• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photolysis said:
Surprise surprise, the target locator is having a terrible impact on matchmaking... again.

Instead of betraying for it, players simply quit if they don't get to it first. Fun.
b-b-but they're missing out on the awesum 'no quit' payout!

MrDaravon

This may be totally old news, but one of my friends discovered a couple days ago that if you holding an empty Target Designator at the end of a Firefight Round, when the Ordinance drops at the start of the next round, it will refill the ammo in the one you're holding as well. I'm not sure if this applies to all of the ordinances or not (Rockets/Sniper/Laser), but I just carried the same Target Designator through an entire Set in Firefight getting two shots a round on it. Multiple Killionaires :lol

The guys I was playing with were going for assists so no one ever picked up the new Ordinance drops, I would guess though that this wouldn't stop a 2nd one from dropping normally though?

Willeth

SailorDaravon said:
This may be totally old news, but one of my friends discovered a couple days ago that if you holding an empty Target Designator at the end of a Firefight Round, when the Ordinance drops at the start of the next round, it will refill the ammo in the one you're holding as well. I'm not sure if this applies to all of the ordinances or not (Rockets/Sniper/Laser), but I just carried the same Target Designator through an entire Set in Firefight getting two shots a round on it. Multiple Killionaires :lol
Yeah. I believe if you're holding it, it won't drop a new one, though.

We had a dude earlier just hold it for the whole match, not die, and not use it. Like a dick.

Ramirez

Does MetalGearFlesh post here? He sent Trasher a message mid game last night saying it wan an honor playing with HaloGAF, and then Eazy sent him a message after the game saying "suck dick scrub". :lol Totally innocent...

GhaleonEB

I don't play much MP outside of customs, but my experience with armor lock is kind of summed up by a game last weekend. I'm driving on a Mongoose, and see someone step outside of a tunnel. I slow down, angle toward him for the splatter, and he goes into armor lock. My Mongoose explodes and I die. I was going about half speed, maybe 2/3 of top speed. Not very fast. I thought I'd just kind of bump into him. But I die instead. It felt cheap and arbitrary, and it removes from the game a major aspect that used to be fun.

chapel

Banned
BioHazard said:
Anyone get the 35 multikills in a single game challenge, it's tougher than I thought. Highest I got was on Gruntpocalypse was 25 :(
Easier to do in full Firefight and not score attack because there are more guys and more time.

BioHazard said:
Anyone get the 35 multikills in a single game challenge, it's tougher than I thought. Highest I got was on Gruntpocalypse was 25 :(

Got it early this morning. Try Gruntpocalypse on Corvette? Great lines of sight, perfect for rapid headshots.

Has anyone received the big Credit Jackpot on Score Attack? Just curious since that occupies a lot of my time. Haven't gotten it yet and I could use some monies. :-(

Not played online this week, how big is the non quit jackpot/payout now if you stick around? I never quit unless it's 1 v 4 or something.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't play much MP outside of customs, but my experience with armor lock is kind of summed up by a game last weekend. I'm driving on a Mongoose, and see someone step outside of a tunnel. I slow down, angle toward him for the splatter, and he goes into armor lock. My Mongoose explodes and I die. I was going about half speed, maybe 2/3 of top speed. Not very fast. I thought I'd just kind of bump into him. But I die instead. It felt cheap and arbitrary, and it removes from the game a major aspect that used to be fun.
AL against moving vehicles I find feels rather random, you either lock and the vehicle explodes stopping completely or you lock and become a big ass ramp for them to fly up and clear 100 feet before landing upside down, no idea what shape the collision box is but it must have some flat sides which cause instant stop = explode.

GhaleonEB

Diablohead said:
AL against moving vehicles I find feels rather random, you either lock and the vehicle explodes stopping completely or you lock and become a big ass ramp for them to fly up and clear 100 feet before landing upside down, no idea what shape the collision box is but it must have some flat sides which cause instant stop = explode.
Yeah. I keep thinking how there are a number of small decisions that affect the gameplay like that, where I just don't understand the reasoning. I mean, imagine if armor lock were made consistent, and the result of a vehicle ramming someone who went into armor lock was to vault over the top and go flying. It would be hilarious. The armor locker would have avoided the splatter, and probably rolled the vehicle creating the opportunity to take it out. That would very much be in the spirit of what Halo's BTB gameplay has always been about.

But instead, it's (often) just an instant win for the user. Other things like the Banshee's FRG tracking ground vehicles just suck the desire out of me to play BTB. Even with the new maps, stuff like that takes the experience down many, many notches.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah. I keep thinking how there are a number of small decisions that affect the gameplay like that, where I just don't understand the reasoning. I mean, imagine if armor lock were made consistent, and the result of a vehicle ramming someone who went into armor lock was to vault over the top and go flying. It would be hilarious. The armor locker would have avoided the splatter, and probably rolled the vehicle creating the opportunity to take it out. That would very much be in the spirit of what Halo's BTB gameplay has always been about.

But instead, it's (often) just an instant win for the user. Other things like the Banshee's FRG tracking ground vehicles just suck the desire out of me to play BTB. Even with the new maps, stuff like that takes the experience down many, many notches.
Speaking of the Banshee, nobody uses the twin plasma fire anymore; it's all FRG shots.

chess

Relix said:
Armor Lock haters.... AL FTW!!! Great counter against sword and shotgun users.

More like a crutch for bad players that can press a button while teamates that can actually aim kill people. :)

MrDaravon

1v1 Armor Lock battles are the BEST!

I love Armor Lock, but when I use it I'm usually playing with a group of people of very varying skill levels in either Multi-team or Invasion/Big Team. Also people still somehow have not figured out that if you boost or ram someone full speed who's Armor Locking, it's going to go badly for you.

Raide

chess said:
More like a crutch for bad players that can press a button while teamates that can actually aim kill people. :)

So, AL user = Bad player? :lol

I love using AL as a defensive measure. While I am not the best player in the world, AL has saved my ass loads of times and it usually ends in the demise of the person attacking me. I don't really care about getting of the top of the pile, I only care about having fun and contributing to the team. That's just me though. :D

GhaleonEB said:

In my experience, Al only insta-kills Ghosts and Banshees- Hogs and Revenants go flying exactly as how you describe here.

Also, psych-out battles with another player with AL are so much fun.

Relix said:

I only resort to AL during elite slayer. It's the only way to survive the hail of stickies being thrown. For everythign else, recon FTW.

krakov

Relix said:

Really? I find the shotgun an effective counter to armor lock. You usually don't get the warning to lock and whenever you exit you're at a big disadvantage. AL and shotgun is a pretty sweet combo though.

MrDaravon

Thagomizer said:
In my experience, Al only insta-kills Ghosts and Banshees- Hogs and Revenants go flying exactly as how you describe here.

Also, psych-out battles with another player with AL are so much fun.

I'm positive I've AL'd Revenants. I'd bet that they probably don't blow if they're at 100% health, but at some point they are weakened enough to be destroyed by a AL. I thiiiink I've AL'd Warthogs as well, but not 100% sure on that. I know usually they'll ramp off you though yeah.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the worst part of AL is that it seems to be one of the few halo things that is HUGELY affected by lag. it can often be hard to tell when they are locked down, and when they are exposed, as the shielding sometimes remains around them after they "come out" or, worse, the pop out instantly without the "coming out" animation. this is especially an issue with the guys who have AL down to a science and are able to pop in and out as necessary, making timing on my end nearly impossible.

Falagard

Ramirez said:
The vehicle sandbox is a joke in this game, but we knew that since the beta.

I think vehicles are my biggest disappointment with Reach.

I preferred them being attached to the driver's health rather than having their own damage.
I think the maps suck for vehicles.
The hog rolls over too easily so can't be driven as wildly and recklessly (which often equated to fun).
I want the Brute Chopper back.
Vehicles do too much damage to friendlies when you hit them even slightly.

While some people hate various armor abilities like Armor Lock, at least playlists can be created without Armor Lock, but the same can't be said about the vehicle problems.

I don't want to go back to playing Halo 3, because I prefer Reach in general, but it's definitely the vehicles that I think need the most tweaking in the game, and it pains me to know that Bungie has a philosophy of not doing much to fix their games after launch.

Raide said:
So, AL user = Bad player? :lol

I love using AL as a defensive measure. While I am not the best player in the world, AL has saved my ass loads of times and it usually ends in the demise of the person attacking me. I don't really care about getting of the top of the pile, I only care about having fun and contributing to the team. That's just me though. :D

Obviously not all bad players use armour lock and not all armour lock players are bad players. Like all armour abilities there are certainly bad players out there that use it though. It is a huge crutch, and allows you to live without doing much work, so im more impressed by players who do good without armour lock than those that do good with it. Dont get me wrong, the other armour abilities can be pretty cheap, armour lock is just the worst of the bunch.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
Does MetalGearFlesh post here? He sent Trasher a message mid game last night saying it wan an honor playing with HaloGAF, and then Eazy sent him a message after the game saying "suck dick scrub". :lol Totally innocent...

:lol :lol

Raide

bobs99 ... said:
Obviously not all bad players use armour lock and not all armour lock players are bad players. Like all armour abilities there are certainly bad players out there that use it. It is a huge crutch, and allows you to live without doing much work, so im more impressed by players who do good without armour lock than those that do good with it. Then again in its own right Camo is just as cheap.

Fair enough. I think I have played with AL since Beta and I love using it. It is always fun to go against a fellow AL'er. Its like playing Musical Statues but with someone usually dying at the end. :lol

I always saw AL as more of a support ability, like the Drop Shield. For stopping rampaging vehicles, protecting flags etc, AL is great fun and more useful than the other abilities. Sprint, Jetpack, Camo etc are all for those solo run and gunners, AL, Drop Shield and Hologram, seem a little more support focused.

Had 3 1500+ arena games in a row then I get dropped from a shitty connection the next game. The game after that my teammate TKs someone right off the bat, quits, then the guy who got Tkd quits.

Time for a break from Reach, i'll be back when MLG playlist is up or they take AL out of arena.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
AL is stupid, I wish it wasn't in the game and I don't like it. But there is a certain level of stupid vs good use of it, and I see a lot of people use it stupidly and much less use it well.

If you go into armor lock and just sit there while three of the other team just stare at you, not so much a good thing. If you use it to get rid of the stick that some dude ran up to you and died to get it on you for, little better. If you reflect a rocket back at the guy that shot it at you, pop out and headshot him, very good. People armor lock in front of me with sword + shotty so much and I just get an easy kill every time. For being invulnerable for those few seconds you sure are a sitting duck as soon as it runs out.

It's such a team oriented AA and it's easily the most overpowered versatile one, I wish it wasn't in at all but arena especially.

StUnNeR H2K

Falagard said:
The hog rolls over too easily so can't be driven as wildly and recklessly (which often equated to fun).

I think this has to be my biggest complaint with Reach. None of the vehicles feel right, and especially the hog since it feels so 'floaty' when you drive it.

StUnNeR H2K said:
I think this has to be my biggest complaint with Reach. None of the vehicles feel right, and especially the hog since it feels so 'floaty' when you drive it.
The only vehicle I'm really enjoying in Reach is the Sabre. Everything else is pretty meh at best, which is a real shame.

edit: ^^posted yesterday.

ShinAmano

Got my first Gold commendation! 'Dome Inspector'

Not very close on anything else...

Also wanted to say that I am among those disappointed in the Reach vehicles.

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm glad the way vehicles ended up in Reach. Kind of got tired of being shredded over and over within 2 seconds every time I spawned out in the open on Stand off. Shit got old fast. The vehicles in Halo 3 were overpowered... Really overpowered. They were nearly indestructible death machines. It really soured the gameplay. If the vehicle gameplay in Reach was more along the lines of what was in Halo 2 that would be alright, but that's not the way they did it. For what it's worth while AL is kind of a problem I think that the vehicles do have the advantage now of being deadly just by touch. You can now slightly bump into someone at the slowest possible speed and blow off their shield. It's ridiculous and makes boarding vehicles a risk.

AL isn't a problem in large team games but it's unbearable in Multi Team. They seriously should at the very least pull it out of that playlist. The second someone goes into armor lock you could ignore them but then leave yourself vulnerable to attack from them, but if you keep your distance waiting for them to get out then you're vulnerable to attack from the other teams constantly spawning from all over the place. It's way too hectic on that playlist for that shit, and it's easily the most used armor tool in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom