• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diablohead said:
I earned it legit just now in an invasion match, I love PP charge & melee + throw sticky, I did it like 5 times in a row :lol

Tilt is half ammo from weapon pickups.
Nope, Tilt is bullets don't affect shields or something along those lines, Famine is half ammo.

Victrix said:
How does it 'devalue' it? It affects you in no way whatsoever (except possibly to make your game more awesome if they take birthday party)

Unless you value your rank as a measure of epenis, which is a foolish thing to do anyway, given the history of Halo and MW boosters.
So because you say it has no value in gameplay it's cool to boost/farm credits?

Well if that's the case what is the point of the credits system, if it is so completely arbitrary and useless then why have it? Why not just give everyone 4,000,000 cR.

The credits system is a reward/play style system in which the better you do and the more games you play the more credits you get. It was exciting for me to play well and get credits. Now that you can go out and farm kills in SP what is the point? It takes me several days to earn the credits that someone can get in a couple hours doing the exploit in campaign.

McBradders said:
Wat? Firstly they nerfed the shit out of that so-called exploit, and their ranking is pretty badly designed. The hump to get to Captain is inexcusable. There is no logic behind it at all other than there being an achievement attached to it.

TL: DR - Ranking and CR have no value anyway, y'all just mad cuz you did it the old fashioned way.
No, I am just mad because in any other situation this would be viewed as pathetic and lame. I am honestly confused how GAF is condoning boosting/farming of credits. I know when the guy first posted about how to do the target designator glitch GAF went crazy and called him an idiot. Not to sure what has changed since then.

To sum it up it sucks that I will play the game it is meant to be played and earn the credits the way they were meant to be earned, and because of that I will likely always have a lower rank and it will take much longer for me to afford armor upgrades, etc.

Diablohead said:
Tilt is half ammo from weapon pickups. *edit* actually it might be enemies are immune to certain ammo, I don't remember.

Tilt is enemy shields deflect bullets.

Devin Olsen said:
No, I am just mad because in any other situation this would be viewed as pathetic and lame. I am honestly confused how GAF is condoning boosting/farming of credits. I know when the guy first posted about how to do the target designator glitch GAF went crazy and called him an idiot. Not to sure what has changed since then.

No, we called him an idiot because he used a controller mod to do it automatically without actually playing.

Shake Appeal said:
Multiplier could be tough. Have to visit BTB/Invasion for that, I think. Everything else is very doable.
Multiplier is going to be tough. I hardly get one double kill a game, even in BTB/Invasion, let alone 5.

*looks at tank*

Why hello there...

Devin Olsen said:

Well if that's the case what is the point of the credits system, if it is so completely arbitrary and useless then why have it? Why not just give everyone 4,000,000 cR.

The credits system is a reward/play style system in which the better you do and the more games you play the more credits you get. It was exciting for me to play well and get credits. Now that you can go out and farm kills in SP what is the point? It takes me several days to earn the credits that someone can get in a couple hours doing the exploit in campaign.

To sum it up it sucks that I will play the game it is meant to be played and earn the credits the way they were meant to be earned, and because of that I will likely always have a lower rank and it will take much longer for me to afford armor upgrades, etc.
I understand your vent on the matter and outside of the time I tried it out for some easy credits I do wish it was impossible to do, it's a shame it was oversighted in the development of Reach to allow something like this to happen but I don't know of any way to fix it, once you hit onyx for splash damage (happens rather quickly) the income drops a ton down to nearly nothing. At least no one can really boost like that to lt. commander or whatever that top rank is.

Might have been better for bungie to only reward credits for a completion of the act instead of pause & quit, or give no points for kills but a small sum at the end depending on the act, skulls used and total deaths, maybe.

Victrix

*beard*
Devin Olsen said:

Devin Olsen said:

You answered your own question. Because people want shiny upgrades, they will keep playing Reach. This is good for Bungie. Push shiny button, get food pellet!

As for your honorable code of videogame bushido, that's your own problem. Bungie already said they have no issue with people using methods that aren't actually cheating or hacking to acquire credits in whatever manner they see fit. Use it or don't, but don't bitch about other people doing it and then complaining that you are gaining your credits too slowly.

voltron

So do we have a concrete answer for PRECISELY what the Tilt skull does?

I always assumed that enemy damage is randomly more or less... like a grunt could take as much as an elite to kill and vice versa.

That right?

Edit, ok I googled it. Seems shields are just tougher to take down.

Shoogoo

Victrix said:
You answered your own question. Because people want shiny upgrades, they will keep playing Reach. This is good for Bungie. Push shiny button, get food pellet!

As for your honorable code of videogame bushido, that's your own problem. Bungie already said they have no issue with people using methods that aren't actually cheating or hacking to acquire credits in whatever manner they see fit. Use it or don't, but don't bitch about other people doing it and then complaining that you are gaining your credits too slowly.

What about assholes resetting challenges over and over again? Is that considered cheating?

Victrix

*beard*
Tilt makes shields nearly unaffected by bullets, and bodies nearly unaffected by plasma

Basically it forces you to whore the PP/DMR combo even more than you do on legendary :lol

Shoogoo said:
What about assholes resetting challenges over and over again? Is that considered cheating?

Yes, they already said they banned/reset credits on people doing actual exploits like that

They don't care about the stuff like the campaign cheese (there are some Bungie employee profiles with those medals maxed out)

Remember, commendation XP dries up, so abusing the checkpoint reload just maxes out those specific commendations and gets you some XP now that you'd get later anyway, assuming you continue to play the campaign.

If you want your shiny armor bits right nowwwwwwwww, keep an eye out for methods like that that let you maximize your rate of commendation completion, be it Gruntpocalypse farming or certain checkpoints in the campaign.

Sibylus

Banned
I repeatedly feasted upon a vulnerable enemy's back on Nightfall for the 50 kill challenge. Completed it in about 7 minutes (along with the 40-kills-of-any-sort one).

Oh well, I'm going to hell anyway.

Photolysis said:
Can you devalue something that has no value to start with?
On one hand, I agree with you. But on the other hand, I'm reminded of the blood, sweat, and tears shed to procure head coverings in the world's most famed hat simulator.

541px-ToweringSoldier.png

Devin Olsen said:

Then it's not a great design because the credits you earn are hardly improved at all by playing well, except for commendations which quickly become a drop in the ocean. And even then, half of them are for completely generic things anyway.

In multiplayer most of the credits you get are due to the length of the game. In campaign, most are due to kills. In some cases, style medals actually decrease the credits you get (kill a grunt in Firefight for 5 credits, or assassinate him for 2...?).

Why does it matter what anyone else does? It's their time, their XBL account, and their copy of the game.

It's a hook to try and keep certain parts of the player base for longer. Not a particularly great one, but one nevertheless.

The problem is that fundamentally, you earn credits too slow for simply playing "the way it is meant to be played" (which is actually almost impossible in half the playlists at the moment anyway). To actually gain the completely cosmetic changes is a bigger grind than you'll find in most MMOs, which will often give you cool, functional or fun items too.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man I had a great set of games playing public last night. I decided to actively try and shoot slower with the DMR and wait for the bloom. Ended up going +9 in my best game, I was a massive pussy as well, actively using sprint to just take off if I caught a bullet in the back, run away, shields recharge, go back.

Then we got snipers GRRRRR went -3 or so immediately, then sorted my shit out and clawed back for a k/d spread of 0 with 9 kills. Which was some pretty hot shit performance on snipers for me.

couple of games went 50/49 or 48 all in our favour. AAaahhh when it goes great, this game is the best. Still avoiding Rumble pit until it's no longer infection pit, but what a blast.

Some guy boosting to get credits affects no one else but themselves. I hardly see what the big deal is. If you like going about the credit system 'as intended', great. But who cares how someone else goes about it. That's the great thing about Halo's progression system is that it doesn't unbalance the fuck out of the game.

Gruntpocalypse gives so much cR because of headshots, a kill is worth a few minor credits but a headshot is +5, and we all know how easy it is to pop grunt heads.

Assassinations give you 7 cR in a real matchmaking versus game, not worth the effort but at the same time not enough to farm.

Earning bonus credit for commendation feels just as random as the slot machine after each match, it's not really an indication in how good you are it's more to do with hanging back for kills instead of capping that flag / unit, which gives you no cR for doing so.

It makes me think that bungie could have thought about cR rewards a little better, the winning team earns no bonus credit right now.. why?

Bit broad for you to label HaloGAF as a whole Devin.
I think it's stupid and cheapens the system, but getting angry about it? People will be people. I'm sure Luke & Bungie knew what kind of play this was going to promote when they came up with the system.

Chorazin

catfish said:
man I had a great set of games playing public last night. I decided to actively try and shoot slower with the DMR and wait for the bloom. Ended up going +9 in my best game, I was a massive pussy as well, actively using sprint to just take off if I caught a bullet in the back, run away, shields recharge, go back.

I was working on that last night as well, doing tons better now that I am finally paying attention to the bloom!

Willeth

Diablohead said:
It makes me think that bungie could have thought about cR rewards a little better, the winning team earns no bonus credit right now.. why?
I'm sure I've seen a bonus for winning. It's small, but it's there.

But yeah, bonuses for flag caps, steals, returns, bomb arming, etc, should exist. Hell, if there was a credit bonus applied to all medals (maybe there is?) that could work.

Victrix

*beard*
Chorazin said:
I was working on that last night as well, doing tons better now that I am finally paying attention to the bloom!

It's been brought up before, but at a distance, crouch. The accuracy increase for all weapons with bloom is insane, and because you stand up the instant you get hit, it's not much of a risk to use.

You can nearly spam the trigger on the DMR and stay laser accurate, can do exactly that with the NR, and the Magnum and AR become a lot more usable on targets at a distance (still need to burst fire the AR, but that's always true - it just recenters much, much faster)

edit: important, almost forgot - when scoping, the accuracy is basically increased by whatever the zoom multiplier is, so you're always more accurate while scoped

So crouched and scoped is your best bet for nailing long range kills.

Crouch: Retain more of your accuracy per shot, and recover lost accuracy more quickly, enabling faster firing.

Zoom: Shoot with more base accuracy, standing or crouching.

Trickster

Dax01 said:
I'm getting that tilt challenge on Nightfall on Heroic. Gah. Such a fun level.

It's amazing how differently people can feel about the different campaign levels. Personally I felt that Nightfall was the worst level by a huge margin :p

Willeth said:
I'm sure I've seen a bonus for winning. It's small, but it's there.

But yeah, bonuses for flag caps, steals, returns, bomb arming, etc, should exist. Hell, if there was a credit bonus applied to all medals (maybe there is?) that could work.
One problem that might arise is people betraying you for the flag, but with the current betrayal system that should not be a problem...i'd hope.

I don't think there is a medal for caps, i've not notice one for invasion core captures.

People wouldn't boost if everything was unlocked from the beginning. That's what I would prefer but I must say I'm pretty addicted to the system in Reach. Gotta get those ODST shoulder pads and that wrist tactical pad.

Diablohead said:
Earning bonus credit for commendation feels just as random as the slot machine after each match, it's not really an indication in how good you are it's more to do with hanging back for kills instead of capping that flag / unit, which gives you no cR for doing so.

It's not random, it's just the values are so tiny that they're meaningless. A good player might get something like 50 more credits than a bad player.

Firefight gives you so many points because you get a lot of kills in a short amount of time, but also rack up plenty of multi kills. The scaling from skillful play isn't fantastic, but it's much larger than multiplayer. And most of it isn't for style, but simply being able to kill more enemies in a smaller amount of time.

This doesn't translate well to multiplayer because the number of kills is fairly low. Also, killing a Grunt gives about the same as killing a human player. It goes back to my comment above with the challenges, the challenge/reward weighting for multiplayer just isn't there.

KaYotiX said:
Meh, people will boost and work the system in any game. Just more so nowdays with rankings and XP systems in place.

Agreed. And by letting people boost off of the campaign, Bungie wisely gave boosters an alternative outside of screwing up legitimate multiplayer games. I say good for them!

harrytang

Devin Olsen said:

I don't understand the flak you're receiving on this Devin. I totally agree with you. I feel the ranking system is cheapened and can no longer can be used as a measure of someones time and investment in halo reach. getting ~600 credits a game means some dude with the 200,000 credit piece of armor worked his ass off. i respect that kind of commitment. knowing that people are farming credits to get the top armors simply to be the first to get the armor is a little lame.

this matters to some people, and it doesnt to others. its not life breaking, but it would have been cool if the original ideals of credits could have survived the life of the game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Devin Olsen said:

It's only pathetic and lame if the system has any meaning whatsoever, which it doesn't. It skews too heavily toward some modes rather than others thusly punishing players who want to just play how they want to. Why should they be excluded from a reasonable path to getting the shiny trinket they want? And why is there a massive hump from Warrant Officer to Captain?

Ranks have no relation to skill, just what you can buy. So at the end of the day its an utterly meaningless system on the grand ladder of Halo heirarchy whereas the Arena is far better qualifier for player skill which, I assume, is more important overall to anyone serious about their Halol.

panda21

electricpirate said:
As your rate of fire increases, the accuracy of you weapon degrades, and that is communicated to you via the size of your cross hairs.

oh so thats what it means in the weapon info screen. i thought with the DMR they were talking about just in general, because it fires slower its more accurate than the AR or something.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Go outta town for a day or two and this thread is at 27 pages. Crazy how fast it moves. There is no way I am gonna read all that. Did I miss anything important?

Gruntpocalypse is almost too fun. I wish there were a variant with the sniper rifle and an unlimited clip. Also, unlimited firefight matchmaking would be amazing, hopefully that starts soon.

Loving firefight matchmaking, add me gt: mardini99, i'm on the east coast.

Calavera520 said:
Gruntpocalypse is almost too fun. I wish there were a variant with the sniper rifle and an unlimited clip. Also, unlimited firefight matchmaking would be amazing, hopefully that starts soon.

Personally I'm in love with Sniper Attack for solo matchmaking firefight, the only annoying round is the skirmishers but getting better at them (normally swap out a weapon for the nerfle against them). Most of the time as soon as possible I'll swap out my pistol for a Fuel Rod with unlimited ammo to have lots of fun :D

Edit: Anyone else leaving Reach on the main menu while doing other stuff just to hear Marty's magic playing in the background.

Quit my first game, because I was getting Arena raped on Asylum. Two of my teammates quit and the other team took this as their cue to climb on top of the bases with neverending snipes. Back down in Bronze.

Dax01 said:
Multiplier is going to be tough. I hardly get one double kill a game, even in BTB/Invasion, let alone 5.

*looks at tank*

Why hello there...

Good luck chasing down the tank with teammates pecking you with bullets in your back because they want it first.

I may try and party up to get the weekly challenge and the daily campaign challenge knocked out today. One of my major problems so far with Reach is my lack of time to play all aspects of the game. Forge sucks so much time from me it's ridiculous, and Score Attack is like a steady IV drip in my veins. I've barely touched multiplayer, and I just may end up waiting until the playlist update to even venture out.

.nimrod

so i'm about to finish my solo legendary run and i'm at the part where i have to
clear the landing zone for Keyes
, any tips for that section? Like what's the best spot to hang around during that fight?
I already know about that
hidden DMR rack that pops out when you melee the wall at the back of the upper building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom