• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
GhaleonEB said:
The only encounter in my Legendary run that I skipped over was the pack of high raking, dual-wielding Elites guarding the exit of the smelter facility on PoA. I exhaused all my DMR ammo on the Grunts and Jackals, and then went looking for more. And there isn't any. Two racks of Assault Rifles (three each), a few shotguns, and some plasma weaponry strewn about from dropped Covenant, but no long range or precision weapons at all.
This is the exact encounter that I'm talking about. Maybe you ran into the same situation Ghal. These guys just ate my DMR ammo with no effect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thank god I payed attention in Halo CE when it was (somewhere) mentioned plasma rips shields and bullets effectively work on flesh.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Dunno about that. Maybe for some. I'm a pretty good campaign player and Legendary thrashed me pretty constantly. Some of the ending encounters in particular were just brutal because they didn't supply the right weapons for the enemy.

The only encounter in my Legendary run that I skipped over was the pack of high raking, dual-wielding Elites guarding the exit of the smelter facility on PoA. I exhaused all my DMR ammo on the Grunts and Jackals, and then went looking for more. And there isn't any. Two racks of Assault Rifles (three each), a few shotguns, and some plasma weaponry strewn about from dropped Covenant, but no long range or precision weapons at all. The door to the earlier part of the level gets sealed shut behind me. I spent an hour trying to either find some ammo or drop just one single Elite, and couldn't do it. So I snuck around them, and when they were distracted by Emile shooting a shotgun at them from 20 yards away, I sprinted past.

The kicker was they noticed this, and all three came after me. Which meant the next check point was me with an AR and plasma pistol against a pack of Skirmishers, two Hunters and three dual-wielding super Elites. Needless to say, I broke the windown and hopped through that, also skipping the Hunters. I hear the sound of Emile getting his ass kicked by that horde for the remainder of the mission, until he teleports into the MAC cannon at the end. :lol

I used the Falcon trick on Winter Contingency, used the Gauss Hog trick on Oni, and the forklift trick on Nightfall for me Legendary run - I'm waiting on more cowardly shortcuts to get me through the later levels. :lol

MrBig

Challenge meter seems to be rising at the same intervals everyday. Since today is weekday there should be less people playing, if it goes up the same amount it is probably a countdown to before the 9th.

Dani said:
I used the Falcon trick on Winter Contingency, used the Gauss Hog trick on Oni, and the forklift trick on Nightfall for me Legendary run - I'm waiting on more cowardly shortcuts to get me through the later levels. :lol

Winter Contingency doesn't even need a trick! You can straight up sprint past 99% of that level, to the point where you don't need to actually shoot anything until after the elite-sword cutscene. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
enzo_gt said:
Thank god I payed attention in Halo CE when it was (somewhere) mentioned plasma rips shields and bullets effectively work on flesh.
Charged plasma shot + single round of DMR to head. Dead elite. It's not like the Plasma guns aren't the most common in the game. :lol

Dani said:

I'm guessing the Hog trick is getting it over the barrier so you can use it against the Hunters and all the other enemies right before the elevator. What are the other two tricks you're referring to?

GhaleonEB

shintoki said:
Charged plasma shot + single round of DMR to head. Dead elite. It's not like the Plasma guns aren't the most common in the game. :lol
But this is never communicated to anyone in the game. We longtime players just know it. I know someone who picked up Reach as his first Halo game and he had no idea. And he's already beaten the campaign!

The Tilt skull would be a place to communicate this - plasma for shields, bullets for health - but it just says "damage tables modified".

I always train in Firefight with Tilt enabled. It brings out that extra special Halo spice in combat :)

But yeah, in general I avoid the PP/Headshot combo for the most part just because it bores me, but at times in legendary you HAVE to use it. The very first part of POA for example has a super elite with a concussion rifle, another elite, multiple jackals and grunts - what do they arm you with? A pistol and an AR. Meh.

And whats with super soldiers not carrying enough damn ammo on them? I'm going to single handedly save the world - lets see, yeah, three clips should suffice. Sure. Yeah. SMH.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Squall ASF said:
I'm guessing the Hog trick is getting it over the barrier so you can use it against the Hunters and all the other enemies right before the elevator. What are the other two tricks you're referring to?

Falcon - PP a Falcon out of the air, shortly after you get your vehicle, and use it to skip to the bunker and kill the waves of troops before the door locks.

Forklift/Nighfall - when you get to the Powerhouse at night part of the level, drive the forklift to the big gate that opens later on after the Hunters, park up beside it and hop out and you'll glitch past the gate and the entire section plus no enemies will spawn so you walk up the hill a bit and the level ends

Ah dammit I don't have enough time to commit to 1,000 kills in a week. My current Matchmaking MP Kills is at 1,372 (since release). And with a 45 hour work week coming up and 2 tests next week... first weekly challenge I won't be able to do.

Fuck.

GhaleonEB said:
But this is never communicated to anyone in the game. We longtime players just know it. I know someone who picked up Reach as his first Halo game and he had no idea. And he's already beaten the campaign!

The Tilt skull would be a place to communicate this - plasma for shields, bullets for health - but it just says "damage tables modified".

Is there any tooltips that come up for that? I know when I went back to do some achievements in normal a bunch of stuff was coming up.

Ramirez

Shake Appeal said:
Valid complaints, when expressed repetitiously and with an overweening air of entitlement, can turn annoying.

And everyone has a different understanding of what is 'valid'.

Well then what's the point of this thread if we can't do anything but be 100% happy with the game? It is a discussion forum after all, be that positive or negative.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhaleonEB said:

Why should all the tricks and niggles be put out there outright? Then they aren't tricks anymore. Level playing field perhaps but the sense of discovery is gone, the same sense how you have to learn how to drive the Warthog or else you'll just roll it everywhere.

Mr. Sam

I can now personally attest to the weekly - and daily - challenges breaking objective gametypes. People completely ignore the objective and just camp near chokepoints, trying to rack up kills.

Also, Elite Slayer sucks. Anything but AL is worthless.

enzo_gt said:
Why should all the tricks and niggles be put out there outright? Then they aren't tricks anymore. Level playing field perhaps but the sense of discovery is gone, the same sense how you have to learn how to drive the Warthog or else you'll just roll it everywhere.
The sense of discovery assumes that the game communicates this somehow. It doesn't.

Now, like I said, I *knew* this already from playing previous Halos and reading up on the game. There are some enemies in this game that are glitched (that area anyway) and soem scenarios where you are armed with damn weak, limited ammo weapons against soe truly formidable foes. And that's taking into account that enemies usually drop weapons that are handy against their bosses or the following waves of bad guys. Hell, thats the reason I was able to make a solid go at the end of POA, because I held on to the needler rifle from the previous fight I was able to three shot the waves of Brutes.

Ramirez said:
Well then what's the point of this thread if we can't do anything but be 100% happy with the game? It is a discussion forum after all, be that positive or negative.

Weren't you bitching about credit/challenge bitching also?

Dani said:
Falcon - PP a Falcon out of the air, shortly after you get your vehicle, and use it to skip to the bunker and kill the waves of troops before the door locks.

Forklift/Nighfall - when you get to the Powerhouse at night part of the level, drive the forklift to the big gate that opens later on after the Hunters, park up beside it and hop out and you'll glitch past the gate and the entire section plus no enemies will spawn so you walk up the hill a bit and the level ends

The only Falcon I can think of besides the one that drops you off at the start is the one that lowers when your near the rebel houses before encountering the first enemies. I'll have to take another look.

Isn't that the very end of Nightfall anyway? Or you saying there's a gate to skip to that area from the beginning? Sorry, having a hard time remembering the full level layout.

Sibylus

Banned
NullPointer said:
Absolutely agreed, but in the particular battle I brought up there was no engineer. I know about them from ODST, and they give off that extra blue overshield effect. These were elites and grunts just before facing off against the last Hunters in POA. You're in a room with two big ore smelters or something. No engineers, just a few medium elites, jackals and grunts. And believe me, some of these guys were glitched. I caught one elite at a distance who wasn't really dodging or reacting to my shots, so I took that opportunity to drop him. So, with only the delay from reloading a few times I plugged him, center of mass, with three full clips of DMR - and his shields still still didn't pop. When I eventually died and the checkpoint restarted it seemed to clear up though.
I encountered this issue in the very same room, the Ultra's shields weren't taking damage at all. I figured it was some sort of constraint to keep the Elites undamaged by the NPCs until you ran through a trigger up ahead.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Mr. Sam said:

Blasphemy.

Elite slayer is awesome. I only use evade and constantly rack up 20-30 kills in it. Those are usually my best games.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Squall ASF said:
The only Falcon I can think of besides the one that drops you off at the start is the one that lowers when your near the rebel houses before encountering the first enemies. I'll have to take another look.

Isn't that the very end of Nightfall anyway? Or you saying there's a gate to skip to that area from the beginning? Sorry, having a hard time remembering the full level layout.

This and this.

Botolf said:
I encountered this issue in the very same room, the Ultra's shields weren't taking damage at all. I figured it was some sort of constraint to keep the Elites undamaged by the NPCs until you ran through a trigger up ahead.
Damn good point. Both times I experienced it I was firing from either the window or doorway of the room with the marines down to the enemies below.

ultron87

enzo_gt said:

Fundamental things about the way the game plays shouldn't just be left to the player to figure out.

I think the most glaring issue is the engineers in campaign. I don't recall any NPC once even mentioning that engineers exist, much less that they are the cause of the enemies having extra shields. Someone that didn't play ODST would have no idea that they should be searching the ceiling of the room for a little floating organic looking thing to shoot.

MrBig

LunaticPuma said:
Blasphemy.

Elite slayer is awesome. I only use evade and constantly rack up 20-30 kills in it. Those are usually my best games.
I love it because no one else cares to pick up the focus rifle. That's 7-10 instant kills for me. It's even easier to use than the sniper (which I'm good at as well, but I can never pick it up unless i hover the spawn) and takes care of everyone who uses armor lock easily.

Hugbot

LunaticPuma said:
Blasphemy.

spawn left trigger left trigger get stuck die spawn left trigger...

Mr. Sam said:
I can now personally attest to the weekly - and daily - challenges breaking objective gametypes. People completely ignore the objective and just camp near chokepoints, trying to rack up kills.

I beg to differ.

PP overcharge + roll forward + punch = win

NH Apache

Banned
MrBig said:
I love it because no one else cares to pick up the focus rifle. That's 7-10 instant kills for me. It's even easier to use than the sniper (which I'm good at as well, but I can never pick it up unless i hover the spawn) and takes care of everyone who uses armor lock easily.

I can get great assists from the focus rifle, but thats it. Maybe I'm not using it correctly.

NullPointer said:
The sense of discovery assumes that the game communicates this somehow. It doesn't.

Now, like I said, I *knew* this already from playing previous Halos and reading up on the game. There are some enemies in this game that are glitched (that area anyway) and soem scenarios where you are armed with damn weak, limited ammo weapons against soe truly formidable foes. And that's taking into account that enemies usually drop weapons that are handy against their bosses or the following waves of bad guys. Hell, thats the reason I was able to make a solid go at the end of POA, because I held on to the needler rifle from the previous fight I was able to three shot the waves of Brutes.

Yes, how they communicate this stuff is really important, there are some subtle mechanisms that work to that effect, like taking PP overcharge to watch your shields drop, or watching how PP weakens Jackals shields, but some more direct training would benefit things dramatically. For example, maybe a super shielded enemy whose shields are only damaged with plasma weapons, presented early in the game would be a good way to tell players "Hey, try that green goo over there." That kind of training is something that Bungie normally puts a lot of effort into, for example, there's almost always an early fight in each game where you have an easy flanking position that makes the fight much easier. Kind of a good way for Bungie to tell players, "Hey, don't just charge in, try going right to get close to that elite!"

For some reason though, H3 was really terrible about this, between the brutes poorly explained armour mechanic, and the flood who were suddenly immune to bullets, but went down to plasma, after 2 games of just the opposite, it just got frustrating.

As for overall ammo counts, I kind of love that design decision, because it gives a really tangible reward for exploring the enviroment. Finding that DMR over on a dead body that's sitting in an area most players just blow by is a great reward for those people who like to take it slow and go to every nook and cranny.

Team Stickies (Elite Slayer) is awesome! I can never get enough sticking someone and then AL'ing to survive the explosion. Even more satisfying than when I'd stick and evade backwards. If your tool of destruction isn't the plasma grenade, you're doing it wrong! ;)

Focus rifle was awesome in the beta but it's garbage now. You get an easy 7 kills with it? I laugh when people spray that thing at me, never lose that battle, ever. Now skirmishers on Legendary are another story...that crap is annoying.

Raide

Anyone that played previous Halo games already knows about the sweet, sweet noob-combo.

They don't explain it really in Campaign but the PP + DMR or even Magnum, is pure bliss.

Raide said:
Anyone that played previous Halo games already knows about the sweet, sweet noob-combo.

They don't explain it really in Campaign but the PP + DMR or even Magnum, is pure bliss.

Really helps when doing Legendary on solo.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
GhaleonEB said:
You really don't need it at all though. I still used it a few times, but never relied on it. Of course, I'm not a good example since I seldom waste ammo. Nearly two thirds of my kills also gave me a headshot award too. :lol

Mr. Sam

Why when someone quits on my team does the other team immediately resort to camping with power weapons? Every time. You'd think superior numbers would mean people wouldn't resort to such tactics. Oh well, I'll usually draw or win anyway.

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
At first I was like :lol

Then I realized the video just showcases another glitch in the shitty physics engine...so I was like the opposite of the smiley face.
It obviously not the fault of Havok, one of the best physics engines in the industry. It's because it got stuck in a knee guard in the same way you could always be stuck with a frag in previous games. It just hasn't happened before because there was never a time where you were invulnerable and had a place for a rocket to be caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom