• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Looks like they stopped the AFKers from continuously joining games. I had to do something a couple minutes before the end of a game and when I got back I was in the lobby with a message saying I was inactive.
This is fantastic.

Hey You

Shake Appeal said:
Bungie missed a trick today. It's Hallowe'en, why not have a Hallowe'en Challenge? Even something as simple as get a Zombie Killing Spree in multiplayer matchmaking, or just play a game of Infection?
I was hoping for this as well.

Anyone notice any little tidbits on any of the maps? Like the Lunch Menu on Longshore, The Valhalla wall etc

I really like One Flag CTF on Spire. It's probably my favourite map/game mode combination in Reach. The choke point in front of the flag base is insanely chaotic at times.

MrBig

Domino Theory said:
Reach Reclaimer (w/ level cap = 6 years to get) and buy everything in the Armory.
You have to buy all the helmets. Security unlocks at the last rank. It'll be 2-3 years by the time people get there legitly.

MrBig said:
Looks like they stopped the AFKers from continuously joining games. I had to do something a couple minutes before the end of a game and when I got back I was in the lobby with a message saying I was inactive.
This is fantastic.

I don't think this is new

OuterWorldVoice said:
Because idiots will invest too much in that information and behave poorly.

How can they behave poorly just from knowing if theyre host or not? I cant see if negativly effecting the game. I can predict people moaning that they are never host though. :lol

MrBig

brokenwatch said:
I don't think this is new
I've never run into it before and people have been posting about players that leave their xbox on while they're away continuously playing games for Game Completion credits.

Kuroyume

Banned
The melee lunge is the worst fucking thing in Halo. I can't stand it. I also hate how they nerfed the damn pistol making it less useful against those sprint melee idiots.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
OuterWorldVoice said:
Because idiots will invest too much in that information and behave poorly.

I guess. Honestly I would probably just use it for shit talking purposes. :lol But it's still useful information.

Speaking of shit talking. I mentioned yesterday how in Arena Double my teammate and I lost by 1 point on Asylum due to Camo Sniper all day long. After the game they brought up my top 10 and said I sucked, blah blah blah. I looked up their Halo 3 stats and of course they're on relatively new accounts. Probably because they were embarrassed to not have 50's in MLG lol. Well a few games later we matched them on Countdown. No snipers this time douche bags. My teammate and I took the win by I think 5 kills. It makes me happy to know that these guys were probably trying their hardest just so they can talk shit to me. BTW, I really only use Hologram in Arena or Competitive too. It's the most fun Armor Ability by far. They fell for it so many times, I'm getting good with it :lol Anywho, after the game they immediately go on the defense and start talking shit. I open up with, "no camo sniper this time pussies"

They reply with, "Nice Hologram loser!!" As if it's not the weakest and most underused armor ability. His teammates says, "what do you think your cool because you're in the MLG top 10?! You go around saying, 'hey look, i'm in the top 10' " :lol :lol Yea, after every game I play I say, "I WAS IN THE MLG TOP 10, GET SHIT ON" I never bring that up to anyone, they always bring it up to me. It was pretty hilarious and I'm glad those guys got what they deserved. I should make a hologram montage :lol

True skills seems to be working though. Early on the games were pretty easy but they quickly started presenting us with tougher matches including some against Semi pros and pros. I'll definitely sink more time into Arena with season 3. I would definitely like the ability to choose maps again though. I don't think Pinnacle and Reflection are good in their current forms. Oh and the Cage is bad too.

Tashi0106 said:
I guess. Honestly I would probably just use it for shit talking purposes. :lol But it's still useful information.

Speaking of shit talking. I mentioned yesterday how in Arena Double my teammate and I lost by 1 point on Asylum due to Camo Sniper all day long. After the game they brought up my top 10 and said I sucked, blah blah blah. I looked up their Halo 3 stats and of course they're on relatively new accounts. Probably because they were embarrassed to not have 50's in MLG lol. Well a few games later we matched them on Countdown. No snipers this time douche bags. My teammate and I took the win by I think 5 kills. It makes me happy to know that these guys were probably trying their hardest just so they can talk shit to me. BTW, I really only use Hologram in Arena or Competitive too. It's the most fun Armor Ability by far. They fell for it so many times, I'm getting good with it :lol Anywho, after the game they immediately go on the defense and start talking shit. I open up with, "no camo sniper this time pussies"

They reply with, "Nice Hologram loser!!" As if it's not the weakest and most underused armor ability. His teammates says, "what do you think your cool because you're in the MLG top 10?! You go around saying, 'hey look, i'm in the top 10' " :lol :lol Yea, after every game I play I say, "I WAS IN THE MLG TOP 10, GET SHIT ON" I never bring that up to anyone, they always bring it up to me. It was pretty hilarious and I'm glad those guys got what they deserved. I should make a hologram montage :lol

True skills seems to be working though. Early on the games were pretty easy but they quickly started presenting us with tougher matches including some against Semi pros and pros. I'll definitely sink more time into Arena with season 3. I would definitely like the ability to choose maps again though. I don't think Pinnacle and Reflection are good in their current forms. Oh and the Cage is bad too.

:lol Thats hilarious, "nice hologram loser". You can really tell you upset them for them to say something as stupid as that.

On a slightly related tangeant, I think I realised why the Arena worked so much better in the Beta. Assists worked, meaning teamwork was promoted. Bungle fix your shit etc etc

Somnid

Kuroyume said:
The melee lunge is the worst fucking thing in Halo. I can't stand it. I also hate how they nerfed the damn pistol making it less useful against those sprint melee idiots.

All that matters is how many shots you got in before the melee because most players who time their melees correctly will hit each other at the same time anyway. Sprinting doesn't make a difference.

bobs99 ... said:
How can they behave poorly just from knowing if theyre host or not? I cant see if negativly effecting the game. I can predict people moaning that they are never host though. :lol

If the game stated who the host was, the chances are they'd get a lot of unfair cheating feedback since players would use them as a scapegoat for anything. On the other hand, at least if someone does start doing dodgy things, it's easier to point the blame.

I also suppose Bungie want to avoid people receiving abuse because their host was bad as well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kuroyume said:

How to stop sprint melee idiots with magnum:

1. Listen for the LOUD breathing

2. Spam all of your magnum shots

3. Listen and watch for their shields to pop

4. Melee trade for the kill

5. Tea bag to deter sprint melee idiots from using it in the future.

GhaleonEB

Brief interruption. Just had my best game of Score Attack so far, thought I'd commemorate it with an old-school picture post.

Mythic Score Attack, Courtyard

My routine is pretty simple on Courtyard. For the Grunt wave I clear out the right hand area of the map, which generally has one or two squads, then head down there and take out the rest of the Grunts as they crest the ridge from the other side. Then fall back up to the area outside the safe room and work on the Jackal wave.

The trick there is to not kill any of the Nerfle Jackals until they're close to the safe room, that way I can comfortably pick up their Nerfle ammo for the Brute wave. Well, this time around I couldn't resist a triple kill, and took one out way in center, too far to risk heading out for. So I start the Brute wave with about 50 needles, not nearly enough for them, which means I'm in trouble.

I have a half dozen close calls, but survive until the Nerfle is out of ammo and I'm out of plasma grenades, at which point the safe room gets overrun. Time to bail out.

Myth1.jpg

Fighting Brutes in the open like this is generally certain death, so I have a sense of futility about the escape, but then I run across this baby, thanks to my ill advised shot on the Jackal wave.

Myth2.jpg

It was like finding gold. I head up to the far left corner and scope out what I'm dealing with.

Myth3.jpg

One full Brute four pack, and the three that flushed me out of the safe room. They didn't know where I was for a few moments, so one fellow hops up to scope the area, and spots me.

Myth4.jpg

A couple of gutteral yelps later, and they're coming up the ramps on both sides. Between me and the safe room is the three pack, and because three is less than four I head over there and have a dance with them on the open floor. The Nerfle is nearly exhausted, but so are they.

Myth5.jpg

The remaining squad is right behind me.

Myth6.jpg

We meet back up at the safe room and all hell breaks lose for a few seconds.

Myth7.jpg

One double kill later, and I'm out of both plasma grenades and needles, again. So it's back out the door to scour.

Myth8.jpg

Just as I'm heading out the door, the worst happens: "Reinforcements." Out in the lower area of Courtyard is just about the worst place to be when 20 Skirmishers beam onto the map. The door opens and I'm saved.

Myth9.jpg

That baby stuck around from the Grunt wave, bless its heart. The door opens behind me and the last two Brutes get a warm welcome.

Myth10.jpg

With them toast I head back into the safe room for the Skirmisher wave, just in time to get swarmed. I get through the wave intact, with two over-kills along the way (2,000 points each). One last close call on the second to last Elite of the final wave. On Mythic, they take two plasma over charge shots to strip the shields off. The first one was close:

Myth11.jpg

The second wasn't any better:

Myth12.jpg

So, yeah. First game of Mythic Score Attack survived without any deaths. Final score, 35,698. My hands were literally shaking at the end from the tension.

Score Attack for life, and Lars for President.

Interruption over, back to regular programming.

bobs99 ... said:
On a slightly related tangeant, I think I realised why the Arena worked so much better in the Beta. Assists worked, meaning teamwork was promoted. Bungle fix your shit etc etc
Agree completly. I would rather they were too generous with assists which would make players team-shot perhaps too much, in turn boosting their rating rather than the current situation.

MrBig said:
I've never run into it before and people have been posting about players that leave their xbox on while they're away continuously playing games for Game Completion credits.

I've had it several times when I leave near the end of the game for bathroom or whatever. I think those people you see are joining games and then putting the controller down and doing something else until the game ends, then joining again.

brokenwatch said:
I've had it several times when I leave near the end of the game for bathroom or whatever. I think those people you see are joining games and then putting the controller down and doing something else until the game ends, then joining again.
I actually saw someone that was afk (or what I call afc) for a whole game. Then a day later I saw him again and he was again afk the whole game. What's the point?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Tashi0106 said:
How to stop sprint melee idiots with magnum:

1. Listen for the LOUD breathing

2. Spam all of your magnum shots

3. Listen and watch for their shields to pop

4. Melee trade for the kill

5. Tea bag to deter sprint melee idiots from using it in the future.

Speaking of, I think it's kind of fucked up that people who play Reach and listen to custom soundtracks are at a disadvantage with the sprint panting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Domino Theory said:
Speaking of, I think it's kind of fucked up that people who play Reach and listen to custom soundtracks are at a disadvantage with the sprint panting.
I can't listen to music while playing shooting games. I'm like OCD or something, but I always feel like I'll miss a grenade or muffled explosion or a shot or something.

Sai-kun

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I can't listen to music while playing shooting games. I'm like OCD or something, but I always feel like I'll miss a grenade or muffled explosion or a shot or something.

I can't do anything without music playing :lol Not playing with music is so strange to me!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dax01 said:
Stupid criticism: What poorly-trained Spartan leaves the external speakers of his helmet on so his enemies can hear him running towards them?

What stupid gamer doesn't understand a game play balance decision?

Sai-kun said:
I can't do anything without music playing :lol Not playing with music is so strange to me!

Na, Na, Na ,Na.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dax01 said:
Stupid criticism: What poorly-trained Spartan leaves the external speakers of his helmet on so his enemies can hear him running towards them?

Same Spartan who fooled around with Kat prior to augmentation.

She didn't get that sexy accent by accident. :D

Dax01 said:
It's kind of like not turning your shields on so you can get domed by an elite from a dropship.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:
Same Spartan who fooled around with Kat prior to augmentation.

She didn't get that sexy accent by accident. :D

What? What does this even mean?!?!?

Self Induced said:
It's kind of like not turning your shields on so you can get domed by an elite from a dropship.

EMP! It was an EMP!!!

Would have been cooler if he supercombined her head off. :lol

Just ran into a GAF lurker in SWAT who carried me to a win. He's awaiting activation. Also I noticed I've been running into a lot of players I used to run into in H3 SWAT up at rank 50, the 5 star kids so I'm starting to believe in this trueskill being there in some shape or form.

Also got the weekly and the love of the game challenge. Up to 750K cR!

feel

MLG map "Genome" is fantastic.

I don't know why we're playing the cage, atom and cliffhang on matchmaking when there's so much great stuff out there. :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just beat the game on solo Legendary. The game seemed more difficult on my first playthrough on Heroic. Almost every single difficult encounter that I remember really wasn't a significant issue on Legendary.

With the exception of the Hunters on Nightfall (which I glitched passed completely) all of the major encounters were relatively easy with a few unexceptional encounters give me a pause or two.

For example, Long Night of Solace's end segment was quite a pain. Constantly running out of ammo and having to fight Elite after Elite was quite tough. The Space segment was a cakewalk though.

Exodus was a breeze, those Brutes just fell thanks to the bountiful pink skin popping weapons scattered about.

New Alexandria's hospital segment was almost as simple as walking in and and walking back out. I remember the Elites giving me a tough time but on Legendary, they just fell over and over again.

The Package was was a chore - mainly because I was trying to keep the Scorpion intact and the holdout on Glacier wasn't as bad as I expected. The Covenant came in a lovely casual pace, wave after wave, and I could see most of them at a distance anyway and take them out. The Wraith in the distance didn't harass me at all. It light up the level a bit. And probably encouraged a lot of the slowdown.

The final level, just what the heck? The start was a bother because of starting with an AR and just a Pistol, but it got seemingly easier after that. Mongoose past the Scarab area, spare a rocket for Wraith and Brutes and siege the Boneyard section. Again I remember this being tougher on Heroic. The Holdout near the end was a chore as I was trying to conserve ammo for the final batch of Elites before the MAC gun. I get to the final Elites and notice they have an Engineer this time around. I'm thinking this is going to be tough - took me quite a while on Heroic so it should be. Then I take stock of my weapons. I had saved two rockets, picked up a Plasma Launcher and a Fuel Rod from the Brutes and Grunts, saved a Sword from earlier, plenty of Plasma Pistols, a Hammer, had the hidden ammo cache with a ton of DMR and Shotgun ammo and realised I hadn't used the Sniper Rifle waiting patiently for me. Those poor Elites didn't have a chance.

Kuroyume

Banned
Why does every person who plays Multi Team always pick stupid shit like Elite Slayer or Rocket Race. I can't stand Rocket Race. It's so freaking awful.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kuroyume said:
Why does every person who plays Multi Team always pick stupid shit like Elite Slayer or Rocket Race. I can't stand Rocket Race. It's so freaking awful.

Yeah, I'm surprised at the fascination with Elite Slayer in MT. I don't see how anyone can enjoy that gametype at all.

Gui_PT

Kuroyume said:

Someone always vote for that crap. Make a Race playlist!

Kuroyume said:

I've been quite lucky today, mostly Slayer / Crazy King / Oddball.

Managed to snag the weirdest Oddball kill earlier too.
With the Sword

MrBig

Dani said:
For example, Long Night of Solace's end segment was quite a pain. Constantly running out of ammo and having to fight Elite after Elite was quite tough. The Space segment was a cakewalk though.
I did this with mythic and famine on legendarygfdskjglhdf
Never again.

Kuroyume said:
Why is every post Kuroyume makes a complaint? I can't stand it. It's so freaking awful.

Dug

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Personally, I find Rocket Race to be really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom