• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Ramirez said:
Omlet, Colonel is after Commander, you've already passed through it.

Yeah, that's why I was sad about not being able to see my rank progress through Commander. It just jumps straight to CG1.

@Trasher: Thanks, haha. :p

Oh well, I've got a two week attention span left for this level cap anyways. :lol

Beat legendary alone over the weekend finally; then jumped into some invasion matchmaking. Immediately had to boot some douche for team killing. Then the next game somebody just idled.

Ugh, people suck. I don't see how one is supposed to get the skunked achievement with the utter lack of teamwork.

Hugbot

state-of-the-art said:
Beat legendary alone over the weekend finally; then jumped into some invasion matchmaking. Immediately had to boot some douche for team killing. Then the next game somebody just idled.

Ugh, people suck. I don't see how one is supposed to get the skunked achievement with the utter lack of teamwork.
Easy, you wait for all the dicks to be on the other team.

timetokill said:
Yep, it's the worst in Reach. I've only played a couple of matches in it and it's ridiculous how little teamwork there is. The investment system definitely rewards selfish play a lot more than helping the team.

Edit: Of course, with custom/friend matches it's still a blast :D

I can agree with that. I was quite fortunate tonight because I only went in with one friend, but my teammates were pretty competent. Crazy King on Zealot seems weird but in a good way. I ended up getting 10 assists as well, completing the last of today's challenges.

When you get a solid team and a decent/gametype map, Reach really does play superbly, especially in objectives. It's just a bit unfortunate that there are several major hurdles in getting that to happen.

Hugbot said:
If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was to discourage betraying your flag carrier (or sapping his shields and getting him killed) and other less-than-noble ways you could get credit for completing an objective. I think they came down on the wrong side of it and objective completions need to give out a reasonable amount of cR, but it could be a pretty valid concern.

You know what would fix a great many problems in one shot? Removing friendly fire completely. It would wipe out at least 75 percent of all grieving right there. No more betraying for power weapons or vehicles, no more taking down shields so the enemy can kill your teammate easily, no more betraying for flag captures. It goes on and on and I think that is a million times the lesser evil than what we have now. Who cares if you can be more careless in your attacks if it eliminates a HUGE percentage of grievers?

They also need to take a leaf from Halo 3's book and get rid of the minus points for suicides. Do they not remember why they did that in the first place? Because countless grievers would blow themselves up the second they spawned all game to piss their teammates off in Halo 2... I was so happy they fixed that for 3 and now we're back to square one.

Squall ASF said:
You know what would fix a great many problems in one shot? Removing friendly fire completely. It would wipe out at least 75 percent of all grieving right there. No more betraying for power weapons or vehicles, no more taking down shields so the enemy can kill your teammate easily, no more betraying for flag captures. It goes on and on and I think that is a million times the lesser evil than what we have now. Who cares if you can be more careless in your attacks if it eliminates a HUGE percentage of grievers?

They also need to take a leaf from Halo 3's book and get rid of the minus points for suicides. Do they not remember why they did that in the first place? Because countless grievers would blow themselves up the second they spawned all game to piss their teammates off in Halo 2... I was so happy they fixed that for 3 and now we're back to square one.

Who are you guys playing with that this happens so often? I get maybe 1 idiot every week who pisses me off.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Squall ASF said:
You know what would fix a great many problems in one shot? Removing friendly fire completely.

I've said this a few times before (both here and on HBO) and I get the same responses: "No way, man, that'll just make everyone careless with grenades, create excessive nade spamming and no attention to detail when it comes to power weapons such as spamming rockets."

As if that doesn't happen already WITH friendly fire on? :lol

Hugbot said:
Measures like including join-in-progress that are intended to lower the impact of quitting also have a significant impact on the gameplay "style" so that's not a meaningful distinction. It's also not a feature that even has a remote chance of being patched into Reach so it's kind of a moot point. I'd think people should be more concerned with improvements that have the chance of seeing the light of day (win bonuses and quit penalties) and how best to implement those/if they should be implemented at all.

When I mention we could consider what other games do someone says Halo is not Cod.

When I again clarify not just cod or any specific feature but many features(read:ideas, changes, something new. i.e a patch) that could work to help the problem, you pinpoint one feature (join in progress) and try argue your point on that one feature.

And anyway, I'm not seriously advocating join in progress because I don't know the can of worms that it could potentially open, but I don't think it would have a significant impact on gameplay style. Whether someone is open to join or leave at any time has no bearing on the game engine or pre-existing code. Just because it has an impact on the game itself does not mean it has an impact on the style of the game. For instance armor permutations have no bearing on gameplay style at all, yet it does change the way people play depending on their love for credits and the aesthetic pieces themselves.

Gameplay style and the way people play are two different things. People perpetually quitting in Halo would be considered how they play, not a style of Halos gameplay for another example.

I just thought it would be interesting for HaloGaf to combine their heads and come up with a decent solution for this problem...that to be honest seems to plague halo most as opposed to other games. This is why I thought a discussion would be meaningful, especially with so many developers on Gaf.

GhaleonEB said:
Aye, I sprinted past the Drone encounter as well. And in my co-op Legendary run, we did the same for the Hunters, but on this run I wanted to man up and see if I could take them out. Turned out with some planning, it worked very well.

I love the Skirmishers, but I see them as a replacement for the Drones. That's what they are in Firefight, a fast-moving enemy that can scale over the normal routes of transit the rest of the Covenant use (scaling large walls, getting behind you if you blink, etc.). They're more fun to fight because you can still predict the routes and plan accordingly, and their hyper speed can still be countered with good reflexes. They keep me on my toes and as has been mentioned, are a delight to headshot.

Which is why I was a bit bummed to see Drones in the Campaign again; their three encounters or so aren't fun. Imagine if Reflection got flooded with Skirmishers when you hit the button - I'd have actually stuck around and mowed through speedy little bastards.

Speaking of which, on the co-op Legendary run, I made the decision to run like hell while my partner was gearing up for the fight. He gets into position and I sprint past him yelling, "I'm getting the hell out of here!" I make it to the elevator and hit the button, then turn around and see him rushing for the door, getting pounded by Drones, just as the doors close in front of him. :lol

Ah, teamwork.
Gotta say, I do enjoy headshotting Drones now because they explode afterwards.

ElRenoRaven

Domino Theory said:
I've said this a few times before (both here and on HBO) and I get the same responses: "No way, man, that'll just make everyone careless with grenades, create excessive nade spamming and no attention to detail when it comes to power weapons such as spamming rockets."

I couldn't agree any more with you then I do. I've personally never been a friendly fire fan. Also as you said all those things happen now even with friendly fire on so it really wouldn't be any different. That's my opinion on that anyway. I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
I couldn't agree any more with you then I do. I've personally never been a friendly fire fan. Also as you said all those things happen now even with friendly fire on so it really wouldn't be any different. That's my opinion on that anyway. I'm sure there will be plenty who disagree.
As long as there was a system for detecting guys griefing the team and enabling a boot. Such as shoving players around with vehicles, ramming them with Ghosts, hitting them with rockets, etc. With FF turned off I think griefers would use other players as a sort of physics experiment.

Falt

Made Lt. Colonel tonight! Splurged and blew about 150k worth of cR on shiny things I don't really need. Retail therapy without the retail... or the therapy for that matter.

cuevas said:
Who are you guys playing with that this happens so often? I get maybe 1 idiot every week who pisses me off.

Pretty much. My experience with team grievers is few and far between. Quitters would be my number one pet peeve
AND FUCKING ARMOUR LOCK WHORES!

Just wondering, how far is everyone with the weekly challenge? Done for the night with 318/1000.

Kujo

Was playing BTB slayer on Coagulation before, 3/4 of my team quit, so it ended up being 8v2. The other team had both Wraiths so me and my teammate just stayed around the cave bit. At that point they were winning, but then they kept trying to get us in the cave and one by one we kept killing them. In the end we won by 2 points, felt good

How to stop people quitting? You can't really. And you can't put a too harsh penalty since Bungie can't tell the difference between a lag out, disconnection, or a manual quit. I think the solution is just let people quit or forfeit a game without penalty if 3/4 of their team leaves.

Kapura

Banned
Gonna post it here to so somebody can grab it before Gaf customs, but I just finished a big team map, Typhon. Click the image for the post in the forge thread:

ataboada

Quick question since I was out of the Reach loop for a week or two:

Does anyone know if Bungie ended up fixing the Co-op problem with the 2Gb Slims? I know there is Matchmaking now, but I still want to play with a friend who has a Slim.

Thanks!

MrBig

ataboada said:
Quick question since I was out of the Reach loop for a week or two:

Does anyone know if Bungie ended up fixing the Co-op problem with the 2Gb Slims? I know there is Matchmaking now, but I still want to play with a friend who has a Slim.

Thanks!
Microsoft is looking in to it, theres nothing bungie can do.

KevinRo

Domino Theory said:

No.

Taking friendly fire off is retarded. Maybe the people you play with betray and kill people on the norm but I can only list a couple times where I've been killed by a teamate and that was during a firefight with someone on the opposite team. If your teamate is dumb enough to betray you then that's on your team and your lack of judgement. Get better teamates.

KevinRo said:
No.

Taking friendly fire off is retarded. Maybe the people you play with betray and kill people on the norm but I can only list a couple times where I've been killed by a teamate and that was during a firefight with someone on the opposite team. If your teamate is dumb enough to betray you then that's on your team and your lack of judgement. Get better teamates.

BTB...

Are you going to be able to join with a full team EVERY time? BTW, I don't know how I feel about friendly fire. I'm just bringing up the obvious flaw in your argument.

Church RvB said:
BTB...

Are you going to be able to join with a full team EVERY time? BTW, I don't know how I feel about friendly fire. I'm just bringing up the obvious flaw in your argument.

You guys must be doing something to get griefed so much that you think it's a problem, even in BTB I don't get them. Quiters? Yes, that is a problem that everyone deals with.

Plywood said:

does ad block plus affect it? It looks like it would be in the middle but I just see black

edit: I when I disable ad block plus, it comes out. No wonder why I never saw it.

edit2: Just so you know that I'm not that stupid
n59yj.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
cuevas said:
You guys must be doing something to get griefed so much that you think it's a problem, even in BTB I don't get them. Quiters? Yes, that is a problem that everyone deals with.
Just about 1 out of every 3 games on Hemorrhage I get betrayed or killed because of a teammate in a vehicle. I don't RUN down the middle of the damn field I work my way along the sides of the map if I'm on foot, yet I'm getting bumped, ran over and shot by teammates in vehicles, or I'll get the oh so helpful teammate who thinks they should drive their empty hog in the middle of my LINE OF FIRE.

aslkjdfnsdklfnklnggjnhds

@cooldude gotcha.

Sai-kun

Banned
Plywood said:
Just about 1 out of every 3 games on Hemorrhage I get betrayed or killed because of a teammate in a vehicle. I don't RUN down the middle of the damn field I work my way along the sides of the map if I'm on foot, yet I'm getting bumped, ran over and shot by teammates in vehicles, or I'll get the oh so helpful teammate who thinks they should drive their empty hog in the middle of my LINE OF FIRE.

aslkjdfnsdklfnklnggjnhds

@cooldude gotcha.

I'm not always this person, but I am sometimes, and in my defense I'd like to say the Warthog is really hard to just stop once it's moving. So someone will get out/i'll be trying to get someone in, and they'll kinda run in front of me, and I'll turn or accidentally fishtail them at 3 mph and kill them/break their shields :lol

Plywood said:

aslkjdfnsdklfnklnggjnhds

@cooldude gotcha.

You must be doing something wrong, I got TKed once on purpose for my sniper and that's it. I get betrayed more than that but I understand most of them are a combination of my bad positioning and their bad nades/driving.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
cuevas said:
You must be doing something wrong, I got TKed once on purpose for my sniper and that's it. I get betrayed more than that but I understand most of them are a combination of my bad positioning and their bad nades/driving.
No see the issue is that it's like I'm not even there my teammates just don't seem to notice me, either they're driving away from enemy fire and bump/drive into me, or a wraith/revenant decides to fire off when I'm near a vehicle.

I've never had this problem on Halo 2 or 3.

So how about that weekly challenge?

When I first saw it I figured "1000 isn't that much", but for some reason I have no desire to play MM. I'll probably play for hours tomorrow or something, just so I don't miss any dailies/weeklies. :lol

MrBig

cool_dude_2049 said:
does ad block plus affect it? It looks like it would be in the middle but I just see black

edit: I when I disable ad block plus, it comes out. No wonder why I never saw it.

edit2: Just so you know that I'm not that stupid
http://imgur.com/n59yj.jpg[/IMG]
Ya, you can disable ad block for just bungie and then you'll be able to see the medals and everything else.

chapel

Banned
If any of you want to see if the thermometer has been updated, I have an automated script that checks and posts it to twitter immediately after it is changed.

You can just check here to see: #closer2commander

edit: fixed url

cuevas said:

It's not that I get killed by team mates often. It's just that when it does happen, it is memorable in a really shitty way.

Also, it's annoying when a team mate tries to get killed by you. I was in a BTB Hemorrhage game a few weeks ago. Some guy on my team drives a mongoose right down the middle of the map and boards the enemy tank. For ~20 seconds he just sits on the tank. Eventually I shoot the tank with my tank and get a betrayal. Booted.

... REALLY?

Turns out the guy had his party split and decided to grief.

Sibylus

Banned
enzo_gt said:
So there's no exploitable way of doing today's campaign challenge?
If you're talking about the Enemy Leader challenge, you can do it on Nightfall in minutes (checkpoints right before the first Elite, you can keep tapping his back). Worked for the "kill 50 Elites" challenge as well.

I really think Reach needs some sort of skill-based ranking system that everyone can see. Maybe if it would show your division no matter what playlist you were in. The only stats people can see (unless I'm mistaken) are meaningless stats that everyone gets to eventually. I never play Reach unless any of my friends are online because I don't care. Any game I play alone feels like wasted time because I'm not aiming towards anything. I could play Halo 3 Snipers alone all day trying to get my rank up but I'd never play social playlist alone.

Ramirez

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Where did I mention CoD? Notice I said games which is plural. I'd like to think that HaloGaf is open to suggestions. Even if they may come from other multiplayer games. In any game no matter what the style is, its always intelligent to examine other products to see what works and what doesn't.

You should know I'm not talking about gameplay "style". I'm talking about features to reduce the probability of quitting. Features that could be neutral in their implementation but overall positively effect the experience of the community.

Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Uncharted and yes...CoD are just a few games we could look at.

Since when did Gears of War get that feature? I'm almost positive bots replaced quit players in Gears 2, and I don't recall join in progress from the first either, but it's been a while.

It doesn't even work in CoD, IMO. No one likes to join a game mid progress and already be losing by a ton. CoD rewards players individually a lot better than any other MP game, so that is the only reason it works at all if you ask me.

It's not going to be added, but to not even be able to recognize why it's a terrible system is pretty baffling. The only reason people quit is because they're either outmatched or losing, I don't think I'm alone in saying I would not want my time wasted even more by joining a game where my team was already down 20.

GhaleonEB

Looks like the leaderboards on bungie.net are now pulling in the games from the updated Firefight playlists, and the games that had disappeared into the ether for me are all showing up.

Thanks, RocketMoose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom