• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

Dark FaZe said:
I've got more of an issue with the fact that it has a moment of invincibility where they can actually get one or two dmr shots out of it before they are even vulnerable.
Shhhh don't speak of such things, it's been determined anything inherently wrong with the way Reach functions is due to latency and nothing else :lol

Willeth

So I'm trying to make an Infection variant but I'm missing something. When trying to play it in a custom game, it tells me my gametype and map are incompatible. What could I be missing?

EDIT Guess I need an inactive safe haven for it to work. Not all that intuitive.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do you get today's challenges just through 2 gruntpocalypses? It has to be through matchmaking, right? So it has to be with someone else? Or can you somehow do it alone?

Raide

I am Super Mario said:
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but how do you get today's challenges just through 2 gruntpocalypses? It has to be through matchmaking, right? So it has to be with someone else? Or can you somehow do it alone?

Score Attack.

ShinAmano

I am Super Mario said:
Select Score Attack...look for Gruntpocalypse.

Pete Rock said:
Shhhh don't speak of such things, it's been determined anything inherently wrong with the way Reach functions is due to latency and nothing else :lol

eyeroll. Half of the posts from the regulars in here is criticizing and complaining about the game

Gui_PT

Some kind soul please render this for me.

I've been having an unlucky day filled with quitters and teammates that don't really do anything.

But right at the last 10 seconds of my last match, I kill the core carrier, Ninja a guy and Ninja-board the falcon.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7346211&player=Monolith Gui

Also filmed from another angle(in case you want to check it out), which is also funny because the 1st guy that I Ninja'd could've easily killed me but he went for the assassination.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7346249&player=Monolith Gui

chess

A Halo Classic list would be amazing and save this game for me.

No abilities

Use only remakes with correct powerups/weapons placement
4v4 slayer and ctf

And no I don't mean MLG

rObit

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Some kind soul please render this for me.

I've been having an unlucky day filled with quitters and teammates that don't really do anything.

But right at the last 10 seconds of my last match, I kill the core carrier, Ninja a guy and Ninja-board the falcon.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7346211&player=Monolith Gui

Also filmed from another angle(in case you want to check it out), which is also funny because the 1st guy that I Ninja'd could've easily killed me but he went for the assassination.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=7346249&player=Monolith Gui

Done. :lol Looks like you've got eyes in the back of your head.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Finished up todays challenges and got a shitton of credits in my last game when I got a silver commendation too. It felt so good to whip out my DMR when I had finished the pistol challenge though, fucked those little grunty gits right up, aaaaah.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Custom-game halo gaf add me on xbox live : Kentpaul09

My head set is fucked the now but i love custom games :D

Willeth

I think I figured out the killcount bug.

Vehicles count as kills. If you kill a banshee with a guy in it, you'll get two kills, same as in ODST, but unlike ODST, it doesn't count for multikills.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Finished up todays challenges and got a shitton of credits in my last game when I got a silver commendation too. It felt so good to whip out my DMR when I had finished the pistol challenge though, fucked those little grunty gits right up, aaaaah.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Silver commendation and two of the challenges complete in one game = credit overload. I even DMR'd the crap out of the last wave :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
One thing I'm noticing about Reach is that the entire experience is less "solid" than other Halo games. Lots of little errors show up at the seams. There are tons of little bugs and tiny issues that on their own are fine, but they add up. And Reach has far more of them than H3 (although maybe less than H2), and it threatens the integrity of the Sandbox.

We've all seen videos of a ghost hitting a warthog or tank and flying off at 700 MPH, or a Revenant freaking out on Ghaleon's map, or people jumping off spire and surviving, etc etc.

Every time I see one of those videos I laugh. But in truth it isn't funny - every single one of these errors is the sandbox betraying the player. Halo games live & die by the integrity of the sandbox. Everything has physics. I'm reminded of the H3 video of the guy suiciding via a traffic cone dong to the head on The Pit. So when objects don't react the proper way, it's a major problem.

Other shooters don't have this problem, because they're scripted. Bungie is doing it the "hard" way - the REAL way. By making things like rockets actually exist in the play space and giving them physical properties. I respect them for that. But only if they can consistently get it right.

Halo games are always released so early in the holiday season. I can't help but think that an additional ~6 weeks of QA (releasing Oct 26 maybe) would have been good for the game. That still puts Halo two weeks in front of CoD.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
GDJustin said:
One thing I'm noticing about Reach is that the entire experience is less "solid" than other Halo games. Lots of little errors show up at the seams. There are tons of little bugs and tiny issues that on their own are fine, but they add up. And Reach has far more of them than H3 (although maybe less than H2), and it threatens the integrity of the Sandbox.

We've all seen videos of a ghost hitting a warthog or tank and flying off at 700 MPH, or a Revenant freaking out on Ghaleon's map, or people jumping off spire and surviving, etc etc.

Every time I see one of those videos I laugh. But in truth it isn't funny - every single one of these errors is the sandbox betraying the player. Halo games live & die by the integrity of the sandbox. Everything has physics. I'm reminded of the H3 video of the guy suiciding via a traffic cone dong to the head on The Pit. So when objects don't react the proper way, it's a major problem.

Other shooters don't have this problem, because they're scripted. Bungie is doing it the "hard" way - the REAL way. By making things like rockets actually exist in the play space and giving them physical properties. I respect them for that. But only if they can consistently get it right.

Halo games are always released so early in the holiday season. I can't help but think that an additional ~6 weeks of QA (releasing Oct 26 maybe) would have been good for the game. That still puts Halo two weeks in front of CoD.

There's been stuff like that back since Halo 2 when you could park a tank on the Zanzibar windmill and it would go flying once it hit the bridge. Halo 3 has it's share of weird physics as well. It's just stuff you can't account for or easily fix without screwing up everything else.

Glowingmonx said:

He does it the risky way, it's harder to bounce nades right next to you in reach since you're so slow to move you're likely to get hit by it.

Stuff like that wouldn't work against people who don't charge though. :p

GDJustin said:
Frankly I'd rather have had it when we had it. I have not encountered any horrendous bugs, these all sound like pretty isolated incidents.

chess said:
A Halo Classic list would be amazing and save this game for me.

No abilities

Use only remakes with correct powerups/weapons placement
4v4 slayer and ctf

And no I don't mean MLG

This I can get behind, maybe have it for BTB or something also, though sprint wouldn't be bad if it was the only ability. I was also thinking that maybe there should have been an option in custom games to remove reticule bloom also. That way you could truly play classic Halo.

TommyT

LAUGHTREY said:
He does it the risky way, it's harder to bounce nades right next to you in reach since you're so slow to move you're likely to get hit by it.

Stuff like that wouldn't work against people who don't charge though. :p

Sprint! What is the old saying: "Don't get greedy."

feel

Easiest and fastest to get group of dailies we will probably see for a good while

1zyg4ex.jpg

all it took for 6k

Played some Living Dead, it was very fun! I love separating myself from the cheap camping group of humans, and just walk around the map on my own, looking for zombies to kill, until I get cornered up, and have the final standoff against the incessant horde. Hell's Janitor get!

GhaleonEB

GDJustin said:

There's definitely a wider array of little issues than Halo 3 had. I think, given the scope of the feature set in Reach, that each one didn't have quite enough polish time. There's a host of very small issues in Forge that annoy, but don't break, the mode (objects still shift after saving, for instance); one of my maps was over-written by a map by a different name. There's the slowdown in campaign, some cinematics and on the Glacier Firefight map. Stuff isn't transferring to bungie.net, which is frustrating but in the case of Score Attack, literally undermines the entire purpose of the mode (imagine if CTF flag caps stopped registering).

And beyond that, the state of the multiplayer playlists were poor at release. I think Bungie clearly recognizes that and the first two playlist updates have both been very large, and very swift given their scope. It's good to see Bungie reacting to veto data, which is why I think so many of the updates have to do with stuff being removed (half of the last update was bad game types coming out, rather than going in). Game types continue to get refined so they play better.

But there's still nothing in the two MP modes that are of primary interest me - BTB and Invasion - that make me want to play. (I'll do a longer post on this later this week.) And my few excursions into the other playlists have been unpleasant due to how the maps and game types were configured, though some of those issues are getting ironed out.

For a different perspective, I imagine multiplayer hasn't been a good experience for new players. I'm starting to play every once in a while with someone I know from my wife's church. He played a bit of Halo 3, and picked up Reach planning to get into the multiplayer as he'd heard good things about it. And when we play together, the experience keeps being sub par. We did Firefight, and the games are often laggy or result in disconnects. We tried Team Slayer and got Snipers on Reflection. We did Team Objective and got CTF on the Sanctuary remake, with epic flag return times and flag at home to win (cue epic standoff). We did Invasion and have team mates quit out early so we get stomped in a most unpleasant manner. I showed him how to link his GT to Bungie.net, and now I'm imagining him wondering why many of his games don't show up in his Service Record. His first impression of multiplayer has been a steady string of "well that wasn't very good..." and it's mostly due to how the maps and game types are set up.

Some of those problems were fixed in the last playlist update, and hopefully more get ironed out soon. The last overhaul did much. But I'm still doing Campaign, Forge, Customs and Score Attack while I wait for the playlists and maps to get into a shape that I think I'll enjoy. And that wasn't the case with Halo 2 and Halo 3. Some aspects of the game just needed to cook a bit longer.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
LAUGHTREY said:
There's been stuff like that back since Halo 2 when you could park a tank on the Zanzibar windmill and it would go flying once it hit the bridge. Halo 3 has it's share of weird physics as well. It's just stuff you can't account for or easily fix without screwing up everything else.

Neuromancer said:
Frankly I'd rather have had it when we had it. I have not encountered any horrendous bugs, these all sound like pretty isolated incidents.

Well, it's anecdotal. But I've experienced more "weirdness" in Reach's first five weeks than I did in all of Halo 3, I think. The ONLY time I remember being fucked by a sandbox or physics error in H3 was some weird sword lunge issues. I'm sure more hardcore players can come in and rattle off a bunch of Halo 3 stuff... but it seems much more prevalent in Reach.

Bungie has always been synonymous with polish, and Reach seems less polished than H3 by far, in my opinion. When you have issues like weapons and vehicles not having matching respawn times on symmetrical maps, yet you choose to release your game in early September... it makes it harder to take Bungie's side. It's not really a defensible position.

Note that I'm not complaining about bloom, or armor effects, or any DESIGN decisions. Just objectively documented ERRORS and bugs. Reach just needed another polish pass.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yeah the whole weird thing going on with weapons that are limited on maps really really bothers me.

Like it makes sense for when I drop my gun that respawned in my base, that it will put theirs in their base on respawn right. Makes sense.

And some Design Decisions, like keeping blue spawn on Pinnacle and red spawn on Reflection more powerful is also lolarious. Lets remake the maps, and make sure to keep all the little imperfections on them.

Hugbot

GDJustin said:
Well, it's anecdotal. But I've experienced more "weirdness" in Reach's first five weeks than I did in all of Halo 3, I think. The ONLY time I remember being fucked by a sandbox or physics error in H3 was some weird sword lunge issues. I'm sure more hardcore players can come in and rattle off a bunch of Halo 3 stuff... but it seems much more prevalent in Reach.

Bungie has always been synonymous with polish, and Reach seems less polished than H3 by far, in my opinion. When you have issues like weapons and vehicles not having matching respawn times on symmetrical maps, yet you choose to release your game in early September... it makes it harder to take Bungie's side. It's not really a defensible position.

Note that I'm not complaining about bloom, or armor effects, or any DESIGN decisions. Just objectively documented ERRORS and bugs. Reach just needed another polish pass.
You're not wrong. I've definitely noticed more "little issues" (and big issues - see Forge deleting everything off of maps) than in 3. All of them are just a polish pass or two from being ironed out and hopefully we'll see improvements in TU1, but that's not how it should have played out.

GDJustin said:

For the most part I find myself irritated far more by some of the design decisions than the various bugs or errors thrown up, but some of the issues just amazed me how they weren't noticed.

Stuff like vibration being disabled upon triggering the post-credits cutscene, (re)spawn timers being buggy, or the frame rate problems - even in cutscenes. A game this complicated will always have issues, but some of the bugs are just so obvious that I don't understand how the QA guys could have missed them.

GhaleonEB said:
There's a host of very small issues in Forge that annoy, but don't break, the mode (objects still shift after saving, for instance).

That is the most annoying Forge bug in my opinion.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get some of my pieces to stay exactly where I want them. They may be at weird angles, so that could be it. It's still pretty frustrating spending hours on a map making it look perfect only to have everything shift out of place the next time it loads.

:(

Hugbot

Photolysis said:
For the most part I find myself more irritated far more by some of the design decisions than the various bugs or errors thrown up, but some of the bugs just amazed me how they weren't noticed.

Stuff like vibration being disabled upon triggering the post-credits cutscene, (re)spawn timers being buggy, or the frame rate problems - even in cutscenes. A game this complicated will always have issues, but some of the bugs are just so obvious that I don't understand how the QA guys could have missed them.
I doubt QA missed all of them so much as they were tagged shippable.

I mean I know they missed some but the frame rate issues, weird timers, etc. were likely well documented before launch.

Photolysis said:
I don't understand how the QA guys could have missed them.
WILL NOT FIX

NOT A BUG

BY DESIGN

A Tester's worst enemy. The issue does not get resolved and when the game ships. It's all; OMGAWD tester not testing right.

GhaleonEB

-Yeti said:
That is the most annoying Forge bug in my opinion.

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get some of my pieces to stay exactly where I want them. They may be at weird angles, so that could be it. It's still pretty frustrating spending hours on a map making it look perfect only to have everything shift out of place the next time it loads.

:(
Often coordinates don't save correctly. There's one large piece on Crossroads that refuses to save at the correct angle: it shifts one degree on two of the three axis after placing it. And I don't even have to save to see the effect, I can edit the coordinate to be an even 80 degrees, let go, then pick it up again and it says 79 degrees. Repeat 10 times, delete the object and reset it, whatever. It looks fine once I change it, but if you save, exit and reload I see the object tilted to that 79 degree angle instead of 80.

Which wouldn't be a huge deal, except it's one of the Colosseum floor pieces creating the base of the map. I'm halfway through converting Crossroads into a Race map, and that means ironing out all the little bumps. And this is the last big one left on the map, but I can't fix it because Forge won't save it correctly. And on my last play test, it was big enough to toss the Mongoose over on its back, so the Race variant is ruined as a result. I'm still experimenting with embedding some blocks to smooth it over.

Little stuff, but sometimes they matter.

ShinAmano

I was comparing achievements on XBox.com and my friend picked up 'If they came to hear me beg' way before me...and probably any of you as well...

If They Came to Hear Me Beg
Performed an Assassination against an Elite to survive a fall that would've been fatal.
- -
acquired on 1/1/1753

Gui_PT

ShinAmano said:
I was comparing achievements on XBox.com and my friend picked up 'If they came to hear me beg' way before me...and probably any of you as well...

Performed an Assassination against an Elite to survive a fall that would've been fatal.
- -
acquired on 1/1/1753

Achievements were so easy back then.

ShinAmano said:

- -
acquired on 1/1/1753
500Avatar.png

Pookaki said:
WILL NOT FIX

NOT A BUG

BY DESIGN

A Tester's worst enemy. The issue does not get resolved and when the game ships. It's all; OMGAWD tester not testing right.

True, testers will take the heat even if the issues on Bungie's bug tracker are set as "Resolved - won't fix", but that simply shifts the problem up a layer. Some of the problems are so obvious and detracting that you would imagine they're a high priority for fixes.

Stuff like vehicles and weapons spawning inconsistently are a major balance issue. In cases I've even had entire rounds finish in Invasion without a weapon or vehicle spawning, only to see it spawn a second upon advancing when the teams are switched around.

As for slowdown in cutscenes, I can't believe Bungie would be happy with that given that it makes the game look sloppy and unfinished.

For a gametype that was very much advertised and talked about before release, Invasion is very, very poorly equipped. Even so, as demonstrated before, 80% of my games are in Invasion on Spire, and I love Spire. But only two maps? Firefight, has what, eight? I think we could've gotten by on four, maybe five.

Same goes for BTB. It's a staple of Halo multiplayer, but BTB has only two suitable maps – Hemorrhage and Paradiso. Hemorrhage is broken, its design is archaic, and it's just plain boring (Why did people want this map back again?), so that only leaves Paradiso. I like Paradiso, I think it's a fun map, but BTB can't stand on it's own with just one map; the same goes for Invasion.

Hugbot

GhaleonEB said:
Often coordinates don't save correctly. There's one large piece on Crossroads that refuses to save at the correct angle: it shifts one degree on two of the three axis after placing it. And I don't even have to save to see the effect, I can edit the coordinate to be an even 80 degrees, let go, then pick it up again and it says 79 degrees. Repeat 10 times, delete the object and reset it, whatever. It looks fine once I change it, but if you save, exit and reload I see the object tilted to that 79 degree angle instead of 80.

Which wouldn't be a huge deal, except it's one of the Colosseum floor pieces creating the base of the map. I'm halfway through converting Crossroads into a Race map, and that means ironing out all the little bumps. And this is the last big one left on the map, but I can't fix it because Forge won't save it correctly. And on my last play test, it was big enough to toss the Mongoose over on its back, so the Race variant is ruined as a result. I'm still experimenting with embedding some blocks to smooth it over.

Little stuff, but sometimes they matter.
Also I've had pieces freak out when nudging slightly and suddenly be at strange angles or rotate 180 on an axis. Also in certain positions an object will be a completely different color (brown instead of gray, for instance) regardless of anything being around it to cast a shadow. Forge feels a lot of the time like it's held together with duct tape.

As for slowdown in cutscenes, I can't believe Bungie would be happy with that given that it makes the game look sloppy and unfinished.
Well obviously they wouldn't be happy with it, but there was probably some larger issue to be resolved so the game shipped on time. Sucks, but I don't think it's because they shrugged and said good enough. Sucks either way though.

So aren't percentiles almost completely useless if they don't tell us how many players made onyx/gold/badkid/sellyourgame?

Like wow you made top 20 onyx? How elite is that? Who the fuck knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom