• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Glowingmonx said:

The guy has a note in the beginning, "I made this before the beta, the bloom is actually a lot more than I had anticipated" :lol Bloom of Reach's caliber did not exist in the past Halo's, I don't care what Bungie says, I've never had weapons fail me more times in less games than in Reach. The random spread of the BR in 3 sucked, but it was still a 100x more consistent than the DMR for me.

Anyways, I'm really interested to see what happens after CoD comes out, pretty much every person I play with says they're not playing anymore after CoD, I'm curious to see if a large portion of people feel that way. That's about the only way we can tell exactly how unhappy most fans are with the game.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Yep. This is just the first game they've showed it in. I can show you exactly where the values for it are in guerilla (Halo pc EK.)
Aye. I did a similar video for Halo 3 using the AR a long time ago. I've learned to enjoy it, the DMR has a great rhythm.

I spent some time last night just messing around and working up some Commendations (automatic weapon in Firefight), using the AR to mow through guys. And it's very powerful and accurate in bursts.

Striker

Lead Based Paint said:
Honestly, its depressing. Objective is(was) my favorite part of Halo.

Remember the flag reset timer on the Flag in H2? It was nice.

Remember 1 Bomb and 1 Flag fast? It was nice.

Remember when the bomb and flag were actually inside the Powerhouse? That was nice.

Why are they letting objective die? :(
Halo 3 really killed Objectives. Outside a few items like 2-flag on Standoff, The Pit, Heretic (which was great in Halo 2, as well, so that's expected), and 1-bomb/flag on High Ground, it really was nothing special. The biggest culprit to blame, really, is maps. Halo 3 lacked solid 2-side maps for 4v4. I mean, The Pit was good, though not great, and Standoff was good if it didn't get out of hand with the Laser, but everything else was very ordinary. I loved Zanzibar 1-flag/bomb in Halo 2, but Last Resort had a few holes. The box in the base, for one, could cover up the bomb/flag object. The Spartan Laser, also, had no business on the map. Halo 2 Team Skirmish was fucking king. I would wrote so many paragraphs on the amount of combinations and variety there was. :(

There's still a lot of potential in these maps and with the Assault style more varied toward Halo 2's, it's probably my favorite variant overall. I think things like Headhunter get weighted too high.

I never realized so many people disliked the bloom. I love it, haven't had any problems with it. However, I seem to be missing something.

What's the "random" element to the bloom as some people have mentioned? I like it for the fact that it's consistent and I always know the accuracy of my shots.

SailorDaravon said:
Several people responded to your post about DMRs, you said you weren't talking about DMRs, and I posted why people probably thought you were talking about DMRs. Then you posted something about "laws" and how if people disagree that's fine but that your statement is fact. Clearly I am the jackass.

Its ok, if you're not a Halo gaf regular, your arguments are jackass.

And its funny that you try to deflect from the DMR, because the reason you are more likely to get a random Pistol head shot is due to the difference in distance.

Ramirez said:
The guy has a note in the beginning, "I made this before the beta, the bloom is actually a lot more than I had anticipated" :lol Bloom of Reach's caliber did not exist in the past Halo's, I don't care what Bungie says, I've never had weapons fail me more times in less games than in Reach. The random spread of the BR in 3 sucked, but it was still a 100x more consistent than the DMR for me.

At a distance, I would take the DMR 1000 times over the BR. And of course you would like the BR better, its easier :lol

Voltron64 said:
:lol

Halo: CE pistol was nowhere near as inaccurate as the DMR while firing rapid shots in succession.

This, messing with Halo 1 and 2 mods, I've known there has always been spread in Halo, but it was more consistent. For example the spread was not nearly as great as taking a shot with full bloom with the DMR, no matter how much you spammed the BR. With past Halo's you still kept the reticule on the head of the player and you usually got a head shot if you were spamming the trigger. If you do that in Reach, you will most likely miss or you can be aiming at the body and the trigger blooms to cover their head, and you get a lucky head-shot. The problem isn't not being able to spam the trigger, it's the consistency when shooting. This should be reserved for more realistic style combat games, not for Halo.

Striker said:
Halo 3 really killed Objectives. Outside a few items like 2-flag on Standoff, The Pit, Heretic (which was great in Halo 2, as well, so that's expected), and 1-bomb/flag on High Ground, it really was nothing special. The biggest culprit to blame, really, is maps. Halo 3 lacked solid 2-side maps for 4v4. I mean, The Pit was good, though not great, and Standoff was good if it didn't get out of hand with the Laser, but everything else was very ordinary. I loved Zanzibar 1-flag/bomb in Halo 2, but Last Resort had a few holes. The box in the base, for one, could cover up the bomb/flag object. The Spartan Laser, also, had no business on the map. Halo 2 Team Skirmish was fucking king. I would wrote so many paragraphs on the amount of combinations and variety there was. :(

There's still a lot of potential in these maps and with the Assault style more varied toward Halo 2's, it's probably my favorite variant overall. I think things like Headhunter get weighted too high.

Honestly, what made Halo 2 the amazing game that it was was the combination of amazing maps and Objective. Objective was so complete is Halo 2 and it really helped set Halo apart because of how comprehensive the Gametypes outside of Slayer were.

The fact that this love and detail paid to objective has waned significantly in Halo 3 and then in Reach is pretty depressing.

CrazedArabMan said:
This, messing with Halo 1 and 2 mods, I've known there has always been spread in Halo, but it was more consistent. For example the spread was not nearly as great as taking a shot with full bloom with the DMR, no matter how much you spammed the BR. With past Halo's you still kept the reticule on the head of the player and you usually got a head shot if you were spamming the trigger. If you do that in Reach, you will most likely miss or you can be aiming at the body and the trigger blooms to cover their head, and you get a lucky head-shot. The problem isn't not being able to spam the trigger, it's the consistency when shooting. This should be reserved for more realistic style combat games, not for Halo.

People don't love any sort of difficulty and want the easiest way out. Its a shame Bungie is being chastised for attempting to introduce a new facet of gameplay.

Ramirez

Lead Based Paint said:
At a distance, I would take the DMR 1000 times over the BR. And of course you would like the BR better, its easier :lol

Derpa derp.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I would poop on you with either gun 9/10 times.

Ramirez said:
Derpa derp.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I would poop on you with either gun 9/10 times.

Lol when all else fails, try to make fun of them or say how much better you are. Its the pro thing to do.

But what hell, why not. We can cyber duke it out sometime.

And for clarity, you took my comment the wrong way. The fact of the matter the BR is easier to use because you don't have to time your shots, therefore why you liked it better. I would do the same thing if I had the choice.

Lead Based Paint said:
People don't love any sort of difficulty and want the easiest way out. Its a shame Bungie is being chastised for attempting to introduce a new facet of gameplay.

I give them props for trying to evolve the combat a bit, you don't know until you tried it, I just don't think it was the right thing to do though. Regarding an easier way out, I would say Halo 3 was a harder game to play compared to Reach actually, or easier for new comers. Just my opinion though, other's may find Reach much harder.

neoism

Ramirez said:

Anyways, I'm really interested to see what happens after CoD comes out, pretty much every person I play with says they're not playing anymore after CoD, I'm curious to see if a large portion of people feel that way. That's about the only way we can tell exactly how unhappy most fans are with the game.
I may still get it, but it really is just the same ol shit again. One of the things I hate about the game is the weapons aren't as good as MW2.... That and I just don't want to support Activision.

Glowingmonx said:

Bloom existed in Halo 1, but it pretty much affected no one because you had to hold the trigger down for it to kick in, most people fire the pistol manually and so never have to worry about bloom.

Hell even though no one ever held the trigger down, even if they did bloom wouldnt have bothered them much considering how low it was in Halo 1.

I also loled at this:

Lead Based Paint said:

Lead Based Paint said:
Lol when all else fails, try to make fun of them or say how much better you are. Its the pro thing to do.

And for clarity, you took my comment the wrong way. The fact of the matter the BR is easier to use because you don't have to time your shots, therefore why you liked it better. I would do the same thing if I had the choice.

Kinda funny you first say the bloom adds more elements of skill to the game, and then claim hes pulling the skill card. The thing with bloom is, it doesnt really add difficultly, and it doesnt make the game more fun either. If your good at a FPS your good because you understand teamwork, movement and can generally aim - the bloom doesnt really challenge the base skills you need, but it does throw a spanner in the works.

Agree that I miss good objective types from H2. I've said this many times but it's just about all I played when I got Halo 2 and played online.

Hardly ever play it now. Hope that some new maps come along that make for a good objective experience. I tried to do that with some of my maps in Forge.

Also I don't mind the reticule bloom at all.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
neoism said:
I may still get it, but it really is just the same ol shit again. One of the things I hate about the game is the weapons aren't as good as MW2.... That and I just don't want to support Activision.

So no Bungie new IP for you, then?

Gotcha.

Ramirez

Lead Based Paint said:

I don't find either gun hard to use, it's not even the gun that's the point, you could replace BR with BB Gun, I'm saying I'll take the mechanics of 3's gunplay over Reach's any day of the week.

Ramirez said:
I don't find either gun hard to use, it's not even the gun that's the point, you could replace BR with BB Gun, I'm saying I'll take the mechanics of 3's gunplay over Reach's any day of the week.

Because its easier. Thats my point.

I think the one thing they could do to improve gunplay in Reach is adjust the pistol bloom a tad smaller.

Lead Based Paint said:
Because its easier. Thats my point.

I think the one thing they could do to improve gunplay in Reach is adjust the pistol bloom a tad smaller.

If its easier, when you play against better players they kill you easier, so in order to beat them you have to be better with it. I wouldnt say the BR is a easier weapon at all, I know I cant outbr everyone out there. Besides, arguing skill is stupid, which weapon is more fun.

This is all opinions, and I dont quite know why I keep posting, BR vs DMR is the new BR vs AR. :lol

Striker

I sure as hell don't miss Halo 3's awful hit detection, therefore I'm in the camp who favors the mechanics from Reach. How often would shit 'miss' or blood squirt out but it doesn't injure them. Hit-scan ftw.

bobs99 ... said:
If its easier, when you play against better players they kill you easier, so in order to beat them you have to be better with it.

I wouldnt say the BR is a easier weapon at all, I know I cant outbr everyone out there.

Besides, arguing skill is stupid, which weapon is more fun.

Kinda funny you first say the bloom adds more elements of skill to the game, and then claim hes pulling the skill card.
The thing with bloom is, it doesnt really add difficultly, and it doesnt make the game more fun either. If your good at a FPS your good because you understant teamwork, movement and can generally aim - the bloom doesnt really challenge the base skills you need, but it does throw a spanner in the works.

Can you clarify your first sentence? I don't understand it.

Because in one case, I'm discussing the nature of the game and whether a certain weapon is easier to use or not, not a specific persons ability to use it, and in the other, I have a guy mad because he thinks that i insinuated that hes bad at a certain weapon, and so he threatens to poop on me with them.

Azar

I think the lack of genuinely fun objective matches is a big reason I've played very little Reach so far. I played regularly for a few weeks and then went back to League of Legends on the PC. :lol I still enjoy Reach and find it fun, but there are just too few maps to enjoy and Bungie's objective game design seems to have taken a big step back from Halo 2 and even from Halo 3.

There are simply fewer fun maps to play objective games on, sudden death doesn't really give you enough time to be relevant, and spawning still seems problematic. The saddest thing is that some of the maps that have potential just seem poorly utilized, like the layout on Boneyard.

And Blood Gulch just hasn't aged well, or maybe I'm just different. I mean, I loved playing on Coagulation in Halo 2, even in 4v4 games. If it's the same size now, why does it feel way too huge and empty in Reach? I just hope that community efforts and some design changes from Bungie can make Objective relevant again, because I've always found it more engaging than Team Slayer.

Azar said:
I think the lack of genuinely fun objective matches is a big reason I've played very little Reach so far. I played regularly for a few weeks and then went back to League of Legends on the PC. :lol I still enjoy Reach and find it fun, but there are just too few maps to enjoy and Bungie's objective game design seems to have taken a big step back from Halo 2 and even from Halo 3.

There are simply fewer fun maps to play objective games on, sudden death doesn't really give you enough time to be relevant, and spawning still seems problematic. The saddest thing is that some of the maps that have potential just seem poorly utilized, like the layout on Boneyard.

And Blood Gulch just hasn't aged well, or maybe I'm just different. I mean, I loved playing on Coagulation in Halo 2, even in 4v4 games. If it's the same size now, why does it feel way too huge and empty in Reach? I just hope that community efforts and some design changes from Bungie can make Objective relevant again, because I've always found it more engaging than Team Slayer.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has been thinking this.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Eh, I don't think there's any point to discussing what should be changed with Armor Abilities, bloom or any serious in-game mechanic. Bungie's not going to change/tweak any of those, unforunately.

What we can depend on is Bungie adding more Forge variants and minor MM updates every month. That's about it.

We'll just have to wait for 343i to bring back what makes Halo, Halo. I'm looking forward to that day, too. :)

Domino Theory said:
Eh, I don't think there's any point to discussing what should be changed with Armor Abilities, bloom or any serious in-game mechanic. Bungie's not going to change/tweak any of those, unforunately.

What we can depend on is Bungie adding more Forge variants and minor MM updates every month. That's about it.

We'll just have to wait for 343i to bring back what makes Halo, Halo. I'm looking forward to that day, too. :)

Yeah, I'm really interested to see what they are going to do with the franchise.

In Frankie We Trust!!

GloveSlap

The bloom doesn't work in this game because it takes too many shots to kill someone plus armor abilities on top of it. It works great in Swat for the same reason it works in the Call of Duty games.

MrBig

Striker said:
I sure as hell don't miss Halo 3's awful hit detection, therefore I'm in the camp who favors the mechanics from Reach. How often would shit 'miss' or blood squirt out but it doesn't injure them. Hit-scan ftw.
Hit detection is actually just as shitty in reach, they're just more lenient with what counts. You can see it with the sniper, bulltrues, and killing someone at the same time as he kills you so much more often..
They even use the leniency with hitscan weapons.

By the way, if anybody has a map they'd like to try out or is simply wanting to try some ForgeGAF maps, we're planning on doing ForgeGAF customs at 2pm PST/5pm EST, which is in about 40 minutes. If you're interested just hop on over to the ForgeGAF thread or add me on XBL: BEARCANO

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GloveSlap said:
The bloom doesn't work in this game because it takes too many shots to kill someone plus armor abilities on top of it. It works great in Swat for the same reason it works in the Call of Duty games.

Call of Duty (and every other FPS aside from Reach) offers players a trade-off: Aiming Down Sights.

You can deal with the bloom and inaccuracy when shooting from the hip or you ADS for complete accuracy.

In Reach, you deal with the inaccuracy of shooting from the hip or bust. That's it.

Azar

Lead Based Paint said:
I'm just glad I'm not the only one that has been thinking this.
Yeah, I really have no complaints about Armor Abilities, bloom, blah blah. It's the new system for Reach and I think the new mechanics are fun. Vehicles may be a bit too easy to kill now, and they really fucked up with the beam rifle and somewhat with the plasma launcher. But a stellar Objective playlist is my main hope.

Well, that and a dedicated Rocket Race hopper. It was my most-played playlist in Halo 3, and now there's far less opportunity for griefing. I think the gametype shines far more in its own playlist, because most of the people playing multiteam just want frenetic slayer. Let the few thousand diehard Rocket Race fans have their own hopper plz. :D

Glowingmonx said:
Yeah, I don't understand the complaints about bloom because it's been in every Halo game.

After rapid-firing the DMR, the resulting spread is about the same, if not less, than the the comparable spread from the pistol in that video. I just tested it out.

GloveSlap said:
To kill someone in this game is pretty close to how much time it took to kill someone in Halo 3. Hell, I haven't even noticed a difference. Seems about the same to me, and I've played a lot of Halo 3.

Hey You

Domino Theory said:
Who says they won't?

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
Call of Duty (and every other FPS aside from Reach) offers players a trade-off: Aiming Down Sights.

You can deal with the bloom and inaccuracy when shooting from the hip or you ADS for complete accuracy.

In Reach, you deal with the inaccuracy of shooting from the hip or bust. That's it.
Iron sights are the worst thing to happen to FPS. I wouldn't touch Halo if they were included.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:
Iron sights are the worst thing to happen to FPS. I wouldn't touch Halo if they were included.

I'm not saying ADS should be added to Halo. I'm just pointing out the trade-off other FPS games give the player, that's all.

pakkit

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Worst thing to happen to FPS is stat tracking.
Stopped reading here.

Stat tracking is awesome. I've always valued K/D ratio, and making it visible has made (some, not all) players more careful.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
urk said:
The Carnage Report didn't go out in a single batch. As you might imagine, there are many hundreds of recipients on the list. Playing more Halo may expedite delivery.

Challenges are baked in. We can't introduce new scenarios.

Worst news I've heard all day :( I thought the whole point of them was to be dynamic and vary based on variables you guys manipulate?

Voltron64 said:
Bloom is a terrible addition to Halo. If Halo:CE was released with reticule bloom it would have been right there with Azurik and Brute Force in the bargain bin and the Xbox brand as we know it wouldn't exist.
Hyperbole in this post is amazing, well constructed though. But yeah reticule bloom is one of the best additions to Reach. Sorry its not right trigger to win anymore. If reticule bloom was in Halo 1, it would've gotten 10.1/10 in reviews rather than 10/10.

Striker

MrBig said:
canttellifserious.jpg
First, I do partially agree with him. I loved the simplistic stats and medals we got in 2. All simple ones like kills, assists, deaths, splatters, etc., but the bigger one I know some people miss is hit percentage. Showed a lot for games like Team Snipers when a guy would get 18 kills off 15-16 shots, for instance. I do like the Tool of Destruction idea, too.

re: your post earlier -- the hit-detection in Reach is just so far above 3's. I'm not sure if its even debatable. There's been a couple killed as been killed, but nothing has been over the ordinary, and assuredly never as aggravating as the times I've spent in Halo 3 shooting people I thought was hitting but was not due to no hit-scan. The AA's factoring in do a lot for these encounters, such as the speed and quickness a person can come at you with Sprint, Evade, and Jetpacking from above.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Re: FireFight Commendations

You get 3,000 cR for reaching Gold in the 'Longshot' Commendation.

You get 2,400 cR for reaching Onyx in 'Dome Inspector' Commendation.

wat.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
NameGenerated said:
I like to watch these broadcasts, but do you know when they are gonna be done with Halo 3 as the main game?

This is the final and Championship MLG Event of the 2010 season. Therefore, this is the last event where Halo 3 is the main game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Domino Theory said:
Re: FireFight Commendations

You get 3,000 cR for reaching Gold in the 'Longshot' Commendation.

You get 2,400 cR for reaching Onyx in 'Dome Inspector' Commendation.

wat.
Is there a chart of the bonuses anywhere? I'm almost Onyx for Get Loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom