• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
GhaleonEB said:
I think it really damages the game as is.

Ghaleon has it exactly right. Armor Lock is just too versatile. It grants you invulnerability for as long as you choose, there's no delay in between releasing it and being able to melee, shoot, throw a grenade, or go back into armor lock, your shields recharge, it knocks shields down, it destroys vehicles, it gets you out of being stuck by plasma grenades, etc etc etc. While the other armor abilities are fairly straight forward. Armor Lock should make you invulnerable, and I'm even fine with players controlling how long to hold it and release...The point of it should be, become invulnerable, and hope a teammate comes and bails me out. That's it. No using it when you get stuck to escape death, no using it when someone closes in on you when they have sword or shotgun to quickly release and knock down their shield then quickly melee while the Sword is on a delay timer and the shotgun ejects the shell so the other player can't fire again. I could list a million scenarios where armor lock gives you the unfair advantage. I don't fault players for using it "smartly". But I do fault it for being overpowered and for giving birth to many many cheap tactics that are hurting Reach's community and multiplayer overall.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Its because most of HaloGaf, or at least those complaining about it, probably are too...(dont want to get banned here).. well, lets just say they aren't thinking properly.

You guys fail to realize that while in AL you can't move. Your mobility is STOPPED completely! And @Ghaleon so what if you recharge? If you didn't it would be a useless ability. Not only can't you move, but now your shields don't recharge? Your only hope in a situation like that is for a teammate to have your back otherwise any player worth crap is going to kill you. I think the problem with you guys is you want a kill so bad you just sit behind the AL guy instead of backing up and lining up your shot, or placing a grenade at his feet in tandem with your bullets.

Stop being so anxious about getting one kill. Relax.

ps. I was credit banned for two weeks lol. Why did I do it? Black Ops is coming out so I had nothing to loose.:lol While I do regret doing it now, I'll only regret it for another 4 days.

I could destroy armour lock users all day and still find the ability slows down gameplay to a crawl, dont make the mistake of thinking that people that complain must suck.

To an extent, I think the long kill times are more to blame for my frustrations than armour lock is, its pretty annoying to put 4 shots into someone only to seem them armour lock, win or lose that battle after hes finished sitting there I feel cheated.

Dax01 said:
The only time I find armor lock annoying, and when it really breaks the game, is in Elite Slayer. Other than that, I think it's fine as is.

You're right that it is much worse in Elite Slayer. Which in certain play lists like Multi-Team, you play almost every game.

ToyMachine228 said:
You're right that it is much worse in Elite Slayer. Which in certain play lists like Multi-Team, you play almost every game.
I don't mind AL because, 80% of the time, you can just sit back and wait and still get the kill. At least that's been my experience.

Dax01 said:
I don't mind AL because, 80% of the time, you can just sit back and wait and still get the kill. At least that's been my experience.

I agree with this, but doing that can damage the flow of the game, waiting for someone to pop out of it.

I know there was complaints about it, but how it affects vehicles is probably my favorite thing about it.

neoism

Dax01 said:
The only time I find armor lock annoying, and when it really breaks the game, is in Elite Slayer. Other than that, I think it's fine as is.
I agree but they really just need to make you spawn with only 1 plas:lol :lol

Sprint, evade, or jetpack are fine for me, I hate everything else. AL is just not balanced at all, people with invis AA + power weapon = "hey, I can just camp here, sweet!!!!" :/ and bubble shield isn't too bad but it sucks when the whole team of elites in invasion uses it one after another to protect there core, yeah really dumb. I would rather have AL, bubble shield, and invis as pickups, you need to earn them, not start out with them and use them as a crutch. You can throw jetpack in there as a pick up, but I don't mind it at all actually as it is used more for movement.

Insaniac

yes please fix the floaty feel of the hog and goose, I used to love being the driver in halo 3, had over 2000 wheelmans, but now I barely even touch the hog, partly cause its so easy to flip over, partly because concentrated fire just wipes you out instantly, and partly because every fucking BTB map has a fucking TANK or revenant

CrazedArabMan said:
Sprint, evade, or jetpack are fine for me, I hate everything else. AL is just not balanced at all, people with invis AA + power weapon = "hey, I can just camp here, sweet!!!!" :/ and bubble shield isn't too bad but it sucks when the whole team of elites in invasion uses it one after another to protect there core, yeah really dumb. I would rather have AL, bubble shield, and invis as pickups, you need to earn them, not start out with them and use them as a crutch. You can throw jetpack in there as a pick up, but I don't mind it at all actually as it is used more for movement.

I'd just like to say as an avid forger, i HATE the jetpack. Now i have to worry about marking off certain areas of the map people normally wouldn't get to, just because of jetpack abusers.

Insaniac said:
yes please fix the floaty feel of the hog and goose, I used to love being the driver in halo 3, had over 2000 wheelmans, but now I barely even touch the hog, partly cause its so easy to flip over, partly because concentrated fire just wipes you out instantly, and partly because every fucking BTB map has a fucking TANK or revenant

I'd just like to say as an avid forger, i HATE the jetpack. Now i have to worry about marking off certain areas of the map people normally wouldn't get to, just because of jetpack abusers.

Yeah for forge I can see why, I only ever use sprint or evade for myself though. I would love a classic style playlist that includes slayer, objective, and even like a squad battle. Would make me actually want to play MP in this game again, well maybe better maps also.

Retro

Insaniac said:

I agree. I'd love to have a giant 'invisible wall' object to limit vertical movement.

Or really, just get rid of the item limit. It's retarded to have to build walls out of rocks or inclines because you've run out of proper walls, but still have a huge amount of budget left.

chess

CrazedArabMan said:
Yeah for forge I can see why, I only ever use sprint or evade for myself though. I would love a classic style playlist that includes slayer, objective, and even like a squad battle. Would make me actually want to play MP in this game again, well maybe better maps also.

yes, and for someone that could care less about cR, there is rarely a feeling of reward playing Reach. :( I never thought a customs search was ever needed until now.

Striker

Insaniac said:
The Mongoose in 3 was helluva lot more floaty than it is in Reach. It actually has a sense of suspension and weight to it than it ever did for 3.

The Warthog, I already said my peace with - however, I liked it far more than 3 just for the speed alone. The e-brake does wonders for taking turns and tight corners.

For those complaining heavily about AL slowing down gameplay, did you say that same thing about the bubble shield and regen in Halo 3?

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't understand the jetpack complaints. It totally makes you an easy target and the only map where it gets people at an advantageous spot is on Powerhouse. Think about it. Boardwalk? No. Reflection? No. Boneyard? No. Spire? No. I could go on.

Veelk

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
It should be simple, just as all the others are: when locked, you take no damage, end of story. You don't destroy vehicles for going into it, don't damage people who smack you, can't regain health while in it, etc. Keep it simple, and it would STILL be a useful and versatile ability.

With the exception of not destroying vehicles (that is just way too much fun), I think this would be the best solution.

Bread

Banned
Kuroyume said:
I don't understand the jetpack complaints. It totally makes you an easy target and the only map where it gets people at an advantageous spot is on Powerhouse. Think about it. Boardwalk? Yes. Reflection? No. Boneyard? No. Spire? No. I could go on.
Boardwalk has some places to jetpack to behind the top sniper base, I've had snipers sit up in openings in the buildings back there. Also, Pinnacle, Asylum, and The Cage have huge advantages for places only jet packs can reach.

chess said:
yes, and for someone that could care less about cR, there is rarely a feeling of reward playing Reach. :( I never thought a customs search was ever needed until now.

Truthfully, a custom search would not help me at all, I just don't find Reach that much fun when playing MP anymore at all, this is coming from someone who loves the series to death and couldn't stop play Halo 1, 2, and 3 against people. I don't think it is Halo fatigue either as I enjoy campaign and FF still, but MP just to me, put simply, I think it sucks compared to past Halos. Gameplay it's just not as enjoyable, maybe new maps would help, but idk.

Striker said:
For those complaining heavily about AL slowing down gameplay, did you say that same thing about the bubble shield and regen in Halo 3?

Problem with this is that you actually had to pick those up and earn them, not start with them. They did slow down gameplay a bit, but it still I think was much better than AL.

Striker said:
The Mongoose in 3 was helluva lot more floaty than it is in Reach. It actually has a sense of suspension and weight to it than it ever did for 3.

The Warthog, I already said my peace with - however, I liked it far more than 3 just for the speed alone. The e-brake does wonders for taking turns and tight corners.

Actually I did, but this was much less annoying because these things dont spawn for 3 minuites and are 1 use for 1 player only, at most 2 spawned on a map and that was rare. Armour lock can be used by pretty much every player in the game twice a minuite the entire match.

I think I know which one annoys me more. :lol

CrazedArabMan said:
Truthfully, a custom search would not help me at all, I just don't find Reach that much fun when playing MP anymore at all, this is coming from someone who loves the series to death and couldn't stop play Halo 1, 2, and 3 against people. I don't think it is Halo fatigue either as I enjoy campaign and FF still, but MP just to me, put simply, I think it sucks compared to past Halos. Gameplay it's just not as enjoyable, maybe new maps would help, but idk.

Problem with this is that you actually had to pick those up and earn them, not start with them. They did slow down gameplay a bit, but it still I think was much better than AL.

Its not, Reach is very different to older Halo - I can play Halo 3 for hours on end (and have today) but Reach annoys me within a handful of games. That said im sure there are people who would say the opposite.

GhaleonEB

Amazin86er said:
Is there somewhere on Bungie.net that shows a "Global" leaderboard for Score Attack or are there only friend's list leaderboards?
I believe it's friends list only, though I'd like to see how I stack up against the community as a whole. But I think they kept it to friends lists strike a balance between competition and motivation for hax of some sort.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Dax01 said:
I can understand how some people have a problem with it disrupting the flow of the game, but for me I'm pretty "eh" on that.

The only thing that bothers me about AL is the EMP shield removal. There's a big griefing process that goes on in Multi-Team where if someone sees you ALing, they'll come up to you and AL right next to you because they know that as soon as you exit AL, they will too and thus remove your shields.

I think the EMP "blast" of AL should simply push people back, not remove their shields.

MrBig

Domino Theory said:
The only thing that bothers me about AL is the EMP shield removal. There's a big griefing process that goes on in Multi-Team where if someone sees you ALing, they'll come up to you and AL right next to you because they know that as soon as you exit AL, they will too and thus remove your shields.

I think the EMP "blast" of AL should simply push people back, not remove their shields.
I have never once lost my shields to armor lock. Don't stand as close as you possibly can to them while you wait.
Time a grenade and one shot.

Those of you who switched control schemes after using one for a while, how long did it take to adjust? I've been trying to use Bumper Jumper for the last few days, but I'm still just as clumsy and inept now as the first time I switched : /

Thagomizer said:
Those of you who switched control schemes after using one for a while, how long did it take to adjust? I've been trying to use Bumper Jumper for the last few days, but I'm still just as clumsy and inept now as the first time I switched : /

When I switched to BJ it took me like a week to get used to it but I wasn't playing very much.

Thagomizer said:

Rewiring of the buttons and your hand coordination should probably take no more than 1 hour. I guess if you switched to something more complicated like inverted it could take longer...Do it in campaign where you can make mistakes cause the AI is bad would be my suggestion.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what is the button for AA with bumper jumper? i actually switched from using that in H3 to default during the reach beta, but i'd like to switch back if its feasable without impacting my sprint

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Isn't A the button for AA in Reach for Bumper Jumper? Fucking horrendous. First day of Reach I switched back to default from using Bumper Jumper in H3 and ODST. Took me like a day to get used to then it was all good.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
Isn't A the button for AA in Reach for Bumper Jumper? Fucking horrendous. First day of Reach I switched back to default from using Bumper Jumper in H3 and ODST. Took me like a day to get used to then it was all good.

X

enzo_gt said:

X is AA

A is switch grenades

I know because I just got my ass beat not 10 seconds ago because I kept jumping when I wanted to use an AA and uselessly sprinting when I wanted to melee :/

Sibylus

Banned
I like what Armor Lock adds to the game in the form of escalation, not so much in its incessant popping and slowing the game to the consistency of porridge. When you AL to shatter a boosting Ghost, or shake a plasma grenade, that's a valid use of the ability that requires good timing and situational awareness.

Removing it altogether or crippling it in the ways previously discussed would lose these interesting scenarios altogether. Any changes made to it ought to try to preserve the moments where AL makes the game fundamentally more interesting.

Thoughts on how to preserve that escalation and make the ability more situational:

- Reduce the amount of invincibility frames after exiting lock (emphasize split-second timing, as opposed to buying time).

- AL can still be aborted, but doing so will deplete the entire charge (thus limits it to 1 use per charge, and encourages players to save their charge for the most urgent of situations).

- AL can be depleted by outside influence. If you smash a vehicle, the lock depletes. If you survive a stick, the lock depletes. If you survive two grenade detonations nearby (or some other amount), the lock depletes. The ability becomes conditional invincibility, as opposed to absolute invincibility.

I think AL would still be a really good armor ability with these changes made (I would certainly still make use of it), but it wouldn't be nearly as detrimental to the movement of combat.

If it needs to be 'fixed', and I don't think it does, the most obvious thing would be to have it lock for a set time. Once you armour lock, that's it. You're stuck there until it times out, and you can't ice in and out at will.

Dug

Banned
Wish Bungie would've kept in the thing saying how many rounds of the gametype there is and which round you are in. :\ (EX: Round 2 of 4)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Buckethead said:
A double kill is a multi-kill right?
Yes.
Dug said:
Wish Bungie would've kept in the thing saying how many rounds of the gametype there is and which round you are in. :\ (EX: Round 2 of 4)
A progress bar on the score would also have been nice.

I know there's two vocal crowds when it comes to armor lock and the people saying it doesn't need to be addressed need to realize something. If there's so many god damn people saying it needs to be fixed, and it's overpowered and it's hurting their experience...That means it needs to be addressed.

The second question is, can it even be fixed? Unless you just change the loadouts in certain modes to not feature a loadout with armor lock, the only way to address it to my knowledge would be through the game's code and patching. Does Bungie have the ability to go in and change such an essential part of the game? I don't know personally. Not my expertise.

ToyMachine228 said:
I know there's two vocal crowds when it comes to armor lock and the people saying it doesn't need to be addressed need to realize something. If there's so many god damn people saying it needs to be fixed, and it's overpowered and it's hurting their experience...That means it needs to be addressed.

The second question is, can it even be fixed? Unless you just change the loadouts in certain modes to not feature a loadout with armor lock, the only way to address it to my knowledge would be through the game's code and patching. Does Bungie have the ability to go in and change such an essential part of the game? I don't know personally. Not my expertise.

Of course they do, games are patched all the time :lol

Armor lock just needs a delay between firing and meeleing. It's ridiculous that you can block a sword strike, exit it and melee, lock again to block another sword strike and then finish the enemy off.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dark FaZe said:
Armor lock just needs a delay between firing and meeleing. It's ridiculous that you can block a sword strike, exit it and melee, lock again to block another sword strike and then finish the enemy off.
Perfect Sword counter :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom