• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Personally, I'd like the Challenges to be a challenge, rather than a grind. I'm enjoying the mix for the daily Challenges, but something more like "Get 28,000 points on a game of Score Attack Matchmaking" would be more interesting than killing 50 dudes in Firefight. It's been a month and it feels like we've seen the extent of the variety (though the Campaign daily challenge from a few days ago - beat a mission with three skulls on - was more up my alley).

I generally do a couple challenges every day, and they do motivate me to play. But they're not challenging for the most part, just "play for a bit" kind of motivators. The weekly's have become "play a LOT" rewards. Which isn't a challenge, it's a grind. I'd like to see more of a mix. They've got the potential to encourage players to try and do things differently, such as the Campaign ones so far, and those are the ones I enjoy the most.

Hugbot

divisionbyzorro said:
Challenges shouldn't be attainable by everybody. What's the challenge if everybody can do it?
I agree. I'm saying last week's was shit because it's so heavily luck based. It's only really possible if you're on a shitty team in a good playlist or luck out in a shit playlist. If someone else on your team is around your skill level, chances are you're not gonna get 30/50 kills.

This week's, I have no problem with. A challenge that required a perfection medal or something, I'd have no problem with.

GhaleonEB said:
Personally, I'd like the Challenges to be a challenge, rather than a grind. I'm enjoying the mix for the daily Challenges, but something more like "Get 28,000 points on a game of Score Attack Matchmaking" would be more interesting than killing 50 dudes in Firefight. It's been a month and it feels like we've seen the extent of the variety (though the Campaign daily challenge from a few days ago - beat a mission with three skulls on - was more up my alley).

I generally do a couple challenges every day, and they do motivate me to play. But they're not challenging for the most part, just "play for a bit" kind of motivators. The weekly's have become "play a LOT" rewards. Which isn't a challenge, it's a grind. I'd like to see more of a mix. They've got the potential to encourage players to try and do things differently, such as the Campaign ones so far, and those are the ones I enjoy the most.
That one daily challenge with the three skulls is perhaps my favorite challenge so far.

Damn, if Tempest has the same Forge Palette of Forge World, that will be kinda lame.

However, Tempest seems like it will be a lot of fun as is.

GhaleonEB said:

I think the attitude on GAF towards challenges is different compared to most people. The casual players I play with are like "oh cool I got a bonus from this challenge" instead of "God damn, look what I HAVE TO DO to get this challenge". I don't think they were intended to be like that. If someone has been playing MM recently but enjoys playing firefight then when a challenge for firefight comes up its like "oh i'll do that one because I haven't played FF in a while" not "fuck I have to play firefight to get this challenge, sigh".

I don't generally play FF so when I see a firefight challenge I just don't do it. I love my matchmaking but if I don't have time to get 200 kills in a day I don't get upset.

GhaleonEB

cuevas said:
I think the attitude on GAF towards challenges is different compared to most people. The casual players I play with are like "oh cool I got a bonus from this challenge" instead of "God damn, look what I HAVE TO DO to get this challenge". I don't think they were intended to be like that. If someone has been playing MM recently but enjoys playing firefight then when a challenge for firefight comes up its like "oh i'll do that one because I haven't played FF in a while" not "fuck I have to play firefight to get this challenge, sigh".

I don't generally play FF so when I see a firefight challenge I just don't do it. I love my matchmaking but if I don't have time to get 200 kills in a day I don't get upset.
Which is why I said I'd like to see a mix. There are four Challenges every day, and most of them are cut from the same cloth; there's ample room for a mix of types. I tend to do just the Firefight, Campaign or "any game mode" ones since I'm not into MP to much yet. But a few each week that do challenge would be nice.

I think that the more important issue isn't just the DLC.

If there aren't a large number of Forge World Maps in all the playlists (Big Team, Invasion, Living Dead, Multi-Team (Race Maps) most Importantly) ON TOP OF the needed playlist and gametype changes then 3 new maps won't even come close to making Reach right.

in other words: ITS BORING RIGHT NOW.

LosDaddie

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
Challenges shouldn't be attainable by everybody. What's the challenge if everybody can do it?

I don't disagree, but if most/all challenges were difficult to get, then I'd probably not play Reach as much as I do. I love the fact I can commit an hour or two and earn a decent amount of credits.

GhaleonEB said:
Which is why I said I'd like to see a mix. There are four Challenges every day, and most of them are cut from the same cloth; there's ample room for a mix of types. I tend to do just the Firefight, Campaign or "any game mode" ones since I'm not into MP to much yet. But a few each week that do challenge would be nice.

But isn't "Do a mission on legendary with 5 skulls on." just as much of a grind as "Get 1000 kills in MM"?

Raide

Not sure I am going to be able to manage the 1000 kill challenge. :lol Maybe if they did "Move 1000 Forge pieces" then I might get that one. :D

Raide

Shake Appeal said:
Valid complaints, when expressed repetitiously and with an overweening air of entitlement, can turn annoying.

And everyone has a different understanding of what is 'valid'.

Excellent use of the word. Most cromulent!

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I don't go out of my way to do the challenges. If I get them then that's awesome but I won't let them be my main focus while playing. I learned that from WOW a long time ago. You will burn yourself out if it feels like a job you have to do VS playing for fun with an added bonus.

LosDaddie said:
I don't disagree, but if most/all challenges were difficult to get, then I'd probably not play Reach as much as I do. I love the fact I can commit an hour or two and earn a decent amount of credits.
Yeah same here. FF and campaign and then multiplayer if it's not too time consuming or difficult.

Calm Killer said:
I don't go out of my way to do the challenges. If I get them then that's awesome but I won't let them be my main focus while playing. I learned that from WOW a long time ago. You will burn yourself out if it feels like a job you have to do VS playing for fun with an added bonus.
See I look at it like, well I have other games to play but I'll hop on some Halo Reach for 1/2 an hour just to get these challenges. I guess if you start treating challenges as some kind of onerous chore, then yeah that'd be bad.

Raide

Calm Killer said:

Agreed. I tend to do the Firefight and the Campaign stuff, if I have time. I usually skip the MM stuff, unless its really easy. :lol

RdN

Hx3sK58.jpg
I62j5t8.jpg
03c6pFB.jpg
vAS25Qh.jpg

How do i get to that image from the home page of B.net?
Calm Killer said:
This sorta happened to me, so I've been taking a break playing the hell out of Crysis 2's Closed MP Alpha, and Test Drive Unlimited 2's Closed MP Beta.

Once these run out or I get bored I'll run on back to Reach with you all. :D

GhaleonEB

cuevas said:
But isn't "Do a mission on legendary with 5 skulls on." just as much of a grind as "Get 1000 kills in MM"?
No, not really. A proper Campaign analog would be, "Complete five Campaign Missions on Legendary".

What I'm talking about is a one-time goal with a specific set of criteria which are challenging to complete, not a goal that consists of doing the same action over and over and over. Another example "Complete a Round of Score Attack Matchmaking without dying", instead of "Kill 400 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking". And like I said, I'm all for those - but I'd like a mix.

GhaleonEB said:
No, not really. A proper Campaign analog would be, "Complete five Campaign Missions on Legendary".

What I'm talking about is a one-time goal with a specific set of criteria which are challenging to complete, not a goal that consists of doing the same action over and over and over. Another example "Complete a Round of Score Attack Matchmaking without dying", instead of "Kill 400 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking". And like I said, I'm all for those - but I'd like a mix.
Exactly, like "kill 'x' Elites in Campaign with a supercombine explosion on Legendary", or something equally as out of the ordinary. The recycling of some of these challenges just shouldn't be necessary at this point.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
squidhands said:
Exactly, like "kill 'x' Elites in Campaign with a supercombine explosion on Legendary", or something equally as out of the ordinary. The recycling of some of these challenges just shouldn't be necessary at this point.

You'd think that given 3 years to develop the game, they could've come up with at least 120 unique daily challenges (one month's worth). But no, we're alittle over a month and have been recycling the same challenges for weeks now.

Great concept, poor execution.

I'd always thought that it would be better if Weeklies = Always Campaign-scentric and Dailies = Matchmaking and FireFight (although not always kill X dudes).

WickedLaharl said:
question for you guys: what do think would be the best option for curtailing quitters?

the system as it is now simply does not discourage quitters at all. IMO bungie should subtract a fixed amount of cR that goes gradually with each subsequent quit with the final culmination resulting in a 30min ban and lots of credits lost.

you're gonna have to show the habitual quitters some tough love bungie!

So I can't play halo? Pop in MW2, fuck you bungie.

I quit maybe once every few days when half my team is already gone but you have to look at it from bungie's point of view. They want people to stay in the game but they don't want to drive people away either. One may say that quitters drive people away from the game but I am sure bungie has thought about that and their solution is the best they could come up with.

chapel

Banned
ultron87 said:
Did I read correctly in the BWU that they are removing radar from Arena?

If true I will never ever go into Arena.
I believe its going to be an option, though I'd like to to be the only option, at least for S3.

equil

Is it just me or can we not crouch jump anymore?
Im used to clicking crouch right before i jump, but its like the buttons cancel each other out and doesnt jump.

equil said:
Is it just me or can we not crouch jump anymore?
Im used to clicking crouch right before i jump, but its like the buttons cancel each other out and doesnt jump.

Crouch right AFTER you jump ;).

Also, try crouching right before you land from a big jump for GREATER profit.

Finally finished my solo legendary run. Wasn't as hard as I was worried it'd be. One you get beat down to a smoking pulp by your first wave or two of uber-elites you gain the right amount of paranoia and ingenuity to see you through to the end.

Loves:

* Space and Falcon combat feels tuned for Legendary. Engagements are quick and brutal unless you stay focused. Just the right amount of tension.

* The holdout battle at the end of Pillar of Autumn. Was a nail biter due to lack of DMR ammo (I tried the easter egg, but the ammo box flew over the cliff - dammit!), but in the end I prevailed by stealing some grunt needles and using the fuel rod.

* My hologram/shotgun battle against the two hunters blocking my way in Pillar of Autumn.

* Finishing the final super-elite on the mac cannon platform with a well-timed execution. Feels good man.

* Just about every engagement except for the below:

Hates:

* Tanks on Exodus. Tanks anywhere on legendary are a serious foe, but the tanks in Exodus have psychic bullshit powers that brought the game down for me. It became a chore to outwit or glitch the enemy AI to proceed. Didn't feel like Halo at all to me. Compare and contrast with the tank blocking your path in Pillar of Autumn. That one was a perfect cat and mouse at relatively close range. I had to use hologram to distract it so I could shut it down and jack it. Lovely ;P In fact I'd recommend hologram for a lot of the games tough spots.

* The shield entrance to the ship in LSON. I died so many times trying to get into that place its not even funny. I *will* attempt this again though, as my gut (and some gaffers here) inform me that there are much better ways to approach that area.

* Bugged enemies who had shields that just would.not.drop. In pillar of autumn, just before the hunters you have a room filled with Elites and some jackals with a few grunts. I pinged one of the elites non-stop with my DMR from a window above - three full clips and the shield didn't drop. A little later I was hitting a grunt (center of mass) and it absorbed a full clip of DMR shots before I said fuck it.

* I cheesed the ending with the mac cannon as I was in no mood to memorize the positions of waves of enemies.

* Drop execution on that one elite in the begging of Pillar of Autumn five times without getting the achievement. I doubt I'll ever have the patience to get that one. Its not an achievement - its an overly sensitive exercise in frustration. If you came to hear me beg you're going to be disappointed.

* Active Camo. Its nearly fucking useless on legendary, even when crouched and motionless. Use hologram instead.

* Why did I listen to Emile and let him drive the Mongoose? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Never again.

Final impressions:

I still loved it, warts and all. Engagements are varied, well crafted, and gorgeous. Legendary Elites put the fear (and frustration) into you right quick. I'm pretty sure I'll never do another full solo legendary run, but I'll definitely give certain levels another go. Co-op legendary? Hell yes. But solo? ehhhhh... This game is perfectly tuned for Heroic (except for the flying/space engagements imo) and I can see myself clearing the campaign on heroic many times to come.

Thanks Bungie.

chapel

Banned
Hydranockz said:
Don't Make a Girl a Promise 5000cR
Say you will do something for HaloGaf and actually do it. [1/2]
:lol 5000cR, not worth it.

Well I didn't promise this time, just made it for fun and delivered. :D

NullPointer said:
Hates:
.* Active Camo. Its nearly fucking useless on legendary, even when crouched and motionless. Use hologram instead.
Maybe I'm the only one but the Active Camo was really useful in Nightfall. I couldnt survive the first part without it.

aesop

Hypertrooper said:
Maybe I'm the only one but the Active Camo was really useful in Nightfall. I couldnt survive the first part without it.
Also made activating the AA guns in Exodus so easy.

Hypertrooper said:
Camo will work out for you at long range (except those damn tanks on Exodus), but within say 15 to 20 feet, enemies will see right through it after a moment or two, even when motionless. That was my experience anyway.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
NullPointer, the super strong shields are being caused by an engineer, floating in the air. Drop him (~7 DMR shots?) and the enemies around will lose their overshields.

Of course this remains unexplained, just like everything else regarding the gameplay/story in Halo games :lol

Legendary is easy(ish) if you know Halo's tricks. But God help you if you don't KNOW you can drop Elite shields with the PP, for example. Because the game sure as shit is never going to tell you that plasma is for shields and bullets are for flesh.

Hugbot

GDJustin said:
NullPointer, the super strong shields are being caused by an engineer, floating in the air. Drop him (~7 DMR shots?) and the enemies around will lose their overshields.

Of course this remains unexplained, just like everything else regarding the gameplay/story in Halo games :lol

Legendary is easy(ish) if you know Halo's tricks. But God help you if you don't KNOW you can drop Elite shields with the PP, for example. Because the game sure as shit is never going to tell you that plasma is for shields and bullets are for flesh.
tbf I think the Engineer/Overshield thing is explained in-game in ODST. It still needs a better explanation in Reach, though.

GDJustin said:

sad but true :lol

GDJustin said:

Yeah I'm kind of embarrassed to say that playing through Halo 3 and ODST, multiple times, I never knew that.

The engineer thing I think I figured out on my own thanks to the fact that enemies around it have a weird purple sheen to them.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hydranockz said:
Don't Make a Girl a Promise 5000cR
Say you will do something for HaloGaf and actually do it. [1/2]
:lol :lol

GAF won't forget. I didn't submit any clips for the montage so I only care for you guys to get it.

StuBurns

Banned
Anyone gone back to Halo 3 since putting a lot of time into Reach? Are you using the Walkie-Talkie controls to make switching more comfortable?

GhaleonEB

GDJustin said:

Dunno about that. Maybe for some. I'm a pretty good campaign player and Legendary thrashed me pretty constantly. Some of the ending encounters in particular were just brutal because they didn't supply the right weapons for the enemy.

The only encounter in my Legendary run that I skipped over was the pack of high raking, dual-wielding Elites guarding the exit of the smelter facility on PoA. I exhaused all my DMR ammo on the Grunts and Jackals, and then went looking for more. And there isn't any. Two racks of Assault Rifles (three each), a few shotguns, and some plasma weaponry strewn about from dropped Covenant, but no long range or precision weapons at all. The door to the earlier part of the level gets sealed shut behind me. I spent an hour trying to either find some ammo or drop just one single Elite, and couldn't do it. So I snuck around them, and when they were distracted by Emile shooting a shotgun at them from 20 yards away, I sprinted past.

The kicker was they noticed this, and all three came after me. Which meant the next check point was me with an AR and plasma pistol against a pack of Skirmishers, two Hunters and three dual-wielding super Elites. Needless to say, I broke the windown and hopped through that, also skipping the Hunters. I hear the sound of Emile getting his ass kicked by that horde for the remainder of the mission, until he teleports into the MAC cannon at the end. :lol

GDJustin said:

Absolutely agreed, but in the particular battle I brought up there was no engineer. I know about them from ODST, and they give off that extra blue overshield effect. These were elites and grunts just before facing off against the last Hunters in POA. You're in a room with two big ore smelters or something. No engineers, just a few medium elites, jackals and grunts. And believe me, some of these guys were glitched. I caught one elite at a distance who wasn't really dodging or reacting to my shots, so I took that opportunity to drop him. So, with only the delay from reloading a few times I plugged him, center of mass, with three full clips of DMR - and his shields still still didn't pop. When I eventually died and the checkpoint restarted it seemed to clear up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom