• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

krakov

Just played a game of BTB which started of with a more than 1 min long host migrate. When I was first able to control my character we were down by 10 and I had the wrong load out. Fun times.

NZNova

divisionbyzorro said:
Okay GAF - I need help with my Solo Legendary run!

I'm on the fourth (real) mission; I believe it's called Tip of the Spear. I'm on what I believe is the final encounter, although it's been a while since my Heroic run and I don't specifically recall. I need to take down an AA gun which is guarded by two Wraiths down low, two Hunters up top, and the usual assortment of elites and jackals. I get the feeling I was supposed to have saved the Plasma Launcher for this; unfortunately, I used it up on some Ghosts earlier. I have a Plasma Pistol and a Needler, and I'm in a Revenant. Repeated attempts to stun the wraiths have failed.

1) Am I screwed?
2) If I restart the mission from Rally Point Bravo, instead of loading up my save, will I still be credited with beating the mission on Legendary? Or do I have to start over if I want to grab that Plasma Launcher?

I'm probably late to the party on this one but oh well. The revenant can take out everything in that area for you. I used it to take down the wraiths (stay at a distance close enough that you can hit it before it dodges the shots from the revenant but not so close you get hit by plasma shots from the passenger, or shots from the main cannon), and surrounding troops, and you can even kill the hunters and drones with it too if you're not comfortable doing a quick in'n'out past them all to blow the AA gun.

Willeth

NZNova said:
I'm probably late to the party on this one but oh well. The revenant can take out everything in that area for you. I used it to take down the wraiths (stay at a distance close enough that you can hit it before it dodges the shots from the revenant but not so close you get hit by plasma shots from the passenger, or shots from the main cannon), and surrounding troops, and you can even kill the hunters and drones with it too if you're not comfortable doing a quick in'n'out past them all to blow the AA gun.
There's a Warthog balanced on the broken bridge near the entrance if you want to drive and let Kat shoot stuff. Also, if you're in a vehicle and return to under that bridge, you'll checkpoint every time. Rush out, kill guys, don't afraid of anything, and rush back to the bridge to regen and checkpoint. It makes the whole area a cinch.

Of course, you can just do what I did and just take the rocket hog through the building and all the way there. Bye bye Hunters. :lol

chase

I've finished in the bottom 2 (ranking or k/d ratio) in 26 straight SWAT games. Either the matching system doesn't work, or I'm literally the worst halo player in the world. I had a rank in the mid 40s in H3 and was at 1.2 k/d in the other gametypes. Certainly nothing to brag about, but something that doesn't place me at or near the bottom of average players.

What's going on?

http://www.develop-online.net/news/36173/Steve-Jobs-raged-at-Microsoft-over-game-studio-sale

New information has come to light revealing the Apple CEO was furious to lose Mac-loving Bungie to Microsoft back when Halo was an unknown quantity.
Ed Fries, the former vice president of game publishing at Microsoft, and the man central to Microsoft’s acquisition of Rare and Bungie, told Develop he had to personally broker a deal with Apple back in 2000 to appease the indomitable Macintosh boss.
“As soon as we announced we bought Bungie, Steve Jobs called,” Fries said.
“He was mad at [Microsoft CEO Steve] Ballmer and phoned him up and was angry because we’d just bought the premier Mac game developer and made them an Xbox developer.”

NZNova

Dax01 said:
My favorite encounter New Alexandria is the one where you have to take out four Hunters. So good.

Did that one last night. Stealth up behind one, shotgun up the arse, stealth away, repeat. Worked really well :D

Also, the fact that the drop shield regenerates your shields and health has saved me many times. I really like that all of the armour abilities are useful in single player.

GhaleonEB

NZNova said:
Did that one last night. Stealth up behind one, shotgun up the arse, stealth away, repeat. Worked really well :D

Also, the fact that the drop shield regenerates your shields and health has saved me many times. I really like that all of the armour abilities are useful in single player.
On my Legendary run, I went in there with a Nerfle filled with all four extra clips, and used that to tag the Hunters from the balcony where you enter the club. Every time they turned around, I'd nail them in the back three times for a super combine or two, then pull back when they fired on me. They'd then get distracted by the NPCs, and I'd come back for a few more rounds. Four clips later, I had three dead Hunters. The 4th dropped to the rockets in the center of the dance floor.

I spent 15 minutes dancing with those guys on Heroic. Which, given the setting, was entirely fitting. :lol

I love the New Alexandria mission, but I wish the infantry encounters (the Hunter and Drone ones) were a bit longer.

Ramirez

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I think it would be appropriate if we analyzed other multi-player games (with servers dedicated and non-dedicated) to try to come up with some reasons as to why they may or may not be successful in execution. Perhaps we could compile these ideas and petition them to 343 or maybe even Bungie and they could implement them in a future update.

Halo isn't like CoD, it wouldn't work.

NZNova

GhaleonEB said:
On my Legendary run, I went in there with a Nerfle filled with all four extra clips, and used that to tag the Hunters from the balcony where you enter the club. Every time they turned around, I'd nail them in the back three times for a super combine or two, then pull back when they fired on me. They'd then get distracted by the NPCs, and I'd come back for a few more rounds. Four clips later, I had three dead Hunters. The 4th dropped to the rockets in the center of the dance floor.

I spent 15 minutes dancing with those guys on Heroic. Which, given the setting, was entirely fitting. :lol

I love the New Alexandria mission, but I wish the infantry encounters (the Hunter and Drone ones) were a bit longer.

I did the drone trap on New Alexandria on Legendary the same way I did it on Heroic - stealthed up and GTFO. Didn't fire a shot on either difficulty, just legged it straight back to the elevator. It's not chickenshit if you're being smart about it, honest.

ShinAmano

NZNova said:
I did the drone trap on New Alexandria on Legendary the same way I did it on Heroic - stealthed up and GTFO. Didn't fire a shot on either difficulty, just legged it straight back to the elevator. It's not chickenshit if you're being smart about it, honest.
That is what I did on my solo legendary run...I had nothing to combat the bugs at that point.

SuperBonk

GhaleonEB said:

Heh, on my legendary run, the NPCs died so fast against the hunters so I just sprinted past them, de-activated the jammer, and sprinted the hell out of there.

GhaleonEB said:

I hated the drone encounter (we're talking about the one in Reflection, right). They move too fast and you hardly have any cover.

Speaking of enemies in Reach, the more I play against Skirmishers, the more I see them as an unnecessary addition.

SuperBonk

Dax01 said:
I hated the drone encounter (we're talking about the one in Reflection, right). They move too fast and you hardly have any cover.

Speaking of enemies in Reach, the more I play against Skirmishers, the more I see them as an unnecessary addition.
I really like Skirmishers if only for the fact that every time I headshot them, they go flying.

chase said:
I've finished in the bottom 2 (ranking or k/d ratio) in 26 straight SWAT games. Either the matching system doesn't work, or I'm literally the worst halo player in the world. I had a rank in the mid 40s in H3 and was at 1.2 k/d in the other gametypes. Certainly nothing to brag about, but something that doesn't place me at or near the bottom of average players.

What's going on?

I have been averaging +5 to +10 over most of the last couple of weeks (Team Slayer). All of a sudden it is a struggle to even hit a 0....weird.

FIX IT BUNGIE!

Trasher

Domino Theory said:
Checked my rank offline. I'll be Colonel Grade 1 when the pointless level cap is lifted.

So much for seeing what Commander looks like. :(
160357m.png

NZNova

I'm really not looking forward to the last two missions. The end of The Package was a real bastard on Heroic, I can only imagine how it's going to be on Legendary. And the last mission..... yikes. D:

(at least there's no fucking flood mission)

NZNova said:

Thanks! I suck with the Revenant cannon, but I guess it's time to learn how to arc it properly!

TheOddOne

Only did the Shootin' and Lootin and Points, Points challenges today. The rest was too tedious for my liking. Also kinda started shitty on BTB, then got crazy good 18-4, 15-4 and 17-2.

Chrange

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

I used it to blow off their back shield, then I circled them to draw out the melee swing and hammered them in the back with my own melee once I'd avoided it. Got shots off with the shotgun when I could, but I had trouble keeping the timing for avoiding return attacks down using the shotgun.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:

Aye, I sprinted past the Drone encounter as well. And in my co-op Legendary run, we did the same for the Hunters, but on this run I wanted to man up and see if I could take them out. Turned out with some planning, it worked very well.

I love the Skirmishers, but I see them as a replacement for the Drones. That's what they are in Firefight, a fast-moving enemy that can scale over the normal routes of transit the rest of the Covenant use (scaling large walls, getting behind you if you blink, etc.). They're more fun to fight because you can still predict the routes and plan accordingly, and their hyper speed can still be countered with good reflexes. They keep me on my toes and as has been mentioned, are a delight to headshot.

Which is why I was a bit bummed to see Drones in the Campaign again; their three encounters or so aren't fun. Imagine if Reflection got flooded with Skirmishers when you hit the button - I'd have actually stuck around and mowed through speedy little bastards.

Speaking of which, on the co-op Legendary run, I made the decision to run like hell while my partner was gearing up for the fight. He gets into position and I sprint past him yelling, "I'm getting the hell out of here!" I make it to the elevator and hit the button, then turn around and see him rushing for the door, getting pounded by Drones, just as the doors close in front of him. :lol

Ah, teamwork.

Doodis

NZNova said:
I'm really not looking forward to the last two missions. The end of The Package was a real bastard on Heroic, I can only imagine how it's going to be on Legendary. And the last mission..... yikes. D:

(at least there's no fucking flood mission)
Just finished my legendary run last night. And yes, The Package was awful. The beginning of the Boneyard area and then the very end had me pulling my hair out. But I'm kind of not good at being awesome at games.

EDIT: Also, I failed to kill one enemy on Lone Wolf. Not a great way to finish up my legendary playthrough, but fitting nonetheless. :lol

cool_dude_2049 said:
Unfortunately, petitions don't do much. We can see what happens when the Gears of War 3 beta rolls with dedicated servers. That would be a prime example to compare p2p and dedicated servers. In Halo's case, since it relies so much on host, I really don't see a drop in/out kind of service to be an option.

When I said petition I didn't mean a literal petition. I meant to ask or appeal to them through any means available (emails, threads, posts, etc)

Ramirez said:
Halo isn't like CoD, it wouldn't work.

Where did I mention CoD? Notice I said games which is plural. I'd like to think that HaloGaf is open to suggestions. Even if they may come from other multiplayer games. In any game no matter what the style is, its always intelligent to examine other products to see what works and what doesn't.

You should know I'm not talking about gameplay "style". I'm talking about features to reduce the probability of quitting. Features that could be neutral in their implementation but overall positively effect the experience of the community.

Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Uncharted and yes...CoD are just a few games we could look at.

Hugbot

Foxy Fox 39 said:
You should know I'm not talking about gameplay "style". I'm talking about features to reduce the probability of quitting. Features that could be neutral in their implementation but overall positively effect the experience of the community.
Measures like including join-in-progress that are intended to lower the impact of quitting also have a significant impact on the gameplay "style" so that's not a meaningful distinction. It's also not a feature that even has a remote chance of being patched into Reach so it's kind of a moot point. I'd think people should be more concerned with improvements that have the chance of seeing the light of day (win bonuses and quit penalties) and how best to implement those/if they should be implemented at all.

ShinAmano said:
So seriously I need teammates. I am on almost every night after 7pm est. My tag is ShinAmano and I am already on some of your lists...hit me up to play in any mode.

Mikasangelos said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=Miguelangelos

hit me up, im online usually every night around 8 and play til 11. Comparing our stats we look to be the same type of caliber player. LETS DO THIS.

Added both of you guys. I'm still new to HaloGAF but I'm always looking for some good teammates and cool people to play with. I'd say I'm a pretty decent player as well.

The Big Team Battle community really sucks ass. Nobody ever wants to play objective games, everyone picks hemorrhage every damn time, people betray, and I'm lucky to have half the team remaining at the end of the game.

chase

timmytheman123 said:
The Big Team Battle community really sucks ass. Nobody ever wants to play objective games, everyone picks hemorrhage every damn time, people betray, and I'm lucky to have half the team remaining at the end of the game.

You should totally just play with gaffers everyone else is dum. Why don't people appreciate objective? It's so strategic it's like reading Finnegan's Wake, but interactive. So much better than btb. Maybe you should try that.

chase said:
You should totally just play with gaffers everyone else is dum. Why don't people appreciate objective? It's so strategic it's like reading Finnegan's Wake, but interactive. So much better than btb. Maybe you should try that.

Objective was pretty much all I played back in the Halo 2 days.

Since Halo 3 though I haven't been able to stay with it. Way too many idiots who don't understand how objective games work and just focus on getting kills. It's a constant game of, "hey guys, they have our flag... guys... GUYS? Fuck is nobody else gonna even try shooting at the flag carrier? Anybody want to help me recover the flag? No?"

Had some good fun in Team Objective tonight. It's nice to play CTF without insane flag return times.

Since Halo 3 though I haven't been able to stay with it. Way too many idiots who don't understand how objective games work and just focus on getting kills. It's a constant game of, "hey guys, they have our flag... guys... GUYS? Fuck is nobody else gonna even try shooting at the flag carrier? Anybody want to help me recover the flag? No?"

Eh, I thought the level of skill in Team Objective in H3 wasn't too bad, it was just the terrible gametypes & maps that were the problem (which of course got the playlist killed off). It probably did help that it was ranked, which also means no guests allowed, which also helps significantly with this.

In Reach though, it's a nightmare. But I also blame the player investment system which gives players strong incentives to completely ignore the game and just kill anything in sight.

Schmitty

Wow, didn't realize that the Noble Map Pack has a trailer out. Tempest is going to be fun. Anchor 9 looks so much better in motion than it did from the screens.

Photolysis said:
Eh, I thought the level of skill in Team Objective in H3 wasn't too bad, it was just the terrible gametypes & maps that were the problem (which of course got the playlist killed off). It probably did help that it was ranked, which also means no guests allowed, which also helps significantly with this.

In Reach though, it's a nightmare. But I also blame the player investment system which gives players strong incentives to completely ignore the game and just kill anything in sight.

Yep, it's the worst in Reach. I've only played a couple of matches in it and it's ridiculous how little teamwork there is. The investment system definitely rewards selfish play a lot more than helping the team.

Edit: Of course, with custom/friend matches it's still a blast :D

timetokill said:
Yep, it's the worst in Reach. I've only played a couple of matches in it and it's ridiculous how little teamwork there is. The investment system definitely rewards selfish play a lot more than helping the team.

Agreed, objective makes me pull my hair out if I go in alone. Hell, I won't even play it with one friend. Minimum three of us going in or forget about it because you just can't compensate for horrible teammates in an objective gametype. In halo 3, you tended to get the most experience points for capturing a flag vs killing. Not sure why they haven't extended that over to Reach but it's a no brainer to reward those players the most.

Hugbot

Squall ASF said:
Agreed, objective makes me pull my hair out if I go in alone. Hell, I won't even play it with one friend. Minimum three of us going in or forget about it because you just can't compensate for horrible teammates in an objective gametype. In halo 3, you tended to get the most experience points for capturing a flag vs killing. Not sure why they haven't extended that over to Reach but it's a no brainer to reward those players the most.
If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was to discourage betraying your flag carrier (or sapping his shields and getting him killed) and other less-than-noble ways you could get credit for completing an objective. I think they came down on the wrong side of it and objective completions need to give out a reasonable amount of cR, but it could be a pretty valid concern.

GhaleonEB said:
Aye, I sprinted past the Drone encounter as well. And in my co-op Legendary run, we did the same for the Hunters, but on this run I wanted to man up and see if I could take them out. Turned out with some planning, it worked very well.
Drop Shield saved my ass on the drone encounter in Reflection. But yeah, I ended up hoofing it out of there as soon as I could.

I didn't mind fighting them in POA though as they were more spread out, and hologram made for easy headshots and combine explosions.

Also, nice tip on the super-combine explosions against Hunters. Didn't realize that until the other day and then felt like a fool that I didn't try it earlier. Makes short work of their back armor.

MrBig

NullPointer said:
I didn't mind fighting them in POA though as they were more spread out, and hologram made for easy headshots and combine explosions..
That cave is the most beautiful closed environment in the game, why did they ruin it with the two most unfun enemies?

I've not played reach for a good 2 weeks and went back in today for some multi, ouch i'm somehow getting mixed up with the old halp 3 / odst controls again.

But sadly after about 5 games I had to stop, something about halo is losing it's charm with me, i'm not feeling it, boardwalk is a shitty map too annoying :lol

MrBig said:
That cave is the most beautiful closed environment in the game, why did they ruin it with the two most unfun enemies?
Hey now, I love skirmishers. Especially when they fly through the air after a nice headshot.

Drones are also OK when not in a swarm. Here and there they'd make nice vertical flankers. But we always get them in swarms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom