• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember R E A C H |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Armor lock doesn't need removed, it just needs heavily retooled. Change the amount of time in between partial uses too make it a lot less effective as a "weapon". AL works best in BTB, but it still needs some tweaks. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing something like the Dropshield used as a pickup on some maps, but only if it didn't ruin things.

Hey You

timetokill said:
Anybody around that wants to help with some ForgeGAF customs? We could really use a few to bring us to round out the numbers. We're on now, so if you're available, join: BEARCANO

Come on and play with your fellow GAFfers a bit :D
Sorry I bailed on the second game. Both my controllers were acting up. They couldn't stay connected for more than 3 minutes.

Kibbles said:
Is this a modded gametype that anyone can play on?
put in matchmaking

Oh and wtf is this? Pre-order 3 maps woo hoo... :lol http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/...email&utm_content=feat&utm_campaign=HaloDLCnm
I've got an xport, so i can probably find it on the net and drop it into my 360HDD and if you guys like we can mess around with it in customs today...:lol

Looks interesting to say the least.

kylej said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVXhylXuLd8 Figured you guys might like this. Credit to Max22 at SA.
I like it, its amazing. should be a blame shosh for next week.
but in all honesty, if that happened to any of us on an off day, considering we'd already be playing in Spire :shudders:... we'd probably rage quit. :lol

Ramirez said:
Cool, thanks.

That clip is even better than I thought, I got a headshot during all of that spam on the 3rd kill. :lol

You dont even bother aiming at the head anymore? :lol

To be fair, at the range the chances of that happening are slim, that was a one off, my problems with bloom come from the fact that close range combat is basically pretty shit now because it really does just turn into spamming.

enzo_gt said:
What exactly is wrong with this? I see reticule bloom in action and working as such. Sucks to be that guy who got headshotted when the reticule bloomed, but the chances of this happening frequently are slim, because well, it doesn't happen very often at all.

That right there is the problem, bloom working properly is a clusterfuck. That was a one off, but it still happens a lot for people who play the game a lot. I read something ages ago where someone said that bloom would work a lot better if the bullets could only land on the outer radius of the bloom circle, never in the middle, that could be better?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
bobs99 ... said:
That right there is the problem, bloom working properly is a clusterfuck. That was a one off, but it still happens a lot for people who play the game a lot. I read something ages ago where someone said that bloom would work a lot better if the bullets could only land on the outer radius of the bloom circle, never in the middle, that could be better?
It.. is working properly? I don't understand the bloom hate, it's one of the best additions to the series with reach IMO. The second ring is not there to show you "your gun can only hit in this ring now," but that your accuracy can vary anywhere within the area of the expanded bloom circle now. And I've played the game quite a fair bit and that kind of situation occurs once in a blue moon. It isn't gamebreaking at all, because in the risk vs. reward situation in that video, it's much, much more likely that the person who took their time to pop off the last shot would be the winner of the DMR battle.

Are people just mad at the element of chance being present in DMR battles? Functions well to prevent DMR spam most of the time. Most, ofcourse.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ramirez said:
Cool, thanks.

That clip is even better than I thought, I got a headshot during all of that spam on the 3rd kill. :lol

Yeah, I was going to comment "Spam, Spam, Spam, TRIPLE KILL" but I didn't want to come off as an ass. It's a funny clip, and an example of the weapon (bloom) being way too random. If someone is spamming that much, their bullets shouldn't hit shit, or conversely, there should be no bloom.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I was thinking about this earlier today and I surprised myself at the similarities.

Shadowrun-------> Halo: Reach
Reticule Bloom ------> Reticule Bloom
Shipped with 9 maps -------> Shipped with 9 maps
Glider Ability -------> Jetpack
Ogres' health hardens as they approach death ------> Armor Lock
Health/Ability difference from Human, Elf and Ogre ------> Spartan vs Elite differences
Ogres take more damage/larger hitbox -------> Elites
Elves regen health quicker -------> Elites again

Yikes.

Ramirez

No one in this game actually times their shots, you might do it occasionally (really long range more than likely), but every time I try to time them, I get beat by a guy that's spamming. The mechanic is trash, the clip showcases how completely random it can be.

Shadowrun's rifle is pretty much a DMR as well, the game's obviously have a lot of similarities just from the fact that the guy worked on both. I swear if this game didn't have Halo attached to it, it would probably sitting in the bargain bin right next to Shadowrun.

Are people just mad at the element of chance being present in DMR battles?

The element of chance should never be a factor in a competitive MP game, lag already brings enough chance to games, why stack more stuff on top of it?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ramirez said:
No one in this game actually times their shots, you might do it occasionally (really long range more than likely), but every time I try to time them, I get beat by a guy that's spamming. The mechanic is trash, the clip showcases how completely random it can be.

Shadowrun's rifle is pretty much a DMR as well, the game's obviously have a lot of similarities just from the fact that the guy worked on both. I swear if this game didn't have Halo attached to it, it would probably sitting in the bargain bin right next to Shadowrun.

The element of chance should never be a factor in a competitive MP game, lag already brings enough chance to games, why stack more stuff on top of it?
In a competitive MP game, where people do spam, you've never won a headshot from timing your final blow to the head of an enemy from dropped shields? I'd rather that than the BR having sniper-rifle like accuracy from the other side of the map, effectively being an all-range weapon. I can think of countless times I've won DMR battles by waiting a sliver of a second for the bloom to subside and take the last shot for the kill while the other player was still whizzing shots past me in desperate and frantic attempts to get me first.

I think the bloom serves its purpose well, and makes it actually take skill to use the rifle instead of just keeping your reticule centered on the other person's head for the entire time until they die. With the bloom, you also have to make the conscious decision as to whether it's optimal to continue with body shots or risk the headshot for the kill.

If anything needs to go, it's armor lock.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Ramirez said:

Screenshot2010-11-20at30455PM.png

Your center reticle is on the enemy's head and you get a headshot. It's cool to not like reticle bloom, but that clip isn't demonstrative of wild trigger pulls being rewarded. The other two kills are at even closer range, and your reticle is dead on your enemy's head in both cases.

Kuroyume

Banned
So what you're saying is that Bungie decided to only ship with 9 maps because Shadowrun shipped with 9 maps? I don't know dude that sounds crazy.

Ramirez

urk said:

Your center reticle is on the enemy's head and you get a headshot. It's cool to not like reticle bloom, but that clip isn't demonstrative of wild trigger pulls being rewarded. The other two kills are at even closer range, and your reticle is dead on your enemy's head in both cases.

Get mad.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
urk said:

So the reticle is that big yet the bullet goes forward for the headshot? wat

Isn't that counter-productive to what bloom is supposed to accomplish?

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
I was thinking about this earlier today and I surprised myself at the similarities.

Shadowrun-------> Halo: Reach
Reticule Bloom ------> Reticule Bloom
Shipped with 9 maps -------> Shipped with 9 maps
Glider Ability -------> Jetpack
Ogres' health hardens as they approach death ------> Armor Lock
Health/Ability difference from Human, Elf and Ogre ------> Spartan vs Elite differences
Ogres take more damage/larger hitbox -------> Elites
Elves regen health quicker -------> Elites again

Yikes.
Eh. There are so many variables when differentiating classes. Movement speed, size, health, health recharge speed. Sage definitely lifted from Shadowrun - reticule bloom is the most notable - but much of what you listed are just the knobs and levers available to balance classes and apply to scores of games.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Going to hop on and see how the quitting situation is.

urk said:

Kinda like the Legendary edition being rare eh? :lol

I kid, I kid, but seriously. F you and the rest of Bungie for lying to us suckers about the legendary edition.

As for the quitting situation, just did a round and had 4 quitters, not TOO bad since it was BTB, but it's still bad, that said, playing again reminded me how much better Halo is than COD.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=329201753&player=AlienShogun

Domino Theory said:

Then there's this, which is EXACTLY what Ramirez was pointing out.

Striker

Alienshogun said:

I kid, I kid, but seriously. F you and the rest of Bungie for lying to us suckers about the legendary edition.
They did the same for Halo 3. Let's blame others for your own foolish decision.

Alienshogun said:
Going to hop on and see how the quitting situation is.

Are you upset that it isn't rare, or just bummed that you could have gotten it for cheap now?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Captain Blood said:
Are you upset that it isn't rare, or just bummed that you could have gotten it for cheap now?

That it isn't actually "rare," but the two go hand in hand.

Striker said:
They did the same for Halo 3. Let's blame others for your own foolish decision.

If you look back, you will see I admitted I was an idiot for falling for it, get better at trolling. Then there is also the fact I referred to myself as a sucker.

Still doesn't excuse them for saying it was going to be rare again.

Captain Blood said:
So just because it isn't rare you wouldn't have gotten it?

No, I would have gotten it regardless, I would just have liked what I bought to actually have been rare like it was stated to be.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:
Eh, it's only been two months. Give it some time.

Besides, you already have the Legendary Edition. What's done is done.

To be fair, I'm not really that pissed, more or less just ribbing an already seemingly irritable urk.

LAUGHTREY said:
How grown up of you.

Oh, please, don't give me that crap.

Ramirez said:
Well, it's already down to $120 at all the websites, if it were actually rare, I don't think you'd see a price drop so fast.

At the end of the day though, they're a business, and making money is the first priority, so of course they're going to tell you it's rare.

True enough.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
How grown up of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DVe7bYi_8

Video of a mod that removes bloom.

I never doubted that it could be taken out or reduced to nothing, I just want to see how it plays and how easy it would be to shoot the DMR super fast 5 times and get the kill, it seems hard to miss with the DMR in this game if the bloom is centered. Or maybe it's exactly what the game needs to give it that faster bit of pace and bring it back to halo 1/2 level.

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:
Eh, it's only been two months. Give it some time.

Besides, you already have the Legendary Edition. What's done is done.

Well, it's already down to $120 at all the websites, if it were actually rare, I don't think you'd see a price drop so fast.

At the end of the day though, they're a business, and making money is the first priority, so of course they're going to tell you it's rare.

Arnie

Ramirez said:

Yes, yes and yes.

Ram is like my alter ego tonight.

I put the game in last night for a quick multiplayer session, played one game and turned it off. I could play Halo 2 or 3 for 5 hours straight 2 years after they launched and have an awesome experience, I can't even play more than 5 minutes of this without feeling burned and disappointed. This isn't a sequel, it's more of a departure to Halo's core gameplay than ODST.

Saying all this, playing some Legendary campaign today reminded me why it's my favourite singleplayer of the bunch. The mission and enemy variety are so good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Domino Theory said:

The centre circle is still within the area of the larger circle, so yeah theres always a chance the bullet will go through and hit in the centre of both reticles, and get a headshot. Which happens rarely, as seen in Ramirez' video.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Alienshogun said:
To be fair, I'm not really that pissed, more or less just ribbing an already seemingly irritable urk.

I'm happy to watch Ram's vids. Even rendered this one in HD so I could take a closer look.

I was closely involved in the production of the Legendary Edition, from reviewing the materials to reviewing the packaging itself. We were concerned from day one about the number of Legendary Editions being produced and I was reassured numerous times, by numerous people working on the project, that the first (and only) run was intended to meet demand, and no more.

I still don't think we're looking at a cat helmet situation. The lower price is across all SKU's, intended to act as "door busters" for the holiday season. You can find the main SKU for less than sixty bucks at several retailers as well. If you feel like you were swindled, I apologize, and I hope that at the least you found the contents and quality of the Legendary Edition worth the expense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Arnie said:
Yes, yes and yes.

Ram is like my alter ego tonight.

I put the game in last night for a quick multiplayer session, played one game and turned it off. I could play Halo 2 or 3 for 5 hours straight 2 years after they launched and have an awesome experience, I can't even play more than 5 minutes of this without feeling burned and disappointed. This isn't a sequel, it's more of a departure to Halo's core gameplay than ODST.

Saying all this, playing some Legendary campaign today reminded me why it's my favourite singleplayer of the bunch. The mission and enemy variety are so good.

:lol I just put the game in, and if my COD buddies don't get on tonight I intend to play Reach some more. This long break made me forget how good it really is, bloom and all (even if it's a bit off). Only 4 quitters in BTB didn't break the game, so long as it remains unfrustrating I think this will be my go to game again.

How are the quitters in Arena now? I haven't been in since season 2.

urk said:
I'm happy to watch Ram's vids. Even rendered this one in HD so I could take a closer look.

I was closely involved in the production of the Legendary Edition, from reviewing the materials to reviewing the packaging itself. We were concerned from day one about the number of Legendary Editions being produced and I was reassured numerous times, by numerous people working on the project, that the first (and only) run was intended to meet demand, and no more.

I still don't think we're looking at a cat helmet situation. The lower price is across all SKU's, intended to act as "door busters" for the holiday season. You can find the main SKU for less than sixty bucks at several retailers as well. If you feel like you were swindled, I apologize, and I hope that at the least you found the contents and quality of the Legendary Edition worth the expense.

You're not getting out of that wedgie, or that wet willy good sir.

I still love what I got, I just was hoping it would be rarer than it is, not a huge deal, I'm more or less just funnin' with ya.

Sibylus

Banned
Ramirez said:
In a competitive MP game where shooting skill is the only thing that matters, certainly. But in my view, such games grow thin quickly and have little lasting appeal. And Halo, with its vehicle skirmishes and recharging energy shields, isn't that kind of game in the first place.

Directed chance breaks up some of the monotony of combat. That's why I like things like reticle bloom.

Striker

Alienshogun said:
If you look back, you will see I admitted I was an idiot for falling for it, get better at trolling. Then there is also the fact I referred to myself as a sucker.

Still doesn't excuse them for saying it was going to be rare again.
Yet you still believed it? And I'm the troll. :lol

I do have to say, the book and the statue really help the LE edition, I am impressed with the amount of detail in the book though, pretty nice with the stuff. However, I still think the H2 one was my favorite with all of the video specials and so on we got with it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Botolf said:
In a competitive MP game where shooting skill is the only thing that matters, certainly. But in my view, such games grow thin quickly and have little lasting appeal. And Halo, with its vehicle skirmishes and recharging energy shields, isn't that kind of game in the first place.

Directed chance breaks up some of the monotony of combat. That's why I like things like reticle bloom.

Except when you are looking for the competitive shooter experience, not the "anything can happen" experience.

I bet you if bloom as adjustable MLG might have either tweaked it, or removed it all together, then limited weapons based on that, but I could be way off base.

Ramirez is arguing for competitive play, not random BTB matches. In competitive play maps are typically sterilized, (power weapons are moved on maps for balance, powerups the same, architecture moved to promote "equal standing."

Ram is looking for any "chance" to be removed from the equation, and for what he wants he isn't off base.

Striker said:
Yet you still believed it? And I'm the troll. :lol

Are you even reading what I typed?

Nevermind, don't even bother answering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom