe) with the Spartan III's and Dr Halsey within it's framework but there are clear instances of pretty much black and white differences. The Halsey Journal does a great job of trying to wrap the game's fiction into the established canon by expanding on a few other topics too, particularly with Halo Wars.

If you look back, I was warning folks before the game hit that Reach would tear the fiction and canon apart on a scale greater than Halo Wars did (and Halo Wars is still heavily criticised by fans due some parts in it where it contradicted canon). And while the Halsey Journal ties many things together, the end result isn't much changed - there are gaping plot holes aplenty in the aftermath of Reach.

I am 100% certain that 343i are aware of the inconsistencies and going forward it will be them, not Bungie that have the responsibility of tidying up the universe.

Also, I am not blaming Bungie at all for "ruining" the fiction. Reach is a great game, Bungie knocked it out of the park, and nothing will take away from that. Huge multimedia franchises have these issues all the time and Halo, as a multimedia franchise, is relatively young. These issues will be sorted and smoothed over.

Aggrotek

ChocholateMILK said:
Me thinks they are putting in the MLG playlist in the early October update.

If they don't do it by then, then.....I'm screwed. I always voted for Slayer Pro and won about 80% of my games.

Either MLG playlist will be out by then or Bungie wants people to really use the AA's.
Really irritates me, especially in doubles. People whore Camo, and jetpack to hide. I swear, people are so stupid. You don't even get a good rating if you camp.

hank_tree said:
Just finished this on Legendary solo. The final level actually wasn't so bad. I had a tougher time on Nightfall and Exodus.
I'm going to need to steel myself more before I can even think of attempting that solo.

Heroic solo was easy for the most part, but I just started split-screening with my brother on Legendary and the very first bunch of Elites wiped the floor with us for a good half an hour.

Whenever we managed to drop one of their shields, the bugger would evade away and the other two would block him while unleashing withering covering fire. We died. Alot. We finally managed to completely surround them and organize our attacks better to drop them.

I loved just every minute of it. (except the multiple deaths behind cover from explosive splash damage. That stuff is annoying.)

NH Apache said:
My guess would be to prep for a MLG playlist.

Edit: Dammit Milk. I'm lactose intolerant.

LOL sorry bro

Aggrotek said:
Really irritates me, especially in doubles. People whore Camo, and jetpack to hide. I swear, people are so stupid. You don't even get a good rating if you camp.

I hate it too.

Aggrotek said:
Again, having a 'good' rating doesn't matter. The game doesn't know what a 'good' rating is. If you are playing doubles and they go 2-0 with a kill each and then hide the rest of the game, they improve.

Hey You

Raide said:
I stopped watching the videos on the Comm Chatter around the release ODST.

Absinthe

ChocholateMILK said:
Probably the AA's. Why put them in the game if they're not part of ranked matches? I'm not a huge fan of all the AA's but it makes the gameplay much more diverse.

forrest

formerly nacire
My friend and I can't ever connect to Doubles Arena, it just keeps resetting the search after finding players. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I can do to make it stop happening?

Kuroyume

Banned
Why is SWAT getting its own list and not snipers? Snipers is even more annoying. At the very least take Countdown out of there. It's like making a 4 vs 4 shotgun only game on Hemorrhage with no secondary weapons, vehicles, and sprint. Countdown is a close quaters map. It doesn't make any sense.

Hey You said:
I stopped watching the videos on the Comm Chatter around the release ODST.
The waypoint clips of the day are even worse. Takes longer to buffer them up then to actually watch them.

Trasher said:
Hit the cR cap for the day. :(
What exactly is the daily cR cap? Not that I'll ever reach it. Is it one flat amount or does it scale? Just curious.

akmcbroom said:
Probably the AA's. Why put them in the game if they're not part of ranked matches? I'm not a huge fan of all the AA's but it makes the gameplay much more diverse.

That doesn't mean better though. The best players will use the best AA's (sprint) and many players who follow those "best players" will use that AA and so on.

Get the idea?

Trasher

NullPointer said:
What exactly is the daily cR cap? Not that I'll ever reach it. Is it one flat amount or does it scale? Just curious.
Not sure to be honest. I'd say I've only gotten 30,000-40,000 today. Only leveled up one Grade too.

I'm guessing it does it based on how much you get in a certain window of time.

What sucks about it for me is that I got a commendation level-up that is now wasted I think. :(

Edit: You know what, I apologize. I'm wrong. I forgot I started out "today" technically as a Captain Grade 3. I finished that off which was probably 15,000 to get to Major, and then I got to Major Grade 1 which was another 25,000 or so. So I would guess I did about 50,000-60,000 in one day.

Jtwo said:
Arena is awesome.
It's the most consistent Reach experience.

Except when you sometimes lose Sprint.

And the radar.

And the double rockets on Boardwalk.

And the ridiculous sniper/shotgun timers on Asylum.

And the space-camping on Zealot.

And the roof-camping on Asylum.

And grenade spam.

But otherwise, yeah, it's the best playlist.

Should be:
Slayer DMRs: DMR/pistol, regular AAs, two grenades, radar.
Slayer Pro: DMR/pistol, Sprint-only, one grenade, no radar.

Won't be, though.

Trasher said:
Not sure to be honest. I'd say I've only gotten 30,000-40,000 today. Only leveled up one Grade too.

I'm guessing it does it based on how much you get in a certain window of time.
Only? :lol

Wish I had more free time :(

Dani said:
This was brought up last night during a few games. The game seemed to initially attempt to adapt the EU (Expanded Universe) with the Spartan III's and Dr Halsey within it's framework but there are clear instances of pretty much black and white differences. The Halsey Journal does a great job of trying to wrap the game's fiction into the established canon by expanding on a few other topics too, particularly with Halo Wars.

If you look back, I was warning folks before the game hit that Reach would tear the fiction and canon apart on a scale greater than Halo Wars did (and Halo Wars is still heavily criticised by fans due some parts in it where it contradicted canon). And while the Halsey Journal ties many things together, the end result isn't much changed - there are gaping plot holes aplenty in the aftermath of Reach.

I am 100% certain that 343i are aware of the inconsistencies and going forward it will be them, not Bungie that have the responsibility of tidying up the universe.

Also, I am not blaming Bungie at all for "ruining" the fiction. Reach is a great game, Bungie knocked it out of the park, and nothing will take away from that. Huge multimedia franchises have these issues all the time and Halo, as a multimedia franchise, is relatively young. These issues will be sorted and smoothed over.
Yeah, they knocked it out of the park gameplay and visual-wise. Story? Really? You think they knocked the story out of the park?
Jorge's death, Pillar of Autumn issues, empty characters, all kinds of UNSC military tactical errors that don't fit into the general intelligence of the UNSC in the EU

They sure did create something that has some really amazing and golden jewels (like the Journal, some of the audio logs in the Multiplayer maps, and all of New Alexandria), but they sure did mess some things up as well. I feel bad for 343i in a lot of ways, but I will continue to support them until they prove that they blatantly don't care for the canon any more.

FrankT

Kuroyume said:
Btw, anyone know a place to get a good deal for Gold? That deal on the dash disappeared. D:

$40.77 on Amazon atm. Likely the best retail deal to be seen for awhile.

Oh yea game is addicting. I don't even play multi, lots of single though, but the firefight online or even solo score attack is great.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Alright me and a guest...time to fire up the old multi-team.

Game 1: SWAT
Game 2: SWAT
Game 3: SWAT
Game 4: Slayer
Game 5: SWAT

True story.

Also SWAT on Pinnacle multi-team has the worst spawns ever. Worse than you could possibly imagine. I mean, die before you even take a step. It's that bad.

I know Bungie is taking it out of TS and BTB, but if it's still in MT I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok well it's definitely NOT because of Armor Abilities.

THE MLG GAMETYPES USE ARMOR ABLILTIES. THERE ARE NO LOADOUTS, THEY ARE PICKUPS ON THE MAP.

NH Apache

Banned
panda21 said:
hey invasion is pretty fun

is it just boneyard and spire?

I believe so. There will be some pretty awesome Forge World ones tho. I believe Mik2121 did one that we played in customs last week.

On a side note, my armor has yet to update on Bungie.net. Extreme sadface.

ElRenoRaven

There is something to be said for armor locking on elite slayer with two enemies standing right next to me. Sure they kill me but they fail to notice the sticky grenade I just dropped at their feet. :D

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
Holy moley. Now I'm positive I'll never ever hit that cap. :lol

Thanks for the details though.
It's about what I have, total. Holy crap, people! 0_o

(Though, if all the time I spent on Forge counted for serious cR, I'd be filthy rich as well.)

Trasher said:
Testing...
You are clear to post now.

I'd just like to point out that this thread was posted one day and change ago, and we're over 1,000 posts in. We're keeping that 1k posts per day pace. Absurd. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom