• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxjuicesxx said:
Imagine Halo in 60fps.

That would be awesome. No more random framerates messing with your gameplay in MP. Just pure silk.

Shadowrun did it, why can't Halo?
TOWwx.jpg

Arrrr

Ajemsuhgao said:
Something something, PC gaming is dead because of pirates hurr, something something.

I mean I guess but you still can't get online with a pirated version. Sure people could play through a cracked campaign but they won't be getting the full Halo experience.

xxjuicesxx said:
I mean I guess but you still can't get online with a pirated version. Sure people could play through a cracked campaign but they won't be getting the full Halo experience.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people playing it over LAN.

Sai-kun

Banned
Is XBL not being cool for anyone? My roomie and I are trying to sign in on two different 360's, but it says an update is required but unavailable. help?

Rorschach said:
That's just the nature of elite slayer w/ armor lock.

Really, armor lock has pretty much ruined Elite Slayer. When I get into the rare match where people are evading and stuff it's awesome. But 99% of the time, it's teams of armor lockers and sticky grenades everywhere. Sad.

timetokill said:
Really, armor lock has pretty much ruined Elite Slayer. When I get into the rare match where people are evading and stuff it's awesome. But 99% of the time, it's teams of armor lockers and sticky grenades everywhere. Sad.

Heh that's why I love Elite Slayer actually. In Multiteam, it's pure mayhem and I enjoy every second of it.

Kujo

NameGenerated said:
Saw my first dude with inclement weather today. Looks even more obnoxious and stupid than the youtube videos of it.
Just had a game before with someone with this armor effect on.

He was a damn Field Marshall. He didn't even play, he just left the game on so he could get the credits. I checked his profile, he seems to just idle in 80% of his games to rank up. His KD ratio was 0.3. What is the point....

Gui_PT

Plywood said:
Just go back to Halo 3 on PC, it's so much better.

Whoever worked on Halo 3's PC version really listened to the complaints that the AR sounded weak.

And:

Shootin' and Lootin' - 3000cR

Kill 400 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Just a Shower - 2000cR

Complete any Campaign mission on Normal or harder with Thunderstorm on.

Killagruntjaro! - 1000cR

Earn 10 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game.

Chaddlesby's Justice - 1000cR

Avenge your teammates' deaths 7 times in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Daily Challenge: Chaddlesby's Justice (1000cR) - Avenge your teammates' deaths 7 times in multiplayer Matchmak... http://bit.ly/bBwRCh

Daily Challenge: Killagruntjaro! (1000cR) - Earn 10 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game. http://bit.ly/bBwRCh

Daily Challenge: Just a Shower (2000cR) - Complete any Campaign mission on Normal or harder with Thunderstorm ... http://bit.ly/bBwRCh

Daily Challenge: Shootin' and Lootin' (3000cR) - Kill 400 enemies in any game mode in Reach. http://bit.ly/bBwRCh

Edit Beaten...

Devin Olsen said:
No it wouldn't... It would just be Halo: CE again - aka: awesome.
Please never become a game designer.

With no bloom, hitscan, increased damage, and the same potential fire rate, the DMR in this 'classic' Reach would arguably be more powerful than Halo CE's pistol ever was. Since the magnum damage has been 'decreased' with these settings, I can only assume it takes more than five shots to kill, so let's say it's six. Boom: the magnum just became not very useful on any map where a DMR user fires first. Oh, but if you don't have a DMR, the magnum at close range will bring a whole new meaning to the words 'pistol spam'. Like, it will kill you in about a second and you will barely have to aim; people will be shrieking 'magnum noob' within minutes. If the AR accuracy has been decreased, it has become worthless; there is simply no reason to ever use it, even at point-blank range, where it's time to kill is going to be massively slower than a magnum's. The sniper rifle, too, becomes close to worthless on any map where, as with its current firing rate it's only very slightly faster to kill someone with it over a DMR/magnum, and it has less ammo, a shallower clip, and a longer reload.

With no concordant adjustments to the Needle Rifle's damage, it also becomes worthless on any map where there is a DMR/magnum (and if they did adjust it, they would have to remove the supercombine, or it would effectively become a light machine gun with a scope that can cross-map; do I need to explain why this is stupid?).

The DMR's time to kill is now about as fast as firing a rocket launcher the length of one of Sword Base's bridges. It and the magnum now kill quick enough that unless you spawn inside lunge range or plan to camp a corner until someone wanders by, no one need ever bother picking up a sword or shotgun. In fact, every DMR on the map in a game without DMR starts just became a more important control point than any of the power weapons. In games with DMR starts, you just turned the standard gameplay into SWAT with one second of foreplay. Given how slow Reach's melee is compared to CE's, you are better off just continuing firing. Throwing a grenade is similarly slow enough that unless you are trying to frag some place you can't shoot into, you're better off continuing firing. So you just kicked two legs out of the golden tripod and turned it into the one almighty golden schlong. At this point, why are you not playing Counterstrike?

Many (most!) people considered Halo CE's pistol hilariously unbalanced, but this new 'classic' DMR has a deeper clip, a better scope, a tighter reticle, and can strip shields with three body shots that can be spammed with perfect accuracy across the length of Hemorrhage in less than a second. Giving its unchecked firing rate, the magnum is almost as bad. On any map larger than Reflection/Zealot, there is no almost no reason to touch other guns that aren't the sniper/rockets, and even those weapons have their usefulness reduced. The magnum has become something like a rapid-firing hunting rifle. Cool!

People have a lot of fondness for CE, but for the most part they played it via LAN or splitscreen with friends, and so have no concept of how it would play in a competitive online environment (with added latency!). And CE is better balanced than these settings are, seriously. These settings are really dumb, for real, and break the game to the point where one weapon is perfect in every situation, most of the other weapons are thus redundant, and where most of the game's existing nuance and depth (and we can argue the toss on some of the decisions made toward that depth, like Armour Lock) is reduced to who can line up their reticle quickest. Again, why are you not playing Counterstrike?

Mojo said:
Just had a game before with someone with this armor effect on.

He was a damn Field Marshall. He didn't even play, he just left the game on so he could get the credits. I checked his profile, he seems to just idle in 80% of his games to rank up. His KD ratio was 0.3. What is the point....

Holy crap.

Thats insane, 0.3! Whats the point of ranking up if your never playing the game. :lol

Raide said:
:lol

Bungie, we need more 'link Gamertag and get 3000 points' Maybe a whole week of them, just to keep Juices playing.

Isnt it about time we got more than 3K for challenges? Surely by now the population is at the stage where they also need like 100K just to rank up? If not hurry up guys, im sick of being held back by you! :lol

Why is killing 400 enemies worth 3k this time? It was worth 4k last time, not fussed about that difference but I just find the inconsistancy odd.

Shake Appeal - people who played that Mod would probably be playing as if its Halo 1, so Halo 1 weapons only, on remakes of maps like Hang em High. A DMR that worked like a Halo 1 Pistol would be heaven on that, I REALLY doubt people would bother with the Reach pistol or NR if they were playing on those settings, it would be less true to the gameplay. And lets be honest, people who want precision weapons that are fun to use arent exactly gonna use the AR.

Mr. Sam said:
Wait, some people actually play games for fun? Weirdos...

Weird right? Wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

bobs99 ... said:
Isnt it about time we got more than 3K for challenges? Surely by now the population is at the stage where they also need like 100K just to rank up? If not hurry up guys, im sick of being held back by you! :lol

Why is killing 400 enemies worth 3k this time? It was worth 4k last time, not fussed about that difference but I just find the inconsistancy odd.

Shake Appeal - people who played that Mod would probably be playing as if its Halo 1, so Halo 1 weapons only, on remakes of maps like Hang em High. A DMR that worked like a Halo 1 Pistol would be heaven on that, I REALLY doubt people would bother with the Reach pistol or NR if they were playing on those settings, it would be less true to the gameplay. And lets be honest, people who want precision weapons that are fun to use arent exactly gonna use the AR.

Weird right? Wibbly wobbly timey wimey.

Halo CE pistol wasn't hitscan.

Magni

v42PE.png

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=328180130&player=SAE Magni

:D

I was on Skype with my brother during the last stretch, I was like "hang on I might actually get us back in the game" :lol (Sharpshooter brought us back from a 14 kill deficit)

edit: Why is "Epic comeback" a banned file name? What the fuck?
edit2: Epic is a banned word now? FUCK censorship, what the hell? This is as stupid as "Assault" being banned..
edit3: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=10001186&player=SAE Magni
currently being rendered, it's not leet skills, just staying alive while getting kills :D

MagniHarvald said:
v42PE.png

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=328180130&player=SAE Magni

:D

I was on Skype with my brother during the last stretch, I was like "hang on I might actually get us back in the game" :lol (Sharpshooter brought us back from a 14 kill deficit)

edit: Why is "Epic comeback" a banned file name? What the fuck?
edit2: Epic is a banned word now? FUCK censorship, what the hell? This is as stupid as "Assault" being banned..
edit3: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=10001186&player=SAE Magni
currently being rendered, it's not leet skills, just staying alive while getting kills :D
Epic is banned because of this

I think using hologram as an AA makes me play more conservative. I seem to be dying way less.

I still am having some really bad off days though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gui_PT said:
I haven't gotten a single Avenge medal yet.

Anyone know the best playlist for that?
Checking my stats I'd say Team Swat or BTB, you just gotta kill the guy shortly after he killed your teammate.

Gui_PT

Plywood said:
Checking my stats I'd say Team Swat or BTB, you just gotta kill the guy shortly after he killed your teammate.

Thanks, I got it after a couple of games. Problem is, you only have 2 or 3 seconds after your team mate dies to get the medal. So Swat is probably the best way to have a go at it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BlueScrote said:
I think using hologram as an AA makes me play more conservative. I seem to be dying way less.

I still am having some really bad off days though.
This is true. I recently gave Hologram a shot and, I'm actually getting Killing Sprees much more often.

Falt

Plywood said:

Yeah, definitely Swat. I got it earlier today within a couple of games.

Curious, how are you guys getting on with the weekly? 35/50 myself.

Gui_PT

Falt said:

I'm 35/50 too. Doing it on Swat. I'd do Team Slayer or Team Objective if I could get a party of my own.

Falt

timetokill said:
Yep... with the DMR's range, that map is completely ruined. on SWAT it's even worse :lol
Pinnacle is by far my least favourtie map. The blue team spawn closer to Snipe, Rocket and Shottie off the bat which makes the power weapon struggle heavily one sided from the get go.

Kuroyume said:
Yeah yeah you guys like to use hologram and wear it like a badge of honor. Shut up already

Begging for an avatar quote :lol

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Falt said:

37/50
Gui_PT said:
I'm 35/50 too. Doing it on Swat. I'd do Team Slayer or Team Objective if I could get a party of my own.
I'll be on in a few.

Anybody around that wants to help with some ForgeGAF customs? We could really use a few to bring us to round out the numbers. We're on now, so if you're available, join: BEARCANO

Come on and play with your fellow GAFfers a bit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom