• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

rar

Domino Theory said:
No video-game will make you feel like a badass then as every single one of them require you to push a button.

its not about the button pressing... its that all it is is pressing one button

compare using armor lock to stuff like rocket jumping (tf2, quake), strafe jumping (quake), timing powerups (quake, halo 1), doing combos in street fighter or microing in starcraft. those things make me feel like a badass if i pull them off well, because i did lots of actions really fast or outsmarted someone to beat them. that's why those are some of my favorite multiplayer games. there's depth to those actions, while armor lock is a mechanic with almost none imo

for me it isn't satisfying or cool to win a fight because of one button press with barely any thought behind it

Dax01 said:
@the bold: ...if you're silly enough to get close to them. Why would you go up and melee a dude in AL?

I'm aware it'll take my shield down so I don't stand there. That's not the problem. The problem is when I go to lunge with the sword, they armor lock, release quickly, then just melee me for the kill while I can't swing again because of the cooldown on sword swings. Or with the Hammer. Or anything similar to that situation.

One on one, if this occurred here and there it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is when you're in a game on a relatively small map where EVERYONE is using it. Which occurs often in things like Multi-Team, Big Team Battle and DEFINITELY in Elite Slayer.

And if there wasn't 2/3 of the community using armor lock it wouldn't be problem either. But there are more and more people using armor lock. I'm not stupid enough to stand in melee range while someone's armor locked...I'm not stupid enough to run my vehicle into someone who's armor locked or even looking in my direction and MIGHT have armor lock. But the problem stands. Because of how feature heavy armor lock is, and how the community is using it, and how flexible an ability it is...It's hurting Reach's multiplayer.

Look at the other abilities. Sprint gives you...Sprint. You use it to sprint for cover or close the distance between you and an enemy. Jet Pack gives you the ability to navigate maps in a different way and get a height advantage. Evade works similarly to sprint. Insiv is self explanatory and works in a way that's not overpowered. You become invisble and it scrambles radar. OK, now armor lock...Let's see invulnerability, EMP blast, you can hold it for as short or as long as you want, your shields can recharge while using it, you can escape plasma grenade sticks using it, you can destroy vehicles using it...The list goes on and on.

I don't think it's going to change however. So my hard on Reach is losing some size. Because of the way the community is moving the gameplay style. And because armor lock is part of that.

rar said:
sorry, pressing a button doesnt make me feel like a badass. it makes me feel like i pressed a button. to feel like a badass i would actually have to do something that actually required some effort on my part

I agree 100% - I feel like a badass when I out manouvre my opponents or out shoot them, I cant believe some people feel like a badass just for pressing a button. :lol The sad thing is ive seen people upload a bunch of armour lock clips as if its something special, I would rather watch them actually do something.

Willeth

rar said:
yeah, dont stick people anymore, what do you think this is, halo?
No, what? it's sticking them the second time after knowing they have Armor Lock, which you know can defeat stickies, and still thinking 'welp, stickies kill people hurr durr'

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Replace "feeling like a badass" with "having fun" and you might see things from the other side... or not.

I've read many complaints about Armour Lock but bitching because it's a single button press? That's special.

rar

Dani said:
Replace "feeling like a badass" with "having fun" and you might see things from the other side... or not.

I've read many complaints about Armour Lock but bitching because it's a single button press? That's special.

i'm sorry if i'd like the other player to do something noteworthy in order to pause the fight, become invincible, and deflect stickies and rockets, instead of just hitting x whenever they want

Willeth said:
No, what? it's sticking them the second time after knowing they have Armor Lock, which you know can defeat stickies, and still thinking 'welp, stickies kill people hurr durr'

well, that brings up the question: why is there a hard counter to plasma grenades?

Glad to see more people are coming around to how broken Armor Lock is. My friend who is still fairly new at the game, has stopped using it because he felt he was hitting a wall and wasn't getting better at the game, since it's so overpowered and such a "get out of jail free" card. Surprise surprise, he's pulling a lot lower numbers now (and a lot more negative ratios). But he feels he's getting better at keeping an eye on his surroundings and actually getting the jump on people.

Dax01 said:
@the bold: ...if you're silly enough to get close to them. Why would you go up and melee a dude in AL?

Because guys don't usually have a big banner on them saying "hey I've got Armor Lock!" so when you see him nearby and they rush straight at you, you melee because it's the best tactic at short range. Of course, then they just do a quick half-lock, nullify your damage and melee you back.

You act as though people are using it defensively when that's not the case. It's one of the best offensive abilities in a close-quarters map. In trouble? Armor Lock, nullify damage, get your shields back with a better assessment of the situation, and probably a friend or two to help out. Oh, and then instantly turn any direction you want after the lock, as well as instantly perform an action (such as throw a grenade) while the other person is waiting for you to "de-ice."

Willeth

rar said:
well, that brings up the question: why is there a hard counter to plasma grenades?
Why wouldn't there be? A lot of Reach's multiplayer is about removing the certainty from what were previously guaranteed kills, and therefore requiring more critical thinking about any given encounter. Stickies now have a counter. The sword can no be parried with a melee. The only thing that doesn't have a counter is a beat down, and if you get that, you really earned it.

rar

Willeth said:
Why wouldn't there be? A lot of Reach's multiplayer is about removing the certainty from what were previously guaranteed kills, and therefore requiring more critical thinking about any given encounter. Stickies now have a counter. The sword can no be parried with a melee. The only thing that doesn't have a counter is a beat down, and if you get that, you really earned it.

in my opinion it shouldn't need a counter. sticking has become incredibly easy in halo, and that never should have happened. in halo 1 it was alot more difficult to stick someone... now, because of the movement speed and autoaim, it's as easy as ever. sticking should never have needed a counter because it never should have become as common place as it is in reach.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Willeth said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

yeah right.

I like your map as is Ghal, the sniper on that map works well too because its cluttered up top but open underneath so you can play either or, only problem is that its so far away from your own base. If a weapon is symmetrical it shouldn't be in such a open spot where anyone can get to it very easily.

Other things are like, lining up platforms so there aren't any bumps making sure everything is lined up perfect. Maybe some easier ways to get from top to bottom, there are a lot of places where you can drop down with a tricky jump, but it'd be better if the bottom extended a little more in some places so it wasn't so risky.

rar said:
in my opinion it shouldn't need a counter. sticking has become incredibly easy in halo, and that never should have happened. in halo 1 it was alot more difficult to stick someone... now, because of the movement speed and autoaim, it's as easy as ever. sticking should never have needed a counter because it never should have become as common place as it is in reach.

I think actually Stickies are more common in reach because someone can stick someone else close range, go into armor lock, dash off or evade, and be perfectly fine.

Bread

Banned
just went 39-9 on swat magnums on asylum :lol :lol :lol :lol

that was so fun i felt invincible at the beginning i started out with 2 consecutive killing frenzies

Armor Lock is a little overpowered when using it with a good team that sticks with you...

Why else would it be pretty much the only armor ability people bitch about every other page?

You don't hear:

"WTF Sprint lasts too damn long!"

"Jetpack is unfair I can only jump" (OK you hear that about poorly made maps like The Cage/Asylum

"Evade is so cheap how dare they move off my aimer!"

---

Traditional certain deaths like being stuck no longer apply, I'd also love to hear the canon or realistic explanation of how that AA works? Are these mass effect shields that would only stop fast projectile damage not melee damage...To me it seems like the grenade would blow up inside the armor and just kill the guy more than it would normally.

Invincible to all damage while in use:

Jetpack: No
Evade: No
Camo: No
Sprint: No
Barrier Shield thingy: No
Whatever I forgot: No
Armor Lock: Yes

It turns Halo into something weird. No one should be able to not take damage...it turns the game slow.

GhaleonEB

LAUGHTREY said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

yeah right.

I like your map as is Ghal, the sniper on that map works well too because its cluttered up top but open underneath so you can play either or, only problem is that its so far away from your own base. If a weapon is symmetrical it shouldn't be in such a open spot where anyone can get to it very easily.

Other things are like, lining up platforms so there aren't any bumps making sure everything is lined up perfect. Maybe some easier ways to get from top to bottom, there are a lot of places where you can drop down with a tricky jump, but it'd be better if the bottom extended a little more in some places so it wasn't so risky.
Thanks. Someone else had also suggested moving the sniper a bit closer to the base. I'll move it halfway between where it is and the base, so it's at least within sight of the base so people know when it's up and can get to it.

There's still 3 bumps on each side I'm working on; the big floor pieces don't like to be angled and I'm having a heck of a time smoothing them over, but I've got a few ideas to try out tonight. They're the last ones left, but they're stubborn little buggers.

Made some small tweaks to the under the base area that might help flag carriers get a little bit of distance at least.
Willeth said:
The counter to plasma grenades is not to get stuck. But then put me in the camp that thinks AL has far too many purposes (anti-melee, anti-vehicle, anti-stuck) and counters far too much of the sandbox, so disregard/mock as appropriate.

Dani said:

Fair enough, that adds a bit of perspective. Im still of the opinion that it kinda ruins gameplay, you may not feel like a badass using it, but your still doing some pretty badass stuff at just 1 button press. I would have preferred it if it took a little more than that.

Willeth said:

I have other words that I would use instead of critical thinking. :lol

pakkit

Banned
In my most humble opinion, Armor Lock should be removed or gimped ASAP. I agree that it's a badass way to counter splatters, but it's just awful in any Slayer based games.

Bungie obviously established AL as a way to counter some annoyances (stickie nade hell, sword spam, splatter spam) but then they failed to offer an AL counter. I much prefer Overshield to this, because if someone picks up an OS and you kill them, you feel like the fucking man.

If you kill someone after they've wasted your time ALing, you just feel like you got the kill you should've gotten 5 seconds earlier. And that's only IF you get the kill.

rObit

Banned
Roche178 said:
Hey guys any chance I could get this rendered?

During last nights customs I got splattered by a piece of revenant sent flying by a bomb detonation.

Done.

On the topic of AL it doesn't bother me any more than when someone manages to run behind a corner when I bust shields. It's an annoyance when you're trying to get the kill but a lot of what Halo is to me is finding a way out of tough situations. Perhaps just using it as an "Oh Shit!" button kinda brings it to AR>melee in H3 standards, so perhaps a duration decrease would help with that.

I use it all the time, and even I was it gimped.
the way it ruins a good stick is the biggest injustice, but it has way too many pros in my book, it's the all 'round armour ability... way better than the rest.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
AL just needs to work like Evade. You press the button to AL for a set amount of time, and then have to wait for it to recharge & regain the ability to use it.

The problem is that as a "press and hold" ability it can be pulsed and abused.

Problem solved.

ToyMachine228 said:
I'm aware it'll take my shield down so I don't stand there. That's not the problem. The problem is when I go to lunge with the sword, they armor lock, release quickly, then just melee me for the kill while I can't swing again because of the cooldown on sword swings. Or with the Hammer. Or anything similar to that situation.

One on one, if this occurred here and there it wouldn't be a problem. The problem is when you're in a game on a relatively small map where EVERYONE is using it. Which occurs often in things like Multi-Team, Big Team Battle and DEFINITELY in Elite Slayer.
Wait, you are complaining about al because of the sword? If it pisses sword users off I might have to start using it. But I imagine its not as satisfying as 5 shotting a sprinting sword weilder or blocking a sword and hsing them

GhaleonEB

Anyone know how to link Xbox.com and Bungie.net to a second Gold profile? My daughter has her own Gold Live account now, and wants to start sending pictures that she's taking to bungie.net. But I've spent a couple days now lost in an epic verification loop with Live ID and Xbox.com, where it signs her up as a profile, linked to her email address. And when I do the final confirmation on xbox.com, it asks for a parental email to confirm, then signs ME in when I put in my email. She's stuck in limbo.

I've manually deleted the cookies so it's all starting from scratch.

No idea how to get around it.

remz

The thing that irks me about armor lock is when guys use it during a fight, and do nothing with and I just have to stand around for like 5 seconds or whatever at range after popping their shields, waiting for the to de-armor lock so I can shoot em in the head and finish the job.

Willeth said:
Eh not gonna lie, probably wasn't the best choice. I thought maybe he was out since he held the AL for quite some time. But you don't think it's annoying that when you pull off a hard stick it's just shrugged off?

I played a recent game of Elite Slayer in Multi-Team on Zealot. The entire game consisted of Armor Lock, Needlers and stickies. Absolutely horrible.

I'm a total hypocrite though. I love AL when it works for me. Such a polarizing AA.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Anyone know how to link Xbox.com and Bungie.net to a second Gold profile? My daughter has her own Gold Live account now, and wants to start sending pictures that she's taking to bungie.net. But I've spent a couple days now lost in an epic verification loop with Live ID and Xbox.com, where it signs her up as a profile, linked to her email address. And when I do the final confirmation on xbox.com, it asks for a parental email to confirm, then signs ME in when I put in my email. She's stuck in limbo.

I've manually deleted the cookies so it's all starting from scratch.

No idea how to get around it.
Try from two different computers?

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Try from two different computers?
Nah it's not a cookie issue. From the screens I'm walking through, it clearly recognizes that 1) I'm signing her up with her email and her gamer tag and 2) that it's a child account and requires parental authorization. So far so good. Then it asks for the parent's Live-linked email to authorize the activation of the child account, and then says it's already in use when I enter it. And I'm like, of course it's in use. I'm the parent!

voltron

Ok guys whats the best playlist to get 30 kills in? Im usually just a lone wolf in Rumble Pit and obviously the max is 25 for most of those gametypes.

I havent missed a weekly challenge yet, and am hoping not to miss any! (obviously missed a few dailys, but every weekly seems like an achievable goal.)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
Nah it's not a cookie issue. From the screens I'm walking through, it clearly recognizes that 1) I'm signing her up with her email and her gamer tag and 2) that it's a child account and requires parental authorization. So far so good. Then it asks for the parent's Live-linked email to authorize the activation of the child account, and then says it's already in use when I enter it. And I'm like, of course it's in use. I'm the parent!
https://www.support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/xboxlive/joinxboxlive/accountcreation/JoinChild.aspx

Seems like you're doing it correctly. Odd.

Vanish

voltron said:
Ok guys whats the best playlist to get 30 kills in? Im usually just a lone wolf in Rumble Pit and obviously the max is 25 for most of those gametypes.

I havent missed a weekly challenge yet, and am hoping not to miss any! (obviously missed a few dailys, but every weekly seems like an achievable goal.)

might want to try mult-team, i got mine like that in my first game

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
Ah, then maybe its asking for an email as if parents wouldn't have a live account. Then, for parents who didn't complete that part when restricting their kids consoles, kids could just have a friend fill in their email?
I guess try your isp email if you're using a gmail or the other way around.
e: or maybe its an issue with the recent changes to xbox.com.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
I just followed those exact steps to conclusion, including the validation of email and credit card.

Result:

The profile did not tie to her account or gamertag.

It created a NEW, Silver account profile, using a randomly generated gamertag ("WindwardTrashXXXX", x's partial redaction) and a blank profile.

WTF :lol

Edit: now I can't start over and try again because her email is in use.

Edit 2: and now my credit card is tied to this randomly generated gamer tag. Aaarrg! :lol

A nice long chat with Xbox support is in my future tomorrow.
Hydranockz said:
I have 9 months of software testing ahead of me... luckily in a bank... Ghaleon, please never interact with the systems I will be testing.

<3
But I can provide the kind of vigorous testing your system needs!

GhaleonEB said:
I just followed those exact steps to conclusion, including the validation of email and credit card.

Result:

The profile did not tie to her account or gamertag.

It created a NEW, Silver account profile, using a randomly generated gamertag ("WindwardTrashXXXX", x's partial redaction) and a blank profile.

WTF :lol
I have 9 months of software testing ahead of me... luckily in a bank... Ghaleon, please never interact with the systems I will be testing.

<3

Levi

Banned
voltron said:
Ok guys whats the best playlist to get 30 kills in?

I got my 30 kills in a game of Crazy King in Rumble Pit. Wasn't even looking to get the Challenge, just happened. I missed out on winning by 4 measly points. >:|

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
urk said:
Wonder if it's too late to heavily feature Armor Lock in the new trailer?
Wonder if you could address 4gb'ers being unable to use all those cool film/coop/everyotherharddrive related feature in the next BWU?
xxjuicesxx said:
It turns Halo into something weird. No one should be able to not take damage...it turns the game slow.
...Juices is right.
Domino Theory said:
Like a G6.
When we drink we do it right gettin slizzard.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
4Gb Xboxes don't include an HDD. It's memory that isn't accessible in the same way standard drives are. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
remz said:
The thing that irks me about armor lock is when guys use it during a fight, and do nothing with and I just have to stand around for like 5 seconds or whatever at range after popping their shields, waiting for the to de-armor lock so I can shoot em in the head and finish the job.

They are doing it wrong, be glad they suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom