• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
I don't know if this is known (probably discovered hundreds of times already, but whateva), but I stumbled across a simple and effective way to steal a Wraith without dealing too much damage to it.

1. Kill gunner
2. Hop on top of the Wraith
3. Move around until you get the turret prompt, jump into the seat
4. Waste driver as he hops out of the driver's seat

This seems to work damn near anywhere, and can be especially useful on higher difficulties. I've used it successfully on Sword Base and Exodus so far.

Raide

Botolf said:
I don't know if this is known (probably discovered hundreds of times already, but whateva), but I stumbled across a simple and effective way to steal a Wraith without dealing too much damage to it.

1. Kill gunner
2. Hop on top of the Wraith
3. Move around until you get the turret prompt, jump into the seat
4. Waste driver as he hops out of the driver's seat

This seems to work damn near anywhere, and can be especially useful on higher difficulties. I've used it successfully on Sword Base and Exodus so far.

Good luck getting within 2 miles of the thing in FireFight or Legendary SP. :lol Pretty much every time I try to sneak up on one, it always sees me first and starts raining down spicy death. :lol

Guys, the Achievements really aren't all that bad. A double kill with the shotgun is nothing. A long-range DMR kill should not be taxing. Blowing up the research facility is nothing. Even earning a kill in Rocket Race isn't difficult given the new Rocket Race rules, and the likelihood they'll make it readily available in Multiteam for a while. A single round of Invasion Slayer will likely net you the Armor Lock one.

A double kill from the grave and the Stockpile achievement are the only potentially tricky ones. And I highly doubt the criterion for the latter is having to grab ten flags yourself. It'll either be all four flags in a given round, or have your team grab all ten.

None of them are map specific. Most are easily attainable. Some of them downright reward regular play (win an Invasion game, trounce the other team at Stockpile). None of them are comparable to getting a shotgun spree on Citadel, for instance.

Sibylus

Banned
Raide said:
Good luck getting within 2 miles of the thing in FireFight or Legendary SP. :lol Pretty much every time I try to sneak up on one, it always sees me first and starts raining down spicy death. :lol
Pssh, who sneaks? Sprint or use a vehicle to close the gap before it fires its mortar again. If none of those are available, most levels have ample cover to allow you to get within pouncing distance.

JMizzlin

I just realised how fucking over Reach I am. I don't mean to troll. It was incredible for the first month, but damn. I got so sick of tonight's first BTB game that I just turned it off halfway through.

Fuck Hemorrhage.

Raide

Eye Drop said:
I just realised how fucking over Reach I am. I don't mean to troll. It was incredible for the first month, but damn. I got so sick of tonight's first BTB game that I just turned it off halfway through.

Fuck Hemorrhage.

I have a Love/Hate thing going on for that map. Sometimes I really enjoy the vehicle action, other times it turns in to a terribly one-sided map, where you get shot as you spawn over and over.

I am so glad more BTB maps are coming. :D

Speaking of BTB maps! As was requested (by Dani I think?), I've made a BTB map for HaloGAF customs!

You can download it here: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=8234825&player=BEARCANO

And a couple shots:
reach_8234762_Full.jpg

reach_8234798_Full.jpg

Or you can read more about it in the ForgeGAF thread (link to post): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24119655&postcount=1293

Quick question:

Why do you guys believe that not going on Live will show you your 'real' rank? It was explained before that you will progress a lot faster in offline play then you ever will online. The cap is going to lift and ye guys are just gonna get disappointed. The cR requirements for every promotion are a fraction of those needed when playing online.

I think I will try my hand at the Guilt O Lantern competition. I can only win 3rd place but ah sure, it could be funny :p

Hydranockz said:
Quick question:

Why do you guys believe that not going on Live will show you your 'real' rank? It was explained before that you will progress a lot faster in offline play then you ever will online. The cap is going to lift and ye guys are just gonna get disappointed. The cR requirements for every promotion are a fraction of those needed when playing online.

Because my offline rank tells me that I'm a colonel G3 and I've earned around 1.2mil cR . I'm pretty sure that it's the rank I will be when the cap is lifted. IIRC offline progression requires the same amount of cR to rank up, you just earn cR faster. But those cR disappear when you play online for the first time I think.

Hydranockz said:
Quick question:

Why do you guys believe that not going on Live will show you your 'real' rank? It was explained before that you will progress a lot faster in offline play then you ever will online.

Because once you've been online, that's it, you don't earn anything offline. Your rank is also based on the total amount of credits earned, all of which are online.

The offline thing was that you only earn credits faster offline if you never go online in the first place, none of which applies here.

If I earn a million Cr online, you can't then say "hey that's not your real rank offline, you've been earning credits way faster", because, well, you don't. Period.

The cR requirements for every promotion are a fraction of those needed when playing online.

They're not, they're completely identical, as evidenced by the fact if you try this trick prior to Lt Colonel G3 your rank will remain the same.

It's the rate at which credits are earned for offline players that's higher, not the credits for each rank.

Hydranockz said:
Quick question:

I think I will try my hand at the Guilt O Lantern competition. I can only win 3rd place but ah sure, it could be funny :p

Thats what I thought, but apparently once youve been on live your offline Cr earning drops to online levels. Im pretty sure the offline rank is accurate for me simply because I kept track of how much Cr I needed between Lt Colenal and Commander, offline this reflected properly.

I feel SO sorry for those who ever use a 48 hour trial without planning on ever buying live. It probably wont mean much to them, but ranking up will be impossible.

On another note im actually pretty impressed that non of the achievments shown seem to require the map pack. Im planning on getting it anyway, but for those that werent it at least provides a reason to put in that Reach disk. For sure it will drag a few achievment hunters back into the game.

Bravo Bungie.

Eye Drop said:

this is how i often feel about reach. i love the gameplay but the somewhat crappy playlist management, griefiers, betrayal system, and quitters are really dampening my enjoyment :(

please, bungie, turn FF off and allow join in progress!

WickedLaharl said:
this is how i often feel about reach. i love the gameplay but the somewhat crappy playlist management, griefiers, betrayal system, and quitters are really dampening my enjoyment :(

please, bungie, turn FF off and allow join in progress!
These things are never going to happen. For the former: Bungie has never, EVER turned friendly fire off for regular games. For the latter: that wouldn't work in Halo.

jizzlobber said:
i'd hate for FF to be turned off, as it is you gotta be careful, I like that

they can save that shit for arena. as it stands right now too many douchebags spend a game taking their team-mates shields down.

maybe if they had set to where if a TM did X amount of damage to you before you get killed by the other team then it would still count as a betrayal.

Raide said:

I dropped both Wraiths at the end of Exodus on Legendary within the span of about 1 minute, armed with a PP and a DMR. Headpop the grunt in the gunner seat, stun the wraith with an overcharge, drop a 'nade in the driver's seat, laugh maniacally.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dax01 said:
These things are never going to happen. For the latter: that wouldn't work in Halo.

Yes it would, it just isn't possible in the game the way it's designed now.

They really should have designed the game for drop in drop out competitive play, except for the ranked (arena) play list.

Such a dumb move imo.

WickedLaharl said:
FF isn't essential but you can go ahead and keep believing that :lol

Well of course I'm referring to my own and personal enjoyment of the game.

Friendly fire pushes the players to be more careful, to watch for shooting lines, etc.

If you prefer a random clusterfuck, no one is going to convince you otherwise.

feel

Disappointing DLC achievements. :(

Some are too easy, and the rest will force me to play stuff I hate to play.

bobs99 ... said:
Do the right thing Bungie, remove armour lock.
And Sprint, and Camo, and Jetpack. They all annoy me to no end when used effectively against me.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
I'm just buying stuff sequentially. Whenever I rank up, I go through each category and buy what I can afford in order. Whatever I'm wearing at any given time is what I got on my last shopping spree.
Heh - I'm still rockin' the default armor. Hit Lt. Colonel finally last night, so I've got 450k in the bank. (Spent 250 cR on an Oonsk shoulder I don't wear, for the Make It Drizzle achievement, and 8k on the Breacher Collar, for the Make it Rain achievement... but the rest is all waiting for... I dunno, SOMETHING. I haven't decided if I'm making a statement, or if I just don't give a damn about the whole armory concept.)

GhaleonEB said:
It took a while, but I took care of that little problem just now. Now I gotta go ice a hand cramp...:lol
Why, you little...

:lol :lol

Ferny

Im so glad that these DLC achievements are not as hard as Halo 3's were because some of those were just too dang hard.

Im liking the new maps though and can't wait to get them into matchmaking.

I was going to enter that Guilt O Lantern contest until I saw this:
remember_reach_by_faerlyte-d31ng4jL.jpg

I feel crushed. Looks like it will have to be Mister Chief, Oonsk, or a flight elite for EazyB :p I have never carved a pumpkin before but it could be epic :p Anyone have any pics of the listed characters I could use as references? If I get it done on time I will submit it but it is mostly for fun now...

mostly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
jizzlobber said:
if that happens just leave yourself, end it.

i'm playing multi team these days, not many quitters and it doesn't kill the game anyway

That's the problem, you should have to be quitting games to have fun or to experience a balanced game.

"Just quit," isn't a solution, it's an excuse to justify a broken game experience.

Ramirez said:
Are you guys mad because the achievements are going to make people play in a different manner, or because you might not get them for your gamerscore e-peen?

I don't like them because they seem infuriating. Double kill from the grave? I like achievements that are fun to get. Dying on purpose if FUCKING retarded. If you are going for that achievement you literally have to plan on dying. What the fuck. That is so dumb. I like achievements that are based on challenge and skill. Not random luck and easy shit. On the plus side it looks like you can do them on any map and in any mode.

The Orange Box, Crackdown, and Mass effect had the most engaging achievements.

I do not mind grinding out XXX number of kills with a weapon(Mass Effect did this well maybe because it was single player), I enjoy doing something fun in game (getting to the highest point in Pacific City), and I like completing time trials/ wacky trials (walking and portal limits in Portal).

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Trasher said:
Anyone else thinks this makes no sense? It seems to be rising much faster than 1.4 million per day... This whole thermometer thing seems like a farce IMO. It would make you assume that no one started doing challenges until the thermometer itself was released because it was nearly at the bottom. I know lots of us on here who had over 100 challenges completed before the thermometer was introduced. We now have around 120-140 total, and they are trying to say that around 60 million challenges have been done in that period? Something is fishy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_9

Ramirez

bobs99 ... said:
Are you serious? :lol :lol :lol

I think that personally they seem pretty stupid, because theyre going to promote pretty shitty play. I can predict my first few games on the new maps to involve people hiding with shotguns and throwing nades at theyre feet in cramped hallways. Never mind the people who are gonna use armour lock ALL the time until they get that vehicle achievment.

Sounds fun! And best of all, you cant just not buy the new maps to avoid this type of play. The effects on gameplay of the new achievments are going to spill over to all game modes. I especially cant wait to see all the griefers on rocket race. Wouldnt a better achievement have simply been 'win a game of rocket race'?

If people really care about theyre E peen and cant get the achievments legit, they will simply boost them in just about any game mode with friends. To be honest im saying right now that im gonna boost that shotgun one simply because I hate using that weapon, I find it pretty dull and cheap.

Well it was a double question, I really didn't know why everyone was so pissed. I know people that actually get upset if they can't get all of the achievements in something, so that's not that far of a stretch.

Church RvB said:
I don't like them because they seem infuriating. Double kill from the grave? I like achievements that are fun to get. Dying on purpose if FUCKING retarded. If you are going for that achievement you literally have to plan on dying. What the fuck. That is so dumb. I like achievements that are based on challenge and skill. Not random luck and easy shit. On the plus side it looks like you can do them on any map and in any mode.

Why would you plan on dying to get it? Just let it happen naturally, it'll happen one day, I'm pretty sure I've gotten tons of them.

So i was on facebook and i noticed a status update by a friend of mine. The exchange went as follows.

Her: FISHHOOKING!
Me: butt-hole fishhooking, yes?
Her: ur nasty!
Her: u stupid!!! its a show retard

She then deleted the entire status update and I messaged her with "u mad?" and attached the arrested development gif.

So, anyone care to explain why I haven't heard of this show?

I like the idea of achievements that are difficult to get, it makes it more like, you know, . . . an achievement. Why do gamers feel that they are entitled to be able to earn every achievement just by dumping enough time into the game, no matter how unskilled they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom