• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gui_PT said:
I used the AR a lot when the game came out because I haven't quited figured out how to use the Pistol accurately. But after learning the Pistol, I forgot about the AR. Except for Assist Challenges, the AR is awesome for taking shields out :lol
Absolutely. I used the AR all of the time in my solo legendary run. Its easier to use to take down Elite ubershields when the enemy is dancing all over the place. Shields drop, switch to a secondary weapon for the kill, or keep plugging them with the AR if you've got the ammo.

I loves me my AR. And my DMR. And my jetpack, and my.... yeah. There's a lot to love in Reach.

I just need more maps and a better BTB playlist. And Legendary Firefight. And versus. OK, I'll stop now.

GhaleonEB

There were several sections of the camaign where I was out of Nerfle and DMR ammo and wished I'd used the AR more to save them. I can think of three places where I was stuck for a very long time with table scraps for weapons.
NullPointer said:
I think the beginning of "The Package" is one of the worst if I'm remembering right. You start off with a few unhelpful ODSTs, and two measly clips each of DMR and AR ammo.

You face off against multiple shade turrets, ghosts, a sniper perch, and a bunch of grunts with fuel rod cannons. Starting from a position in the water.

That's just sadistic and wrong. You'd think that Spartans would I dunno, stock up better for these kinds of things.
Yup. And the smelter area in PoA, and the turret area of Nightfall. And I ran out on the last area of PoA, even after the "hidden" DMR stashes, and ended up camping inside the rooms to thin out packs. Next time around, the AR will get some love and I'll save the DMR rounds for later.

GhaleonEB said:
There were several sections of the camaign where I was out of Nerfle and DMR ammo and wished I'd used the AR more to save them. I can think of three places where I was stuck for a very long time with table scraps for weapons.
I think the beginning of "The Package" is one of the worst if I'm remembering right. You start off with a few unhelpful ODSTs, and two measly clips each of DMR and AR ammo.

You face off against multiple shade turrets, ghosts, a sniper perch, and a bunch of grunts with fuel rod cannons. Starting from a position in the water.

That's just sadistic and wrong. You'd think that Spartans would I dunno, stock up better for these kinds of things.

NullPointer said:
I thought grunts had a natural resistance to plasma damage. Did that change in Reach?
Grunts have never had this resistance you speak of. The plasma pistol was just really weak in Halo 2 and 3, but in Reach its been given a huge power boost.

Self Induced said:
Grunts have never had this resistance you speak of. The plasma pistol was just really weak in Halo 2 and 3, but in Reach its been given a huge power boost.
I could've sworn I read that somewhere. Maybe the Prima guide for Halo 3?

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
I could've sworn I read that somewhere. Maybe the Prima guide for Halo 3?
In general, plasma does less damage to flesh than bullets do. So you may have read a specific recommendation for dispatching Grunts based off that dynamic.

At any rate, anytime I actually try to use the AR on Grunts in Firefight - I usually just run for more DMR ammo - it's surprisingly effective. I can quickly dispatch three from medium range in a single clip, using short pulses.

The nice thing about the Reach sandbox is there are a lot of viable options. The AR, Plasma Pistol, Rifle, Repeater, etc. are all effective as secondary non-headshot weapons. And everyone can just pick their favorite and run with it.

NH Apache

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
winnar.png

21 people sent me messages and the winner of the Legendary crap is NH Apache. Everyone else, well you are a bunch of losers. Sucks to be you. :D

So guess what I just got in the mail!

du51J.jpg

xxjuicesxx went way out of his way to send this legendary edition all the way down here. I really wanted to say THANKS A BUNCH for doing this and seriously people, hire juices™.

Here is the statue with another rep of the Apache clan...

HArVk.jpg

I had no idea that Halsey's journal would be so detailed. I'll definitely be spending some quality time over the next few days reading through it.

Now I'm out to take my GF to dinner so I can negotiate a good spot in the house for the statue.

Thanks again Juices!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhaleonEB said:
In general, plasma does less damage to flesh than bullets do. So you may have read a specific recommendation for dispatching Grunts based off that dynamic.

At any rate, anytime I actually try to use the AR on Grunts in Firefight - I usually just run for more DMR ammo - it's surprisingly effective. I can quickly dispatch three from medium range in a single clip, using short pulses.

The nice thing about the Reach sandbox is there are a lot of viable options. The AR, Plasma Pistol, Rifle, Repeater, etc. are all effective as secondary non-headshot weapons. And everyone can just pick their favorite and run with it.
I personally feel like Reach has the most balanced and versatile weapon set of any Halo game. Seriously, I can find every single weapon advantageous in different situations. I use EVERY weapon in one case or another. Only the concussion rifle is the one that seems to have the most limited uses, and even still it packs a (disorienting) punch.

enzo_gt said:
I personally feel like Reach has the most balanced and versatile weapon set of any Halo game. Seriously, I can find every single weapon advantageous in different situations. I use EVERY weapon in one case or another. Only the concussion rifle is the one that seems to have the most limited uses, and even still it packs a (disorienting) punch.
Gotta agree with this. Everything just feel right. I've even come to appreciate the post-beta plasma launcher and grenade launcher. Just need to find if there's any goodness to the brute nailgun and splaser.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
NullPointer said:
Gotta agree with this. Everything just feel right. I've even come to appreciate the post-beta plasma launcher and grenade launcher. Just need to find if there's any goodness to the brute nailgun and splaser.
I don't know if I'm willing to make this claim but, might be the most balanced weaponset in any FPS I've played. And I completely forgot about the Spike and Splaser :lol The stark absence of these weapons in competitive MP is so odd. Though, Splaser serves it's purpose well, even though it feels kind of underpowered. How come one laser doesn't destroy wraiths and tanks anymore?

The Spiker I haven't even used enough to know.

Veelk

Banned
The Splaser is on paradiso, at the top of the structure on the edge of the map. I just don't think it spawns until like 5 minutes into the match or something.

Falt

I'm not a fan of the cage, not by a long shot but the cage seems to work in Doubles Arena. I've been playing a lot of doubles and it comes up quite a bit. Cutting the player count to four fixes it somehow.

Lazslo

Oh man I was 1 person away from winning that LE- but oh well, you deserve it Apache. Juices you are a very nice person, that was really kind of you- Most people would never do that so I applaud you. Thanks for keeping HaloGaf Classy.

Striker said:
So is it unanimous that The Cage should be tossed in the bin with Isoloation and Epitaph and thrown off a cliff?
Absolutely not- The Cage might be my favorite map on the disk. It offers a lot variety and flows pretty good, I don't understand why people dislike the Cage. But just as a sidebar: I liked Isolation but I HATE Snowbound with a passion. Worst. Map. Ever.

vhfive

cuevas said:
But why would I use plasma on an unshielded enemy?
Why would you use anything besides a headshot weapon? You wouldn't unless you were playing on one of the harder difficulties and were trying to conserve ammo for elites. If that's the case then using PP against grunts is just as effective as the AR and you always have one on you (at least you should). If you spam the trigger as fast as you can you'll be very suprised how fast those little bastards fall.

EDIT: the cage is a shit map

GhaleonEB

Almost forgot to mention. After a couple of (hilariously) failed attempts at the 1m Challenge/Achievement, I just did the 1m in 10 minute thing. The legit attempts made it clear it would be beyond hard and into almost excruciatingly difficult and time consuming. Was fun as heck though; my daughter had a hoot with her run as well.

I tried doing a solo endless Score Attack run on Heroic at first, by just removing the time and Round limits. I was kind of expecting each Set to the be the same, but they weren't. After the Bonus Round, a different mix of skulls activated. And then the normal Grunt wave, followed by...Brutes?! No Nerfle to fall back on. Then Skirmishers, then...HUNTERS?! Ten Hunters all at once to deal with solo, with no power weapons. I spent 10-15 minutes running laps and couldn't even take one down. Not even sure how it's possible. :lol

Just a handful of MP-related Achievements to go.

So have only a few achievements left to get, and they're mostly firefight ones. Any tips on the 200,000 and 1,000,000 score games? And no, I'm not looking to cheese through them. Although I'll probably tweak the settings so Black Eye never appears. Do I need a full group on 4 on legendary?

And I'm NEVER going to get that one where you have to break your fall with an assassination. I gave it a solid go and tried until my hate boiled at whoever came up with such a stupid, asinine, touchy and broken "achievement".

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
Almost forgot to mention. After a couple of (hilariously) failed attempts at the 1m Challenge/Achievement, I just did the 1m in 10 minute thing. The legit attempts made it clear it would be beyond hard and into almost excruciatingly difficult and time consuming. Was fun as heck though; my daughter had a hoot with her run as well..

The 1m in ten minutes run is fun as heck despite being covered in cheese. I can't imagine slogging it through hours of Hunters and Brutes even coming as close to those ten or twenty minutes.

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
Almost forgot to mention. After a couple of (hilariously) failed attempts at the 1m Challenge/Achievement, I just did the 1m in 10 minute thing. The legit attempts made it clear it would be beyond hard and into almost excruciatingly difficult and time consuming. Was fun as heck though; my daughter had a hoot with her run as well.

I tried doing a solo endless Score Attack run on Heroic at first, by just removing the time and Round limits. I was kind of expecting each Set to the be the same, but they weren't. After the Bonus Round, a different mix of skulls activated. And then the normal Grunt wave, followed by...Brutes?! No Nerfle to fall back on. Then Skirmishers, then...HUNTERS?! Ten Hunters all at once to deal with solo, with no power weapons. I spent 10-15 minutes running laps and couldn't even take one down. Not even sure how it's possible. :lol

Just a handful of MP-related Achievements to go.
Yeah, I was thinking that at first, and then I tried the cheesy way and it was just an absolute blast jetpacking around and getting Killionaires. I don't regret it at all.

GhaleonEB

enzo_gt said:
Does gruntpocalypse on Waterfront count as on Heroic difficulty? Why doesn't Bungie make this shit clear?

Been said, but to be clear - all of the Firefight matchmaking is on Heroic, so you can do regular or Score Attack, of any variety.

Willeth

Rolled over onto Colonel Grade 3 tonight. Maybe Brig by the end of the week, if we get some decent challenge rewards.

Then I'll have to find myself a new goal. Maybe buying all the FF voices.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Can we start getting credit penalties for quitting. Quitters are fucking infuriating. :|

Get a kickass start on Paradiso triple killing the Scorpion and Hog, shortly after two teammates quit out. WTF.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhaleonEB said:
Been said, but to be clear - all of the Firefight matchmaking is on Heroic, so you can do regular or Score Attack, of any variety.
Its kind of arbitrarily put to do it on "Heroic" in the challenges, and is never mentioned in-game that they are all on Heroic difficulty. Having to read it up online doesn't make it clear. Thanks for the clarifications though.

And, as of today:
gxLQP.png

Gold Visor is mine!
34r99wx.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
I like The Cage but only if teammates don't quit. I think it's the best looking layout out of all the forge maps... It definitely has some of the worst spawning problems in the game though. There should be a teleport near the tower.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Play Hemmorhage get sniper, get hunted down by three teammates for the Sniper Rifle, get run over by one of them with the Revenant and instead of it being a betrayal, it's considered a suicide. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom