• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I didn't get my Carnage Report email. Guess I'll check my settings on Bungie.net and see what's up.

In strange, quasi-related news - I did receive an email form MS with a free avatar helmet code this afternoon. Not sure why that arrived today.

Striker said:
What playlists did you have in mind?

The only one I see worth bringing in is something involving the community maps. Otherwise its rather pointless. There's already an abundance of selections now.

Griffball, Rocket Race, Swords/hammers, team fiesta, actionsack...they can do a bunch of different fun things honestly.

Finally got my Mark VI, and thought I'd snap a few screenshots.

2zso3ti.jpg

2zi0hth.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my Spartan now. I just need to decide on whether I use the Shotgun bandolier for the wrist, or the datapad.

ohvgo9.jpg

MrBig

Demoncarnotaur said:
Wow, Mark VI looks pretty freaking awesome, not going to lie.
It's the gold visor :D

Only downside to the visor colors in reach is that they had to go back to smaller, generic cubemaps instead of one big gold one that actually showed the map.

feel

No carnage report for me. I go to the Bnet options and click for it to resend the "verify email" and it doesn't arrive either, yes, I've checked the spam folder. :(

MKVI looks great. And what chest piece is that? Seems smooth looking. I'm at Commander and almost every chest piece at my disposal has a shitload of grenades, or pouches, or shotgun cartridges.. I hate them. Only like the odst one because it gives the appearance of a single smooth piece of armor without many intricacies or nooks.

Mr. Sam

Mark VI does look pretty purdy, but I was always more a fan of Mark V. Kickin' it old school. Course, I'm rocking JFO myself.

MrBig

Letters said:
No carnage report for me. I go to the Bnet options and click for it to resend the "verify email" and it doesn't arrive either, yes, I've checked the spam folder. :(

MKVI looks great. And what chest piece is that? Seems smooth looking. I'm at Commander and almost every chest piece at my disposal has a shitload of grenades, or pouches, or shotgun cartridges.. I hate them. Only like the odst one because it gives the appearance of a single smooth piece of armor without many intricacies or nooks.
It's at the top of the list, I think its even unlockable by default. My favorite chest.

Letters said:

Chest is UA/Counterassault. Gets unlocked pretty early on if I recall right.

ElRenoRaven

ZayneH said:
Yeah, I wasn't. Either because I'm sucking due to not playing Matchmaking for about two weeks, or because of something happening that seemed random to me.

header.jpg

Carnage makes me happy happy too. :D

WTF!! I'm signed up and didn't get it.

The regular Recon helmet can be brought for 100K, and requires Colonel (I think).

You can also get a grenade belt off Waypoint, but it's different to the pre-order one.

aesop

Bah, didn't get a Carnage Report email either. I signed up for it when we were made aware of it. Must be growing pains.

Edit: But I did finally get the Noble 6 avatar helmet from the XBL deal they had going like 2-3 months ago.

Photolysis said:
The regular Recon helmet can be brought for 100K, and requires Colonel (I think).

You can also get a grenade belt off Waypoint, but it's different to the pre-order one.

I hate that grenade belt. I wish UA/Base Security [W] was offered WITHOUT it. :(

EDIT: I do not understand magnums at long range. Whenever I play SWAT Magnums, I can be standing still, shooting at someone really slow, and hit them maybe twice before they turn and shoot me in the head first shot. Is there some magic trick to magnums that I don't know about?

zumphry

Banned
Ajemsuhgao said:
I hate that grenade belt. I wish UA/Base Security [W] was offered WITHOUT it. :(

I think I've gotten used to it (but I still agree). Think it reminds me of the Halo 1 pouches in a way.

Though, more grenades when you're a super soldier isn't a bad thing (well, except the inability to use them).

Kuroyume

Banned
Elite Slayer is getting pretty fucking old

Nearly every game of Multi team

I used to like it seeing it as a nice change of pace from Spartan slayer... Now, I absolutely hate it. Didn't expect to play it every game.

Striker

Kuroyume said:
Elite Slayer is getting pretty fucking old

Nearly every game of Multi team

I used to like it seeing it as a nice change of pace from Spartan slayer... Now, I absolutely hate it. Didn't expect to play it every game.
The problem is Multi-team.

12 players is a little much, especially for smaller maps like Zealot. The games should be focused on larger maps, and with variants in said maps. Otherwise, it's just a clusterfuck.

MrDaravon

Since the Jackpot thing went up I've played ~75 games of Reach across Score Attack, Firefight, Campaign Matchmaking, and multiple Matchmaking Playlists, and excluding one where the Slot Machine was 359, have not gotten anything over 102. So either the 7,777 is so rare that it's almost pointless, or I am the unluckiest person alive. Good to know that it doesn't count against your Daily cap, but with higher ranks they need to address that.

Kuroyume said:
Elite Slayer is getting pretty fucking old. Nearly every game of Multi team

Yeah I hear you man. When it's just me and one friend sometimes we like to go into Multi-Team for stretches but Elite Slayer is getting really old. And it's the mode that brings out the armor lock problem more than any other. I don't mind it being a cluster for the most part, it's kind of what I expect when I go into that playlist. But all the elites armor locking and plasmas flying everywhere does get very irritating.

Zel3

Photolysis said:
Finally got my Mark VI, and thought I'd snap a few screenshots.

I'm pretty happy with my Spartan now. I just need to decide on whether I use the Shotgun bandolier for the wrist, or the datapad.

How did you get that utility? I'm a Colonel G3 and can't see it yet, do you have to buy the other pieces before it shows up?

Arnie

I see Armour Lock is still in the Arena despite it apparently being Slayer Pro. One step forwards, two steps back, never change Bungie.

As a hardcore Halo 3 player who played from launch right up until Reach, I am tired of Reach already. I don't know whether it's the change in mechanics (slower movement, shorter jump, random bloom) or the terrible selection of maps but I have zero desire to play this game like I did Halo 3. I was more excited to play Halo 3 2 and a half years after launch than I am to play Reach 1 month and a half after launch.

It says a lot that the majority of comments in this thread are armor comparisons and credit crunching.

It's not a terrible game by any margin, it's an excellent one in fact, the best Halo Singleplayer ever, the multiplayer however is a step backwards.

vhfive

Arnie said:
I see Armour Lock is still in the Arena despite it apparently being Slayer Pro. One step forwards, two steps back, never change Bungie.

As a hardcore Halo 3 player who played from launch right up until Reach, I am tired of Reach already. I don't know whether it's the change in mechanics (slower movement, shorter jump, random bloom) or the terrible selection of maps but I have zero desire to play this game like I did Halo 3. I was more excited to play Halo 3 2 and a half years after launch than I am to play Reach 1 month and a half after launch.

It says a lot that the majority of comments in this thread are armor comparisons and credit crunching.

It's not a terrible game by any margin, it's an excellent one in fact, the best Halo Singleplayer ever, the multiplayer however is a step backwards.
completely agree with everything in this post

Lothars

Arnie said:
the multiplayer however is a step backwards.

I understand where your coming from but I disagree I think it's a step forward, I am liking it more than Halo 3, I feel it plays better.

It just needs more maps but I think after a few map packs, there won't be any doubt.

Blueblur1

Arnie said:

I don't think the mechanics are bad. The online mutliplayer setup is lacking though. The maps are really hit or miss (just like with Halo 3's initial batch) and the gametype settings aren't particularly different from the norm. I got really hyped for Reach and I think its a fantastic game but I'm kind of already tired of it. Nowadays I spend more time playing other games which is the opposite of what I expected would happen.

feel

Dammit urkle, I wanted to know the exact details on how the huge jackpot is really triggered! :lol I do have a pretty great completion record, so I'm hoping to rake in the reward soonish.

First time I actually looked at the map pack synths, these maps look stunning! Can't wait.

And finally got the verify email for the newsletter (3 in a row actually), but after clicking the link in it I'm taken to an error page
Code:
Uh oh, something went wrong sending your verification email. One of the following might be the issue:

* We've already tried sending a verification email to your configured address today. Check your spam folders, wait 24 hours and return to this page to send another email.
    * Something isn't setup quite right. Either try again by refreshing this page or visit your settings page to make sure everything is configured correctly.
    * Your email isn't a valid email address and our system can't deliver the message. Check your settings and if everything seems to look okay send us a mail to Bungie.net Bugs
Probably because I clicked on the send verification email button way too many times, and now I'm locked out for the day, I'll try again some other day.

Retro

Blueblur1 said:
I don't think the mechanics are bad. The mutliplayer's online is lacking though. I got really hyped for Reach and I think its a fantastic game but I'm kind of already tired of it. Nowadays I spend more time playing other games which is the opposite of what I expected would happen.

My biggest complaint so far is lack of maps and the spawning situation on the maps we already have. Spawn-kills are a big problem, even on non-Forge maps.

On forge maps (especially The Cage and Pinnacle), spawns are atrocious. I can't count the number of times I've cleared the tower in The Cage, headed towards the man-cannon, and then been sniped by somebody who just spawned 40 feet directly behind me.

More maps and better spawning would have helped, and I can't help but feel like the number of maps was limited to spur the sales of DLC, but... that's a whole other argument.

Things like Armor Lock, while annoying, I can deal with. Eventually people will figure out how to counter AL and people will stop using it quite so much. I still prefer the mobility of sprint.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Dammit urkle, I wanted to know the exact details on how the huge jackpot is really triggered! :lol I do have a pretty great completion record, so I'm hoping to rake in the reward soonish.

First time I actually looked at the map pack synths, these maps look stunning! Can't wait.

And finally got the verify email for the newsletter (3 in a row actually), but after clicking the link in it I'm taken to an error page
Code:
Uh oh, something went wrong sending your verification email. One of the following might be the issue:

* We've already tried sending a verification email to your configured address today. Check your spam folders, wait 24 hours and return to this page to send another email.
    * Something isn't setup quite right. Either try again by refreshing this page or visit your settings page to make sure everything is configured correctly.
    * Your email isn't a valid email address and our system can't deliver the message. Check your settings and if everything seems to look okay send us a mail to Bungie.net Bugs
Probably because I clicked on the send verification email button way too many times, and now I'm locked out for the day, I'll try again some other day.

Wait there was a verify email for it? I never even got that. Double WTF Bungie.

I even double checked again. My email shows up verified on my profile. Course I've had my profile for a hell of a long time. I even double checked and it's the right email address.

Anybody feeling charitable with their extra render minutes?
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9152057&player=NullPointer256

I want to preserve this moment in firefight where I was about to lay the airstrike smackdown on a squad of Brutes and Jackals, only to have my targeting beam lock on to an enemy concussion round hurtling a few feet from my face. It didn't end well for me :lol :lol

rhocuu.jpg

^ the moment of truth right there. I was aiming right at the foot of the brute.

Sai-kun

Banned
NullPointer said:
Anybody feeling charitable with their extra render minutes?
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9152057&player=NullPointer256

I want to preserve this moment in firefight where I was about to lay the airstrike smackdown on a squad of Brutes and Jackals, only to have my targeting beam lock on to an enemy concussion round hurtling a few feet from my face. It didn't end well for me :lol :lol

rhocuu.jpg

^ the moment of truth right there. I was aiming right at the foot of the brute.

Cooking :)

Edit: Cooked! That was awesome :lol

I think a lot of the negative attitudes would change immensely with some more decent maps on rotation and decent spawning on said maps.

I played a Sword Base match in which the game, for whatever reason, decided I would benefit from spawning in the same place I kept dying in before I really had a chance to get situated, three times in a row. It's crap like that, that makes me just go back into Score Attack, get bored, then turn off the game well before I thought I would.

We've got bad remakes (Pinnacle (Ascension, of all maps, really?), Hemorrhage, Asylum (ugh lag)), spawnfail maps (Cliffhanger, Paradiso, Zealot), maps with no real direction (Atom), maps in which whole sections aren't even used (Spire, Boneyard) and maps that have so many things wrong with them I can't parse it down to one sentence (Cage).

The only ones I don't have too much of an issue with are Reflection, Countdown, Boardwalk and Powerhouse.

Oozer3993

I verified my email address a week ago and have everything set up on Bungie.net, but no Carnage Report. Maybe it's going out in waves.

Arnie

Lothars said:
I understand where your coming from but I disagree I think it's a step forward, I am liking it more than Halo 3, I feel it plays better.

It just needs more maps but I think after a few map packs, there won't be any doubt.
Yes I fully accept that my opinion is subjective and I'm definitely not the type to try and assert my views as fact, and like I say, Reach is a good game, the multiplayer is a stellar offering by most games standards, it just doesn't reach the standard of previous Halo games in my opinion.
Blueblur1 said:
I don't think the mechanics are bad. The online mutliplayer setup is lacking though. The maps are really hit or miss (just like with Halo 3's initial batch) and the gametype settings aren't particularly different from the norm. I got really hyped for Reach and I think its a fantastic game but I'm kind of already tired of it. Nowadays I spend more time playing other games which is the opposite of what I expected would happen.
I share a similar opinion to you, however I find the maps to be below average rather than hit and miss. Whilst Halo 3 had a dud selection at launch (despite The Pit which is in my opinion the joint best Halo map alongside Midship Halo 2) I was still compelled to play the game tirelessly, despite other games swooping in and battling for my attentions. Back in 2007 I was able to by and large fend of the assaults of Modern Warfare, this year I'm being seduced by middle of the road titles such as Castlevania: Lord of Shadows. The only thing that I can separate the two on if we both agree they share an uninspiring lack of maps is the mechanics. I know it's hard to admit, but I genuinely feel that the mechanics while tactile, reasoned and to an extent balanced, don't offer the same level of fun. I'm going to write up my feelings fully, and in further detail in an analysis piece tomorrow whilst I ride the train back home.
vhfive said:
completely agree with everything in this post
<3. You got my back Noble 5.

what's with people camping with shotty on objective game types in multi team?
play the game properly people, your k/d ratio isn't THAT important!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom