• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggytronz

Im sticking with Reach through and through. Im not a fan of Black Ops at all, people seem to think that they are getting MORE goodness out of Black Ops than MW2. When imo they are getting the same BS that MW2 offered and more BS that previous COD games offered as well. It looks like junk and plays like junk (hip fire auto-aim comes to mind, really? really?)......and thats my opinion.

Population counts are hovering between 600k-1 million players per day. I remember looking at H3's population hovering around 700k-800k at this point, I'd say player counts are pretty similar this time around, but with more fluctuation.

Zeouterlimits said:
What stuff did Treyarch put in that people really wanted that Reach didn't do more of?BLOPS sold due to being a quality but unoriginal (and well marketed) addition to the COD franchise. I see no mystically requested feature added. The theatre is neat, but beyond that?
Shooter fans are preferring the fragile quick shooter right now. It's a part of why Sprint was so requested and became part of Reach.

In terms of what the majority of fans were calling for, Reach gave... almost too much, to the point where quality slipped.
Which I think may be Reach's core issue.

Black ops didnt really add to the game, but refined the gameplay to the extent that I love it. With MW2 I would put the disk in, bitched about noob toobs or something and then switch back to Halo. With Black Ops they have literally systematically gone through the annoyances and nerfed them. I wasnt going to buy black ops initially, but after reading the updates I was sold, Treyarch did the kind of balancing that makes the game fun.

I wasnt expecting the gameplay to be much different, but on playing the game I was actually kind of shocked, it just didnt feel like CoD. But I kind of prefer the new feel they went with. So yeah, credit where credits due, Black Ops isnt just another WaW esque reskin of MW. Its not a huge jump either though, but meh im only buying it because its more of that CoD flavoured gameplay.

I have to say that my hype for black ops was at a all time low, even when I had the game fresh in my hands I wasnt hyped to play it, but after reading the updates I felt it could be fun, so saying it sold on hype alone is simply not true. I only brought it because I knew as an informed customer that it was going to focus more on the gunplay, and less on the killstreaks/ shotguns/ noob tubes/ etc. To be fair the core gameplay hasnt evolved much, but because of the small refinments the flow of combat is a lot different. Its evolved just enough for me to not feel burnt out on CoD.

Im the kind of guy who prefers Halos more solid player vs player battles to CoDs more fragile plays and simply prefer Halo to CoD, but I felt the need to rebuttle your post, simply because Black Ops is a lot better than most people will give it credit for. Im going to be switching between both games but Black Ops is going to see a LOT of game time in my xbox, much more than the previous CoD's have since CoD4.

I hate to say it, but Reach is full of the kind of gimmicks that put me off MW2, I honestly can say that I only ever play BTB on Reach, simply because the competative arena type play annoys me.

The real question is, once Black ops inevitably gets glitched (like all the CoDs do. :lol ), how will Treyarch respond, im willing to bet I will be back on Reach simply because of Bungies numerous (and amazing) post release updates.

Hey You

I honestly don't care which game is doing better in terms of numbers. As long as people are still playing it and playing the way it is meant to be played (no network stuff,hacking etc) I'm happy.

I'll keep playing and remove anybody who doesn't play the same game as me anymore.

bobs99 ... said:
but I felt the need to rebuttle your post, simply because Black Ops is a lot better than most people will give it credit for. Im going to be switching between both games but Black Ops is going to see a LOT of game time in my xbox, much more than the previous CoD's have since CoD4.

I hate to say it, but Reach is full of the kind of gimmicks that put me off MW2, I honestly can say that I only ever play BTB on Reach, simply because the competative arena type play annoys me.

The real question is, once Black ops inevitably gets glitched (like all the CoDs do. :lol ), how will Treyarch respond, im willing to bet I will be back on Reach simply because of Bungies numerous (and amazing) post release updates.
My point would be that is I don't think BLOPS is a bad game at all, that Treyarch seem to have done a bang up job. I'm not trying to knock BLOPS at all, just contrast it to Reach's situation, in response to LAUGHTREY's post earlier.
I've watched a 2+ hour stream of BLOPS multiplayer. Other than some weapon and perk changes it's what we know as MW multiplayer in a different setting. A quality version of that, but that none the less.
And that's what people wanted. 80% (guess, i.e. most) of the people who bought it knew nothing specific about the game, just that it was more COD and are happy with that.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Raide said:
Great use of Hologram. All it takes is someone to shoot once or twice at the Hologram and its enough to force them to reload while you drill rounds into their skull.:lol
Even if they don't reload I can still try to get the first shot and usually that's all that's needed. It's really fun to use hahaha

feel

Domino Theory said:
I'll have 15 flaming helmet avatar codes to give away when GameStop gets their shit together and sends them to me.
I only needed 1, but fine, send me 15 if you really have to.

Ramirez said:
The gameplay of 3 was good enough to carry it even through the abysmal playlists, I'm not sure I can say the same for this one.

Like right now there's 60K people on, I could be having a bad memory but just a few months ago Halo 3's Social Slayer usually had 50K+ on at any time.
Considering my Xbox Live friends list is primarily made up of hardcore Halo fans, seeing that so few of them are playing Reach when I check is telling.

LosDaddie

Banned
Domino Theory said:
I'll have 15 flaming helmet avatar codes to give away when GameStop gets their shit together and sends them to me.

So, the DLC pre-order bonus is confirmed to be an XBL Avatar flaming helmet, and not an in-game flaming helmet?

Miggytronz

Captain Blood said:
Considering my Xbox Live friends list is primarily made up of hardcore Halo fans, seeing that so few of them are playing Reach when I check is telling.

My list is currently 99% BLOPS players.....I need to revamp my list to reflect more Reach players.

Mikasangelos said:
My list is currently 99% BLOPS players.....I need to revamp my list to reflect more Reach players.

Any predictions on BLOPS staying power 60+ days after release? I have a memory of Halo 3 taking a hit when GTA IV came out but then rebounding a couple months later. GTA and COD are completely different franchises obviously but what are BLOPS players thoughts on the games depth/staying power?

I'm enjoying Reach more than Halo 3 at this point but in order for that to remain the case Bungie is going to have to hit back-to-back-to-back homeruns on their DLC maps AND keep polishing the existing maps and playlists. Something of a tall order.

Also had a chance to watch Tashi's stream last night. Learned some things. He played pretty good for a cereal.

Miggytronz

sZHHp.jpg

Mikasangelos said:
Yeah, everyone that used to be my Reach buddies have moved on to BLOPs. It's kind of turned me off on Halo, as I find Reach to be immensely fun with friends. Otherwise, it's good, but I'd rather dig into my backlog than play by myself.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
DJ Lushious said:
Yeah, everyone that used to be my Reach buddies have moved on to BLOPs. It's kind of turned me off on Halo, as I find Reach to be immensely fun with friends. Otherwise, it's good, but I'd rather dig into my backlog than play by myself.

Reach IS more fun, it's the quitters that's pissing a lot of people off. All of my "clan" buddies stopped reach for the same reason I'm not playing it right now.

Getting ass raped 4+ to 1 over and over isn't fun.

Bregmann Roche said:
Any predictions on BLOPS staying power 60+ days after release? I have a memory of Halo 3 taking a hit when GTA IV came out but then rebounding a couple months later. GTA and COD are completely different franchises obviously but what are BLOPS players thoughts on the games depth/staying power?

I'm enjoying Reach more than Halo 3 at this point but in order for that to remain the case Bungie is going to have to hit back-to-back-to-back homeruns on their DLC maps AND keep polishing the existing maps and playlists. Something of a tall order.

Also had a chance to watch Tashi's stream last night. Learned some things. He played pretty good for a cereal.

The map pack and MLG play lists will most assuredly perk the numbers back up for a bit.

I have the same addiction feeling for BLOPS as I did for MW and Halo 3,2,CE...I don't think I have felt that way about reach. Maybe next arena season....

aesop said:
You think the sales number took a hit because of armor lock? :lol :lol

No, but it drove people away.

aesop

LAUGHTREY said:
I think this and the player counts are showing a clear sign that the whole 'Father knows best' attitude when it comes to games is on the outs. IW and Treyarch put all the stuff in their game that people wanted, and we got armor lock and bloom.

Just a thought.

You think the sales number took a hit because of armor lock? :lol :lol

And I think you're being a little too favorable of CoD right now because of your AL hate. While I'll agree that Treyarch has come a long way and Blops fixes a lot of the issues people had with MW2, it also broke everything that MW2 did right. The netcode is absolute garbage right now. Have you tried playing multiplayer with a party? The game is ugly (yeah it runs at 60 fps, but you can see the shortcuts they took to get there without looking very hard). The sound is terrible (MW2 had great sound and this is just trash, simply put). The hit detection is lolworthy. Et cetera.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Did Juices get hired yet?

Hes back. Yaaaay. :D

As for those achievments - nice! It was a smart move to add achievments that you dont need the map pack to earn, will definatly drag some people into matchmaking to try them out.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
Did Juices get hired yet?
Welcome back to our special community.
Dax01 said:
Haven't you heard? Halo has flatlined. Nothing can save it at this point.
I was describing sales relative to Halo 3, which are flat. It's a descriptive term, not judgmental one.

Sales are also very good. You don't see too many ~3.5m in two month sellers out there.

Dax01 said:
Haven't you heard? Halo has flatlined. Nothing can save it at this point.

Yeah. Consensus here is that you guys screwed up. Should've put a 4 in the title. I would also add "the Stars" to get the casuals on-board. "Halo: Reach 4 the Stars!". Bundle that game with Kinect and some music peripherals and you would've had liquid gold. Now you lose to a game with an acronym that sounds like terds.

Also people don't like the Cage and Armor Lock.

Bregmann Roche said:
Yeah. Consensus here is that you guys screwed up. Should've put a 4 in the title. I would also add "the Stars" to get the casuals on-board. "Halo: Reach 4 the Stars!". Bundle that game with Kinect and some music peripherals and you would've had liquid gold. Now you lose to a game with an acronym that sounds like terds.

Also people don't like the Cage and Armor Lock.
Perfect.:lol

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Ghaleon, I wasn't even thinking of you when I typed that out.:lol
Heh. I used the phrase "sales have flatlined" to mean they were at parity with Halo 3, and got a lot of push back in the NPD thread, so I assumed you meant me. :lol

Though FWIW, those sales don't include the bundled 360 SKU, so sales overall may well be equal. And that's still a whole lotta pancakes. But in the backdrop of double the user base and a rapidly growing CoD market, I think it's disappointing.

Miggytronz

Tashi0106 said:
It's definitely disappointing but we kind of saw it coming. That casual shooter fan jumped ship.

this, most people cant adjust to gameplay that addes variety like Reach does, bitch about how crappy Reach is (when really they just suck) and play COD/Black Ops.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Mikasangelos said:
this, most people cant adjust to gameplay that addes variety like Reach does, bitch about how crappy Reach is (when really they just suck) and play COD/Black Ops.

Nah I think they left before Reach even came out.

aesop

Dax01 said:
I think we can all agree that Armor Lock and Bloom are entirely to blame for Reach's sales (compared to Halo 3 and BlOps).

I think it's the lack of guitar riffs and massive XP for doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom