• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chorazin said:
I changed my Spartan to Purple last night, and then promptly played only Team Slayer last night. Doh!

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. I managed to grab a shot from multi-team, though, where I ended up on purple team... as an elite, so no armor customization or anything. Sigh.

Here it is anyway, Sai-Kun :)

(click to go to the shot on b.net)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Unfortunately, I don't agree. Legendary was disappointingly "easy" in this game =\

I would definitely agree that Reach has the 'easiest' Legendary, but that 'easy' is still damned hard. I think the lack of the Flood makes it a hell of a lot easier and the Brutes not having shields is a welcome relief as well. Reach is the only Halo game I have completed on Legendary, so it goes to show how much easier it is!

Jedeye Sniv said:
I would definitely agree that Reach has the 'easiest' Legendary, but that 'easy' is still damned hard. I think the lack of the Flood makes it a hell of a lot easier and the Brutes not having shields is a welcome relief as well. Reach is the only Halo game I have completed on Legendary, so it goes to show how much easier it is!

I think Halo 3's Legendary was pretty easy. I always turned on at least Thunderstorm, Catch and Touch Luck whenever I played. It's kind of a cakewalk otherwise outside of the usual suspect sections.

Chorazin said:
Holy fuck that is the best name for a challenge yet, provided it was supposed to be an allusion to the House of Leaves novel.

The "88" kills part of it seems to indicate that it is a reference to Kill Bill which in turn may have referenced any number of things/novels/plays.

These challenges are great. Love the pistol. Kind of hoping that instead of "double credit weekends" we get "double challenge weekends". With 8 dailies instead of 4.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thagomizer said:
I think Halo 3's Legendary was pretty easy. I always turned on at least Thunderstorm, Catch and Touch Luck whenever I played. It's kind of a cakewalk otherwise outside of the usual suspect sections.

:O

I might have to give it another try then. I remember having my ass handed to me on a plate on Tsavo Highway. Or maybe I should give it a while and try and get a GAF group together for some nostalgia co-op.

Gui_PT

Jedeye Sniv said:

You can get through most of the game quite easily if you pace yourself. But hey, at least we have skulls to make things more challenging.

Bregmann Roche said:
The "88" kills part of it seems to indicate that it is a reference to Kill Bill which in turn may have referenced any number of things/novels/plays.

These challenges are great. Love the pistol. Kind of hoping that instead of "double credit weekends" we get "double challenge weekends". With 8 dailies instead of 4.

Uhm, no. Some of us have things to do, other than gaming.

Lunchbox

Banned
hey bungle put multiplayer challenges on, nooooo one cares about campaign and firefight.

put weekly challenges as 1000 kills in ranked matches, 10,000 crs

GhaleonEB

I was hoping b.net was just running behind, but the 33.5k Score Attack game I played last night isn't there - I might as well have not played it. My best game on that mode ever. It's a little thing, but it really bums me out. Bungie.net hates me. :(
Lunchbox said:
hey bungle put multiplayer challenges on, nooooo one cares about campaign and firefight.
I don't play multiplayer, so I'm glad to see these. Though, today's set would have been nice last week so I could have knocked off the Weekly Challenge as well.

TommyT

Gui_PT said:
You can get through most of the game quite easily if you pace yourself. But hey, at least we have skulls to make things more challenging.

Uhm, no. Some of us have things to do, other than gaming.

lol you wouldn't know it according to the way some people are around here... Or their ranks... :lol

TommyT

Neuromancer said:
:lol

Keep 'em coming Bungie, keep 'em coming.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't play multiplayer, so I'm glad to see these. Though, today's set would have been nice last week so I could have knocked off the Weekly Challenge as well.

I wonder if we'll ever have the option of something that is like faux customization for challenges. For those that prefer to never play firefight or campaign again, they can "suggest" that only certain challenges are coming their way and vice-versa. I guess this would cause there to be a pool of challenges and based on a players preference those would be the 4 (of say 8 or 12) that are given to a person to challenge them.

Lunchbox said:
hey bungle put multiplayer challenges on, I don't care about campaign and firefight.

put weekly challenges as 1000 kills in ranked matches, 10,000 crs
fixed that for you, and I'm so happy to hear that you only have interest in one aspect of the game.

GhaleonEB said:
I was hoping b.net was just running behind, but the 33.5k Score Attack game I played last night isn't there - I might as well have not played it. My best game on that mode ever. It's a little thing, but it really bums me out. Bungie.net hates me. :(

Holy shit, this was done solo?! How?!?!?

TommyT

squidhands said:

Someone mentioned something similar in upwards of 40k. I believe this was done with a Wraith. Then again, I don't think he was solo, but one would think it could still be done :O ?!

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
On the Mythic playlist, which might have bumped the score a bit. But I didn't die until the Elite wave at the end, and got a string of triple and overkills on both the Jackals and Skirmishers. Three triples on the Skirmishers were worth 1500+ each.

TommyT said:
I wonder if we'll ever have the option of something that is like faux customization for challenges. For those that prefer to never play firefight or campaign again, they can "suggest" that only certain challenges are coming their way and vice-versa. I guess this would cause there to be a pool of challenges and based on a players preference those would be the 4 (of say 8 or 12) that are given to a person to challenge them.

That would be extremely cool. I like the idea of having a list of challenges to select for the day. Adds strategy/time management to the otherwise standard game session. Do I choose the four challenges with the highest cR? Or do I choose the 4 that most closely fit what I was planning on doing during that gaming session anyways?

As for Firefight/Campaign challenges in general: I'm going to play matchmaking for x number of hours a week anyways, adding challenges to the Firefight/Campaign experience seems to be giving me that extra little motivation to play those modes. I'm glad it does because I've been having a blast in both. Standing on Jun's head in Nightfall and seeing how far through the level he will take you is fantastic. Does he get a wheelman when I snipe somebody from his shoulders? He should.

TommyT said:
I'd be fine with something like this but it'd probably be too late to implement. Also if it wasn't for reasonable multiplayer challenges, I'd probably never play it so I'm fine with the way things are now. Gets me motivated to play something I ordinarily wouldn't.

Sai-kun

Banned
Firefight challenges today? Hell yeah. Awesome :D

Edit: Oops, forgot to thank you guys for the new pictures! You're all awesome as usual :)

Dirtbag

So having missed the initial reveal, has there been anymore news on the mappack?
Any write-ups on the maps anywhere? Really curious to read about the new forge map - tempest. It didn't look like a forge map to me (lighting and geometry wise), wondering if there is an entirely different section to forge into and the geometry we are seeing is locked into the landscape and not able to be deleted nor affecting the budget.

Birbo

Fuck! I think I got myself stuck in a level of the campaign that I can't get past.

I'm playing Pillar of Autumn on Legendary, which is apparently much harder for me than the rest of you. :lol Anyway, I've fought my way to the cannon, but sprinted past the last few Elites to do so. Now my checkpoint starts with me at the cannon; If I hop on the cannon, the Elites kill me from behind. If I engage the Elites, I get over-run with Covenant ships. I so don't want to start the level over. Am I fucked?

GhaleonEB said:

I think it's because you can't view leaderboards for the Mythic Score Attack yet (Crash Site is still listed, but not Mythic yet). IIRC, in the last BWU they said they were going to have to reset the leaderboards anyway. I had assumed it would have been on Tuesday when the playlist update went live but that doesn't appear to be the case. In any event you should still see the game played in your history.

Edit: I don't see it on your games history, or any Mythic Score Attack games for that matter.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dirtbag said:
So having missed the initial reveal, has there been anymore news on the mappack?
Any write-ups on the maps anywhere? Really curious to read about the new forge map - tempest. It didn't look like a forge map to me (lighting and geometry wise), wondering if there is an entirely different section to forge into and the geometry we are seeing is locked into the landscape and not able to be deleted nor affecting the budget.

Looks like you can Forge on Tempest as amazingly as you could Forge on Sandrtrap and Valhalla in Halo 3. =)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Birbo said:
Fuck! I think I got myself stuck in a level of the campaign that I can't get past.

I'm playing Pillar of Autumn on Legendary, which is apparently much harder for me than the rest of you. :lol Anyway, I've fought my way to the cannon, but sprinted past the last few Elites to do so. Now my checkpoint starts with me at the cannon; If I hop on the cannon, the Elites kill me from behind. If I engage the Elites, I get over-run with Covenant ships. I so don't want to start the level over. Am I fucked?

Restart, you screwed yourself.

Miggytronz

Birbo said:

just wait til Colonel Holland gives you the goto on shooting the covy ship, jump up on the cannon and shoot the redish area of the Cruiser. done.

ShinAmano

Birbo said:

I would run out of the building if possible and try to grab a plasma pistol and handle your business.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mikasangelos said:
just wait til Colonel Holland gives you the goto on shooting the covy ship, jump up on the cannon and shoot the redish area of the Cruiser. done.

He can't do that, he's pinned between ships and elites.

Dark FaZe said:
How long are bungie going to ignore how fuckin broken armor lock is?

It's easy to ignore something that isn't broken.

GhaleonEB said:
On the Mythic playlist, which might have bumped the score a bit. But I didn't die until the Elite wave at the end, and got a string of triple and overkills on both the Jackals and Skirmishers. Three triples on the Skirmishers were worth 1500+ each.
Wow, hat's off to you for being able to survive that long. I couldn't keep the Brutes away from me and after I died the first time, the fuckers stood over all the Nerfle ammo. :-\

Louis Wu

Birbo said:

Not completely.
You've got two choices: you can run down into the structure (away from the elites), and hope they follow; circle back around in time to jump in the cannon and kill the big ship. Or... you can kill yourself in quick sucession 4 or 5 times, and you'll be dropped back one checkpoint. No need to start from scratch.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Louis Wu said:
Not completely.
You've got two choices: you can run down into the structure (away from the elites), and hope they follow; circle back around in time to jump in the cannon and kill the big ship. Or... you can kill yourself in quick sucession 4 or 5 times, and you'll be dropped back one checkpoint. No need to start from scratch.

Mind blown, I didn't know it actually reset you a checkpoint if you get stuck like that.

Dirtbag

Dani said:
Looks like you can Forge on Tempest as amazingly as you could Forge on Sandrtrap and Valhalla in Halo 3. =)
"Go outside the canyon."

They describe it as a massive forge pallet, I'm putting my bets on something similar to a forge world with a few different forgeable areas.

The default layout of Tempest looks amazing to me already. The main map looks badass.

Louis Wu said:
Not completely.

Good to know!

Chorazin

Birbo said:

I wonder why you didn't just kill those Elites with the PP + DMR combo....

EDIT: Beaten

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Wow, hat's off to you for being able to survive that long. I couldn't keep the Brutes away from me and after I died the first time, the fuckers stood over all the Nerfle ammo. :-\
I was about to link to the 30k game I just had, but it's not on Bungie.net. :(

Urk, you or anyone there know what's happening? It's rapidly getting to the point where half my content doesn't land on Bungie.net.

Alienshogun said:
It's easy to ignore something that isn't broken.

There is no delay time on the thing whatsoever. I've got more of an issue with the fact that it has a moment of invincibility where they can actually get one or two dmr shots out of it before they are even vulnerable.

Is there any news on MLG playlists possibility coming up in ranked ever?

Birbo

Louis Wu said:
Not completely.
Or... you can kill yourself in quick sucession 4 or 5 times, and you'll be dropped back one checkpoint. No need to start from scratch.

A buddy of mine mentioned this, but I thought he was just talking out of his ass. :lol Thanks for the info. Trying that when I get home tonight.

GhaleonEB said:

Urk, you or anyone there know what's happening? It's rapidly getting to the point where half my content doesn't land on Bungie.net.
I had played a match in FFA and got 42kills and won the match. But the match was never uploaded to Bungie.net. And I dont know why :/

Birbo said:
A buddy of mine mentioned this, but I thought he was just talking out of his ass. :lol Thanks for the info. Trying that when I get home tonight.

Unfortunately, I don't think the checkpoint backtracking works if you have saved and quit, which sounds like the case. I may be wrong, but I think when you save and quit, the game only saves your most recent checkpoint and not a backup one-- it only does that during an active playthrough.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
I had played a match in FFA and got 42kills and won the match. But the match was never uploaded to Bungie.net. And I dont know why :/
There's definately some big problems. Halo 3 never had these kind of issues that I can recall, after the first few days. We're a month out from Reach's release and the b.net connection is the worst its been for me. I've played three Score Attack games since last night, and none of them are showing up.

At any rate, here was my finishing score just now for posterity since it really does seem to be gone for good:

riduhg.jpg

My opening solvo against the Grunts could have been better had I not gone for helmet dude to break the string, but it was still nice.

theultimo said:
Challenges for those who can't see them:

3500cR
Be Their Huckleberry
Kill 200 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking with the pistol.

1000cR
Blastin' and Relaxin'
Kill 90 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

1000cR
The House of Blue Leaves
Kill 88 enemies in a single Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic.

500cR
Above the Law
Complete a Round in Firefight Matchmaking without dying.

Firefight Day.

Appreciate it buddy!

I had the scoring bug happen to me in a game of BTB this morning. The ending game score said I had 11 kills, but the postgame carnage told me it was 20. Weird.

GhaleonEB said:

The one Mythic Score Attack game I played on Courtyard isn't showing up for me either. I've encountered a few bugs on bnet lately, especially when trying to look up leaderboard stuff. Hopefully it'll get ironed out soon, along with the player image bug (fortunately I still look relatively the same).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom