• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
jizzlobber said:
what's with people camping with shotty on objective game types in multi team?
play the game properly people, your k/d ratio isn't THAT important!
Getting 125 kills for today's challenge is.

MrBig

Arnie said:
I see Armour Lock is still in the Arena despite it apparently being Slayer Pro. One step forwards, two steps back, never change Bungie.

As a hardcore Halo 3 player who played from launch right up until Reach, I am tired of Reach already. I don't know whether it's the change in mechanics (slower movement, shorter jump, random bloom) or the terrible selection of maps but I have zero desire to play this game like I did Halo 3. I was more excited to play Halo 3 2 and a half years after launch than I am to play Reach 1 month and a half after launch.

It says a lot that the majority of comments in this thread are armor comparisons and credit crunching.

It's not a terrible game by any margin, it's an excellent one in fact, the best Halo Singleplayer ever, the multiplayer however is a step backwards.
Yep.

Arnie said:
I see Armour Lock is still in the Arena despite it apparently being Slayer Pro. One step forwards, two steps back, never change Bungie.

As a hardcore Halo 3 player who played from launch right up until Reach, I am tired of Reach already. I don't know whether it's the change in mechanics (slower movement, shorter jump, random bloom) or the terrible selection of maps but I have zero desire to play this game like I did Halo 3. I was more excited to play Halo 3 2 and a half years after launch than I am to play Reach 1 month and a half after launch.

It says a lot that the majority of comments in this thread are armor comparisons and credit crunching.

It's not a terrible game by any margin, it's an excellent one in fact, the best Halo Singleplayer ever, the multiplayer however is a step backwards.

Thank you, what I've been trying to say all along, just doesn't have the magic that Halo 3 did. Also regarding the new maps, it looks like Breakpoint has every single power weapon on it known to man, not sure if I want that. :/

Arnie

CrazedArabMan said:
Thank you, what I've been trying to say all along, just doesn't have the magic that Halo 3 did. Also regarding the new maps, it looks like Breakpoint has every single power weapon on it known to man, not sure if I want that. :/
Don't worry, I'll have a much more analytical, digestible breakdown of why it is we feel this way about Reach's multiplayer very soon.

Ramirez

Sounds like most of you wanted another Halo 3, which is fine, but I think they wanted to try something different for their last game. Some things worked, some don't, you either adapt to the changes in the game or move on to something else, bout all that can be said.

The core game isn't going to get patched, AA's are not likely to be tweaked at all, and basically most of the stuff that gets complained about in here isn't going to change.

I feel they've set 343 up with a very easy task of returning Halo to it's glory when they release their game though.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is anything going to be done about the number of people that aren't actually playing? Just had two matches in a row where two teammates were not even playing. I'm getting close to trading this in for credit towards Black Ops.

Hey You

Mooreberg said:
Is anything going to be done about the number of people that aren't actually playing? Just had two matches in a row where two teammates were not even playing. I'm getting close to trading this in for credit towards Black Ops.
Play with friends is always better than randoms.

Edit: What the hell? I'm playing a custom game where the Pick up Evade ability is the thing you have to arm the bomb and if someone picks up the Evade AA, they become the Goal.

Mind blown.

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
So since some of us seem to have been screwed out of the Carnage Report could someone copy and past it for us please.
It's just a recap of what was said on bnet this week
Rank Cap, Busted!

Forty nine days and more than a few million challenges later, you've totally decapitated the rank cap in Halo: Reach! That means there are now more kick ass rank and armor options available in the Armory than ever before.

To help get you suited up into some hot new gear, we're introducing huge Credit Jackpots for players who routinely finish their games. Because we love you and want you to have nice things.

Bungie.net - Halo: Reach
Playlists Updated!

In October, we added Team SWAT, Team Snipers, and Living Dead to the pool of playlists we have on offer in matchmaking. We also added two new Map Variants, Cliffhanger, and the community crafted offering, Atom. For November, we're focusing on Arena, removing Radar for Season 3 and shuffling up the existing Armor Abilities to make the competition even more, uh, competitive.

Expect more updates and alterations in the weeks and months ahead. To stay up to date on all the playlist news, bookmark our Playlists page.

Lothars

Ramirez said:
Sounds like most of you wanted another Halo 3, which is fine, but I think they wanted to try something different for their last game. Some things worked, some don't, you either adapt to the changes in the game or move on to something else, bout all that can be said.

The core game isn't going to get patched, AA's are not likely to be tweaked at all, and basically most of the stuff that gets complained about in here isn't going to change.

I feel they've set 343 up with a very easy task of returning Halo to it's glory when they release their game though.

I disagree I do believe that there will be tweaks but I agree that some of the complaints are just wanting another halo 3 instead of it's own game.

Arnie said:
Don't worry, I'll have a much more analytical, digestible breakdown of why it is we feel this way about Reach's multiplayer very soon.

I thought about doing one, but I'm too lazy. :p

Ramirez said:

Why must you crush my hope. :(

Frankie will save us though.
When he gets unbanned :p

feel

The magic is there for me, it probably helps that I don't treat it in a very serious and competitive way, and just play for wacky fun and giggles with friends. I just got killed in some unfair way? Who gives a shit, respawn is a few seconds away, and with that my chance to get back out there and maybe pull off a cool kill or two.

bobs99 ... said:
Not that anyone here needs it to sway theyre decision on whether to buy Reach or not, theres a new trailer for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muEzMK9f2IU

I guess this is for the Christmas crowd.
that was nice

Hydranockz said:
And the weekly multikillz.

brokenwatch said:
Any arena experts around?

All games count, so if you are doing well in the next few gaems they count as well.

The daily rating is like a rough estimate of how you did for the day, what really matters is that your game rating is higher than the people in the same game as the people around you.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
It's just a recap of what was said on bnet this week

Ah. Ok. Not bad if you don't read Bungie.net everyday but I do so I'm not missing anything then. lol

Letters said:
The magic is there for me, it probably helps that I don't treat it in a very serious and competitive way, and just play for wacky fun and giggles with friends. I just got killed in some unfair way? Who gives a shit, respawn is a few seconds away, and with that my chance to get back out there and maybe pull off a cool kill or two.

You know I'm with you there. Maybe that's why I've never really hated any of the games. Sure there are little things here or there I didn't care for like Rocket Lock on in 2, Spartan Laser, etc. However I just play it for fun and every single Halo game has given me that a thousand fold.

Hydranockz said:

I don't buy that because if you want kills you gotta follow the action, everyone chases the oddball/hill... shotty campers are trying to boost their k/d ration I think.
and multikills?
again, follow the action and lob some frags, much easier

Ballistik

Haven't played this game as much as I used to. I have 3 clips to show you guys that are from September, for some reason.. they don't seem that awesome as when I first saved them. :lol First one is a vehicular Manslaughter medal. Second video is a SWAT match where I end up with 30+ kills with a 1733 rating. Last video is also SWAT when it was in Multi Team.. got 48 kills because my teammate quit on me but I still won.

Kuroyume

Banned
People whining about this game sound like me about Halo 3 after a while. I wanted a Halo 2 sequel. Happy Bungie did something new with the series... Something new instead of mailing it in. Kudos to them. Like ANY game there are things I would love to see changed, but no game is perfect. If 343 does another Halo 1-3 I'll pass. I want to see at new game in the direction of Reach or something entirely new but I don't want a retread of older games.

Oozer3993

Letters said:
The magic is there for me, it probably helps that I don't treat it in a very serious and competitive way, and just play for wacky fun and giggles with friends. I just got killed in some unfair way? Who gives a shit, respawn is a few seconds away, and with that my chance to get back out there and maybe pull off a cool kill or two..

It's the same for me. But I was serious about Halo 3. I think the Challenges and the Ranks & Armory have something to do with it. Even if I've had bad games I've still made progress toward something. It's really taken the edge off for me.

GhaleonEB

Thought I'd pass along this update to Crossroads I just posted in the Forge thread, so people know about it ahead of customs tomorrow. I adjusted about 50% of the geometry on the map, mostly in small ways. The sides are much, MUCH more secure than they were previously.

The new infantry routes are a response to Dax and others feedback about infantry feeling stranded in certain areas, too far from important areas. I think the three major additions will make movement a lot quicker and more flexible for players on foot. At least, I hope so.

krakov

Most of my problems with the game comes from the community (quitters, griefers, people afk, etc) and I'm hoping some of those will go away sooner or later.

Does anyone know if there is a good guide to weapon/vehicle spawns on the bigger maps somewhere, especially Spire and Boneyard. Between Invasion and BTB I find it really hard to learn.

GloveSlap

Ramirez said:

That's the thing, this game reeks of Bungie being bored of developing Halo games. Things are different for the sake of being different with no regard to what works or what is actually a good idea. The map design has the same feel, which is why most are terrible. IMO of course

Anybody know if the credit jackpot applies only to multiplayer or to Score Attack and Campaign matchmaking as well? As in can I quit Score Attack and Campaign matchmaking games and not risk losing out on the jackpot?

Striker

Arnie said:
As a hardcore Halo 3 player who played from launch right up until Reach, I am tired of Reach already. I don't know whether it's the change in mechanics (slower movement, shorter jump, random bloom) or the terrible selection of maps but I have zero desire to play this game like I did Halo 3.
Sounds like me going from the jump from Halo 2 to Halo 3. Inferiority in maps, slower speed, added bubble shields and other pieces to add "flow" to the game, and the hit detection were just not my cup of tea.

You either have to adapt, or move on.

As a Hardcore Halo player myself, I am almost tired of Reach.

But thats because Objective is a little off, Zombies don't have Zombie maps, Race needs maps from Halo Tracks, and the the super lack of custom content.

So once that happens, it won't be boring anymore. But the wait for custom content is gonna be really hard.

chapel

Banned
Lead Based Paint said:
As a Hardcore Halo player myself, I am almost tired of Reach.

But thats because Objective is a little off, Zombies don't have Zombie maps, Race needs maps from Halo Tracks, and the the super lack of custom content.

So once that happens, it won't be boring anymore. But the wait for custom content is gonna be really hard.
I used to love Objective games in H2/3 but have no enjoyed it at all in Reach. Feels like the game is working against me.

i'm not sure i can stand playing reach any longer. while i'm nowhere near as serious about the game like some of you i've always loved halo but there are too many things wrong with MP right now and some of which are out of bungie's control (AFK'ers, griefers, quitters). ah well i hope they come up with some solutions because i really enjoy the core gameplay.

Challenge time!

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR
Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Gunslinger - 1000cR
Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Points, Points - 2500cR
Score 20,000 points in a Firefight Matchmaking game.

.. Got a Triple Double - 500cR

Earn 3 Double Kills in the same match in Multiplayer Matchmaking.

Zel3 said:
How did you get that utility? I'm a Colonel G3 and can't see it yet, do you have to buy the other pieces before it shows up?

The soft case? You should be able to buy it at Colonel G3 for 100KcR. I only had the hard case purchased.

LordAlu

Photolysis said:
Challenge time!

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR
Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Gunslinger - 1000cR
Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Points, Points - 2500cR
Score 20,000 points in a Firefight Matchmaking game.

.. Got a Triple Double - 500cR

Earn 3 Double Kills in the same match in Multiplayer Matchmaking.

The soft case? You should be able to buy it at Colonel G3 for 100KcR. I only had the hard case purchased.
I literally refreshed Bungie.net, copy & pasted, hit the thread to post to find it was already there, in less than 6 seconds. Man's got some skills! :lol

All challenges I've seen before though (except maybe the Double Kill one?). Oh well, I need the credits, I still haven't reached Lt. Colonel!

GhaleonEB said:
Thought I'd pass along this update to Crossroads I just posted in the Forge thread, so people know about it ahead of customs tomorrow. I adjusted about 50% of the geometry on the map, mostly in small ways. The sides are much, MUCH more secure than they were previously.

The new infantry routes are a response to Dax and others feedback about infantry feeling stranded in certain areas, too far from important areas. I think the three major additions will make movement a lot quicker and more flexible for players on foot. At least, I hope so.
Purty.

lord pie

I really enjoy reach, in short bursts. I never found multiplayer in Halo 3 to be especially engaging. I think the variation with elites, armor abilities, invasion, etc is the reason.
Almost every game has a 'wtf!!!!!!' moment that makes it well worth it.

However I can see the problems the game has caused.
I think the credit system has backfired with a some of my friends. A few of them are at 2m+ credits, which means they have been playing for something like 8 hours a day since the game launched (!!!).
Needless to say, I can see they are burnt out on it. Sometimes these addictive systems have their downsides.
It works when it encourages you to explore the different sides of the game (eg using unpopular weapons, etc) but the 'kil XXXX enemies today' stuff is just lazy.

MrDaravon

Hmmm, I did get 777 twice in a row for Slot Machine this morning (I've only gotten 777 twice in ~1000 games), but still no 7,777 after no quits and about 90 matches. Does the Jackpot thing also increase the odds of just 777? Would also like to know if the 7,777 Jackpot is possible in Score Attack, Firefight, Campaign co-op, etc.

Annnnnd in 5 matches I have all of today's Challenges. Come on Bungie :/

LordAlu

Finally reached Lt. Colonel and purchased an item to get my last Achievement. Strangely if I go into the Guide and select the Achievements, it shows me as having Halo Reach: 48 of 49, 990GS, but if I select the game to look at them it says I have 49 of 49 achievements, and the XBox.com website shows me as having 1000/1000 on it?

MrDaravon

LordAlu said:
Finally reached Lt. Colonel and purchased an item to get my last Achievement. Strangely if I go into the Guide and select the Achievements, it shows me as having Halo Reach: 48 of 49, 990GS, but if I select the game to look at them it says I have 49 of 49 achievements, and the XBox.com website shows me as having 1000/1000 on it?

I've got the exact same situation (but showing 995 instead of 990). The only solution I've been given is to recover your Gamertag, but I don't want to do that because you lose any Achievements in any game that you've earned Offline :(

SailorDaravon said:
Hmmm, I did get 777 twice in a row for Slot Machine this morning (I've only gotten 777 twice in ~1000 games), but still no 7,777 after no quits and about 90 matches. Does the Jackpot thing also increase the odds of just 777? Would also like to know if the 7,777 Jackpot is possible in Score Attack, Firefight, Campaign co-op, etc.

Annnnnd in 5 matches I have all of today's Challenges. Come on Bungie :/
Now you can play the game to have fun. :)

Jinjo

SailorDaravon said:
I've got the exact same situation (but showing 995 instead of 990). The only solution I've been given is to recover your Gamertag, but I don't want to do that because you lose any Achievements in any game that you've earned Offline :(

Only if your gamertag has been used on another console and you've been earning achievements while the LIVE version of that tag was not on that console.

You will not lose achievements you have earned offline and that later have been synced with LIVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom