• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

LosDaddie said:
It's not working? :(
It gives you the credits but it doesn't show it in the post-game screen.
e: All I had to do for the challenge is search for a game, I didn't even have to wait untill it found people, let alond got into a game.

Arena is gonna be slayer pro only?
Interesting.

I hadn't played into a full Arena rank since the game came out, mostly due to Armor Lock being broken. If it goes to no-radar, sprint-only I may end up spending a lot of time in there, even if I get the worst rank :lol

GhaleonEB

Sai-kun said:
Bungie is seriously gonna make us wait until tomorrow for the ranks. :lol Wow.
I don't recall if it's been said or not, but I'm also expecting a new cap after it's lifted, keeping the top couple ranks out of reach for a while longer. Part of me is hoping they do just for the reaction.

I'm a Major Grade 2, which I'm surprised to see is only five grades below the cap. I thought I'd be much further away.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ZayneH said:
Gonna laugh if Bungie trolls everyone and the bar gets reset. "Something something webmaster something."

Special message from studio president already prepped.

Shawn128

koshunter said:
Bah, I can't seem to get the easy 3000 cR. I'm already linked with Bungie.net and have played several FF matches and several other matches against people but no luck. =(

So close to Lieutenant too.

Yeah how do you check to see if you're linked up? I haven't gotten it yet and I'm trying to figure out how to check on their site.

Raide

urk said:
Special message from studio president already prepped.

"Dear All.

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

The Bungie Pres."

Shawn128 said:
Yeah how do you check to see if you're linked up? I haven't gotten it yet and I'm trying to figure out how to check on their site.

Symbol appear on your in-game bar.

Somnid

GhaleonEB said:
I don't recall if it's been said or not, but I'm also expecting a new cap after it's lifted, keeping the top couple ranks out of reach for a while longer. Part of me is hoping they do just for the reaction.

I'm a Major Grade 2, which I'm surprised to see is only five grades below the cap. I thought I'd be much further away.

Seeing certain ranks (and so many) just makes me think of how crazy people are. I average about 1-1.5 hours a day since launch and I'm just about Captain rank 2. I can't imagine how much people play to have been sitting at Lt. Colonel for weeks. Also, I saw some dude today with the pestilence effect. I wish I had that much free time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhaleonEB said:

Was it not mentioned this would be the only time the cap is raised and everything is available forever?

The cap is useless as is now and capping it again would really only make people lose interest/work again for more stuff they can't redeem.

Shawn128

Raide said:
Symbol appear on your in-game bar.

The bar with my gamertag/rank on it? With a special logo on it if you've played previous Bungie games?

Well, I've done that, I dunno why I'm not getting the challenge.

Raide

Shawn128 said:
The bar with my gamertag/rank on it? With a special logo on it if you've played previous Bungie games?

Well, I've done that, I dunno why I'm not getting the challenge.

I jumped into Scoreattack and it worked. Maybe try a different MM to see if it works.

Somnid

enzo_gt said:
Was it not mentioned this would be the only time the cap is raised and everything is available forever?

The cap is useless as is now and capping it again would really only make people lose interest/work again for more stuff they can't redeem.

I don't think many people feel that way. In practicality, it's no different than if they added ranks and armory items via DLC. Which they should also do.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Somnid said:
I don't think many people feel that way. In practicality, it's no different than if they added ranks and armory items via DLC. Which they should also do.
People aren't exactly complaining about it, but what is the point of staggering releases of content already on the disc? If we're doing comparisons, it's like unlocking stuff through 108kb keys on Xbox Live.

What is the purpose of the cap exactly? Besides artificially creating something the community can work towards as a whole, what other significant purpose does it serve?

Azar

enzo_gt said:
People aren't exactly complaining about it, but what is the point of staggering releases of content already on the disc? If we're doing comparisons, it's like unlocking stuff through 108kb keys on Xbox Live.
No it's not. That's paying extra money for content already on a piece of media you've paid for. A level cap is not the same.

enzo_gt said:

What is the purpose of the cap exactly? Besides artificially creating something the community can work towards as a whole, what other significant purpose does it serve?
officially they said the cap was in place to stop any possible occurrence that could result in cR hacks/mods becoming successful and spreading, the cap could temporarily stop the modders until Bungie could patch it/automate bans for the hacks and continue on.

But we were told it's because they wanted to grasp more clearly how much credits should be required for the higher up ranks by analyzing player rank progression/ cR accumulation data in order to scale credit requirements correctly.

Oozer3993

enzo_gt said:

The cap is in place so Bungie can evaluate how quickly people are ranking up and adjust the number of credits needed for the higher ranks so that the highest ones are only achieved by a small minority of players.

Somnid

enzo_gt said:

I think the whole point of player investment is to counter people spending 12 hours a day to unlock everything and a month later they have moved on to something else (CoD?) with no desire to put the disc back in their 360. The whole point is to stretch the experience, get people to log in and get a few challenges a day rather than completely burn-out in a fit of perfectionism.

I kind of see the cap, and the challenge to lift it, as stemming from Luke Smith's experience with the Scarab Lord quests in WOW. He's referenced that on the Bungie Podcast/1up Yours a few times, and I think the idea of a big communal quests really appeals to his design in this area.

Somnid said:
I think the whole point of player investment is to counter people spending 12 hours a day to unlock everything and a month later they have moved on to something else (CoD?) with no desire to put the disc back in their 360. The whole point is to stretch the experience, get people to log in and get a few challenges a day rather than completely burn-out in a fit of perfectionism.

Agreed.

I'm enjoying Reach enough that a big part of me hopes that I don't get sucked into Black Ops. I know myself-I can't play both.

electricpirate said:
I kind of see the cap, and the challenge to lift it, as stemming from Luke Smith's experience with the Scarab Lord quests in WOW. He's referenced that on the Bungie Podcast/1up Yours a few times, and I think the idea of a big communal quests really appeals to his design in this area.

The AQ opening was really a whole realm effort for just a few people, in reach people are just doing their challenges for fun or to level up and a large part of the community doesn't even know about the meter.

cuevas said:
The AQ opening was really a whole realm effort for just a few people, in reach people are just doing their challenges for fun or to level up and a large part of the community doesn't even know about the meter.

I'm not saying it's done well, but I think the idea of big community goals unlocking content is the same idea here.

aesop

Sai-kun said:
Bungie is seriously gonna make us wait until tomorrow for the ranks. :lol Wow.
Don't forget about the 8-5ers (myself included) who have yet to do today's challenges. Could open up tonight.

FourDoor

With everyone ranking up so quickly and the cap lifting, I think I'll do what I did in Halo 3 and try keep my rank low on purpose. I like beeing seen as the underdog in each match I go in to.

Staff Captains FTW!!! :lol

darthbob

FourDoor said:
With everyone ranking up so quickly and the cap lifting, I think I'll do what I did in Halo 3 and try keep my rank low on purpose. I like beeing seen as the underdog in each match I go in to.

Force Colonel, Bitch. :D

FourDoor said:

I always look at someones stats and ignore their rank, since ranks just mean how much extra time you have or how much you like to exploit the game.

What do you have to do to "link to Bungie.net" or whatever.

I mean I've checked my stats/game history on there already. Is that what they mean?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Azar said:
No it's not. That's paying extra money for content already on a piece of media you've paid for. A level cap is not the same.
Say the key was free. And it was advertised as NEW CONTENT THROUGH DLC. Then it's the same, monetized or not, it's holding back content on the disc. Ofcourse, making you pay for it is absurd, and is much worse than what Bungie is doing, but since the level cap clearly has no use as of now, there shouldn't be another cap placed to stifle progression and stagger content already on the disc.

Hey You

Buckethead said:
What do you have to do to "link to Bungie.net" or whatever.

I mean I've checked my stats/game history on there already. Is that what they mean?
You have to have a BNet account linked to your Gamertag.

This thread should help ya out.

FourDoor

cuevas said:
I always look at someones stats and ignore their rank, since ranks just mean how much extra time you have or how much you like to exploit the game.

I do too but between the time it takes to figure out what gametype/map to vote for, seeing who is in who's party, there isn't much time to really see the other players stats. :lol

electricpirate said:

I didnt bother to read up the scarab quests, but the rank cap in Halo Reach was a missed opportunity to actually have a fun communal challenge, I cant believe WOW would have had something as boring as complete insanely high number of challenges.

I think even 343 Million kills earned online would have been more fun, because it would have felt more visceral. Meh who cares, thank god the caps gone tomorow. :lol

bobs99 ... said:
I didnt bother to read up the scarab quests, but the rank cap in Halo Reach was a missed opportunity to actually have a fun communal challenge, I cant believe WOW would have had something as boring as complete insanely high number of challenges.

I think even 343 Million kills earned online would have been more fun, because it would have felt more visceral. Meh who cares, thank god the caps gone tomorow. :lol
It was basically a long quest line very few people completed and whole realms working together to farm stuff. The reward was also much more grand. Level cap being taken off is nothing.

cuevas said:
It was basically a long quest line very few people completed and whole realms working together to farm stuff. The reward was also much more grand. Level cap being taken off is nothing.

Thats true, maybe it would have felt more involved if they were rewarding us with something rather than just letting us access the next part of the game. The sad thing is, as someone who was really excited about armours and stuff, I actually feel really indifferent to the cap being lifted now.

I really hope that Bungie isnt making a MMO, or learns from this if they are. (But I say that as someone who has never touched a MMO).

Feorax

Just played Infection on Asylum.

Cunts just sat there on the rocks where no-one could get them (you know, where a 2 year old could tell you there should be a killzone), and I was made a zombie 3 times in a row.

Went -22

Sort your fucking maps out Bungie.

[/rage]

FourDoor

Hypertrooper said:

Halo Cryptum said:
ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND YEARS AGO,
the galaxy was populate by a great variety of beings.
But one species - eons beyond all others in both
technology and knowledge - achieved dominance.
They ruled in peace but met opposition with
quick and brutal effectiveness.
They were the Forerunners - the keepers
of the Mantle, the next stage of life in
the Universe's Living Time
And then they vanished.
This is their story

Man this makes me so happy... :D

FourDoor

GhaleonEB said:
That made me smile, and the flap description on the right flipped it upside down. But the trilogy isn't for me.

Hmmmm not sure about our hero being named Bornstellar but I have nigh hopes of this trilogy linking all of the Forerunner technology we've seen in the Halo series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom