• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
Now you can play the game to have fun. :)

Exactly, now you don't have to worry about being able to get them or not.

Or do you stop playing once you get the challenges? If that's not the case, don't blame Bungie.

LordAlu

Jinjo said:
Only if your gamertag has been used on another console and you've been earning achievements while the LIVE version of that tag was not on that console.

You will not lose achievements you have earned offline and that later have been synced with LIVE.
Time to get my GamerTag recovered then. It is pretty strange though, I'm always connected to LIVE - I can't think of any time I've not been with Reach!

MrDaravon

Gui_PT said:
Exactly, now you don't have to worry about being able to get them or not.

Or do you stop playing once you get the challenges? If that's not the case, don't blame Bungie.

I've bitched about this before, my only point is that Bungie is completely fucking squandering the Challenge system. Tons of repeats, cR rewards all over the place in terms of difficulty vs. reward, etc. Makes no sense that on a weekend you'd get really easy to do ones, the on weekdays they put out harder ones like the Legendary without dying ones. It's the thing about the game I like the most and was looking forward to the most, and continue to be the most disappointed in. I had a ton of faith in Luke prior to the game's release, and honestly and this point I don't think they know what the fuck they're doing. In this very thread I've seen tons of very easy to do Challenges that would have a ton more variety; almost everything they've put out to date is either garbage, or has been recycled to the point where it's garbage. It just really fucking bothers me, even before playlists and map changes, you think this would be the easiest thing for them to get right, and yet they continue to get it so wrong.

Jinjo said:
Only if your gamertag has been used on another console and you've been earning achievements while the LIVE version of that tag was not on that console.

You will not lose achievements you have earned offline and that later have been synced with LIVE.

Hmmm, really? I've been across probably 4 360s at this point offline and online, but you're saying that as long as I was connected to Live juts before doing the recovery, Live would recognize everything up to that point? Their thing online doesn't really indicate that. I've gotten a fair number of Achievements offline, but not for a while, mostly older stuff. If you or someone can confirm I'll definitely do it.

LordAlu said:
Time to get my GamerTag recovered then. It is pretty strange though, I'm always connected to LIVE - I can't think of any time I've not been with Reach!

Yeah, for Reach I was connected to Live for every Achievement, each one has a timestamp. I know multiple other people who've had the same problem, I think Reach is just buggy on this one.

feel

Offline achievements get added to your total in the cloud the second you connect to live. Recover the account with no worries.

MrDaravon

Awesome, thanks! Will try and see if that fixes it. Don't care about the points at all, but I like having games show up in the "Completed" section of my dashboard.

Gui_PT

I agree with a few of your points, SailorDaravon. But I don't really agree when you say it's the easiest thing to get right. I mean, they have to make 4 challenges per day. They have to make sure they work and that they're doable/fun and give them a fair amount of credits. AND they have to do that over 1400 times in one year, man. It's not as easy as you make it seem.

LordAlu

SailorDaravon said:
Hmmm, really? I've been across probably 4 360s at this point offline and online, but you're saying that as long as I was connected to Live juts before doing the recovery, Live would recognize everything up to that point? Their thing online doesn't really indicate that. I've gotten a fair number of Achievements offline, but not for a while, mostly older stuff. If you or someone can confirm I'll definitely do it.
I'm recovering it now :)

Edit: Recovery complete, selecting Achievements under the Guide now correctly shows Reach as having 1000/1000 :D

SailorDaravon said:
Awesome, thanks! Will try and see if that fixes it. Don't care about the points at all, but I like having games show up in the "Completed" section of my dashboard.

Still seems to be more a bug with Reach than the 360. I've seen a lot of reports of the achievement listing being bugged for Reach but for no other game.

MrDaravon

Gui_PT said:
I agree with a few of your points, SailorDaravon. But I don't really agree when you say it's the easiest thing to get right. I mean, they have to make 4 challenges per day. They have to make sure they work and that they're doable/fun and give them a fair amount of credits. AND they have to do that over 1400 times in one year, man. It's not as easy as you make it seem.

True, but how hard would it be to make a Challenge to survive a level on Legendary that ISN'T one of the same 3 levels? Or get Jetpack kills on a level that ISN'T Exodus? Or maybe have a challenge for getting kills with x weapon in Campaign? I could probably sit down right now and come up with at least 50 different Challenges they haven't done, that should all be easily trackable by the system; you can't tell me the game can't recognize a Legendary without dying run on a level that isn't one of the first 3.

Phatcorns

SailorDaravon said:
True, but how hard would it be to make a Challenge to survive a level on Legendary that ISN'T one of the same 3 levels? Or get Jetpack kills on a level that ISN'T Exodus? Or maybe have a challenge for getting kills with x weapon in Campaign? I could probably sit down right now and come up with at least 50 different Challenges they haven't done, that should all be easily trackable by the system; you can't tell me the game can't recognize a Legendary without dying run on a level that isn't one of the first 3.

It's truely mind boggling that they don't have new challenges all the time. Maybe there is a lot more work that needs to be put into it than we know.

Gui_PT

SailorDaravon said:

I agree with you on that. I wonder if Bungie would accept a HaloGaf challenge list. I've seen some pretty good ideas here.

MrDaravon

Would really like to see some Campaign co-op Matchmaking Challenges; playing Campaign Matchmaking with randoms is usually hilarious and/or awesome. I've actually picked up some tips from people too; guy showed me and a friend yesterday that on Tip of the Spear you can actually just take out the AA guns by shooting the actual guns; you don't need to go inside and blow up the core part. Guy took out one of them with a freaking Ghost while me and my friend were dealing with the Wraiths :lol

Or if they're going to do stuff like complete 20 games, they should have one for Round the Bases where you have to complete at least one game in every available playlist. Or something, fuck!

Kuroyume said:
People whining about this game sound like me about Halo 3 after a while. I wanted a Halo 2 sequel. Happy Bungie did something new with the series... Something new instead of mailing it in. Kudos to them. Like ANY game there are things I would love to see changed, but no game is perfect. If 343 does another Halo 1-3 I'll pass. I want to see at new game in the direction of Reach or something entirely new but I don't want a retread of older games.

I would just like to say that I HATE this argument:

"Dont like Reach, stop complaining that they didnt make Halo 3.5." - this argument just feels like a cop out to me. Adapting to newer games isnt exactly a hard thing.

I pretty much jumped straight from Halo 1 to Halo 3, worst of all was the fact that I played Halo 1 on PC and the jump from just PC to Console was big enough in itself. Never mind the jump in gameplay. I never did have Xbox live during Halo 2's peak, but luckily with the 360 I actually had the ability to set live up (I was a little too young during Halo 2's peak), and thanks to the 1 month trial card I tried live and I just couldnt look back.

Halo 3 was vastly different to Halo 1, but even though the game was vastly different it still kept its core feel. With Reach I feel the changes mutate the core of Halo, the gameplay is less about what it used to be and Reach is just too far down a different direction for me. What dragged me into Halo and kept me playing all this time just isnt present in Reach.

So yeah, while ive been happy to jump into a drastic new take on the Halo experiance, I think Reach overstepped the line a little. Its such a jump, that it just doesnt feel like Halo of old.

Im struggling to get my point across, but I hope I havent just posted complete jibberish. Im just trying to say that while im up for a sequel that goes forward a lot, I sort of want that sequel to retain what kept me interested in that series of games in the first place.

Arnie

bobs99 ... said:

"Dont like Reach, stop complaining that they didnt make Halo 3.5." - this argument just feels like a cop out to me. Adapting to newer games isnt exactly a hard thing.

I pretty much jumped straight from Halo 1 to Halo 3, worst of all was the fact that I played Halo 1 on PC and the jump from just PC to Console was big enough in itself. Never mind the jump in gameplay. I never did have Xbox live during Halo 2's peak, but luckily with the 360 I actually had the ability to set live up (I was a little too young during Halo 2's peak), and thanks to the 1 month trial card I tried live and I just couldnt look back.

Halo 3 was vastly different to Halo 1, but even though the game was vastly different it still kept its core feel. With Reach I feel the changes mutate the core of Halo, the gameplay is less about what it used to be and Reach is just too far down a different direction for me. What dragged me into Halo and kept me playing all this time just isnt present in Reach.

So yeah, while ive been happy to jump into a drastic new take on the Halo experiance, I think Reach overstepped the line a little. Its such a jump, that it just doesnt feel like Halo of old.

Im struggling to get my point across, but I hope I havent just posted complete jibberish. Im just trying to say that while im up for a sequel that goes forward a lot, I sort of want that sequel to retain what kept me interested in that series of games in the first place.
No that's exactly how I feel, in a round about way. And yes I too hate the argument of "you people just wanted Halo 3.5", because I know within myself that I wanted a fresh Halo experience that kept the core mechanics and skill set, which Reach clearly does not. I too found the move from Halo 2 to 3 initially rough with the slower movement speed, however Halo 3 still kept that magic for me.

And Ramirez I totally understand they tried to do something fresh, and I applaud them, it just didn't turn out well for me because my favourite console FPS has taken a direction which doesn't particularly suit my tastes, I don't think it's a bad game though, and in regards to someone else's post I'm definitely not whining about it, just trying to present my thoughts clearly.

Kuroyume

Banned
bobs99 ... said:

If you don't like the argument then stop posting in the thread. I'm not going to regurgitate the same damn argument.

Kujo

Wow, got betrayed by my own teammate for the sniper I just picked up, the thing is he already had a sniper, he just wanted my ammo. No option to boot. He then precedes to lose the sniper rifle to the other team, fucking brilliant.

Mr. Sam

Mojo said:
Wow, got betrayed by my own teammate for the sniper I just picked up, the thing is he already had a sniper, he just wanted my ammo. No option to boot. He then precedes to lose the sniper rifle to the other team, fucking brilliant.
Furthermore, by picking up your ammo he caused that sniper to respawn and potentially give the enemy team two snipers. Sounds like a smart guy.

Arnie said:
No that's exactly how I feel, in a round about way. And yes I too hate the argument of "you people just wanted Halo 3.5", because I know within myself that I wanted a fresh Halo experience that kept the core mechanics and skill set, which Reach clearly does not. I too found the move from Halo 2 to 3 initially rough with the slower movement speed, however Halo 3 still kept that magic for me.

And Ramirez I totally understand they tried to do something fresh, and I applaud them, it just didn't turn out well for me because my favourite console FPS has taken a direction which doesn't particularly suit my tastes, I don't think it's a bad game though, and in regards to someone else's post I'm definitely not whining about it, just trying to present my thoughts clearly.

So you guys just don't enjoy the game?

Maybe you should just move along... Black Ops comes out in a few days.

Louis Wu

PsychoRaven said:
WTF!! I'm signed up and didn't get it.
Me either.

My mailservers handle several Bungie fans' addresses - looking through the logs, they all got it last night. I didn't, though. :(

B.net says my address is valid/active.

Ah, well. Probably has something to do with my missing Reach avatar. :lol :lol

Gui_PT

Louis Wu said:
Me either.

My mailservers handle several Bungie fans' addresses - looking through the logs, they all got it last night. I didn't, though. :(

B.net says my address is valid/active.

Ah, well. Probably has something to do with my missing Reach avatar. :lol :lol

Same thing with me: Email Status [Valid/Active]
But I haven't received anything at all.

Ramirez

SailorDaravon said:
Hmmm, I did get 777 twice in a row for Slot Machine this morning (I've only gotten 777 twice in ~1000 games), but still no 7,777 after no quits and about 90 matches. Does the Jackpot thing also increase the odds of just 777? Would also like to know if the 7,777 Jackpot is possible in Score Attack, Firefight, Campaign co-op, etc.

Annnnnd in 5 matches I have all of today's Challenges. Come on Bungie :/

You realize playing even 5 matches for probably 60-70% of the population is a huge amount? The daily challenges aren't meant to be something that takes you all day.

As far as the game not feeling like a core Halo title, the multiplayer lead was a completely different guy, and you can see the Shadowrun influence all over the game. I seriously would probably have no problems at all with the game if the bloom didn't exist, it is without a doubt the dumbest addition to the game, IMO. It really hampers the flow of gun battles...

Hey You

Lead Based Paint said:
As a Hardcore Halo player myself, I am almost tired of Reach.

But thats because Objective is a little off, Zombies don't have Zombie maps, Race needs maps from Halo Tracks, and the the super lack of custom content.

So once that happens, it won't be boring anymore. But the wait for custom content is gonna be really hard.
Hopefully after the Forgetacular contest is over with, we will get some system for Community content not only for maps, but I'm sure there is already some gametypes out there.

Just searching through the Top Downloads for stuff to put into MM shouldn't be the only way. Alot of us don't have hundreds of friends to DL and recommend files.

Kujo

Mr. Sam said:
Furthermore, by picking up your ammo he caused that sniper to respawn and potentially give the enemy team two snipers. Sounds like a smart guy.
About as smart as the guys on my team who take my flags out of the Stockpile and put them back in thinking they'll get the points (why does this continue to happen :/ )

Ramirez

Mojo said:
About as smart as the guys on my team who take my flags out of the Stockpile and put them back in thinking they'll get the points (why does this continue to happen :/ )

Because Stockpile is horrible.

UltimaPooh said:

Don't worry, we'll make a new thread to counter-act this one called Halo 3.5: What Reach should have been.

It will be the greatest thread known to man kind!!!! :p

Also CoD sucks, well I'm actually interested in Black-ops, first CoD game I actually am thinking of getting, (ugh, can't believe I said that, I need to go rinse my mouth out).

That's odd, I didn't get the carnage report either... But on B.net it says my email is valid.

Any official response as to why this is happening?

PS- I got Kinect last night and cannot seem to pull myself away from it to play Halo... I've become one of them

Arnie

UltimaPooh said:

It's not that I don't enjoy it when I have the odd game here or there, it's just I don't enjoy it as much as the others in the series, and I certainly don't have the same feeling as I had with the others which drove me to come back and play it day in day out for years.

I've never been much of a COD man myself, much prefer skill based shooters.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
The Carnage Report didn't go out in a single batch. As you might imagine, there are many hundreds of recipients on the list. Playing more Halo may expedite delivery.

Challenges are baked in. We can't introduce new scenarios.

MrDaravon

urk said:
The Carnage Report didn't go out in a single batch. As you might imagine, there are many hundreds of recipients on the list. Playing more Halo may expedite delivery.

So you're seriously saying that whatever you guys programmed in for Challenges at launch is it? Obviously you would want to spread them out if that is the case, but the fact that we've already seen a million repeats suggests that there's not a ton of them in there then. On a day to day basis the Challenges were the only thing bringing me back to the game, I may seriously be done with Reach. God fucking damn, really? Wow. Epic, epic disappointment.

urk said:

Uh Oh.

SailorDaravon said:
So you're seriously saying that whatever you guys programmed in for Challenges at launch is it? Obviously you would want to spread them out if that is the case, but the fact that we've already seen a million repeats suggests that there's not a ton of them in there then. On a day to day basis the Challenges were the only thing bringing me back to the game, I may seriously be done with Reach. God fucking damn, really? Wow. Epic, epic disappointment.

:lol at people who need a carrot on a stick to play a game.

Dirtbag

Seems the game has gotten tougher since COD came out. Feels like the lambs have gone and now I'm back to playing against halo players.

Armor Lock totally frustrates me still.
I could never play Covie Slayer again, and be totally fine with it.
Focus rifle, and Repeater need damage buffs for MP.
Can't decide if the Concussion rifle or Pistol is more inconsistenet, I just never know what's going to happen when I fire them.
AR range seems a bit too generous.
Shotgun range seems too short, it's turned into a corner camping weapon.
BTB and Invasion are lacking for me. BTB Maps and Invasion just aren't fun to me.

Love the Needle Rifle and DMR differently. Can't choose which I like more. Well done.
I'm one of the few weirdo's that loves Cliffhanger and Atom (Atom with DMR starts only though).
Swordbase grew on me.

Sai-kun

Banned
urk said:

buh

whatthe.png

Dirtbag said:
Seems the game has gotten tougher since COD came out. Feels like the lambs have gone and now I'm back to playing against halo players.

Armor Lock totally frustrates me still.
I could never play Covie Slayer again, and be totally fine with it.
Focus rifle, and Repeater need damage buffs for MP.
Can't decide if the Concussion rifle or Pistol is more inconsistenet, I just never know what's going to happen when I fire them.
AR range seems a bit too generous.
Shotgun range seems too short, it's turned into a corner camping weapon.
BTB and Invasion are lacking for me. BTB Maps and Invasion just aren't fun to me.

Love the Needle Rifle and DMR differently. Can't choose which I like more. Well done.
I'm one of the few weirdo's that loves Cliffhanger and Atom (Atom with DMR starts only though).
Swordbase grew on me.

COD hasn't came out yet.

MrDaravon

divisionbyzorro said:
:lol at people who need a carrot on a stick to play a game.

Without the Player Investment system, I probably wouldn't be playing the game anymore anyway; game changes aside, it's still Halo. The reason that I played MW2 probably more than Halo 3 was that I'm not a super great player, and Halo 3 only rewarded you for winning. What MW2 and Reach do is allow you to always be progressing, and doesn't make winning everything. The extension of that in Reach is the Challenges, which they've said are the inticement to get people to come back day after day whereas they might not normally; Challenges are where they basically mix things up every day. The problem is that they've largely failed at that, and if they can't add additional ones or make tweaks based on feedback, that's an utter failure.

Also it's that combined with all of the complaining that's already been done regarding maps, playlists, spawns, etc. To rephrase, the Challenges were the last thing keeping me coming back right now, so this is the proverbial straw on the camel's back. I'll come back when the DLC hits to get those Achievements to keep my S-rank as well as finish out my Colonel Grade 3 so I can get the hilarious robot helmet. But outside of that they need to make some major changes to playlists and maps, which maybe they will do with the DLC, but now I have zero faith in that. Guess I'm getting CoD after all :lol

Ramirez

SailorDaravon said:

:lol

You posted a while back about how this place was full of man babies, so ironic, good grief.

I'm pretty sure Trasher told me that Luke said there's 500 or so total challenges, we haven't even seen 75 unique ones yet...

MrDaravon

Ramirez said:
:lol

You posted a while back about how this place was full of man babies, so ironic, good grief.

I'm pretty sure Trasher told me that Luke said there's 500 or so total challenges, we haven't even seen 75 unique ones yet...

Read my follow-up post, I didn't think clarification was necessary, but...

Devin Olsen said:
:)

G3JSy.jpg

TUg9y.jpg

Shot of everything that Emily got me <3
jKVyU.jpg

Awesome! I don't get the Cookie Crisp though :lol

MrDaravon

Crunched said:
It's got more whole grain and calcium than the X Box and Kinect combined.

Does it have more than a bowl of Total though?

Also, we've had 97 unique Dailies and 8 unique Weeklies, so if the 500 thing is true we've seen about a fifth of the Challenge content.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
SailorDaravon said:
Does it have more than a bowl of Total though?

Also, we've had 97 unique Dailies and 8 unique Weeklies, so if the 500 thing is true we've seen about a fifth of the Challenge content.
I'll check on the total Monday morning. For now, Make 10 incredulous forum posts on GAF and I will send you a t-shirt. Right after I send Ram his onesie and Devon his special controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom