• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

The main problem with vehicles is that weapons that shouldn't be able to kill them, destroy them. Concentrated DMR fire should not blow up vehicles as quickly as it does, and snipers should not be able to basically kill any vehicle with one clip. The Ghost is the saddest vehicle of all, the thing rarely ever kills anyone before the other guy can shoot and kill them with their gun, be it pistol, DMR, or AR. :lol It's basically a splatter only vehicle now, and that doesn't happen often with AL in the mix. :p

GloveSlap

I don't want Armor Lock in the game at all but if it stays it definitely needs more weaknesses. Such as:

-Fixed Armor Lock duration, no popping out early. Duration should be shorter than current max lock time
-Lock time doesn't count toward shield regeneration
-not being able to shoot for a time after popping out
-if you get stuck by a plasma before locking then you are dead
-not being able to rotate the camera all around you while you are locked
-1 lock per charge and more time before the charge comes back.
-a limit on how many on a team can use the ability

They could implement everything there and it could still be borderline overpowered, that is how broken it is now.

Ferny

Armor lock doesn't bother me at all. I hardly, if ever, use it because of the fact that its pretty easy to counter against. I pretty much know exactly when its going to come off of the player so I just time a grenade a two right at their feet. I have no issue with any of the armor abilities to be honest.

I see everyone is still discussing Armor Lock. I'm in the dislike camp. I don't think it doesn't belong in the game, but I don't think it's too powerful and too versatile compared to the other abilities. And is being overused by the community.

What I really came in here for was to ask why does my Achievement list say I have 47 of 49 achievements at a glance, but once you go into it and look it says I have 48. Which I do. I have all the achievements besides buy something that requires Lt Colonel. Any fix for this? It's bugging me.:lol

Jinjo

GloveSlap said:
I don't want Armor Lock in the game at all but if it stays it definitely needs more weaknesses. Such as:

-Fixed Armor Lock duration, no popping out early. Duration should be shorter than current max lock time

They could implement everything there and it could still be borderline overpowered, that is how broken it is now.

34rsny9.jpg

Such an awesome .gif.:lol

Only 40K off my sweet sweet Mark VI helmet.

Rank cap really should scale a bit more though. I had quite a bit of time to play today, but with the challenges and extra credits you gain at higher ranks, it wasn't too hard to get there. 60K when you get 500 a game is very hard to hit. When you get 1500-2000 it's not that hard.

ShinAmano

GloveSlap said:

I am not a huge fan of AL but don't hate on it as much as others, but I 100% agree that this should be the case.

I think vehicle play is better in Reach than in Halo 3. In the beta I hated the Banshee, but I prefer the Reach Banshee to the Halo 3 Banshee - I also kinda like the less rigid Hog, reminds me more of Halo 1 having something that goes crazy. I kind of like how the vehicles are really powerful offensivly, but also really weak defensivly - it removes the need for the laser, and so when you die even though you die quick its always fairer than a random blast out of nowhere. With the Banshee its best to do sweeping attacks, it works well.

Sorry if this is late (and badly written), I started this post when BTB was a relevant conversation. :lol

GhaleonEB

I won't belabor the armor lock discussion, but I thought I'd mention one last thing.

It stands out on the armor abilities because of how versatile it is.

Three AA's are devoted to enhanced player movement: Sprint is rapid horizontal movement, Evade is a quick juke, and Jet Pack is vertical movement.

Two AA's deal with player visibility: Camo makes you disappear, Hologram makes you have a doppelganger. One makes you cloaked, the other distracts.

They all serve a specific purpose yet have a number of applications.

Then there's Armor Lock, which has a long, bullet-point list of features. Invulnerability, sheds needles and plasma grenades, EMP, destroys vehicles on contact, knocks back and damages (?) mêlée strikes, enables health regeneration while protected. It has all these secondary features festooned onto it which make it far too dominant an ability.

It should be simple, just as all the others are: when locked, you take no damage, end of story. You don't destroy vehicles for going into it, don't damage people who smack you, can't regain health while in it, etc. Keep it simple, and it would STILL be a useful and versatile ability.

I think it really damages the game as is.

*cue repost of lol armor lock gif*

(Bubble shield is really more of a Firefight/Campaign addition and I don't think it has a place in MP where everyone can have one.)

Raide

ShinAmano said:
I am not a huge fan of AL but don't hate on it as much as others, but I 100% agree that this should be the case.

Maybe if you get stuck and then AL, the explosion drops AL.

Striker

GloveSlap said:
So, what's the point in using it if you want to nerf it all to hell?

As for the vehicles, they don't bother me. The Warthog reminds me of Halo 2's version, which is better for the gameplay. The version in 3 was too slow and the chain-gun was too powerful for infantry. If you spawned in the open, see Sandtrap, Standoff, or Avalanche, you're dead within two seconds.

The only real complaint is the Revenant, because its blast is quite weak. I had presumed when it got announced it was going to be the Covenant version of the Warthog, so to speak, and it's really just been a sidekick type vehicle. Good for splattering and getting quick getaways, however.

Ramirez said:
and snipers should not be able to basically kill any vehicle with one clip.

Actually, in the fiction, it should- it's an armor-piercing anti-materiel rifle. If anything, it never made sense in previous games that it didn't do shit against vehicles, as that was it's intended purpose in-universe :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wow, you guys basically want armor lock to be horrible. What's the point in having it in the game if it isn't worth using? I really don't get the hate for it, it is easy to beat if you are smart about it, and fun to use if you are good at it.

People here are acting like Armor lock ruined the game, if so, what about invisibility and camping snipers? What about sprinting away from battle when you are injured? Same thing.

ElRenoRaven

Jinjo said:
34rsny9.jpg

Such an awesome .gif.:lol

It really is. Maybe Bungie should make a classic playlist with NO armor abilities. I would love to see that just so we could see how it's numbers compare with the armor lock playlist.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Wow, you guys basically want armor lock to be horrible. What's the point in having it in the game if it isn't worth using? I really don't get the hate for it, it is easy to beat if you are smart about it, and fun to use if you are good at it.

People here are acting like Armor lock ruined the game, if so, what about invisibility and camping snipers? What about sprinting away from battle when you are injured? Same thing.

Guess for some it did. Personally I love it. I find that I die just as much with it as not because there are plenty who have no problem with it.

feel

I'm fine with the armor lock as it is, but would accept for the duration of it to be cut in half, and no sticky bailouts. Of course in that case I would ask in return for a sprint nerf (f you, rushing hammer/sword douche!), a jetpack nerf (f you, asshole in the inaccessible roof!) and camo nerf (f you, sniper!).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
PsychoRaven said:
Guess for some it did. Personally I love it. I find that I die just as much with it as not because there are plenty who have no problem with it.

Exactly, the abilities still have a distinct purpose per map, there are a handful of maps that I wouldn't use armor lock on (namely vertical maps) because jetpackers and the likes can just take you out from afar.

I can see people getting frustrated with it if they are just running up and meleeing the person with it on, but if you take a step back and wait for it to pop you'll be fine. If I run into someone with it I will time it so I hit them with a grenade right as they come out of it.

Sure in crazy situations with many people you may not have time to wait for them but that is the perk of the ability, just like all the others have special situations in which they work extremely well.

GhaleonEB

Deadly Cyclone said:

FWIW, it's very frustrating to have conversations with responses like this, which is why I've stayed out of it until now. Assuming you're responding to me, I would ask, how would Armor Lock be "horrible" as I described it. You would use it to protect from grenades and rockets, evade vehicle splatters (and launch them over you to boot) and generally get a momentary safe haven for team mates to rescue you or to survive incoming damage. Sounds quite useful to me. The downside is you're vulnerable after.

I don't think the ability to move more quickly for a brief time is comparable to the ability to destroy a Warthog by going into AL, but that's me.

Done bitching about AL now. Back to Score Attack hype and map updates. :p

Hartt951

Ramirez said:
The main problem with vehicles is that weapons that shouldn't be able to kill them, destroy them. Concentrated DMR fire should not blow up vehicles as quickly as it does, and snipers should not be able to basically kill any vehicle with one clip. The Ghost is the saddest vehicle of all, the thing rarely ever kills anyone before the other guy can shoot and kill them with their gun, be it pistol, DMR, or AR. :lol It's basically a splatter only vehicle now, and that doesn't happen often with AL in the mix. :p
Yeah seriously. I play BTB all the time and it's ridiculous how many Warthogs/Banshees/Ghosts Ive blown up using just the DMR. Doesnt make sense :lol

Deadly Cyclone said:

Its because most of HaloGaf, or at least those complaining about it, probably are too...(dont want to get banned here).. well, lets just say they aren't thinking properly.

You guys fail to realize that while in AL you can't move. Your mobility is STOPPED completely! And @Ghaleon so what if you recharge? If you didn't it would be a useless ability. Not only can't you move, but now your shields don't recharge? Your only hope in a situation like that is for a teammate to have your back otherwise any player worth crap is going to kill you. I think the problem with you guys is you want a kill so bad you just sit behind the AL guy instead of backing up and lining up your shot, or placing a grenade at his feet in tandem with your bullets.

Stop being so anxious about getting one kill. Relax.

ps. I was credit banned for two weeks lol. Why did I do it? Black Ops is coming out so I had nothing to loose.:lol While I do regret doing it now, I'll only regret it for another 4 days.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GhaleonEB said:
FWIW, it's very frustrating to have conversations with responses like this, which is why I've stayed out of it until now. Assuming you're responding to me, I would ask, how would Armor Lock be "horrible" as I described it. You would use it to protect from grenades and rockets, evade vehicle splatters (and launch them over you to boot) and generally get a momentary safe haven for team mates to rescue you or to survive incoming damage. Sounds quite useful to me. The downside is you're vulnerable after.

I don't think the ability to move more quickly for a brief time is comparable to the ability to destroy a Warthog by going into AL, but that's me.

Done bitching about AL now. Back to Score Attack hype and map updates. :p

Not you specifically Ghal, I liked your suggestions more. :D

The way I see it, armor lock fits a niche just like any other AA, you can use it if someone gets the jump on you, to destroy small vehicles and avoid large ones (I don't think it kills a warthog), and brush off grenades. The other AA's have their list of bonuses too, sprint for instance, if someone gets the jump on you, you are able to sprint away and lose them. Or even use it to sprint up to a victim that didn't know you are there, or avoid vehicle fire.

Invisibility lets you snipe without being seen, sneak into bases, get the jump on an enemy by using the radar jammer, etc.

From the list of AA's they are mostly offensive abilities, and one of the few defensive ones (besides sprint at times) is armor lock. Lock enables you to counter those players who use sprint, or jetpack, etc to get the jump on you because of the offensive capabilities of their AA.

I see why some might think it is a bit over powered, but I disagree because it gives just as many defensive perks to the player as the other AA's give offensive perks.

GloveSlap

Deadly Cyclone said:

Not ridiculously overpowered doesn't necessarily mean horrible. Armor Lock should have never been released its current state. To me it is like the zero g area in Zealot, i.e. a serious lack in judgment that should have never made it past play testing. They could nerf it to hell and people will still use it because it is still something that saves you when you should have been dead.

A solo armor locker is nothing, except in rumble pit and multi-team where it just gives your kill away to some random thief that walks by. A team of armor lockers, on the other hand, is incredibly hard to fight if they are using even basic strategy. Camping is a problem in every game but go play a game on Sword Base where everyone is camping the top of the yellow lift area with armor lock and tell me that is fair. Not to mention when someone is sniping on a ledge somewhere and you cant even land a well placed grenade on them anymore because they will just armor lock it away.

Camo sucks too. Armor abilities should have been all movement based IMO.

My only real complaint about AL is when it breaks flow because some guy is sitting there hanging out in it. I think I would fix this by converting it into three short bursts (Slam, and UP), with a slight pause between each, that way if you use it at a bad time, you are done, and it takes more timing.

As is, I still think it adds a lot more to the game (A way to stop power weapons, a vehicle counter, and a distraction for your team) than it takes away when someone thinks it would be awesome to just sit and hold, but I wouldn't mind seeing some small tweaks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GloveSlap said:
Not ridiculously overpowered doesn't necessarily mean horrible. Armor Lock should have never been released its current state. To me it is like the zero g area in Zealot, i.e. a serious lack in judgment that should have never made it past play testing. They could nerf it to hell and people will still use it because it is still something that saves you when you should have been dead.

A solo armor locker is nothing, except in rumble pit and multi-team where it just gives your kill away to some random thief that walks by. A team of armor lockers, on the other hand, is incredibly hard to fight if they are using even basic strategy. Camping is a problem in every game but go play a game on Sword Base where everyone is camping the top of the yellow lift area with armor lock and tell me that is fair. Not to mention to mention when someone is sniping on a ledge somewhere and you cant even land a well placed grenade on them anymore because they will just armor lock it away.

Camo sucks too. Armor abilities should have been all movement based IMO.

Thing is, so do a handful of the other AA's. I can't tell you how many times I have been playing a map with a decent amount of cover and been killing a guy only to have him sprint to cover right before I get the kill shot. Yes, lock makes you invulnerable, but your are immobile, so instead of chasing the person with sprint around cover you just have to wait a few seconds for them to pop out.

I do agree with Sword base though, that lift area is crazy. I think that is more of the map's fault than anything, even without lock the whole game would take place in that upper hallway/stairway area.

electricpirate said:
My only real complaint about AL is when it breaks flow because some guy is sitting there hanging out in it. I think I would fix this by converting it into three short bursts (Slam, and UP), with a slight pause between each, that way if you use it at a bad time, you are done, and it takes more timing.

Hmm, I actually like this idea. If they had to nerf it, make it the same but instead of a long, 10 second lock make it 3 bursts of 3-4 seconds. Long enough to stop a sticky/protect you from fire, but short enough that if someone almost has a kill shot on you your shield can't recharge giving them the advantage still.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Its because most of HaloGaf, or at least those complaining about it, probably are too...(dont want to get banned here).. well, lets just say they aren't thinking properly.

You guys fail to realize that while in AL you can't move. Your mobility is STOPPED completely! And @Ghaleon so what if you recharge? If you didn't it would be a useless ability. Not only can't you move, but now your shields don't recharge? Your only hope in a situation like that is for a teammate to have your back otherwise any player worth crap is going to kill you. I think the problem with you guys is you want a kill so bad you just sit behind the AL guy instead of backing up and lining up your shot, or placing a grenade at his feet in tandem with your bullets.

Stop being so anxious about getting one kill. Relax.

ps. I was credit banned for two weeks lol. Why did I do it? Black Ops is coming out so I had nothing to loose.:lol While I do regret doing it now, I'll only regret it for another 4 days.

Armor lock does a lot more than just making you invulnerable while you're in it and making you immobile...

Yep, even after all this time, Armor Lock still sucks. What other ability can boast such versatility?

- shouldn't regenerate shields in Armor Lock
- shouldn't be able to spam Armor Lock -- using it should require a full use
- shouldn't be able to reject an already-landed needle combine or plasma stick with a simple AL pulse of a second
- shouldn't be able to attack instantly when coming out of AL, especially with the invincibility "de-icing"
- shouldn't be able to turn the camera to any position you want and instantly turn around in-game when you come out
- shouldn't instantly destroy vehicles, which are already underpowered and underused in Reach as it is -- tossing them aside would easily be enough

Again, even making half of those changes would even things out significantly.

As it stands, Armor Lock has completely ruined Elite Slayer. I played in a match last night where a team of 3 armor lockers rejected 15 plasma sticks. Are you kidding me?

It's an ability that basically nullifies a great play by others with the touch of a button, no skill required.

Armor Lock reminds me somewhat of the item collection structure in Mario Kart. In Mario Kart, the farther back you are, the more likely it is you will get big powerful items that will take out those ahead of you or speed you towards the front.

Likewise, Armor Lock is clearly there to help poor players stay in the game and help even the field out. But it punishes the better players for beating those players in the first place. One of the main differences is Mario Kart's items speed up the action, whereas Armor Lock only slows it down immensely.

Again, there is NOTHING else in Halo that I have ever complained about like this. I don't mind losing huge to a team that has superior players. I do mind losing to guys that pulse Armor Lock every time they "might" be in trouble with pretty much no penalty whatsoever.

Deadly Cyclone said:

Comparing it to sprint is asinine. Sure, you can sprint away from battle if you're injured. However, you can't sprint backwards -- so you have to deal with the time of turning around. You can't shoot or throw grenades during a sprint, and you have to wait a second right after the sprint before you can. Sprint doesn't take you out of a battle instantly and nullify all damage, so you can still be killed running away or by a well-thrown grenade. That cooldown adds a whole lot to when it's a good time to use sprint and when it isn't.

And that's not even talking about the OTHER things that Armor Lock can do. It's way too powerful and versatile.

Deadly Cyclone said:
I see why some might think it is a bit over powered, but I disagree because it gives just as many defensive perks to the player as the other AA's give offensive perks.

It gives as many defensive perks as offensive perks of all the other abilities combined, that's why it's a problem. Also, Armor Lock can be used offensively very well, which is also a huge problem. It's really overpowered.

I can't tell you how many times I have been playing a map with a decent amount of cover and been killing a guy only to have him sprint to cover right before I get the kill shot.

You know you can still shoot the guy while he is sprinting, right? You even get a medal for it.

Adding to the list of things, Armor Lock is the ONLY ability where you can't be killed while using it.

FourDoor

I've probably used AL less than 10x total. And I'm sure half of that was because I accidentally chose the ability on accident during the loadout screen. :lol

For the most part AL doesn't bother me except for when the user uses AL to unstick my sticky grenade! LOL

Armor lock simply makes every game I play with someone using it less fun. That's it for me. I throw a good grenade And get a guy's shields down or stick him with a plasma and he just goes into armor lock... His team mate comes along and I have to deal with him most likely losing the kills I previously 'earned'. Good team play, I guess so. But like I said it just makes the game less fun and less satisfying for me to play.

ShinAmano

Raide said:
Maybe if you get stuck and then AL, the explosion drops AL.
Maybe, but I think it is kind of a bonus life if you live after getting stuck which does seem a little over-powered...but like I said I don't really greif on the AL as much as others...its part of the game so...put on your sunglasses.

MMaRsu

I'm so glad that whenever I play Rumble Pit now it's mostly slayer and the last few games..damn I've been doing pretty great imo. Sure a few games I'm off but last few games I won straight up. Some really nice kills too :D.

I'm loving Arena Zealot right now, and still Powerhouse, boardwalk and sword base.

chess

I could care less if armor lock is overpowered or not. The problem is it completely changes halo gameplay flow and encounters. If any stay in it should only be movement ones. However, I still cannot believe we can't adjust vertical look sensitivity independent of horizontal after the addition of jetpacks. Camo should only be a power up and should be like the old one, not move and become uncloaked. All halo needed was CE to have reach online code, theater, forge. Since a classic list isn't ever going to come a friend of mine and I have adjusted some settings to make pistol 4 shot(nades and rockets become NUKES if we make it 3 shot!) and movement a tad faster to feel more like CE. We are compiling the best CE remakes and sticking to the most accurancy possible with weapons and gameplay. Once get things tweaked and test more we may potentially launch a group/clan/community for CE customs. Stay tuned.

Neverender said:
Armor lock simply makes every game I play with someone using it less fun. That's it for me. I throw a good grenade And get a guy's shields down or stick him with a plasma and he just goes into armor lock... His team mate comes along and I have to deal with him most likely losing the kills I previously 'earned'. Good team play, I guess so. But like I said it just makes the game less fun and less satisfying for me to play.

Yes, exactly. This is the gameplay altering that I speak of. It's not halo. Thankfully half the Reach population will be jumping ship to COD next week and the core Halo gameplay lovers may have more of a voice. Like someone said, at least trying a classic play list for a month would be interesting at least from a numbers comparison if anything else.

Thagomizer said:
Armor Lock conversations:

http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/2x4561402/bored_college_students_sleeping_in_lecture_hall_pe0068725.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://imgur.com/eEJpI.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing all AA being used as pickups. Really interested to see how MLG pulls it off.

Gui_PT

squidhands said:
eEJpI.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing all AA being used as pickups. Really interested to see how MLG pulls it off.

AA's as pickups would be great. I miss fighting for cammo and OS back in Halo 3.

Ramirez

Thagomizer said:
Actually, in the fiction, it should- it's an armor-piercing anti-materiel rifle. If anything, it never made sense in previous games that it didn't do shit against vehicles, as that was it's intended purpose in-universe :lol

Fiction, lol. Gameplay>everything else.

Ramirez said:
Fiction, lol. Gameplay>everything else.

I actually like it in this respect as well. You have to waste 3-4 bullets to kill a single vehicle. It's fine.

I agree with the DMR's power against vehicles, though. They should only be able to kill a light vehicle if it's already on fire and about to die, and should never, ever be able to kill a tank.

chase

GloveSlap said:

:lol :lol :lol

As someone who posted in here three times till now and one of those was to complain about Armor Lock, all I can say is: :lol :lol

Please, take this as proof of my idiocy and not that I don't take games as seriously as you. Though in your head those are probably the same thing.

jizzlobber said:
If you stick someone it has to be a kill, you deserve it
I don't even understand how armour lock can dislodge one!?
it sux

I need a video now of an amazing sticky from across the map and 5 man cannons and through 10 vehicles to stick a guy who just spawned...then he ALs and is fine.

Raide

jizzlobber said:
If you stick someone it has to be a kill, you deserve it
I don't even understand how armour lock can dislodge one!?
it sux

Tbh, unless you know you got stuck, most people don't react fast enough and still die anyway.

Raide said:
Tbh, unless you know you got stuck, most people don't react fast enough and still die anyway.

Eh, in my experience, since you can pulse Armor Lock so many times, hearing just about anything that sounds like a grenade or even somebody's sprint pant makes people go into Armor Lock :lol I see it all the time, especially in Pro, where they don't get yellow dots to tell them it's okay :lol

Bread

Banned
i'm pissed that bungie changed up slayer pro in arena, my one safe haven from AL is now gone. it was perfect before, they should have just added in more slayer dmr options so we could choose between armor abilities or just sprint.

Raide

timetokill said:
Eh, in my experience, since you can pulse Armor Lock so many times, hearing just about anything that sounds like a grenade or even somebody's sprint pant makes people go into Armor Lock :lol I see it all the time, especially in Pro, where they don't get yellow dots to tell them it's okay :lol

True. Anything that makes the squeeee sound of the grenade make my AL finger clench. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom