• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltron

God fucking damn Im sick of infection/safe havens!!

Can someone please tell me why the FUUUUUCK everyone always wants to play it? Its so shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aesop

Chiming in on the credit farming.

I look at it like this:  Credits are a fun incentive to keep people playing the game.  They are not serious business.  If some jerkoff wants to spend 8 hours a day reloading checkpoints to max out his credit earning, then so be it.  That's his time he's wasting. I’d rather have him doing that than boosting in multiplayer.  Aside from some annoying armor effects, the upgrades have no real impact on the game.  If being a Lt. Colonel Grade 3 meant that all your loadouts consisted of unlimited AA energy and rocket launchers, then it would be a cause for concern.

You could sit there and say that Bungie overlooked the lengths that people would go to to unlock the upgrades.  You’d be wrong.  Obviously they didn’t anticipate every little exploit that people have come up with to maximize their earnings, but they had to know that folks would try to game the system.  Remember the number ranks in Halo 2 and 3?  There are checks and balances in place to limit exactly how many cR you can earn in one day and moderators to ban the exploiters (or reset their cR).  Just look at any game that offers rewards for gameplay and you’ll find a whole mess of people working to break it.

AnnHog

voltron said:

Can someone please tell me why the FUUUUUCK everyone always wants to play it? Its so shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya I am fucking sick of it as well. It really needs its own playlist.

aesop said:
Chiming in on the credit farming.

I look at it like this:  Credits are a fun incentive to keep people playing the game.  They are not serious business.  If some jerkoff wants to spend 8 hours a day reloading checkpoints to max out his credit earning, then so be it.  That's his time he's wasting. I’d rather have him doing that than boosting in multiplayer.

Aesop speaks truths.

GhaleonEB

Two quick overview shots of Crossroads, the map I've been working on, as of last night. I've since added a few major parts this morning. It's probably about 85% complete in terms of geometry.

reach_3880006_Full.jpg

reach_3879993_Full.jpg

The main challenge right now is blocking off enough of the edges that no one falls off on vehicles by accident. Which is tricky, since there isn't enough budget to block everything - but I think there's ample left (about a grand and ~50 pieces) to block all the critical areas remaining.

Wow, you've used almost all the budget? Fingers crossed that there aren't any framerate issues. Looks like you've got so many objects spread out that it may not be a problem, though. I'll happily be a tester for it!

GhaleonEB said:
Two quick overview shots of Crossroads, the map I've been working on, as of last night. I've since added a few major parts this morning. It's probably about 85% complete in terms of geometry.

I'm really surprised just how much playable space you can have for floating maps, if you use the right pieces. I set my Warlock remake by the waterfall (better lighting and views over the top of the map), and I couldn't place any more walls or blocks by the end.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Wow, you've used almost all the budget? Fingers crossed that there aren't any framerate issues. Looks like you've got so many objects spread out that it may not be a problem, though. I'll happily be a tester for it!
No frame rate issues in Forge, but I haven't done a MP test yet. When I zoom way up for the overview shots the impostor system fires up when the full map is in view, but there's a lot of breaks in the line of sight from a ground floor perspective due to all the changes in elevation and cover elements. I'm down to about $1000 in budget, but I've already placed all the vehicles and about 2/3 of the weapons to make sure I don't run out.

Right now I've been trying to find ways to add edging, each if which has to serve triple duty: 1) prevent vehicles from falling off, 2) aid in covering infantry since it's a large, fairly open map and 3) does not look like ass. That last one is the hardest: my first pass at covering the edges looked like a junkyard, with sideways bridges and triangles all over the place. Making it look interesting rather than slapped together is way more time consuming than I thought it would be. :lol

chess

GhaleonEB said:
The main challenge right now is blocking off enough of the edges that no one falls off on vehicles by accident. Which is tricky, since there isn't enough budget to block everything - but I think there's ample left (about a grand and ~50 pieces) to block all the critical areas remaining.

Might want to break up some of those long and open sight lines but then again it appears to be a huge BTB map and already broken up more than say Hemmorage. :lol No tanks!

KJTB

As for farming Cr, if people really want to waste their time farming something that doesn't effect gameplay at all then let them I guess. I don't really understand WHY you'd want to farm Cr though... So after all those hours shooting grunts in the head over and over again you get a cool little symbol next to your name and an aesthetically pleasing piece of armor that everyone else will have in a couple of weeks anyway? Congrats!

I've played a few games of score attack/gruntocolypse just to see what it was like and I couldn't play more than 3 games in a row without being bored out of my mind :lol. Why can't people just enjoy the game? They'll get their cool little armor ability or whatever eventually.

I think I might start saving up for the hearts armor effect. I've seen a lot of grunt party ones lately and I'm pimpin out my spartan in all pink (lol, it's funny seeing an all pink spartan running around killing people who are suited up all seriously) so the hearts would compliment this nicely. Anyone have the hearts yet?

Raide

Unicorn said:
How do I get into GAF halo customs? I wanna play some forge maps and connect with my GAF brethren.

If you want to make maps, drop by the ForgeGAF thread, we tend to try and meet up and test maps and give some feedback to the Forgers.

Or just wait till Saturday, since HaloGAF does their customs then and we tend to combine some custom maps and the pre-built ones.

.nimrod

.nimrod said:
so i'm about to finish my solo legendary run and i'm at the part where i have to
clear the landing zone for Keyes
, any tips for that section? Like what's the best spot to hang around during that fight?
I already know about that
hidden DMR rack that pops out when you melee the wall at the back of the upper building

Ah well, already made it through. It was way easier than i thought it would be, but i might've just been lucky. Only died 20 times during the whole mission.
Now i just need to rank up to Lt. Colonel and Reach will be the first game i ever got 1000/1000 GS in :D

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

reach_3880006_Full.jpg

reach_3879993_Full.jpg

You know not targeting you but your pictures bring to light a problem I have with the map makers out there. Can we please use the actual land in the map for some maps please? It so sad to see map after map floating in the air while the nice scenery they made goes unused.

Couldn't some of these maps actuallly be set on the land for example. Even if you have the metal walls all around it would be nice to see some green or water under your feet sometime.

Chorazin

voltron said:
Finally got that Elite assassination achievement:D

Oh sweet victory.

:(

I will never, ever get that one. I've spent between 6 and 7 hours trying this. Next time I try I'm going to upload the replay and maybe someone can tell me what the fuck I'm doing wrong.

Unicorn

Raide said:
If you want to make maps, drop by the ForgeGAF thread, we tend to try and meet up and test maps and give some feedback to the Forgers.

Or just wait till Saturday, since HaloGAF does their customs then and we tend to combine some custom maps and the pre-built ones.
I'm too intimidated to attempt forge, but wanna try new maps and remastered. I work weekend nights :C
Added my GT to the online meetup thread though..

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
You know not targeting you but your pictures bring to light a problem I have with the map makers out there. Can we please use the actual land in the map for some maps please? It so sad to see map after map floating in the air while the nice scenery they made goes unused.

Couldn't some of these maps actuallly be set on the land for example. Even if you have the metal walls all around it would be nice to see some green or water under your feet sometime.
I had a specific design in mind that couldn't be accommodated on the ground, and more importantly, I wanted to use my first map to test the limits of how much space can be carved out using purely the Forge objects. I did take care to position it so each side has a pretty view of the surrounding landscape at all times so it's not a metal dungeon.

That said, I don't plan another map of this ilk any time soon: terra firma for the next one at the least.

Hugbot

Dipindots said:
As for farming Cr, if people really want to waste their time farming something that doesn't effect gameplay at all then let them I guess. I don't really understand WHY you'd want to farm Cr though... So after all those hours shooting grunts in the head over and over again you get a cool little symbol next to your name and an aesthetically pleasing piece of armor that everyone else will have in a couple of weeks anyway? Congrats!

I've played a few games of score attack/gruntocolypse just to see what it was like and I couldn't play more than 3 games in a row without being bored out of my mind :lol. Why can't people just enjoy the game? They'll get their cool little armor ability or whatever eventually.

I think I might start saving up for the hearts armor effect. I've seen a lot of grunt party ones lately and I'm pimpin out my spartan in all pink (lol, it's funny seeing an all pink spartan running around killing people who are suited up all seriously) so the hearts would compliment this nicely. Anyone have the hearts yet?
I enjoy Gruntpocalypse, it's a real fast way to blow off some steam before/after matchmaking and the cR bonus is just gravy. I don't see much point in farming campaign but don't really hold it against anyone. I'd rather actually play the game, but I have a friend who tried it out and got lucky in that the checkpoint happened as the orbital strike was about to hit, so he did it for half an hour while he ate dinner. Things like that I can see, but actively farming that checkpoint instead of playing seems really boring to me.

Raide

PsychoRaven said:

The main problem is that all of the terrain is un-even, which makes trying to perfectly link objects together, a total headache. Ok if you just have objects dotted around the map but if you want to have some more complex bridges and pathways, it can get annoying.:lol

The other issue is that if you build a map on the ground, you have to add kill zones all around to stop people wandering out of bounds. If you build in the sky, people know how far they can go.

voltron said:

Because zombies are awesome?

Unicorn said:
How do I get into GAF halo customs? I wanna play some forge maps and connect with my GAF brethren.
Add one of the reachGAF tags and then on customs night people will invite friends from those lists (using Friends of Friends) (I worded that poorly)

The only Reach Tag that isn't full right now is the newest one, the GT and the Code is in my profile. Add the GT and then send a message afterwards with the code, and then I will accept it.

Raide

Neuromancer said:

Shame you cannot combine Invasion and Infection. Humans have objectives to complete and survive, Zombies just eat brains and stop the humans. The more people die, the harder it gets to complete objectives and ultimately escape.

Hugbot

Neuromancer said:
The Halloween hoppers in Halo 3 were always awesome, but they had themed forge maps with the visual effects and never really wore out their welcome. Hopefully we get a weekly hopper that infection shows up in every now and again, and the odds of it showing up in Rumble Pit is lowered by a lot. Infection as a rule is pretty ok it just needs to not be on the default maps and get a little bit of forge love.

Dipindots said:

yGWi7.gif
Yeah bro why does anyone ever do anything in this world. It's just a waste of time. In fact, I'm going to go blow my brains out right now. hoho life, you pointless piece of shit!

Trickster

Hypertrooper said:
A friend told me that he could only earn 97000Cr on a day.

Only? :lol

I doubt it would even be possible to meet that cap by playing the game normally (ie. No fancy Cr farming strats) for 24 hours straight.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
I had a specific design in mind that couldn't be accommodated on the ground, and more importantly, I wanted to use my first map to test the limits of how much space can be carved out using purely the Forge objects. I did take care to position it so each side has a pretty view of the surrounding landscape at all times so it's not a metal dungeon.

That said, I don't plan another map of this ilk any time soon: terra firma for the next one at the least.

Like I said I'm not hating on you or your map. I'm mainly talking about the remake after remake which are the metal dungeons you mentioned.

Raide said:
The main problem is that all of the terrain is un-even, which makes trying to perfectly link objects together, a total headache. Ok if you just have objects dotted around the map but if you want to have some more complex bridges and pathways, it can get annoying.:lol

The other issue is that if you build a map on the ground, you have to add kill zones all around to stop people wandering out of bounds. If you build in the sky, people know how far they can go.

So I think it's worth it to add some color to your map. And I'm sure the kill zones will teach people pretty quick where they can and can't go. lol

TommyT

Chorazin said:

I will never, ever get that one. I've spent between 6 and 7 hours trying this. Next time I try I'm going to upload the replay and maybe someone can tell me what the fuck I'm doing wrong.

I said the same thing and gave up after about 1.5 hours of doing what seemed like perfect assassinations. I gave it another go yesterday and did it on my 10th try of...

doing it the same way I was doing it before... I guess whatever the subtle trick is I'm missing it and just got lucky finally >.>

KJTB

spermatic cord said:
yGWi7.gif
Yeah bro why does anyone ever do anything in this world. It's just a waste of time. In fact, I'm going to go blow my brains out right now. hoho life, you pointless piece of shit!

Missing the point.

Is playing the game for fun a waste of time? I guess you can argue that playing hours and hours of gruntocolypse a day is fun but I guess I just don't get the appeal then.

After spending my last 10 hours of Reach time in forge and in map testing, my matchmaking skills have basically gone to shit.

Ghal, post your map over in the forge thread! looks really cool though, kind of reminds me of Rat Race with that long path around the outside. What vehicles are you targeting?

Scarecrow

I thought they fixed Gruntpocalypse. I used to be able to get 1500-2000 from them, but now can only get around 1k. I find it hilarious that Bungie's priority was fixing the cr farming, but matchmaking problems need to wait for monthly updates. :lol

I'm sure I'm the hundredth person to post this but the (purely perceived?) difference for me was holding down the sprint button.

1) Move forward
2) Hold sprint
3) Jump
4) Release the stick and look down
5) Release the sprint button RIGHT before you get to the Elite
6) Assassinate

I tried for an hour, went away and read the fifth step somewhere. Came back and got it on my first try.

Raide

electricpirate said:
After spending my last 10 hours of Reach time in forge and in map testing, my matchmaking skills have basically gone to shit.

I know exactly what you mean. :lol :lol

Feorax

I will say in relation to the credits, that the challenges seem way WAY too low in terms of their reward. Why would anybody bother doing a challenge under 1000cr, when 2 quick games in rumble pit and teams will give you the same?

Why not have the daily challenges between 1000 and 3000, and then have a decent weekly one at a 5 figure sum?

As it stands, there's no point trying to deliberately go for the challenges, it's just not worth the effort.

Raide

Feorax said:
I will say in relation to the credits, that the challenges seem way WAY too low in terms of their reward. Why would anybody bother doing a challenge under 1000cr, when 2 quick games in rumble pit and teams will give you the same?

Why not have the daily challenges between 1000 and 3000, and then have a decent weekly one at a 5 figure sum?

As it stands, there's no point trying to deliberately go for the challenges, it's just not worth the effort.

Agreed but people with Challenge OCD will just do them, no matter what the reward. :lol

KJTB

Feorax said:

I agree to a point that some of the rewarded cR is a little too low but it seems that the majority of the daily challenges (and sometimes the weekly challenges...) you can get just by simply playing the game without really thinking about what you need to do for that specific challenge. The firefight ones are a pretty good exception though if you don't like playing firefight much

GhaleonEB said:
No frame rate issues in Forge, but I haven't done a MP test yet. When I zoom way up for the overview shots the impostor system fires up when the full map is in view, but there's a lot of breaks in the line of sight from a ground floor perspective due to all the changes in elevation and cover elements. I'm down to about $1000 in budget, but I've already placed all the vehicles and about 2/3 of the weapons to make sure I don't run out.

Right now I've been trying to find ways to add edging, each if which has to serve triple duty: 1) prevent vehicles from falling off, 2) aid in covering infantry since it's a large, fairly open map and 3) does not look like ass. That last one is the hardest: my first pass at covering the edges looked like a junkyard, with sideways bridges and triangles all over the place. Making it look interesting rather than slapped together is way more time consuming than I thought it would be. :lol
If nothing else presents itself, one option might be to place a safe boundary just inside the edges of the map, so at least players will get a visual queue that they're about to fall off.

Raiden

Banned
Why are some many people complaining about lack of credits is beyond me, dont you realise that some people will be playing Reach for years?

And some of you are wanking you cant unlock every fucking item within the week.

Eventually the complaints that they cant buy anymore shit with their credits will come too...

Orodreth

voltron said:
Seriously. It can go suck a fucking dick. Im over it.

And why does everyone always vote for it?

same here, i don´t like it and people always vote like crazy every time it shows up.

It should really have its own list, apart from slayer/classic deathmatch.

voltron

Chorazin said:

Ill upload my clip tomorrow. Let you know when its done. (although Im sure youve already seen a tonne. 1 more couldnt hurt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom