• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How does one get one of those neat icons next to your name and emblem like the ones that say Halo 2 or ODST?

I feel like I'm missing out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Was looking at my Reach Win 7 theme and this shot rotated. I looked at the fireplace and noticed that someone had designed and modeled a "real" track and wheel hanger system for closing the circular cast iron fireplace door. That's hardcore for an object you see once.

IdIKf.jpg

Z_Y

I would love for somebody to create a story discussion thread. I just finished up the campaign and everybody else has already moved on to MP. :-/ I've been scrolling through the past few days just looking for spoiled text that I can now unspoil.

I would love to read some impressions and parts I may have missed about the story from some of you Halo vets.

MrBig said:
What's wrong with it? I've never played a split screen game where i could get commendations.
From what I've seen, any commendations show up in the top screen (regardless of the player to get it), and they do block the screen quite a bit. Any achievements show up in the bottom screen (regardless of player) and does mostly the same but feels smaller.

This is only for two player splitscreen though.

My major annoyance (UI wise) is just not knowing how I get killed in multiplayer. Having deathspam that says "PlayerX killed PlayerY" is next to useless. Sometimes you see that it was a headshot or something. But I get killed way too many times from something completely unknown to me. I just, well, die. It sucks not knowing what killed you because it makes it impossible to avoid that same fate on your next spawn.

NameGenerated said:
I think he's talking about when the ribbon thing pops up it just completely blocks your main view for like 5 seconds. Slightly annoying, but it rarely happens.
I am indeed. It's a really silly oversight.

NullPointer said:
From what I've seen, any commendations show up in the top screen (regardless of the player to get it), and they do block the screen quite a bit.
No, they show up on both, putting a rectangle right over the middle of your screen. Very annoying.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
Was looking at my Reach Win 7 theme and this shot rotated. I looked at the fireplace and noticed that someone had designed and modeled a "real" track and wheel hanger system for closing the circular cast iron fireplace door. That's hardcore for an object you see once.

IdIKf.jpg
I've noticed a lot of details like that. I can't remember the level - I think it was near the end - but there are some bins of scrap metal and parts lying around. And if you look over the edge into them, the contents are a pile of actual metal scrap, lovingly modeled with geometry, not the textured bin of junk I was expecting. Someone spent time modeling scrap metal you only see if you stop and peer into the bin that you could otherwise run past.

OuterWorldVoice said:

IdIKf.jpg
File folder cut off at top is 'Canon - Old'

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks to all 3 of you, it now says ODST next to my name! I liked that game and I qualified so I had to give it a shot.

All the kids on matchmaking are gonna be so jealous.

wait no I changed to the battle rifle, it's cooler and more exclusive.

Snuggler said:
Thanks to all 3 of you, it now says ODST next to my name! I liked that game and I qualified so I had to give it a shot.

And you will get all the girls!

Deadstar

Anyone figure out how to get four player split screen working for Hemorrhage? The draw distance is so short that it's unplayable.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Deadstar said:
Anyone figure out how to get four player split screen working for Hemorrhage? The draw distance is so short that it's unplayable.

Have no clue but I actually had my first experience with draw distance being limited last night playing Invasion on Spire, there was an Elite on top of a rock by one of the phase one objectives. All I could see was needle rifle fire coming at me from no where, I took a step forward and then he would just appear, I back up a step and then he is gone. Pretty funny but annoying.

LosDaddie

Banned
Snuggler said:

wait no I changed to the battle rifle, it's cooler and more exclusive.

pfft....The Master Chief helmet nameplate is the best one.

MrBig

Deadstar said:
Is it really surprising that a 512mb graphics card can't render the same thing four times and keep a decent draw distance? Theres no way around it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Odd, I just noticed neither of my controllers are using rumble with Reach. Is there a setting or something? Maybe it just wigged out a bit.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Odd, I just noticed neither of my controllers are using rumble with Reach. Is there a setting or something? Maybe it just wigged out a bit.
Sometimes the rumble in my controller stops working for whatever reason.

Zeouterlimits said:
Boom!
Liked reading some of the big critical breakdowns of Reach on HBO, we haven't had 'a lot' of that here.
I'm still trying to work out how best to type up my thoughts, and whether to just focus on storytelling or not.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So Colonel will become available pretty soon, right? I mean, you have to be that for Campaign Matchmaking which is out on Oct. 15th.

NameGenerated said:
So Colonel will become available pretty soon, right? I mean, you have to be that for Campaign Matchmaking which is out on Oct. 15th.
Corporal is the required rank for campaign matchmaking, not Colonel.

Deadstar

MrBig said:
Is it really surprising that a 512mb graphics card can't render the same thing four times and keep a decent draw distance? Theres no way around it.

The strange thing is that the draw distance wasn't bad in Halo 3 on the larger maps. That's what confuses me.

NameGenerated said:

i think you have to be corporal, not colonel or else that is insane.

I think Bungie knows about the crappy draw distances on 4 split-screen because Big Team is limited to 2 per screen. Invasion lets 4 per screen for some reason. Paradiso on 4 player split screen is horrible as well.

I'm about to give up on the multi.

Other players are getting too good and I keep getting in to sniper/swat games, which don't help my frustration level, I just want slayer damnit!

cwmartin

betweenthewheels said:

Other players are getting too good and I keep getting in to sniper/swat games, which don't help my frustration level, I just want slayer damnit!

My k/d cries :(. I need to get better!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
betweenthewheels said:

How long have you been playing? I felt like the worst player in Halo history at first, my kdr in slayer games was about .7 but over the last week or so I've evolved into a pretty decent player and I got my ratio up to .93 as of now.
...but I'm not even that into slayer, I find that objective games are much more fun especially for novice players like myself since it's not entirely focused on the combat.

Has anyone been able to take a screencap from the first mission? I mean the literal first mission
Noble Actual
, where there's no gameplay. It's got some great shots of Reach and of my Spartan. Trouble is that it never shows in my history or fileshare. It just jumps straight to Mission Two
Winter Contigency
and doesn't include the Mission One
Noble Actual
cutscenes.

Help?

Chorazin

betweenthewheels said:

Take a deep breath, relax, and maybe take a break until Tuesday when SWAT gets dropped from the Slayer plist and the frequency of Sniper appearing to vote on is greatly reduced.

Chorazin said:
Take a deep breath, relax, and maybe take a break until Tuesday when SWAT gets dropped from the Slayer plist and the frequency of Sniper appearing to vote on is greatly reduced.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip

Deadstar

I'm tired of getting into "Pro" games with no abilities other than running. I think that there should be a playlist that is team slayer with everything unlocked every time.

cwmartin

betweenthewheels said:
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip

Want to play together sometime this weekend? I'm pretty much in the same boat, haven't played much of halo since early Halo 3, getting destroyed in many of my games and need to get better, haha.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Random thought, but I think the psych profile actually does work. I chose the polite option and in about 10 or so hours of Reach matchmaking I have yet to come across any of the rude or obnoxious people that seemed to be everywhere in Halo 3. It's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom