• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thagomizer said:
Of course they do, games are patched all the time :lol

No shit that they are patched all the time, but certain things are not moving parts. They are integral parts of the game. Part of the engine. I'm not saying the armor abilities are, I'm just saying it in general. There's certain things developers don't mess with.

Lothars

ToyMachine228 said:
I know there's two vocal crowds when it comes to armor lock and the people saying it doesn't need to be addressed need to realize something. If there's so many god damn people saying it needs to be fixed, and it's overpowered and it's hurting their experience...That means it needs to be addressed.

I disagree I don't think it's that many people saying it needs to be fixed, it seems like it's a fairly loud minority, There are always things that can be improved and maybe there is something bungie can do to appease both groups with armor lock.

ToyMachine228 said:
No shit that they are patched all the time, but certain things are not moving parts. They are integral parts of the game. Part of the engine. I'm not saying the armor abilities are, I'm just saying it in general. There's certain things developers don't mess with.

I very much doubt that the Armor Lock's properties are integral to the functioning of the game to the point that changing them is effectively unfeasible. If anything, they are probably more like the weapon properties, which are rather easy to tweak in comparison.

Lothars said:
I disagree I don't think it's that many people saying it needs to be fixed, it seems like it's a fairly loud minority, There are always things that can be improved and maybe there is something bungie can do to appease both groups with armor lock.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but all I know is literally every person I know from school, work, etc and plays Reach hates armor lock because they think it's "cheap". And every time I come in this thread to post something completely unrelated there's an armor lock discussion going on. I don't think it's a minority, I think it's about half and half. And half of the people who think it's "fine" probably use it themselves.

Thagomizer said:
I very much doubt that the Armor Lock's properties are integral to the functioning of the game to the point that changing them is effectively unfeasible. If anything, they are probably more like the weapon properties, which are rather easy to tweak in comparison.

Yet Bungie has never to my knowledge tweaked any weapon in any Halo game after release. I could be wrong on that but nothing comes to mind.

I'm already rather tired of this game. I find myself having to defend more against cheap antics than someone who can fire off a decent headshot. And sometimes there really is no defense against stupid crap that is more effective than firing a gun.

GhaleonEB

I really liked the Killagruntjaro! Challenge. It made me play the game just a bit differently and had a nice little meta-game feel to it. I had to hold back on a lot of shots to avoid single kills and work to line up pairs of Grunts. Ended with 39 multi-kills, 36 of them doubles. Got a Commendation notched for it, so that one game paid out 7,004 cR. I'll take it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
I'm already rather tired of this game. I find myself having to defend more against cheap antics than someone who can fire off a decent headshot. And sometimes there really is no defense against stupid crap that is more effective than firing a gun.
Wait for the MLG playlist, I know how you feel.
unless mlg v2 is more fucked up than I thought it was lol

Oozer3993

ToyMachine228 said:
Yet Bungie has never to my knowledge tweaked any weapon in any Halo game after release. I could be wrong on that but nothing comes to mind.

Halo 2, the magnum's damage was tweaked with the 1.1 patch.

Lothars

GhaleonEB said:
I really liked the Killagruntjaro! Challenge. It made me play the game just a bit differently and had a nice little meta-game feel to it. I had to hold back on a lot of shots to avoid single kills and work to line up pairs of Grunts. Ended with 39 multi-kills, 36 of them doubles. Got a Commendation notched for it, so that one game paid out 7,004 cR. I'll take it.

That's awesome, yeah I really like challenges like it as well, I would like them to do more like it.

MrDaravon

ToyMachine228 said:
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but all I know is literally every person I know from school, work, etc and plays Reach hates armor lock because they think it's "cheap". And every time I come in this thread to post something completely unrelated there's an armor lock discussion going on. I don't think it's a minority, I think it's about half and half. And half of the people who think it's "fine" probably use it themselves.

Literally the only people I ever see or hear bitching about AL are on online forums. People I know in real life who play were confused when I asked them about it. I honestly don't think the vast majority of people have that strong of an opinion of it either way. I also don't get the "cheap" complaints; the vast majority of the time in a confrontation if my opponent AL's, I still kill them anyway. And the times that I don't probably correspond with the % of the time I'm able to save my ass when I AL. Outside of Multi-team, a reallllly tight 4-player group in TS, or AL to take out a boosting vehicle in a big map, people AL'ing are basically a joke and I will still kill them almost all of the time. There's a place for it, just like everything else, but I really don't think it breaks anything.

I don't really feel it's much different then rounding a corner and getting one-shotted with a Shotgun or Sword, or me not getting a kill because someone Sprints around a corner, I'm not sure why some people seem to have such problems with it. If you want to argue it as a gameflow thing or it being in Arena then sure I could see that, but you'd have to consider taking Sprint out in that scenario as well, as it "breaks" the game in the opposite direction that AL does.

If it were up to me all armor abilities would be out of arena. They just add too much of an "OOPS I DONE FUCKED UP" escape mechanism, when really people should be dying for said mistakes.

Also I don't think Arena should be about who can utilize AA's better, it should be about who headshots better and plays a smart game. My biggest issue with AA's is my DMR battles are so few and far between when those enter the equation.

I think it would be hilarious if plasma grenades still stuck, but explode the instant the AL user comes out. Mostly just for Elite Slayer to see a guy get literally coated with plasmas and get vaporized as soon as the charge runs out :lol

Don't forget about Halo 3's first patch with the melee system, I feel AA might be the big thing for Reach's first update, though we haven't heard anything yet on any type of patch, which the game needs.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup, definitely had fun with this one tonight. It was a challenge for me, but I had a good run in my 2nd game in polished it off. 31 doubles, 7 triples, and 3 overkills on Courtyard. Good times.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just make Armor Lock last less and make the recharge time longer to satisfy the bitching.

Making it last less is a good idea.

After all, the thing works best when used in short burst to avoid a melee/granade and counter immediately, stealing an opponent's time.

When it is used (like I do sometimes xD) for as long as it can last, it just slows down the game and ultimately (at least quite often) gets you killed, although there are instances where good teamwork and a permanently locked player could result in great damage to the other team.

I like every armor ability as it is, though. I don't think there is one of them that is overpowered or game-breaking.

I have more issues with map design and spawn desing. Most of the spawns for Forge-created maps are downright broken.

Especially in games like swat (which I'm finding quite fun now, even though I still believe it's crap compared to standard Halo).

GhaleonEB

I waded into regular Firefight matchmaking for the first time in a long while. I was hoping for a regular game, but got Rocketfight, which was quite a hoot. Being able to feel the skull progression was nice. I didn't last more than a few moments in the Bonus Round, though. Holy Elites, Batman!

Demolished my team mates' scores, notched a Commendation, knocked off another Challenge. It was over a 10k cR day for me too. Got promoted, to boot. :D

(Which means I could go on a shopping spree...I bought a 25k cR shoulder pad, woo!)

So I pretty much finalized Crossroads tonight. I spent two days doing a major rebuild of the bases, which really improved them and saved me about $1,000 in budget, then spent two days distributing that budget across the map. Edges are hermetically sealed now, there's a few new routes for infantry, and I had some to spare for some decorative elements to boot. Hope it doesn't slow down. Some spawn tweaking and cruising around making sure everything is symmetrical down to the tenth of a click, and I think it's finally good to go.

Sibylus

Banned
Sue me if you disagree, but I think Spire is awesome in BTB. So many areas of contention, so many different ways to play around the map. I especially love to go Airborne and hold out on the Spire's roof. Quite fun when you have a teammate or two (also with jetpacks) up there with you.

Can result in amusing stuff like this: Clipped Wings (if anyone has spare minutes to render it, that'd be grand :D )

I also quite like Elite Slayer on Hemorrhage. Every loadout spawns with a plasma pistol, and abilities like Evade and Armor Lock are fairly plentiful, so the vehicles don't seem to be too dominant. Makes it all the more rewarding when you manage to sneak up on someone with a Ghost and feed them to your bumper.

GhaleonEB said:
Took me 4 games of Gruntpocalypse to finally pull this off, I was pissed as hell :lol

Though that's more or less my fault, I came within a few multikills every single attempt. Had to force myself not to pick off too many single Grunts and wait for bunches.

Challenges:

Shootin' and Lootin' - 2500cR
Kill 250 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Mostly at Night - 1250cR
Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying.

Suit Up! - 777cR
Customize your Spartan's armor in the Armory.

Gui_PT

Shootin' and Lootin' - 2500cR

Kill 250 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

More than a Handful - 1250cR

Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Mostly at Night - 1250cR

Complete Nightfall on Legendary without dying.

Suit Up! - 777cR

Customize your Spartan's armor in the Armory. :lol :lol

Edit: You bastard!

suit-up.gif

Gotta do that challenge with a name like that.

GhaleonEB said:
I waded into regular Firefight matchmaking for the first time in a long while. I was hoping for a regular game, but got Rocketfight, which was quite a hoot. Being able to feel the skull progression was nice. I didn't last more than a few moments in the Bonus Round, though. Holy Elites, Batman!

Demolished my team mates' scores, notched a Commendation, knocked off another Challenge. It was over a 10k cR day for me too. Got promoted, to boot. :D

(Which means I could go on a shopping spree...I bought a 25k cR shoulder pad, woo!)

So I pretty much finalized Crossroads tonight. I spent two days doing a major rebuild of the bases, which really improved them and saved me about $1,000 in budget, then spent two days distributing that budget across the map. Edges are hermetically sealed now, there's a few new routes for infantry, and I had some to spare for some decorative elements to boot. Hope it doesn't slow down. Some spawn tweaking and cruising around making sure everything is symmetrical down to the tenth of a click, and I think it's finally good to go.
I played a game of regular FF with some friends last night, and it was one of the most fun times I've ever had playing Reach so far. I picked up two achievements and finished up the last two challenges for the day, woohoo! If anyone ever want to play some regular FF, feel free to hit me up any time.

voltron

Question for urk:

Do you know of any plans for Covenant weapon variants of Fire Fight / Score Attack match making?

The changes to sniper attack that disable the ability to pick up any weapon really highlighted to me how fun it was to run around with infinite Needle Rifle / FR Cannon / Needler / whatever....

Im not talking about actual infinite ammo modes like Sniper Attack, but just a game variant within the actual FF/SA playlist where you start with Covie weapons and can run back to an ammo cache to refill ammo like you do in regular games of Score Attack now.

Oh and ManCannon... loving some of the new challenges that weve been seeing lately. Not the super easy stuff intended to lure casual players into completing a few challenges... but stuff like getting 35 multikills in FF Match Making. Not outrageously challenging but still difficult enough that it cant be done with an iphone in one hand, a scotch in the other and a taco resting on a plate on your chest.

Fun! Keep the creative challenges coming!

and no more fucking "10 kills while jet-packing on Exodus you asshole!!!

Hopefully Lars will have something to say on what's in store for the Firefight playlist in the future.

I love Score Attack because I can go in by myself, play the map/gametype I want, and go at my own pace. The only downside is the relatively limited gameplay choices, and the lack of randomisation to allow fair competitions.

Perhaps one way to get around this is to only have certain gametypes that allow for high scores (e.g. Sniper Attack, Score Attack, Mythic Attack), whilst putting a few different gametypes in there that last for longer and/or have more randomisation.

I'd also like to see a melee weapons only variant in Score Attack / Firefight MM.

Hopefully we can have some Firefight DLC too. I'm sure at the very least Bungie could remake a few ODST maps, though I'd love to have some maps from the other Halo games. (Firefight on the Silent Cartographer beach? Yes please!).

Willeth

Suit Up doesn't seem to stick for me. I've loaded it up and completed it four times now, and when I turn off and reload it's not completed and I don't have the credits.

aesop

ToyMachine228 said:
"Literally every person" you know could be two people. Combine that with the 10 to 15 people on here who constantly bitch and moan about AL and you have an extremely small amount of people relative to the Halo player base. If everyone who posted in the threads here and on Bnet hated it, you'd still only have around 2000 (I think I'm being generous here, just guessing) people which is less than 1% of the people who play Reach each day, depending on the day. Everyone I know has no problem with AL. Anecdotal evidence for the lulz, right?

For all the reformed WoW players out there… Pally bubble bitching all over again.

aesop said:
"Literally every person" you know could be two people. Combine that with the 10 to 15 people on here who constantly bitch and moan about AL and you have an extremely small amount of people relative to the Halo player base. If everyone who posted in the threads here and on Bnet hated it, you'd still only have around 2000 (I think I'm being generous here, just guessing) people which is less than 1% of the people who play Reach each day, depending on the day. Everyone I know has no problem with AL. Anecdotal evidence for the lulz, right?

For all the reformed WoW players out there… Pally bubble bitching all over again.

lol. If only everyone cared enough to post about it on a forum.

Gui_PT

Willeth said:
Suit Up doesn't seem to stick for me. I've loaded it up and completed it four times now, and when I turn off and reload it's not completed and I don't have the credits.

Same. Just got the Challenge Completed warning and now it's reset.

aesop

cuevas said:
lol. If only everyone cared enough to post about it on a forum.
Yeah, I know. I was just using the vocal minority to make a point that the amount of people complaining about it is nowhere near 50% of the population. That doesn't mean I think only 1% of the players hate it, but you can't really get accurate numbers on that type of stuff without polling.

feel

I'd like for the holograms to be able to be launched on every lift and mancannon, and not just some. And to be able to deploy a crouched hologram if I'm crouching.

Trasher

voltron said:
Oh and ManCannon... loving some of the new challenges that weve been seeing lately. Not the super easy stuff intended to lure casual players into completing a few challenges... but stuff like getting 35 multikills in FF Match Making. Not outrageously challenging but still difficult enough that it cant be done with an iphone in one hand, a scotch in the other and a taco resting on a plate on your chest.

Fun! Keep the creative challenges coming!

and no more fucking "10 kills while jet-packing on Exodus you asshole!!!
Brian is a nice guy and all, but LUKE made all the challenges you fool!

voltron

Photolysis said:
Hopefully Lars will have something to say on what's in store for the Firefight playlist in the future.

I love Score Attack because I can go in by myself, play the map/gametype I want, and go at my own pace. The only downside is the relatively limited gameplay choices, and the lack of randomisation to allow fair competitions.

Perhaps one way to get around this is to only have certain gametypes that allow for high scores (e.g. Sniper Attack, Score Attack, Mythic Attack), whilst putting a few different gametypes in there that last for longer and/or have more randomisation.

I'd also like to see a melee weapons only variant in Score Attack / Firefight MM.

Hopefully we can have some Firefight DLC too. I'm sure at the very least Bungie could remake a few ODST maps, though I'd love to have some maps from the other Halo games. (Firefight on the Silent Cartographer beach? Yes please!).

Yep. Love Score Attack.

I love coming home from work around 8-9pm, throwing on a podcast, pouring out a couple of Johnnie Blacks... and playing some Score Attack for a few hours. When theres daily's that require shit to be completed in Fire Fight MM it just sweetens the deal, but even if there isnt I can usually get a minimum of 1000CR every round.

Usually play Gruntpocalypse or Sniper Attack and focus on 1 or 2 of the service record commendations. I have 4 Onyx commendations in FF.

Obviously before when it was possible to pick up Covenant weapons in Sniper Attack it was shit loads easier to make progress in the stuff like the heavy weapon (infinite FR Cannon) commendation (and others).

I just think it would be cool to have a Score Attack playlist (or game variant) where you play an Elite and have the corresponding Covenant weapons for the same game types. Would love to have the Needler from the start with an unlimited ammo cache to use for the automatic weapon commendation rather than the AR.

My ideal solution would be an alternate playlist in the 'Cooperative' section of MM. The list would be:

Fire Fight
Campaign Coop
Spartan Score Attack
Elite Score Attack

Would have a shit load of variety to the SA mode and just generally be a lot of fun. If I was to hazard a guess I would say that there are quite a few people who play Score Attack on a regular basis, and I think the addition of a Covenant SA mode would be extremely well received.

voltron

Trasher said:
Brian is a nice guy and all, but LUKE made all the challenges you fool!

Yeah I know Luke is the dude on that stuff... but I read a post a couple weeks back where someone told someone else that 'ManCannon' is Luke Smith.

Thats not the case?

I know Luke had LukeSmith as GAF handle for years... but after reading that post I figured maybe he changed it.

I havent been keeping up with HaloGAF as much as I used to.

But anyway, yeah, the compliments were at aimed at you Luke. Props!

Brian, well... ahh, any chance of a new podcast soon? A post-Reach after glow "how are awesome are we so awesome" podcast session would be rad.

And then at the end you can drop a hint at what your next game is. Dont worry Im sure fuck-all people listen to the podcast, and we wont tell anyone. Swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom