• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zeouterlimits said:
Gah. Dropped twice from Reach in the middle of games tonight.
Just suddenly ends, telling me I won the game (and counted for the challenge). Still signed perfectly into Xbox Live.

*sigh*
It's as if urk rests his hands on your shoulder after the 1 kill you would get and he would smile and say,

"That'll do pig. That'll do".

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
That's what I'm saying. I feel like everything here is being blown out of proportion because this stuff hardly ever happens to me when I play.
Team 2 rises above the lowly scum of Halo!

Falt

Domino Theory said:
Sorry. :(

I'll stop.

Woah, no. I'm cranky and completely burnt out on solo multi-team. I apologise if that came across harsh. Plus you got about 40 minutes of comedic antics left, better get cracking.

chapel said:
Though it shouldn't be as elastic that it is. Too many times do I get in a game and dong on people hard, but then 5+ games later I am being donged on. I know that sometimes it is inevitable to have players way lower or way higher than your skill, but in Reach it seems to happen a lot more than it ever did in previous halo games.
Well, there's a few problems here, the main one being player population. The game only has a limited number of players to match at a given time. In a small playlist like Team Objective, the number of people who are actively matchmaking (i.e. not in a game) is pretty tiny (in the hundreds or even tens), and at a certain point the game has to give up and throw you into whatever suitable game it can find rather than waiting half an hour to find the seven other players who are closest to your level (and even then may not be that close). In a world where every playlist had one million people in it at all times, TrueSkill would work better. As it is, sometimes you are going to dong, sometimes you are going to get donged on. And 'deranking' is pretty pointless precisely because of the increased elasticity. Sure, you get the fun of donging for a few games (after putting in the work of deranking), but you can't fool the system for long, and soon enough you will be the one getting the dong once more. Removing the numbers in fact makes this behaviour less likely because players can't actually see it at work (i.e. can't see a number ticking down). You can't ever stop people trying to do it, but it really should be less of a problem in Reach.

Truth be told, Halo 3 wasn't doing any better a job of matching people (in fact, it was probably doing worse), but I guess the gimping of TrueSkill meant you don't get quite the same violent swings as you do in Reach. Personally, I kinda wish Reach did have some 'social' playlists where TrueSkill didn't apply (or barely applied)... but I tend to feel that way just after I've been getting beat up on for a string of games. I don't like getting beat up on. Nobody does. And trite as it sounds, that is a giant and pretty much unsolvable problem for game designers.

chapel said:
The reason I think a percentage would work is because it really isn't a negative thing (well unless you aren't in the top 90% of people). When you tell someone you are in the top 80%, you know you are better than at least 20% of the population. The real benefit comes when you are 50% or above, knowing that you are better than over half of the playerbase is a good feeling imo.
The distribution would probably not be that even, though. The vast majority of players would be vying around the 35-65% range, or even closer than that, and constantly complaining about minute back and forth adjustments, the lack of progression, etc. Everyone below that would feel massively inferior and quit for a game that doesn't tell them how bad they are, meaning the whole population then adjusts so more people get dumped out of the midrange. They then quit in turn, and so on, until only a handful of 'pros' are left and they are squabbling over the swings. It would be a disaster. About 10% of the population actually wants to know how well they are doing relative to everyone else (i.e. shunted into pretty static points on a curve), and they themselves are usually significantly above average, so for them it's a backslap (Gold/Onyx badge).

chapel said:
Oh and I know arena has all that baked in, but the problem is people don't want to play 3 games a day for 10 days in arena. Hardly anyone plays it anymore. It could be due to them fucking it up with only one map choice at any time, but it really doesn't feel as competitive as it should. The quitting is terrible, and that stems from their daily rating... that is what is ruining arena, oh that and armor lock.
I am surprised that it takes 10 days; 7 would be more reasonable, and you'd probably see a small boost in population if it was changed.

But the main problem with the Arena is exactly what I'm saying here: people do not really want to know how good they are. They want the game to tell them that they are good, and that they are improving (bars are being filled). They want it to reinforce all their existing beliefs about their skill level. And as soon as ~|*SnIpEmAsTeR92*|~ finds out he is, in fact, Bronze and not Onyx, and that despite hammering away at the Arena for weeks on end (working, meanwhile, with a whole load of weird ideas and assumptions about how the ratings and placements actually work, as 99% of the playerbase do), he cannot improve to Silver and stays Bronze, slamming his head against that wall, winning some, but losing just as many... he is going to say "this is bullshit" and quit.

Meanwhile, around the corner, Black Ops will be doling out free handjobs just for showing up.

I don't blame Bungie for their philosophy. I commend their philosophy, and I think the various player assessment mechanisms are good in principle, with a few niggles in practice, but I also suspect that for most people, finding out exactly how good (read: bad) they are is too much to handle.

Trasher

Falt said:
Woah, no. I'm cranky and completely burnt out on solo multi-team. I apologise if that came across harsh. Plus you got about 40 minutes of comedic antics left, better get cracking.
"MAKE ME LAUGH CLOWN" is what you should have said!

Does firing speed really matter with the DMR? I keep hearig about aiming 'cadence' and how you should slow down to use it optimally, but I thought this only applied to the Needle Rifle (to trigger a super-combine explosion)? If I time my shots, will the DMR do more damage?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Randoms are so fucking pathetic I swear. Pardon my language but I had to say it.

I decide to play alone for a change in Matchmaking knowing fully well what would happen but I wanted to play to get 5 lousy wins anyways, but my goodness, every match has a quitter/quitters, people standing still or people that are just too incompetent to finish off a guy right next to him with no shields, or go for the damn objective.

Why are people so stupid? I don't buy or play games where I have no clue about what to do in them, but that's all I've seen in the past few hours now from these people.

Merguson

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
Hey HaloGAF here is that Spirit Day slideshow that Sai was gonna make but I took over because he was busy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMX6aQzWNEw

A lot of the work was done by Sai organizing the pictures by name. I simply just put them into iMovie. Anyone who submitted more than 2 good pictures got at least 2 in the video.

Enjoy!

It's a nice video.. but I guess you guys missed my submission hah.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Does firing speed really matter with the DMR? I keep hearig about aiming 'cadence' and how you should slow down to use it optimally, but I thought this only applied to the Needle Rifle (to trigger a super-combine explosion)? If I time my shots, will the DMR do more damage?

It's accuracy. See how it blooms out? That's roughly the area your shots will hit in. When going for that precision headshot, make sure that circle is real fucking tiny, then DOME THE FUCKER.

electricpirate said:
It's accuracy. See how it blooms out? That's roughly the area your shots will hit in. When going for that precision headshot, make sure that circle is real fucking tiny, then DOME THE FUCKER.

Yeah but what about damage? For example, if every shot lands even from a fair distance, will it do as much damage as if i'd fired slower? Or is it just for my own accuracy benefit?

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Yeah but what about damage? For example, if every shot lands even from a fair distance, will it do as much damage as if i'd fired slower? Or is it just for my own accuracy benefit?

It only affects accuracy.

Skilotonn said:
Randoms are so fucking pathetic I swear. Pardon my language but I had to say it.

I decide to play alone for a change in Matchmaking knowing fully well what would happen but I wanted to play to get 5 lousy wins anyways, but my goodness, every match has a quitter/quitters, people standing still or people that are just too incompetent to finish off a guy right next to him with no shields, or go for the damn objective.

Why are people so stupid? I don't buy or play games where I have no clue about what to do in them, but that's all I've seen in the past few hours now from these people.

I share your frustration. The day I brought Reach home, my very first matchmaking game, I had one of my team mates shoot at me because he didn't like the map.

Yesterday, I was one kill away from a running riot in the wraith, when one of the douches on my team starts lobbing plasma grenades at me.

And, not since Halo 2, I had a twelve year old tea bag me and call me a ni**er and a f*g.

*sigh*

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Skilotonn said:

Venting here as well, FUCKING MORON ON MY FUCKING TEAM LEARN TO SHOT YOUR FUCKING WRAITH IN THE RIGHT FUCKING AREA, ITS NOT THAT HARD. ALSO SHITTY TEAMMATES THAT DON'T KNOW HOW TO AIM THE FUCKING SNIPER RIFLE, DON'T PICK IT UP IF YOU CAN'T USE IT, YOU'RE THE REASON I'M GETTING FUCKING SNIPED BY THEIR SNIPER, CAUSE YOU'RE SITTING ON YOUR ASS, TWIDDLING YOUR THUMBS LIKE A BITCH, NOT SHOOTING THEIR WRAITH'S LID SO PEOPLE COULD AT THE VERY LEAST SHOOT THE DAMN WRAITH DRIVERS HEAD IF YOU CANT HEADSHOT HIM.

So I'm sitting there under the small hole by the enemy Blue Teams side, Wraith shoots to try and get the people above me and the shot doesn't make it and instead lands right in the hole I'm hiding in. /AWESOMETALEBROSEPH

ksdlfsdfndslfknsdklnflkenlkf
Tashi0106 said:
That's what I'm saying. I feel like everything here is being blown out of proportion because this stuff hardly ever happens to me when I play.
I think the main issue is that if your one person going to into BTB by yourself your getting paired with a bunch of randoms who might as well be chickens with their heads cut off.

Take for example this game where one of my teammates went -12 with 22 deaths. http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=274052672&player=Xenolock

I pretty much always go positive in BTB, but it's really hard to carry chickens cause they run around pecking at the grass and shit.

UltimaPooh said:
Hey HaloGAF here is that Spirit Day slideshow that Sai was gonna make but I took over because he was busy:

A lot of the work was done by Sai organizing the pictures by name. I simply just put them into iMovie. Anyone who submitted more than 2 good pictures got at least 2 in the video.

Enjoy!

My name is spelled wrong. :lol :lol :lol

Missing a 0. Or an o, if you're going by my GAF name.

Ajemsuhgao
Ajemsuhga0

Ajemsuhgao said:
My name is spelled wrong. :lol :lol :lol

Missing a 0. Or an o, if you're going by my GAF name.

Ajemsuhgao
Ajemsuhga0

Yeah it was spelled that way in the file Sai-Kun compiled. Sorry.

Thanks for all the praise guys.

Why the heck is Halo the only game I lag in now when I play MP? seriously can't even play any game of Reach with a friend or something without lag. But when I play some other MP games or something, I'm fine. :/

CrazedArabMan said:
Why the heck is Halo the only game I lag in now when I play MP? seriously can't even play any game of Reach with a friend or something without lag. But when I play some other MP games or something, I'm fine. :/

I can't really answer your question directly, but yes, Halo does seem to do something differently online. It's the only game in my collection that doesn't work when I set all my 360 network settings to automatic (cannot retrieve info from server etc). I can get it to work by manually specifying IP addresses, but then my NAT type is closed. Seems fine and better than nothing, but annoying nonetheless.

Ajemsuhgao said:
I love getting betrayed because someone wants a Yoink! medal. :|

I call this a "Betroink". And I've been on both sides of it...well three sides if you count the guy getting assassinated. In my defense when you're playing team snipers and you see an enemy wildly gyrating a mile away you tend to shoot first. I'm still not used to the fact that there may be someone in mid-animation behind the victim.

Sai-kun

Banned
UltimaPooh said:

Enjoy!

I love you :D <3333 Thanks again, dude.

I'm really sorry I missed your pic, Merg :( :( :( please forgive me <3

Bregmann Roche said:
I call this a "Betroink". And I've been on both sides of it...well three sides if you count the guy getting assassinated. In my defense when you're playing team snipers and you see an enemy wildly gyrating a mile away you tend to shoot first. I'm still not used to the fact that there may be someone in mid-animation behind the victim.

I can understand that. But I was ~5 feet in front of my teammate. He just stood there, unloading with his DMR, and somehow COULDN'T kill the guy that I was assassinating. And we were playing SWAT. He missed, and got ME.

So what happens if you've been a LT Colonel Grade 3 long enough to be a commander and you check your rank offline? Does it unlock any of the armor? Can you purchase it and use it online?

cool_dude_2049 said:
So what happens if you've been a LT Colonel Grade 3 long enough to be a commander and you check your rank offline? Does it unlock any of the armor? Can you purchase it and use it online?

It unlocks the armor, for offline play. Once you go online I'm pretty sure it resets.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Why do people get so butthurt when they don't get the vehicle they want? I beat one guy to a Wraith so he stood on top in front of the cannon. Basically, if I fire then I betray him and possibly get booted. So the other Wraith comes and i just have to scramble around trying to get this dick off me so I can fight it, but he doesn't budge. Now not only does the wraith kill both of us, but also we are down a wraith and their perfect wraith is rampaging through our base getting at least 5 or 6 kills. Way to help the team. Grr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom