• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
It's really, really bad. It's like throwing handfuls of pebbles at your enemies

Whereas the magnum is like a scalpel flung right into their eye.
A lot of the complaining on GAF is about how overpowered the AR is, since it got boosted from the Beta. Though in my experience, the pistol is still better at close range, especially since its recoil was removed (yay!). The AR is quite useful in Firefight and Campaign, though.

Kuroyume

Banned
The AR isn't bad at all. It's overpowered both in range and damage all due to the changes from the beta. The only way I would agree that it sucks is if you're talking about wether or not it's fun to use. It's definitely not fun to use. I like non automatic weapons.

GhaleonEB said:
A lot of the complaining on GAF is about how overpowered the AR is, since it got boosted from the Beta. Though in my experience, the pistol is still better at close range, especially since its recoil was removed (yay!). The AR is quite useful in Firefight and Campaign, though.
I think the AR is pretty useful in multiplayer, but those two areas are what really matter for me. The AR is beastly in campaign.

Self Induced said:
If I wanted to feel like the AR was powerful I'd play on Normal. Even on Heroic (how Halo is meant to be played, apparently) the AR feels like a pea shooter.
You must have not used it at all on Heroic, then. The AR takes down Elites like nobody's business. I was playing Long Night of Solace this morning and it was dropping Elites like rocks.

GhaleonEB said:
The AR is quite useful in Firefight and Campaign, though.
If I wanted to feel like the AR was powerful I'd play on Normal. Even on Heroic (how Halo is meant to be played, apparently) the AR feels like a pea shooter.

I wish it was more like assault rifles in other games, which are invariably more fun to fire. I think it's more that it feels imprecise and unfun to use more than that it's not actually effective. In no way does it need a boost.

The magnum, meanwhile, feels like you are holding all human possibility for love and joy in your sweaty palm.

Shake Appeal said:
I wish it was more like assault rifles in other games, which are invariably more fun to fire. I think it's more that it feels imprecise and unfun to use more than that it's not actually effective. In no way does it need a boost.

The magnum, meanwhile, feels like you are holding all human possibility for love and joy in your sweaty palm.

I've accepted the AR as a necessary evil. I didn't enjoy it in Halo 3 and I don't really enjoy it in Reach but it has its place. My only real weapons complaints would be that the Plasma Launcher is kind of meh and the Focus Rifle needs more power. And, yes, Dax, the Grenade Launcher should explode on contact regardless of range. It's not as true to "real" grenade launchers, but it is more fun that way.

I really like Atom now but only in Team Slayer. Cliffhanger still feels weak to me but I don't dislike it as much as others seem to. At the very least these two have whet my appetite for future Community Maps.

Shake Appeal said:
Wait, you say you wish its effective like in other games, yet you say it shouldn't need a boost?

Wouldn't it be a fun weapon to use if it actually did some damage? In my experience, pistol beats out AR at close range almost every single time, making it a throwaway weapon not worth using. Every weapon in the sandbox has a role except the AR and Plasma Repeater, I'd like to see what it would be like for the AR and PR to get a damage boost and actually feel useful for once.

Shake Appeal said:

This 100%

Im not sure what could be done to the AR to make it more fun to use, but nothing about it feels satisfying, it feels very bland even compared to similar weapons like the Spiker and Needler. Maybe its just because it hasnt got the cool sound effects and visuals that come with other guns, perception is pretty important in deciding how a gun feels.

I very much prefer precision weapons over Assualt rifles, and mostly its because I feel like im in control of them a lot more.

Bregmann Roche said:
I've accepted the AR as a necessary evil. I didn't enjoy it in Halo 3 and I don't really enjoy it in Reach but it has its place. My only real weapons complaints would be that the Plasma Launcher is kind of meh and the Focus Rifle needs more power. And, yes, Dax, the Grenade Launcher should explode on contact regardless of range. It's not as true to "real" grenade launchers, but it is more fun that way.

I really like Atom now but only in Team Slayer. Cliffhanger still feels weak to me but I don't dislike it as much as others seem to. At the very least these two have whet my appetite for future Community Maps.
*two thumbs up*

I already dong on people with the grenade launcher, and you want to make it more powerful?! People might actually start using it, then, and I'd have competition for it at the start of Sword Base/Powerhouse. No thank you!

Shake Appeal said:
love the grenade launcher. More kills with it than the AR, 4.25 K/D. :lol
Any pointers on the GL? I can't seem to do squat with it. I find myself relying on the EMP burst, as I just can't seem to do much otherwise.

I feel like I'm doing a Game A vs Game B, but I feel this may be different.

I enjoyed MW2 as a break from Halo-style of shooting (quick kill, look down-sight, etc), but Black Ops makes me wonder why I ever liked COD in the first place.

I simply appreciate the sheer talent and devotion Bungie has put into Reach. Sure it has it's bugs, but it is more fun to play and has a billion times better netcode than Treyarch's latest offering - Reach just feels more... elegant.

feel

DJ Lushious said:
Any pointers on the GL? I can't seem to do squat with it. I find myself relying on the EMP burst, as I just can't seem to do much otherwise.
Bounce the shots against the floor.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TheOddOne said:
Never, going, to, happen.
It's nice to dream is all.
Ajemsuhgao said:
:lol

None of these will happen obviously, but, why Campaign Forge? I'd rather have custom settings for campaign(weapon starts, health, movement speed, etc.) than Forge options for it. Hell, I'd rather have Firefight Forge than Campaign. :lol
Either would be nice.

DJ Lushious said:
I use the EMP burst almost exclusively, as you have to be insanely confident about the trajectory otherwise (I fired a straight shot at three guys in the damaged corridor of Sword Base this morning and got a kill, an assist, and then a double kill with a follow-up headshot, but they were pretty tightly packed in a confined space). The EMP burst kills just fine, anyway. Like Letters said, bounce shots up at opponents off the floor. Have a magnum/DMR for headshot cleanup.

Same game I got a GL kill on someone running up to the high vent from the attic because I could see them sprinting past the glass of break room and angled the shot in to meet them. :lol

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:

Heh. The magnum is the only gun that I don't like the feedback loop on. Visually it just looks chunky, and feels weak to fire. The impact is nice of course (parity with the DMR), but I just don't like using it. Its efficacy feels out of proportion with the feedback.

Speaking of weapons, is it me or is the Concussion Rifle much more useful for the Covenant than for players? On our Legendary co-op run, my friend and I started calling it 'that gun that's great for them and sucks for us' because when we use it, it knocks Covenant around like pinballs. But we get murdered left and right when on the receiving end. Even on Heroic, it just knocks Grunts around. But two shots and I'm toast. In Halo 3 the Brute Shot was basically the same weapon, but it was actually powerful to use. I can't remember another weapon that had such a schism in the previous games.

The Concussion Rifle is so cheap that way. Against Covenant it seems to do almost nothing apart from the knockback effect.

One of the best trolling weapons in MP, though, just because you can juggle people with it.

I actually use it if I can find it against hunters a lot, it strips their back armor off really well.

I love it MP, especially on countdown where I can knock people off the cliff with it as the head out the lift. :lol

Shake Appeal said:
The Concussion Rifle is so cheap that way. Against Covenant it seems to do almost nothing apart from the knockback effect.

One of the best trolling weapons in MP, though, just because you can juggle people with it.
I feel like they reduced the fire rate on it a few weeks back though... I couldn't spam the trigger nearly as fast.

GhaleonEB said:
Heh. The magnum is the only gun that I don't like the feedback loop on. Visually it just looks chunky, and feels weak to fire.

Getting the headshot with the last bullet then casually dropping the magazine and reloading is one of the moments in Reach that makes me feel strongest. Which I guess doesn't address your concern that actually firing the weapon feels weak...but I wouldn't change a thing about it.

As for the Covenant using secret techniques to make their weapons do more damage against us: what about the Shade Turret???? My GOD. On Legendary that thing fires a stream of plasma death at me. When I try to turn the infernal contraption against its makers? Nothing.

GhaleonEB

Bregmann Roche said:
Getting the headshot with the last bullet then casually dropping the magazine and reloading is one of the moments in Reach that makes me feel strongest. Which I guess doesn't address your concern that actually firing the weapon feels weak...but I wouldn't change a thing about it.
Yeah I really like how it's balanced. It just feels pew pew pew to fire to me. No biggie though.

As for the Covenant using secret techniques to make their weapons do more damage against us: what about the Shade Turret???? My GOD. On Legendary that thing fires a stream of plasma death at me. When I try to turn the infernal contraption against its makers? Nothing.
OMG, this is so true. Streams of plasma death on Legendary. Nightfall and the beginning of The Package just destroyed me on my solo run. :lol

Oozer3993

Major Williams said:
I feel like I'm doing a Game A vs Game B, but I feel this may be different.

I enjoyed MW2 as a break from Halo-style of shooting (quick kill, look down-sight, etc), but Black Ops makes me wonder why I ever liked COD in the first place.

I simply appreciate the sheer talent and devotion Bungie has put into Reach. Sure it has it's bugs, but it is more fun to play and has a billion times better netcode than Treyarch's latest offering - Reach just feels more... elegant.

Reach = Lightsaber, Black Ops = Blaster

I hate the pistol. I drop it for something else and keep the AR.

I'm not too crazy about the magnum myself. Even though it's not as bad as it was in the Beta, I still cannot see the reticule for shit, and like Ghaleon said, something about its feedback feels insubstantial and, to me, unsatisfying.

Weirdly, I have the exact same K/D ratio with the magnum and DMR, the latter of which I absolutely adore and is by far and away my most used weapon. I do not know what this means.

Sai-kun

Banned
Falt said:
A fully functional Armoury on b.net would be my guess at "it".

Edit:
Weekly
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts - 5000cR
Win 50 games in multiplayer Matchmaking this week

Daily
Shootin' and Lootin' - 2500cR
Kill 250 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

A Great Friend - 2000cR
Earn 30 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

I Need Some Ammo - 500cR
Complete a Campaign mission on Heroic or harder with the Famine Skull on.

Watersports - 800cR
Kill 100 enemies on Waterfront on Heroic in Firefight Matchmaking
I was so first and you know it. The challenges weren't even up at 4:40! I know you edited :p

chess

I love the pistol pistol. I bet my ratio's are similar to Shake's.

(competitive)
Pistol
Kills 352 Deaths 70 KDR 5.02
AR
Kills 10 Deaths 97 KDR 0.10

Falt

Pistol feels solid, if it weren't for melee it would be my number 2. As for the AR, I always feel unsure at anything past spitting distance.

Sai-kun said:
I was so first and you know it. The challenges weren't even up at 4:40! I know you edited :p
Oh, I edited. I edited hard.

edit.jpg

Gui_PT

I used the AR a lot when the game came out because I haven't quited figured out how to use the Pistol accurately. But after learning the Pistol, I forgot about the AR. Except for Assist Challenges, the AR is awesome for taking shields out :lol

Sai-kun

Banned
Falt said:
Pistol feels solid, if it weren't for melee it would be my number 2. As for the AR, I always feel unsure at anything past spitting distance.

Oh, I edited. I edited hard.

edit.jpg

I'm still first. :lol Hate you.

I <3 the pistol, but it's a fickle mistress. When I'm just playing bad I'll stop using it because I can't get the timing down or I just can't land the headshot. I actually really like the sound it makes, and love the animations. Interestingly, the removal of standard recoil makes the gun much easier to use, but I think it makes it feel less powerful than it did in the beta.

some times I use it as a VERY blunt instrument, because 4 shots-> Mellee can even take out an AR guy who got the jump on you if you time it perfectly.

Blunt instrument: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=6556057&player=electricpirate

Pure pistol triple kill (with a little help from my friends) http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=764643&player=electricpirate

chess

I love the pistol field of view and way it "pops" with some bite to it. I'd almost use it exclusively if the reloads didn't always get me in trouble with just trading kills. I need to do more with other weapons first and switch to it. The no bloom headshot accuracy just feels better than the DMR. Even though I know it's not.

Self Induced said:

Even on legendary the AR is great at taking down grunts, so...no.

vhfive

cuevas said:
Even on legendary the AR is great at taking down grunts, so...no.
wat. I played some campaign today and all this talk about the AR made me use it and it sucked. I kept using it through out the level to see if I was doing something wrong (and because famine was on and I start with 600 bullets) but nope the gun is just not as good as the other options. Yes it can kill grunts but why spray a grunt for about 3 secs when you can kill one in an instant with one pistol shot and f you're hurting for ammo then just use the plasma pistol you should always have in your other weapon slot it kills grunts just as fast (if not faster).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom