• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I saw someone post "If 1 million people do 117 challenges each the cap will be lifted". If im not missing something obvious, that begs a question. Do most people who play even go for challenges? I know im on about 130 myself, but I play a LOT, I can imagine more casual players not even looking at the challenges.

Devin, I also need to get into the whole RSS Feed thing, it would probably save me a ton of time.

MrBig

bobs99 ... said:
The challenges alone today are worth almost 7K exp and its probably easy to earn well over 10K just going for them with match complete bonuses and so on.

Im a fan of todays challenges. :D
I did the campaign one on LNoS on legendary. Tears were had in the hangar section. And only got 2800 cR.

REV 09

bobs99 ... said:
So I saw someone post "If 1 million people do 117 challenges each the cap will be lifted". If im not missing something obvious, that begs a question. Do most people who play even go for challenges? I know im on about 130 myself, but I play a LOT, I can imagine more casual players not even looking at the challenges.

Devin, I also need to get into the whole RSS Feed thing, it would probably save me a ton of time.
I have completely stopped going for challenges. There isn't anything that I want to buy in the armory. Plus, regular play can net you almost as much as going for the separate challenges. Ranks are completely arbitrary too. I still have like 80 challenges completed though.

Request: Bungie, can you not give Spartans DMRs to pick up in Phase 1 of Invasion on Boneyard? I don't like being pecked to death while I'm making my way up.

Dax01 said:
Request: Bungie, can you not give Spartans DMRs to pick up in Phase 1 of Invasion on Boneyard? I don't like being pecked to death while I'm making my way up.

Evade to cover.

Reanse, repeat.

Or have someone from your team peaking up the needle rifle (2 of them available) and counter.

It's rare that I get picked, and I'm not as good as you guys.

Jinjo

Neuromancer said:
Bought the robot arm today, my life is complete.

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/hdcase/reach_7537052_Medium.jpg[IMG]

Thing is fucking [I]baller.[/I][/QUOTE]

Fuck yeah. Also joined the robot arm club today. The challenges netted me the final credits I needed. :D Next up is either the Black Visor or Commando helmet+shoulder. Still undecided. It kinda depends on how fast the rank cap is going to be lifted.

Blueblur1

metareferential said:
Evade to cover.

Reanse, repeat.

Or have someone from your team peaking up the needle rifle (2 of them available) and counter.

It's rare that I get picked, and I'm not as good as you guys.
Getting picked off doesn't always happen but it's not the only problem either. I find that when playing with sub par teammates, taking over the same objective becomes ridiculously difficult while wielding Plasma Repeaters and Pistols. The Spartans on the other hand have access to two precision weapons that can take you out with ease (well, it's not super easy but it's a hell of lot better than the Covie weapons).

I can live with it but it is kind of annoying.

Ramirez

snoopeasystreet said:
Taking radar out of the arena means that I'll never play it again :(

Usually, I go in and play a few games on my own each day. I don't use a mic because I'm not in the mood for chatting to random people. I don't have enough friends to field a four man team when I have the time to play. Even though there's always a gap in skill between teams who communicate and teams who don't, having the radar gives people who play on their own more of an advantage without penalizing players who are playing in teams. By taking away the radar they're only further decreasing the ability to play with skill for those who don't play with a mic.

lol

Blueblur1 said:
Getting picked off doesn't always happen but it's not the only problem either. I find that when playing with sub par teammates, taking over the same objective becomes ridiculously difficult while wielding Plasma Repeaters and Pistols. The Spartans on the other hand have access to two precision weapons that can take you out with ease (well, it's not super easy but it's a hell of lot better than the Covie weapons).

I can live with it but it is kind of annoying.

Well, the covies also get two precision weapons (two needle rifles, conveniently placed within reach upon spawn).

It is true though that playing with sub par teammates can get you in the worst situations.

But overall I think the first phase is balanced enough, while still being rather difficult for elites without proper teamwork (that is why I never go into it unless I have at least 3 good teammates).

Blueblur1

metareferential said:
Well, the covies also get two precision weapons (two needle rifles, conveniently placed within reach upon spawn).

It is true though that playing with sub par teammates can get you in the worst situations.

But overall I think the first phase is balanced enough, while still being rather difficult for elites without proper teamwork (that is why I never go into it unless I have at least 3 good teammates).
I try to avoid playing Invasion solo as well. But sometimes I hope in there to play some Invasion Slayer matches to complete challenges and then I get stuck with Timmy and his guests. :(

Gui_PT

Blueblur1 said:
I try to avoid playing Invasion solo as well. But sometimes I hope in there to play some Invasion Slayer matches to complete challenges and then I get stuck with Timmy and his guests. :(

Invasion is awesome if you play it with a full team of friends (except on boneyard because it sucks).

If you play with randoms, the game will most probably go like this:
  • 4 guys protect alpha, 2 guys protect bravo.
  • If someone starts getting time on alpha, the whole team rushes there leaving bravo unprotected.
  • Instead of walking inside the territory, preventing the counter from going down, they'll just shoot from far away.
  • When you're trying to spawn on your bro, he'll just rush over to the enemy instead of waiting at a safe spot for you. He dies and then both of you have to spawn at the bottom of the level

Wow, I got lucky with that "Harder Than Some"-challenge. Managed to hijack the Falcon halfway through the level, and wedged myself between the beams on a Spirit so that it'd push me through the invisible barriers. Just mopped up the courtyard in my Falcon, got inside and finished the mission regularly. Stuff like this is why I love Halo games: there's always a way to do things the developer didn't intend, even with the insane amount of barriers they like using these days.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
bobs99 ... said:

I have buddies that are (fairly) hardcore gamers. It's their primary hobby, they get all the "big" titles, etc. We had been playing Halo together most nights for 2-3 weeks. I mentioned wanting to get the day's challenges done, and they had no idea what I was talking about. They literally didn't know Halo had daily/weekly challenges.

I had to explain that they could access them in the pause menu, that they gave bonus credits and changed every day, etc.

I was kinda blown away, but then I thought... I mean the challenges are kinda buried. If you don't *know* about them already, you have to actively explore menus to find them. The game doesn't do a great job of promoting them.

So I was just browsing HaloCharts and I noticed this:

Sorry Louis Wu, we are just not compatible, VH on the other hand, I want as my battle bro for life. (I scrubbed out gamertags of people that arent Gaffers). This is funny, because I remember partying up with Louis right after the beta ended, and jumping off the map every time I wanted to talk (aswell as a whole host of other hilarious fails when it comes to simply controlling the game). :lol Damn buttons changing between games.

I cant wait for these kind of charts for Halo Reach, <3 Halocharts.

panda21

does that shoot and loot challenge come up once a week or something? i'm pretty sure i've done it twice now.

it takes like a half hour in gruntocalypse, if that, for 4000cr..

MrBig

lol I just got 9000cR for a single game of firefight. 1000cr for game complete, then two commendations and two challenges. Black visor is almost mine, even though I'm going to keep using default. I want the gold.
Can someone who's a colonel check how much the MK V shoulders are?

J-Roderton

Glowingmonx said:
Sure,

They're 80k cR each

Geez. I don't know how I can afford anythig. Trying to wait until I can reach the Halo 3 helmet without spending any credits. Just hit Major grade 3 with around 190,000 cR. Hopefully they raise the cap soon.

MrBig

Jroderton said:
Geez. I don't know how I can afford anythig. Trying to wait until I can reach the Halo 3 helmet without spending any credits. Just hit Major grade 3 with around 190,000 cR. Hopefully they raise the cap soon.
I'm pretty sure Mk 6 is unlocked at Colonel, so you'll have more than enough. You'll earn 590,000 cR more by then

chapel

Banned
One thing that has bothered me about arena, when going solo, I hate being put against teams that come in as a party. They really should enforce randoms with randoms, teams with teams. They also should have a FFA arena playlist.

Blueblur1

Hydranockz said:
:lol No. For one thing FFA is a horrible metric so any 'skill' needed is going to be reflected by whoever can hang back and mop up kills the longest.
As someone wo plays FFA more than team games, I can safely say that this is true.

I'll be jumping back into Reach tonight, I took a break to do other things and well too much halo in one go makes me get bored of it, can't wait to get back to pistol owning elites in invasion :D

Blueblur1 said:
As someone wo plays FFA more than team games, I can safely say that this is true.
Haha, I was wondering where you were gonna go with that :p I don't have a probelm with FFA, but you just can't accurately rank people on it... yet? Just like objective gametypes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As of last night..

19.png

:D And I don't even play that much, and was without internet for the 2nd and 3rd weeks after Reach came out. Got this far, spent my money on Mk. V helmet, fully upgraded, and decided to buy the EVA helmet and fully upgraded it just so I could see the EVA [C] variant. Went from ~250 000 credits to ~30 000 credits. Time to start saving up for the gold visor :lol

Trasher

bobs99 ... said:
So I was just browsing HaloCharts and I noticed this:

Sorry Louis Wu, we are just not compatible, VH on the other hand, I want as my battle bro for life. (I scrubbed out gamertags of people that arent Gaffers). This is funny, because I remember partying up with Louis right after the beta ended, and jumping off the map every time I wanted to talk (aswell as a whole host of other hilarious fails when it comes to simply controlling the game). :lol Damn buttons changing between games.

I cant wait for these kind of charts for Halo Reach, <3 Halocharts.
So this is for Halo 3?

I can't find this thing.

MrBig

Not sure if this is entirely correct but...
The thermometer has been updated, i dont know when exactly the new picture came up so im going to say it was 8 am PST

As of 6pm 10/22/2010, we were at 45.85% completion.

In the 14 hours since the update (approximated time differene, unless somebody can give me the exact time) we have completed another 3.53% putting us at a total percent completion of 49.38% as of 8am 10/23/2010.

So if in 14 hours we progress 3.53%, then to finish the bar (at current rate, not neccessarily THE rate of progress) will take 8.37 more days.

Chorazin

I am waaaaaaay out of my league with the FLAG Tournament. Only 4 people showed up for my first match and after 15 minutes were up:

6 - Me.

I had a fucking -25 K/D. The only reason I got to round 2 was the top 4 in each match advance. I'm gonna be super raped next match. :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
MrBig said:
Not sure if this is entirely correct but...
I don't think that sounds very accurate. The updated thermometer can't possibly reflect progress made in the last half-day — it sounds more likely that the original image was inaccurate or something. It just doesn't make sense that 3.5% more progress could be made in 14 hours when only 46% was made in the previous five weeks. But who knows, maybe there were enough people waiting around for the thermometer to show up last night, were horrified at what they saw, and have since completed all of yesterday and today's challenges. Doesn't seem too plausible, though.

Gui_PT

Photolysis said:
Extrapolating from that, that's 12.5 days until the cap is lifted, which is early November as Bungie have mentioned.

Eh, it's the weekend and today's challenges were fast to get. May take more than 12 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom