• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safe Bet said:
Well I first posted Master Chief is the highest Enlisted Rank but was then reminded Sergeants are also in the "halo universe" so I left the only part of the quote I hoped was canon.

It would be cool if Master Chiefs were an elect few and 117 was the last reaming one alive (explaining why everyone knows who "Master Chief" is) at the time the game's story occurs..

Master Chief is Navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Chief_Petty_Officer

Sergeants in the games are Marines or Army, depending on the game.

Sean

Banned
This wraith on Pillar of Autumn (Legendary Solo) is really pissing me off.

Emile got stuck or something, he's just standing at the bottom of the broken bridge, so no help from him at all. I take out all the grunts, skirmishers, most of the jackals and brutes… only to get hit by the fucking wraith mortar. Argh.. This is probably the easy part of the level too I'm guessing? :(

Sean said:

Emile got stuck or something, he's just standing at the bottom of the broken bridge, so no help from him at all. I take out all the grunts, skirmishers, most of the jackals and brutes… only to get hit by the fucking wraith mortar. Argh.. This is probably the easy part of the level too I'm guessing? :(

Hide behind the truck near the broken building at the top of that section, wraith mortar never hit me there, and take out footsoldiers. Get rockets from broken building and boost down the right hand side. There will be a wall between you and the wraith, jump out fire rocket and duck behind again. Should take about 3 rockets to kill.

zumphry

Banned
Sean said:

Later in the level,
I once got him to be tossed off by one of the Hunters
, but most of the time he was back in the factory, having some space smoothies with the troopers while waxing his skull face.

And yeah. This is the "easy" part (Legendary Solo). Have fun with the section I talked about and beyond.

Tashi0106 said:
Ok well it's definitely NOT because of Armor Abilities.

THE MLG GAMETYPES USE ARMOR ABLILTIES. THERE ARE NO LOADOUTS, THEY ARE PICKUPS ON THE MAP.

I was so shocked and elated when I heard that.

It's a pretty cool compromise between people like me, that want the complete sanbox experience and all the tactical wrinkles that go with it, and the purists who want to strip the layers away. Very smart and progressive thinking, which is weird for MLG.

Conflict NZ said:
Hide behind the truck near the broken building at the top of that section, wraith mortar never hit me there, and take out footsoldiers. Get rockets from broken building and boost down the right hand side. There will be a wall between you and the wraith, jump out fire rocket and duck behind again. Should take about 3 rockets to kill.

This is a perfect example of why Halo on Legendary is bullshit, and why I laugh everytime somebody tells me 'oh, it's the way it was MEANT to be played.' Yeah, instead of actively participating in battles, thinking on the fly, reacting to the enemies and hot-swapping weapons on the fly, we're stuck looking for small AI exploits to try and just get past the super-powered enemies with perfect aim. Lame. That difficulty setting has always been garbage unless you're in a group of 4.

Fuck that achievement. I'll wear the empty space on my Halo: Reach achievement wall as a badge of honor.

Is there a reason my Spartan duder hasn't updated on B.net since launch week?

Also, sorry to any GAFers who tried to contact me on Live. My Xbox is still acting really wonky and I've been leaving it on in fear of getting red rings again. :lol

GhaleonEB

IMG_3968.jpg

Today's mail. It was a good day for mail.

I just had the wackiest game on Spire ever, I can literally think of 5 events that you wouldnt normally see - all happening to me in that one game. Stuff like jacking a hog gunner, whos driver proceeds to drive to the edge of the map and drive off (while I kill his teammates on the way) - but I cooly just jetpack back and let him die. :lol Then going up to the top of the spire and literally jumping off the top and hijackacking a falcon with a enemy gunner in it, who then gets sniped by a teammate. :lol

Literally crazy stuff was happening within minuites, that was just the tip of the iceberg, I dont think my Reach experiance will ever top that.

All the Forge talk from Mancannon has me excited. As many of my XBL GAF friends know, I spend almost all my time in Forge. I've probably spent over 48 hours in Forge alone. I wish there was a way to track it.

bobs99 ... said:
I just had the wackiest game on Spire ever, I can literally think of 5 events that you wouldnt normally see - all happening to me in that one game. Stuff like jacking a hog gunner, whos driver proceeds to drive to the edge of the map and drive off (while I kill his teammates on the way) - but I cooly just jetpack back and let him die. :lol Then going up to the top of the spire and literally jumping off the top and hijackacking a falcon with a enemy gunner in it, who then gets sniped by a teammate. :lol

Literally crazy stuff was happening within minuites, that was just the tip of the iceberg, I dont think my Reach experiance will ever top that.

That's why Spire is fucking awesome...

I really hope we get another Invasion map in the next DLC pipeline.

And damn you Luke Smith for ruining my productivity. I gotta get to Major so I can get my super cool patrol chestplate...

zlatko

Banned
Victrix said:
That's odd, I've had the opposite experience. My spawns have generally been quite good, and I've rarely been spawn killed quickly.

What's strange though, is that while I can't recall too many instances where I went 'fucking spawn' ala MW2, I have seen other people get horribly shitty spawns. I can think of several instances where people spawned in my line of sight and not very far away.

Or in my line of sight and far away in SWAT, which may as well be the same thing (I'm sure the guy who I headshot after he took two steps wasn't a fan of the spawn)

I noticed this too, Halo 3 screenshotted really well. Reach screenshots are hardly bad, and the game looks incredible, but they don't seem quite as impressive as I remember H3 being (I would still check the H3 screenshot thread from time to time and it was still impressive ages later).

My friends I play with mention it a lot how awful my luck is on spawns. Yesterday in one game where it was horrible I started just saying in my headset to friends,"1.2.dead" I'd count how long I'd have after a spawn, and I had 4 in a row where I couldn't make it to 4 seconds once, and then I'd get a normal spawn.

I suppose in Modern Warfare 2 I didn't notice spawns, because all I play is Hardcore Search and Destroy. I haven't found a gametype that clicks with me just as much as that does in MW2 where I can play it non stop and have fun.

I'm a big fan of game types that give you 1 life a round and you make the best use of it as you can. That's probably why I do spend as much time in Infection as I can, but stuff like this keeps me from enjoying it:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3497328&player=Outlaw Slevin

I'm the blue guy who came up. :/ This is the luck I am handed out game in, game out.

dslgunstar said:

It's a pretty cool compromise between people like me, that want the complete sanbox experience and all the tactical wrinkles that go with it, and the purists who want to strip the layers away. Very smart and progressive thinking, which is weird for MLG.

This is a perfect example of why Halo on Legendary is bullshit, and why I laugh everytime somebody tells me 'oh, it's the way it was MEANT to be played.' Yeah, instead of actively participating in battles, thinking on the fly, reacting to the enemies and hot-swapping weapons on the fly, we're stuck looking for small AI exploits to try and just get past the super-powered enemies with perfect aim. Lame. That difficulty setting has always been garbage unless you're in a group of 4.

Fuck that achievement. I'll wear the empty space on my Halo: Reach achievement wall as a badge of honor.
The only level I had a problem on Legendary was The Pillar of Autumn. The rest are forgiving as fuck.

"Oh, I'll move to this corner for cover."
*CHECKPOINT*
"I'll move a few feet now!:
*CHECKPOINT*
"Yay I got me a checkpoint, now time to try some dumb shit and see if that works!"
*DIE*
"Good thing I gots a checkpoint!"

Most of the levels took me like 45-minutes each. The last level took me two hours because I was attempting to rush through it, being impatient like. I rather enjoyed Reach on Legendary, now that I think about it. :lol

I wonder how many people would bother beating the game on Legendary solo if there wasn't an achievement. My guess is not many. That just sounds more like a brutal, soul-crushing grind and less like a fun challenge.

MrBig

Neuromancer said:
I wonder how many people would bother beating the game on Legendary solo if there wasn't an achievement. My guess is not many. That just sounds more like a brutal, soul-crushing grind and less like a fun challenge.
It was actually about easy as halo 3, if not easier. Until the last room of the last level of course.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
dslgunstar said:

I was very shocked too. Also I put it in capitals like that so everyone could read it and so there wasn't any spread of misinformation.

Anyway, the gametypes play pretty well with them. They're not incredibly powerful like the Rockets are but used in smart ways they can prove to be very useful.

Neuromancer said:
Solo legendary is pretty fun for me. Gotta be really careful though. The only level I've had trouble with was recently with the jetpack level on New Alexandria. Those brutes are ruthless. I like a good challenging game so maybe that's just me.

MrBig said:
It was actually about easy as halo 3, if not easier. Until the last room of the last level of course.
Interesting tidbit:

Those Elites you fight in that room? Same group that attacked you waayy back in Winter Contingency. The Field Marshall there is the only one in the game. Guess which Elite nearly cut Jorge's head off in the cutscene?

Neuromancer said:
I do not think it was soul-crushing or brutal at all... I had a lot of fun with it and will likely play through it on Legendary again.

It's a lot more rewarding being challenged by a game then being able to just walk right through every enemy you encounter. Sure the Hunters are a bit tough to handle but besides that I cannot think of one encounter/area that really bothered me.

This campaign was one of the more enjoyable ones in the series, second only to Halo:CE.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Neuromancer said:
I know I wouldn't have.

I'm glad I did though. Whilst it was frustrating at times, for the most part I really enjoyed it.

Red

Thagomizer said:
Interesting tidbit:

Those Elites you fight in that room? Same group that attacked you waayy back in Winter Contingency. The Field Marshall there is the only one in the game. Guess which Elite nearly cut Jorge's head off in the cutscene?
Is that also the one who
shoots Kat
?

Do agree that Spire is a fun map for shenanigans. In an BTB game there stole an enemy Falcon then flew up to maximum height to abandon ship and watched it fall into the ocean while I happily jetpacked back down to solid earth.
In my opinion Invasion Slayer on Hemorrhage is majorly unfair depending on initial capture zones, especially as elites lack any real long range weapons in their initial loadouts.

WaltJay

Thanks to everyone for the advice posted for the Pillar of Autumn level.

Quick aside: My save file magically disappeared, so I couldn't resume my game, so I had to start from Rally Point Bravo (more on that later).

The very end wasn't bad at all. I took my time and cleared the room, then just waited for Keyes to say, "Shoot the ship", took the shot, game over.

What fucking sucks beyond all belief is that even after finishing the Lone Wolf mission, I didn't get my achievement for finishing the game on Heroic. So I look at the Pillar of Autumn level, and it says I didn't finish that level, but it shows I finished Lone Wolf, which is odd.

A quick search on Bungie.net let me know I'm SOL. Since I couldn't resume my game save for whatever reason and started from a checkpoint, it didn't count. WHAT-THE-FUCK! I need to start the PoA mission all over again, from the very beginning in order to get credit. Thanks Bungie for fucking up whatever enjoyment I had left from the single player campaign. This shit is turning into a job!

But thanks to everyone for the advice; worked perfectly. :D

Veelk

Banned
I have a very minor complaint I wish to submit.

Does anyone else feel that the sentences telling you whats going on take up too much space?

Look at this screenshot:

ae9mr8.jpg

It actually goes as far as to take up a part of my retinal. There have been some situations in other games where I died because I didn't spot the enemy firs. Why? Because they were a hidden behind this strip of text. Has anyone else had this issue, or am I the only one?

GhaleonEB

Doodis said:
How's the Reach guide? I need to spend my $20 Gamestop gift card on something.
Just flipped through it, but its fantastic. The 90-page art gallery at the end is worth the price of admission alone.

Trasher

Generic said:

Does anyone else feel that the sentences telling you whats going on take up too much space?

Look at this screenshot:

It actually goes as far as to take up a part of my retinal. There have been some situations in other games where I died because I didn't spot the enemy firs. Why? Because they were a hidden behind this strip of text. Has anyone else had this issue, or am I the only one?
Time to upgrade your TV I think.

Generic said:

Look at this screenshot:

ae9mr8.jpg

There are so many issues with the HUD; I try to let the whole thing just wash over me like an translucent aqua wave.

forrest

formerly nacire
nacire said:
My friend and I can't ever connect to Doubles Arena, it just keeps resetting the search after finding players. Anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening and what I can do to make it stop happening?

Quoting myself as the thread is moving along pretty quickly. Anyone have any ideas?

WaltJay said:
What fucking sucks beyond all belief is that even after finishing the Lone Wolf mission, I didn't get my achievement for finishing the game on Heroic. So I look at the Pillar of Autumn level, and it says I didn't finish that level, but it shows I finished Lone Wolf, which is odd.

A quick search on Bungie.net let me know I'm SOL. Since I couldn't resume my game save for whatever reason and started from a checkpoint, it didn't count. WHAT-THE-FUCK! I need to start the PoA mission all over again, from the very beginning in order to get credit. Thanks Bungie for fucking up whatever enjoyment I had left from the single player campaign. This shit is turning into a job!
[/spoiler]
That sucks man. =\

Veelk

Banned
Trasher said:
Time to upgrade your TV I think.
Ha. Yeah, no kidding. Been trying to do so for the last few months, but you know, shit happens and there are medical bills to pay.

Neuromancer said:
There are so many issues with the HUD; I try to let the whole thing just wash over me like an translucent aqua wave.

You think so? I just have the one I mentioned. I'd like to hear what else you think is wrong. I think it's pretty much perfect otherwise.

MrBig

Generic said:

Look at this screenshot:

ae9mr8.jpg

They take up maybe a fifth or sixth of my screen. Time to upgrade your tv buddy

Trasher

Generic said:
Ha. Yeah, no kidding. Been trying to do so for the last few months, but you know, shit happens and there are medical bills to pay.
I don't know how I lasted as long as I did on standard definition. I just upgraded to an HDTV for Reach.

Veelk

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
What kind of TV/Resolution are you playing on?

The text doesn't get anywhere near the retical while I am playing..

OSjPn.jpg

My TV is one of the very first HDTV's. It doesn't even have a port for HDMI so I need to use composite cables. It's supposedly capable of 720p, which is what I'm supposedly playing at, but there is a very clear difference between my screenshot and others, so I don't know. But the text only bothers me when "VERY LONG NAME was killed with a headshot by VERY LONG NAME2". The text in your pic shows up similarly on my screen and doesn't bother me.

ElRenoRaven

Neuromancer said:

I would. I beat Halo 1, 3, and ODST on Legendary. I've been working on Halo 2 for years now. I'm to the High Charity level. lol

Red

Generic said:
My TV is one of the very first HDTV's. It doesn't even have a port for HDMI so I need to use composite cables. It's supposedly capable of 720p, which is what I'm supposedly playing at, but there is a very clear difference between my screenshot and others, so I don't know. But the text only bothers me when "VERY LONG NAME was killed with a headshot by VERY LONG NAME2". The text in your pic shows up similarly on my screen and doesn't bother me.
You aren't playing at 720p.

If it is an HDTV you should at least have the option of component. Are you sure it's not an EDTV?

zumphry

Banned
Nice, kills with the sword in Zombies counts as two close quarters kills, and I think I found a group willing to do just zombies.

If I was seriously playing now, I'd be pissed though.:lol

Veelk

Banned
Crunched said:
You aren't playing at 720p.

If it is an HDTV you should at least have the option of component. Are you sure it's not an EDTV?
Apologies, I did mean Component cables. My mistake.

Alucrid

Banned
ZayneH said:
Nice, kills with the sword in Zombies counts as two close quarters kills, and I think I found a group willing to do just zombies.

If I was seriously playing now, I'd be pissed though.:lol

Yeah, I did those games for CQC kills and the 10 games. They tend to go by fast...though 10 games seems to take forever. I can definitely get Captain tomorrow, I'm feeling it, I know it...I must.

Red

Generic said:
Apologies, I did mean Component cables. My mistake.
Regardless of that, your screenshot shows a 4:3 aspect ratio. 720p is 16:9. You have the "HD" switch toggled on those cables? You've probably checked all this already, but what does your 360 say it's displaying as?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Trasher said:
Well that was over a total of about 12 hours I'd say, and it was also two days worth of challenges. I was mainly playing multiplayer though. Just did Firefight/Campaign for challenges. I didn't really sleep because I haven't been feeling well so I just played Reach all day haha. I also did this for the first time which gave me 18,000 in about 30-45 minutes.

12 hours?! :lol Don't you have something to do during the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom