• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snuggler said:
Random thought, but I think the psych profile actually does work. I chose the polite option and in about 10 or so hours of Reach matchmaking I have yet to come across any of the rude or obnoxious people that seemed to be everywhere in Halo 3. It's nice.
Same here. Besides one asshole teammate trying to drop our shields for fun, its been 100% positive besides. I still can't fully believe it.

voltron

Has anyone analysed all the weird symbols/poster/pictures/imagery on the walls in Winter Contingency? Theres some weird shit, like that poster with the rows of dudes all of a certain colour with one of the dudes in the bottom row 2nd from the right being a different colour.

Any chance some of that stuff is hints for the next game?

Magni

Thagomizer said:
HBO has one of the worst forums ever. Who designs something where you have to click on every individual post to read them?

Arrrrghh

Click on "Set preferences" and select Compressed List/Guestbook/UBB order. Congratulations =)

Oozer3993

Thagomizer said:
HBO has one of the worst forums ever. Who designs something where you have to click on every individual post to read them?

Arrrrghh

Go to Preferences, and change List Style to Compressed, Display Style to Guestbook, and Sort Order to UBB. Boom, normal forum.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Had my first shitty Betrayal experience everyone else has been complaining about.

It was BTB, we were down by 10+ and the other team had 73 kills. IE the game was ending in like 30 fucking seconds. I'm driving a warthog and lose control (someone was shelling me) and run over my teammate. I'm booted from the game... no points awarded :(

I was one of the few members on my team that was k/d positive, too.

Edit: For the record I agree with those that believe much of the booting is unintentional. People are in the heat of battle and just hit "A" without thinking about it. I DON'T think the betrayal system needs to be changed. It just needs to be moved to a different button!

MagniHarvald said:
Click on "Set preferences" and select Compressed List/Guestbook/UBB order. Congratulations =)
Do not mess with me... I have been going to that forum for nearly a decade now, if what I think is about to happen happens I may fall out of my chair.

brb possibly changing my life.

Edit: Wow... That's almost somehow uglier :p. I am amazed that you can change it, that was news to me.. But I think I will leave it like it was.

Hugbot

Devin Olsen said:
Do not mess with me... I have been going to that forum for nearly a decade now, if what I think is about to happen happens I may fall out of my chair.

brb possibly changing my life.
Yeah, holy shit. I haven't been in quite a while but I am in shock over here. This is nuts.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dammmmn I almost got both multikill challenges in 1 game. Soooo close. Oh and if you get a triple kill, it counts as 2 multikills. I got the 5 in 1 game, I just need 1 more now to get the other.

Magni

Hugbot said:
Yeah, holy shit. I haven't been in quite a while but I am in shock over here. This is nuts.

I love how every time I bring this up all those who didn't know are "WOW HOLY SHIT" :lol Been browsing the HBO forums since '04, actively posted between '06 and '08, though since I was accepted on GAF my presence there has been vastly reduced to not say annihilated..

Why isn't the drop shield available in team slayer games? Seems a waste of an AA..

EDIT: What gametypes are you guys playing whilst getting this Multiplier challenge? Big stuff like Invasion and BTB?

Ugh just had to quit an invasion game, it started fine and lag free then out of nowhere about 15 seconds in it jumps into a host migration, no one quit and the match resumes with everyone on red ping bars, I died by falling about 5 foot because the lag made me keep repositioning and while fighting someone I was shooting them and 5 seconds later I take damage from a melee which should have missed, the lag was weird because it was like everyone else was fine, no way I could stick around in a mess like that.

The game goes into host migration way too often at the start of a round, why not do it before the match launches?

Anarchistry

Snuggler said:
Random thought, but I think the psych profile actually does work. I chose the polite option and in about 10 or so hours of Reach matchmaking I have yet to come across any of the rude or obnoxious people that seemed to be everywhere in Halo 3. It's nice.
I figured that it wouldn't work if I didf it. Good to know it does!

Kapura

Banned
Looks like Sketch dropped by Optimatch to answer a few random questions. Good to know they are actively addressing the perceived problems with the system, although it looks like nothing's going to happen until the october playlist update.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
For those who want today's multiplayer challenges go into multi-team. Seriously. I got the mulltikill ones and the 77 kills one in 3 games lol.

Kapura said:
Looks like Sketch dropped by Optimatch to answer a few random questions. Good to know they are actively addressing the perceived problems with the system, although it looks like nothing's going to happen until the october playlist update.

Now all they need to do is fix the assists system. Hopefully Sketch or Urk can provide some insight on that.

ElRenoRaven

NullPointer said:
Same here. Besides one asshole teammate trying to drop our shields for fun, its been 100% positive besides. I still can't fully believe it.

Well you two are lucky. I found that it has never worked for me.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kapura said:
Linky?

Scarecrow

is there a list of all the symbols you can get by your gamertag? I've seen people with the DMR and 'HALO' next to their names, which don't show up on the site for me.

The Bungie forums are terrifying.

--------------------

"i agree
i want to play AR team slayer"

--------------------

"Please give us a SWAT playlist I've played for the last 3 days and haven't seen it once. I'm annoyed by it because it's all I usually played on halo 2 and 3 and now I can't play it. I bought the game so I didn't have to buy 20 dollars worth of maps and all I get is elite slayer I mean seriously why can't I play swat. I mean I haven't even seen it often and when I do it's not voted for. So bungie please give us swat I mean it's been on every other halo game as a stand alone playlist. I bought the game for it and I want to play it more then once a week.

To those that think it a niche playlist fine you won't ever have to see it or at least vote for it as you play your slayer but I for one don't want to have to drudge through countless slayer games just to get the chance to play swat and then that chance is taken away from me before I even get to play it."

---------------------

Jesus Christ! I've done the last mission on Heroic again, after the achievement not unlocking, from the very start, and they haven't unlocked.

It looks like I managed to completely skip the last mission to go on to complete
the survival level

I need closure, dammit!

NH Apache

Banned
Chinner said:
what they should do is make a team tatical playlist and put swat, snipers and headhunter in there.

I agree with the exception of headhunter. Wasn't there a hardcore playlist in 2 that had swat/snipes?

GDJustin

Re: Assists - I don't understand the problem, because EVERYONE is effected by the new assists system.

It isn't hurting your Arena ranking/rating, because the other 7 players in the match with you are being judged by the same criteria.

If it were somehow inconsistent, I would understand. But that's not the issue. I just see it at a bunch of QQ because less assists are being handed out, period.

If assists were handed out more readily, it would encourage team behaviours that dole out assists. Since assists are currently stingy, players play more aggressively against their teammates. There are 'guides' to the Arena circulating that explicitly state that because you are unlikely to get the assist, you should not call out a one-shot opponent, for instance.

It's not hard to grasp.

Also one game of Multiteam gave me Multiplier. SWAT is good for something!

Arnie

Shake Appeal said:
If assists were handed out more readily, it would encourage team behaviours that dole out assists. Since assists are currently stingy, players play more aggressively against their teammates. There are 'guides' to the Arena circulating that explicitly state that because you are unlikely to get the assist, you should not call out a one-shot opponent, for instance.

It's not hard to grasp.

This. Assists are broken. They don't encourage team play whatsoever which I thought was the point of an assist.

TommyT

he current system will be getting some tweaks. also in Firefight friendly fire will be disabled entirely as of the October update.

Other things that contribute to a betrayal that people don't realize:

- all damage done - not just the killing blow - but repeated light damage also accrues against the player.

- when a round ends and you have that few seconds to screw around, that time still counts, and people usually like to hit and blow up each other then because the match has 'ended'

The team is aware of instances where the current system is not forgiving enough or isn't entirely working as designed. They're on it.

:O

GDJustin

Shake Appeal said:

It's not hard to grasp.

The 'guide' was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and was just a stealth Bungie troll/complaint. It advocated betraying your teammate if he got rockets first, because in the end you would net more points than you lost. What does THAT have to do with assists?

I'm confident that people just don't like the new assists system because it is different from the old, and people hate pretty much any change, of any kind.

Imagine if the current assist system is the one we've ALWAYS had, for a moment. Then, after several Halo games, it was CHANGED so that they were given out much more frequently. Basically, imagine the situation is reverse.

People would be complaining that assists are WAY too easy to get. That players just run around putting a couple shots into everyone, in order to rack up assists. That it's insane that someone gets an assist when they didn't even do 50% damage. "Why should someone else earn an assist, when I did more than 60% of the damage AND got the kill?" etc etc etc.

And again, I'd like to emphasize that IN NO WAY does the new system harm your rating. Because everyone you are playing with is under the same rules.

Kapura

Banned
GDJustin said:
Re: Assists - I don't understand the problem, because EVERYONE is effected by the new assists system.

It isn't hurting your Arena ranking/rating, because the other 7 players in the match with you are being judged by the same criteria.

If it were somehow inconsistent, I would understand. But that's not the issue. I just see it at a bunch of QQ because less assists are being handed out, period.
It's not about how much I'm being compared as opposed to others, but it's bullshit that it doesn't accurately represent how I'm playing. The 5 second rule in regards to assists is absolutely ridiculous. Why does it matter when I last shot at him if I've done enough damage?

Snuggler said:

It's been really, really weird for me. I'm nearing about 20 hours into mp and hardly no one I've played with uses a mic despite me turning on the chatty option. These are people who aren't in parties either as you can tell if they are in one in the pre-game lobby. I even switched to Rowdy to see if it would make a difference, but it's still dead quiet. My theory was that everyone has been too lazy to adjust their profile so the vast majority are on no preference or default settings. I could be wrong though.

It's just so weird, because my first online experience with Halo mp was Halo 3 and it was a cesspool of racist, obnoxious or just downright annoying teenagers that never shut up. Now I barely hear a peep out of anyone.

Victrix

*beard*
GillianSeed79 said:
It's just so weird, because my first online experience with Halo mp was Halo 3 and it was a cesspool of racist, obnoxious or just downright annoying teenagers that never shut up. Now I barely hear a peep out of anyone.

Clearly everyone you have played with is already auto-muted, because that IS the xbl population

TommyT

Kapura said:
It's not about how much I'm being compared as opposed to others, but it's bullshit that it doesn't accurately represent how I'm playing. The 5 second rule in regards to assists is absolutely ridiculous. Why does it matter when I last shot at him if I've done enough damage?

Because if the damage you did 30 seconds ago has healed since then why would you get an assist?

GDJustin

Kapura said:

Because everyone you're playing with is also subject to the same rule. So if the rule made you get a lower rating, it also made everyone else int he game get the SAME lower rating.

Hugbot

GDJustin said:
The 'guide' was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and was just a stealth Bungie troll/complaint. It advocated betraying your teammate if he got rockets first, because in the end you would net more points than you lost. What does THAT have to do with assists?

I'm confident that people just don't like the new assists system because it is different from the old, and people hate pretty much any change, of any kind.

Imagine if the current assist system is the one we've ALWAYS had, for a moment. Then, after several Halo games, it was CHANGED so that they were given out much more frequently. Basically, imagine the situation is reverse.

People would be complaining that assists are WAY too easy to get. That players just run around putting a couple shots into everyone, in order to rack up assists. That it's insane that someone gets an assist when they didn't even do 50% damage. "Why should someone else earn an assist, when I did more than 60% of the damage AND got the kill?" etc etc etc.

And again, I'd like to emphasize that IN NO WAY does the new system harm your rating. Because everyone you are playing with is under the same rules.
At a certain point you're just arguing against something that would further incentivise good team play and arguing for change-for-change's-sake.

Speaking of betrayal, I had 4 on me today and none of them allowed me to kick the player, half of them were accidents but since no kick screen appeared they would have gotten away with it.

Also sometimes my partner in invasion will for no reason at all melee me when he spawns in to remove my shields, or other players will run past and hit me while i'm out in the battle, I have no idea if they are just trying to get me killed or pissing about.

Kapura

Banned
GDJustin said:
Because everyone you're playing with is also subject to the same rule. So if the rule made you get a lower rating, it also made everyone else int he game get the SAME lower rating.
Kapura said:
It's not about how much I'm being compared as opposed to others, but it's bullshit that it doesn't accurately represent how I'm playing.

GDJustin

Hugbot said:
At a certain point you're just arguing against something that would further incentivise good team play and arguing for change-for-change's-sake.

Do you believe I'm at that point? Your post doesn't seem to take a stand ;) I don't think I am.

I am arguing that the new system does MORE to encourage team play. Before I could just run around, making NO effort to get kills, and just try to spray every opponent with a few shots. I would rake in assists, and rake in arena ranking.

This new system forces players to actually make a deliberate effort to take down an opponent. When you do significant damage to an opponent but fail to kill him, and your buddy comes in and gets the kill... bam, assist. If you didn't do significant damage, no assist. To me, it makes complete sense. To me, the "assist" medal is an "almost got a kill" medal.

What I think lies at the heart of this isn't team play dynamics, though. I think people, deep down, are disappointed that they are now getting less shinies than they used to. They used to get 12 assists and now they get 6 and don't like it. The timing for multikills is currently 4 seconds. If Bungie changed it to 3 seconds people would lose their minds. Even thogh *everyone* would then be getting less multikills.

Noticing something about the Arena: when I play on Countdown, Zealot, or to a lesser extent Asylum, I am more likely to win. Whereas I get consistently donged on Reflection, Pinnacle, and Boardwalk.

So symmetrical with fewer power weapons is good for me. Asymmetrical with rockets and snipers is bad.

Edit: also the game just gave me Slayer Pro on Countdown with two Golds and an Onyx on my team, so I think we've got this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom