• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
LTTP here,

Atoms a really nice little map, nice sightlines, the bases have good approaches, and good weapon choices. Spawning setup seems like it's done well. My only complaint about the map is spawning underneath the bases with zero in those rooms with zero orientation. It's a really nice addition to matchmaking.

Cliffside seems to have some issues though. One base has that stupid sniper perch, while the other base doesn't, WTF is up with that? I love the concept of a really strong middle that you need to control instead of just hanging in the bases, but that middle structure is kind of a mess with having 6 distinct entrances, 2 of which are teleporters. Just not a really great slayer map, might be good for CTF though.

Alright, I don't like Reflection (for Team Slayer at least). Most of the combat centers around the sniper spawn, and thus most of the map goes unused. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if the area the combat centered around was actually fun – it's not. It's just one long hallway with a lot of grenade explosions.

Dax01 said:
Just did Blastin' and Relaxin' on The Long Night of Solace.

<3 that level.
Me too. I'm curious to know who/what drives the Banshees and Seraphs; they never registered as Elites for one of the previous "kill this many Elites in Campaign" challenges. Do they count as enemies at all for the B&R Challenge?

squidhands said:
Me too. I'm curious to know who/what drives the Banshees and Seraphs; they never registered as Elites for one of the previous "kill this many Elites in Campaign" challenges. Do they count as enemies at all for the B&R Challenge?
Wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise.

StUnNeR H2K

Dax01 said:
Alright, I don't like Reflection (for Team Slayer at least). Most of the combat centers around the sniper spawn, and thus most of the map goes unused. Now, this wouldn't be a problem if the area the combat centered around was actually fun – it's not. It's just one long hallway with a lot of grenade explosions.

Even with the small differences the map plays the same as Ivory Tower did in Halo 2, and the focus point even then was around the sniper rifle and that top floor. It was really easy to hold that area down once you get the lead. I loved the Halo 2 days so I'm probably a bit biased toward the map, but I love the feel of it in Reach and I'm used to the fight to control the sniper spawn area.

WickedLaharl said:
if by "doing something" you mean getting in a vehicle before someone else that wanted it, then yes, i'm doing something to incite the griefing.

but seriously, your line of thinking is pretty damn narrow.
Sorry most people don't get as griefed for no reason as often as you do. The world has it out for you

Man that challenge meter on Bungie.net is moving fast. I was hoping to make Commander before it unlocked (well, "make" it in the sense of finishing Lt. Colonel 3, but I have 25k from Lt. Col 2 and all of 3 to go before I get there. Don't think I can make it in the middle of semester... :(

KevinRo

Dax01 said:

That's how it was in Halo2, Dax. Albeit the nades weren't as strong and deadly as in Reach but the Sniper spawn was held constantly. Mostly because you could perch up top and watch the rockets spawn and easily have access to the overshield spawn.

MLG version of Reflection totally throws all this out of the window. No reason to camp up top now, it's just a death trap.

cuevas said:
Sorry most people don't get as griefed for no reason as often as you do. The world has it out for you

eh i wouldn't say i get griefed that often but it does happen (mostly in BTB) and it's pretty silly to suggest that it only occurs because of some fault of my own.

StUnNeR H2K said:
Even with the small differences the map plays the same as Ivory Tower did in Halo 2, and the focus point even then was around the sniper rifle and that top floor. It was really easy to hold that area down once you get the lead. I loved the Halo 2 days so I'm probably a bit biased toward the map, but I love the feel of it in Reach and I'm used to the fight to control the sniper spawn area.

Yea, I agree with this, I also think Armour Abilities, and a well balanced Sword, really make the fight for those halls much more interesting. I really like jetpacking up to get a key grenade in there, or taking camo up the lift, and using AL as a distraction to give my team an opening.

IMO, I rank the remakes in reach like this Asylum > Reflection > Pinnacle > Hemorage. I might rank Pinnacle a little higher if they re-worked the weapons a bit, maybe add some nerfles/DMRs to the low areas so you could get some weapons to get a real pushback against a well set up team.

WickedLaharl said:
eh i wouldn't say i get griefed that often but it does happen (mostly in BTB) and it's pretty silly to suggest that it only occurs because of some fault of my own.

BTB is just a pit in general, it's where the quitters and griefers seem to love to go. I find the 4vs4 gametypes generally have much more reasonable players, and fewer quitters by a large magnitude. I had my second griefer (sniper betrayer) ever in team slayer this morning, while I've had 3-4 in a tenth of the games in BTB.

I'm just staying out of BTB without a big team until the DLC hits.

WickedLaharl said:

Getting griefed often was what we were talking about, thanks for the input.

Falt

I enjoy reflection. I tend to opt out of the top hallway battle if it's becoming a nade spam death rinse and repeat type deal. If you advise your team to stay out of the hallway, that usually changes things up.

KevinRo said:
MLG version of Reflection totally throws all this out of the window. No reason to camp up top now, it's just a death trap.

What changes did they make?

cuevas said:
Getting griefed often was what we were talking about, thanks for the input.

you're so very welcome!

that anyone can suggest that a player must do something wrong in order to become a target for griefing is mind boggling. :lol

just search youtube for an endless flood of vids created by assholes whose sole intent is to give randoms a hard time for the lulz

Genesis Knight said:
Man that challenge meter on Bungie.net is moving fast. I was hoping to make Commander before it unlocked (well, "make" it in the sense of finishing Lt. Colonel 3, but I have 25k from Lt. Col 2 and all of 3 to go before I get there. Don't think I can make it in the middle of semester... :(
But GAF told me it would be the end of December before the level cap was raised! :(

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
lol - and that means that - for a very short time, probably - I'm ahead of you on one of my leaderboards. :D (Courtyard Score Attack)
*checks daily Challenges*

Let me get back to you on that.

(That's a very good score.)

Edit: Freaking Brute round. :\

Notched a 3k cR Commendation, though, making for a 6,000 cR game of Score Attack with the daily Challenge. I was like, wow.

WickedLaharl said:
you're so very welcome!

that anyone can suggest that a player must do something wrong in order to become a target for griefing is mind boggling. :lol

just search youtube for an endless flood of vids created by assholes whose sole intent is to give randoms a hard time for the lulz

I didn't say there are no griefers in the game that just do it to be idiots, I meant that if you are constantly being killed on purpose by your own team in different games by different people you are probably doing something stupid.

Raiden

Banned
Well, like any popular online game, it has lots of shitty people online=

Try playing a normal Big Team Battle and try getting into a tank first, either they will plasma shot you so you cant move, or just shoot up your tank till it starts flaming. Or they just stand on your tank in front of your cannon waiting for you to betray them.

Raiden said:
Well, like any popular online game, it has lots of shitty people online=

Try playing a normal Big Team Battle and try getting into a tank first, either they will plasma shot you so you cant move, or just shoot up your tank till it starts flaming. Or they just stand on your tank in front of your cannon waiting for you to betray them.

yup. the simple act of grabbing a highly sought after vehicle gets you such responses.

Ramirez said:
Since when did Gears of War get that feature? I'm almost positive bots replaced quit players in Gears 2, and I don't recall join in progress from the first either, but it's been a while.

It doesn't even work in CoD, IMO. No one likes to join a game mid progress and already be losing by a ton. CoD rewards players individually a lot better than any other MP game, so that is the only reason it works at all if you ask me.

It's not going to be added, but to not even be able to recognize why it's a terrible system is pretty baffling. The only reason people quit is because they're either outmatched or losing, I don't think I'm alone in saying I would not want my time wasted even more by joining a game where my team was already down 20.

You still don't get it. I wasn't advocating a SINGLE feature. I was (past tense because now I honestly don't care as I think HaloGaf doesn't either) saying that we could examine what does and what doesn't work. Multiplayer features and Join in progress are not mutually exclusive. Your response here is very similar to earlier and how you assumed I meant Cod when I clearly wrote games (plural) and didn't even mention CoD in that post. I'm sure games have more than ONE feature to reduce the probability of quitting. You seem to assume that J.I.P is the only feature that could be examined from other games. Your problem seems to be assuming what you think I mean rather than reading what I wrote and responding based upon what you see on the page.

But because I'm an idiot (no sarcasm) I will address what you said about Gears. Gears has always had Join in progress and its still there in 1. Only in the recent patches to Gears 2 has that been removed and bots replacing quitters.

KevinRo

Falt said:
What changes did they make?

They have the sniper at the back boardwalk instead of at the top of the lift. There is also a jetpack beneath it so you can use it to claw snipe. This keeps alot of the action on the back boardwalk and makes it hard for people to control top snipe unless they move the sniper up there.

Dax01 said:

Someone needs to make a variant where the upper hallway is filled with mancannons so it just pushes you to the other side. Something like this:

15rod5i.png

The mancannons would continue down the halls and spit you out at either end- at the top of the ramp or at the needler jump, respectively. You could still have the hallway for map movement purposes, but it's no longer a focal point of the map. You could still camp at either end, but you are a lot more exposed doing so if someone tries to flank you and thus camping is easier to break.

Kujo

Wait, is there no way to get a Skullamanjaro in BTB? Captured 10 but didn't get anything, I feel jipped.

Also I played 2 hours of Rumble Pit, not once did Juggernaut come up, not even for the chance to vote for it. I want to play some Juggernaut dammit.

Thagomizer said:
Someone needs to make a variant where the upper hallway is filled with mancannons so it just pushes you to the other side. Something like this:
I was thinking there should be a way to open up the sniper balcony to have a huge ramp go from the sniper perch to where the rockets are (like if the big steps leading up to snipe from rockets didn't stop and you could directly walk/hop up there).

chess

electricpirate said:
I love the satellite dish gates, I'm going to have to remember that trick.

Thanks, I actually thought of the idea doing a concept 2 weeks before launch using Google Skectchup. It was my first attempted at using SketchUP!

5120613311_c0eb577b62.jpg

GhaleonEB

chess said:
Thanks, I actually thought of the idea doing a concept 2 weeks before launch using Google Skectchup. It was my first attempted at using SketchUP!

5120613311_c0eb577b62.jpg
Hmm, I'm going to have to give that a shot tonight. I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the center of my map and that would help a lot.

Kapura

Banned
TBH i prefer to work out designs in Forge than in Sketchup. It's very hard to get a sense of scale when you design outside of forge. I've found myself designing maps and then importing them into forge and discovering that it's far too open or claustrophobic than I had originally thought it would be. Plus it's way easier to assess sight lines in game than in an external design document. My last medium-small map Ephialtes was about half designed on paper, but i had to include additional geometry on the bit I had designed because there were stupid-silly sight lines going through the bases.

MrBig

Kapura said:
TBH i prefer to work out designs in Forge than in Sketchup. It's very hard to get a sense of scale when you design outside of forge. I've found myself designing maps and then importing them into forge and discovering that it's far too open or claustrophobic than I had originally thought it would be. Plus it's way easier to assess sight lines in game than in an external design document. My last medium-small map Ephialtes was about half designed on paper, but i had to include additional geometry on the bit I had designed because there were stupid-silly sight lines going through the bases.
Yep, I get a general idea, maybe a flow sketch, and then use 4x4 tall blocks to block it out.

RRGGHH why is it that every single time I hijack a Wraith in firefight rockets/snipes, one of my teammates will shoot me till it explodes? What the fuck

Self Induced said:
RRGGHH why is it that every single time I hijack a Wraith in firefight rockets/snipes, one of my teammates will shoot me till it explodes? What the fuck
I get idiots shooting me because I grabbed the sniper rifle, annoying shits they are, it's not like anyone was around when I grabbed it, they just want it.

I was playing a hemmoridge BTB match earlier and some guy kept tagging me with a melee to drop my shields, so I just said fuck it, shot all 8 rounds into the ground and then dropped it for another weapon, lol.

Hugbot

Self Induced said:
Wait, disabling FF means you can still blow up friends' vehicles? That sucks.

Domino Theory said:
I've said this a few times before (both here and on HBO) and I get the same responses: "No way, man, that'll just make everyone careless with grenades, create excessive nade spamming and no attention to detail when it comes to power weapons such as spamming rockets."

As if that doesn't happen already WITH friendly fire on? :lol

Seriously, people spam grenades without a single thought every game. I don't see any serious reprecussions for ridding of friendly fire, certainly nothing that matches the positives of ending the grief.

To KevinRo and Cuevas: You guys are either going in with teams or are far luckier than I. Randoms love to kill you if you grab the sniper or they'll ping you with bullets in hopes that an enemy will kill you and they can pick the rifle up. It's disgusting. I've had people start taking down everyone's shields the second the match starts, I've had people get bored during a match and start attacking teammates, I've had teammates get frustrated when they can't kill anything so they turn on the rest of us. It's not every match but it's sure as hell often enough to warrant the removal of friendly fire. If it were just me I'd attribute it to bad luck but I've seen many others with the same complaints online and not just at GAF.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Diablohead said:
I get idiots shooting me because I grabbed the sniper rifle, annoying shits they are, it's not like anyone was around when I grabbed it, they just want it.

I was playing a hemmoridge BTB match earlier and some guy kept tagging me with a melee to drop my shields, so I just said fuck it, shot all 8 rounds into the ground and then dropped it for another weapon, lol.

:lol I will do that next time too. Great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom