• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shake Appeal said:
Oh really...

(I like it: it's a change of pace, and more people suck with the magnum than suck with the DMR.)

Umm thats what I'm talking about, it was sarcasm I actually hate they ruined the one playlist I was sure to get a good gametype every time in. I fucking hate magnums, its too random whether or not you get the head shot from the distance most of SWAT is played at. I scope a guy its completely on his head it hits him but doesn't get the headshot? He turns around and noscope hits me from way far away and gets the kill? Absolute trash.

DMR is a lot less random in that regard.

Plus the upclose spam wars with magnums is such garbage.

feel

Cuban Legend said:
Nice to see someone find something like this. This comment on HBO speaks for my opinion of this easter egg situation:

TL;DR don't panties in a bunch halogaf
I disagree. I'd rather have this stuff found 2 years down the line by some no-life over-exploring nutjob.

Raide

Dani said:
HaloGAF Customs Time =)

Doh!

We just had our ForgeGAF Customs. :lol

I think we have a good few maps via GAF that play really well. Some fun Slayer and CTF maps coming along nicely.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dax01 said:
It is weak. He used modded hardware to rifle through the game code. There's literally no reason for devs like Dan to create interesting Easter Eggs if people cheat to find them (and post the results to Bnet to ruin all the fun).

urk said:
It is weak. He used modded hardware to rifle through the game code. There's literally no reason for devs like Dan to create interesting Easter Eggs if people cheat to find them (and post the results to Bnet to ruin all the fun).
I just thought your response was funny. :/

Letters said:
I disagree. I'd rather have this stuff found 2 years down the line by some no-life over-exploring nutjob.
You can have that opinion and I will respect it. I just dont think it's any different whether they do it manually or scour the game code. Both things take varying degrees of time and skill/luck to accomplish.

With that said, I'd expect halogaf not to whine and especially not to resort to childish name-calling when people essentially end up confirming the existance of an easter egg that Bungie already 'ruined/spoioled' to an extent.

Imma hop online for Customs, Gears of war 2 has me tired/raging too much.

Lazslo

I'm going to a Halloween party soon but is there any room in the customs lobby? I'd like to play a couples games before I leave

GhaleonEB

urk said:
I was kind of surprised to see the egg described in the BWU, honestly. As soon as I read it I knew a modder would dig up the code and ruin the hunt. Probably should keep another other eggs quiet for that reason. :(

MrBig said:
Kornman has been looking at the scripts and found the conditions for the Pelican egg.
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1028949

It still hasn't actually been found, but now we know what to do.
For those of you that still believe he found the tribute room in the first few days of the games release by "accident" while playing normally, are oblivious.

I personally hate when modders do this... It's thrilling when a community works together to solve something (The Megg for example). Then Modders trot in and just give it all away :\

eh

MrBig

Devin Olsen said:
For those of you that still believe he found the tribute room in the first few days of the games release by "accident" while playing normally, are oblivious.

I personally hate when modders do this... It's thrilling when a community works together to solve something (The Megg for example). Then Modders trot in and just give it all away :\

eh
After watching the video, it actually wasn't that obscure. The button is just placed in a less mundane way and the trigger for getting in the pelican is in the most obvious place. I new the trigger would be where it is before even watching.
It certainly wouldn't have taken that much longer for someone to just find it.

Circle T

Is this the same way the IWHBYD skull was discovered in Halo 3?? I never knew how someone would have figured that one out otherwise.

Zomba13

I like that this was found out. I know some people like it when the community works towards finding something but isn't that what was done here? Yeah it was done by a guy who looked through the game code but isn't he part of the community? And he only looked for it once the hint was given to the community.
This would have probably been found eventually though as it wasn't insanely obtuse like the IWHBYD skull in Halo 3. The hints were there for this (New Alexandria, at a certain time) people would have searched everywhere at every point (after each jammer and side mission) and the big building with the hole is kinda odd (first thing I did when I decided to look around he level was look around that building).

I understand wanting the easter eggs put into the game to be well hidden and found by the community but what's the point in putting them in if they are so hidden they take years to find? I don't think people would have found this for a while without the hint being given (which then made the guy look on the disk)

I'm now just waiting for some proper confirmation that there is no added/alternative ending (the one thing that Reach is missing imo)

Ghaleon,

Re: Crossorads.

My initial impressions are mixed. I definitely like the concept and design of it, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

The first thing that kept crossing my mind was that this map is way too big for infantry. Most of the team I found myself just walking around wishing I had a vehicle or something like a teleporter to walk through. Maybe make the map 3/4ths the size it is right now?

This is a specific CTF complaint, but at each base, there isn't a quick exit for the guy stealing the flag. I really enjoyed the aspect of the BTB maps in Halo 3 – Valhalla and Avalanche – that provided a quick exit for the dude stealing the flag. Twice I managed to get the flag, but I should've stayed still and let the other team killed me because I wouldn't be able to get it very far.

MrBig said:
After watching the video, it actually wasn't that obscure. The button is just placed in a less mundane way and the trigger for getting in the pelican is in the most obvious place. I new the trigger would be where it is before even watching.
It certainly wouldn't have taken that much longer for someone to just find it.

After he originally posted the text on HBO I actually played campaign with a couple of friends. We pressed the glitched button and then reading that we had to fly to a co-ordinate pretty much tried flying through the hoop. We got that part right, but without knowing what to look for we wouldn't have even tried that. (We just used the wrong switch. :lol )

As far as im concerned no one would have found this legit, especially without knowing what to look for :/ The switch that fooled us has probably fooled the rest of the people looking aswell.

darthbob said:
This kind of reminds me of the HiBen egg from Halo 2.

If you remember that, then props to you.
Every time I go through Delta Halo I always detour and find that guy. That was a pretty huge hunt :lol

bobs99 ... said:
After he originally posted the text on HBO I actually played campaign with a couple of friends. We pressed the glitched button and then reading that we had to fly to a co-ordinate pretty much tried flying through the hoop. We got that part right, but without knowing what to look for we wouldn't have even tried that. (We just used the wrong switch. :lol )

As far as im concerned no one would have found this legit, especially without knowing what to look for :/ The switch that fooled us has probably fooled the rest of the people looking aswell.
Let me just point out the fact that some eggs took years for the Halo community to find. You're saying that because after TWO MONTHS we haven't found the egg all hope was lost? I guarantee this egg would/could have been found legit if Kormann hadn't ruined it.

The IWHBYD skull was much more of a group hunt though, Thread on B.net was at least 120 pages. Actually not even sure if someone went into the code someone realized jumping through the hoops made a noise the others put together E dorian.

Devin Olsen said:
Let me just point out the fact that some eggs took years for the Halo community to find. You're saying that because after TWO MONTHS we haven't found the egg all hope was lost? I guarantee this egg would/could have been found legit if Kormann hadn't ruined it.

Oh no I wasnt saying that at all. Im just saying that this egg in particular had so many random factors to it AND there was a glitch throwing people off the trail.

It would have been found eventually by pure accident, but im all for finding out every secret now. Why wait 2 years when I can pilot a Pelican today? :D

Dont get me wrong, I know 100% where your coming from, he has certainly put a sudden end to what could have been a pretty epic treasure hunt, and he has kind of ruined Dan Millers hard work, but to an extent I dont think this is the kind of egg the community could have 'solved'. It isnt a puzzle - as ive already said, theres too much randomness to it for that to be the case, its likely 2 years from now people would have still been pressing the glitched button trying to get egg to work. :/

(Just in case you havent seen it, on one of the rooftops it seems as if a generator doesnt render properly, so it just leaves a button floating in mid air. It may be part of a different egg, but I assume its just a glitch.)

The IWHBYD Skull for Halo 3 was more of a puzzle, and it sucks that people ruined that by looking in code.

Anyway, the Pelican and Dropship are both a blast to fly, Flying using the Left Trigger can provide some fun, and out of interest you can actually get someone in the gun turrets and back passenger area.

Anyway on HBO his friend posted:

Read the other post I just made. When I joined his game, Kornman *did not* know everything about the egg. He found the switch himself through good-old searching. I suggested the first area we try after finding the switch, and that happened to be it. I don't even have the code to examine, so that didn't help anyone there.

So thats variable 1 done. I pretty much myself thought the hoop building looked curious, so I can only assume he would have maybe tried flying through it. I doubt the Code would have given him co-ordinates for the button?

I wish the daily challenges could be a bit more varied, or dare I say 'fun'. Almost all of them are just "kill X number of guys in Y mode". In the next map pack, the achievements should be completely based around completing challenges, so in turn the challenges should be cleverly thought out and not arbitrary shit that gets awarded to you just by playing normally. Sorry, just a little cranky after getting 1000 kills..

MrBig

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I wish the daily challenges could be a bit more varied, or dare I say 'fun'. Almost all of them are just "kill X number of guys in Y mode". In the next map pack, the achievements should be completely based around completing challenges, so in turn the challenges should be cleverly thought out and not arbitrary shit that gets awarded to you just by playing normally. Sorry, just a little cranky after getting 1000 kills..
They don't have as much flexibility in scripting events in multiplayer as they do in singleplayer. The challenges and achievements will always be mundane.

chapel

Banned
Went through my scripts logs, and actually what happened is they updated it, turned it back to a previous one, and then updated it again.

I say we have like 3 days or so for the cap to be up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
xxjuicesxx said:
The IWHBYD skull was much more of a group hunt though, Thread on B.net was at least 120 pages. Actually not even sure if someone went into the code someone realized jumping through the hoops made a noise the others put together E dorian.
Seriously, regardless of whether it was modded to get (which I don't agree with but don't have the OMG THIS IS RUINING HALO hate for), the community is usually actively involved in a lot of this, whether its suggestions or running tests or attempts or what have you.

Still looking for the guy who did the IWHBYD skull legit without any knowledge of how someone else did it.

Somnid

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Play 10 rounds without quitting - 3000 Cr.

MrBig said:
They don't have as much flexibility in scripting events in multiplayer as they do in singleplayer. The challenges and achievements will always be mundane.
They have a crazy amount of medals for multiplayer that each require a certain degree of scripting too though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
WHOA THE DUDE IS TOTALLY DRIVING THE PELICAN.

22:20 in this film.

evUjr.jpg

:O

EDIT: Phantom at 42:50.

Kapura,

I like your map, but I felt that the blue base was missing out on a lot of the action, and that I had to cross a lot of the map to get to the real fighting/crunch of the map. I felt most of the fighting took place at the red base and the middle. Is there anyway you could move the blue base forward?

Willeth

So the Waypoint EVA avatar helmet becomes available with the extra 250 in Reach without having to play Halo Wars. Is there going to be another item, requiring a higher Waypoint rank, to replace it?

MrDaravon

Willeth said:
So the Waypoint EVA avatar helmet becomes available with the extra 250 in Reach without having to play Halo Wars. Is there going to be another item, requiring a higher Waypoint rank, to replace it?

God I hope not, there's no way I'm going back to that. It's sad, I know a few people who spent a lot of time getting all the Achievements in Halo Wars just for Waypoint ranks/unlocks, it's incredibly lame.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
This is a specific CTF complaint, but at each base, there isn't a quick exit for the guy stealing the flag. I really enjoyed the aspect of the BTB maps in Halo 3 – Valhalla and Avalanche – that provided a quick exit for the dude stealing the flag. Twice I managed to get the flag, but I should've stayed still and let the other team killed me because I wouldn't be able to get it very far.
Thanks for the feedback. When I watched the films of the first few games on the map, one thing that stood out was people didn't know what quick routes there were on it. My suggestion for flag caps: Take the man cannon next to the base. Or, drop straight down the grav lift chute and take the (newly added) tunnels below there. It's a few second trip to either from the flag point. When playing on the map, I tend to do less playing and more testing stuff out to see if they work. On the last play test, I snagged a flag by taking it over the side man cannon. Tonight, I got one by taking the lower tunnel. But people are just walking past them for the most part.

One thing I noticed is that because you can see the entire map at once, there's this feeling that it takes forever to move around. I used a timer when building it and tested all the routes on foot to move around the map, and it takes (much) less time to walk across than Valhalla, and has the same number of vehicles to move infantry, set to the same timers. So I think there's a mix of perception and reality going on. That said I'll be watching the films closely and looking for ways to help infantry move around if they're needed. I've had two possible additions on backup in case it was an issue. :)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Plywood said:
I was joke posting to the tune of HaloGAF. :p

I know but everyone bitches about Armor lock so I thought I'd say that Camo sniper is worse. I just played against some guys on Asylum who were abusing it in Double's Arena. We lost 24-25. They mentioned my top 10 and how he guesses those were my better days. I wasn't the one using camo sniper combo all game though so I don't really care. I use hologram because it's really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom